|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what city does Reyna de Serena say she is going when she leaves Venice in “Wine Stains: Venice, 1609”?
2. What was the group of Jews called that arrived in Venice from Egypt and Syria?
(a) The Galicia.
(b) The Ponentini.
(c) The Levantinis.
(d) The Hietzings.
3. How does the rabbi explain the principle use of kosher salt to Hanna in "Hanna: London, Spring 1996"?
(a) It is used to brine meat to remove blood.
(b) It is used to sprinkle on the table before eating.
(c) It is used to bless the food before eating.
(d) It is used to keep away evil spirits.
4. How much time passed between the day the monarchs signed the edict of expulsion of the Jews and the day they finally ordered its proclamation, according to the narrator in "Saltwater: Tarragona, 1492"?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Two days.
5. What Australian artist does Hanna complain about not being on display at the museum in the beginning of "Hanna: London, Spring 1996"?
(a) Sidney Nolan.
(b) Russel Drysdale.
(c) Arthur Streeton.
(d) Arthur Boyd.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hanna learn when she finally reaches Ozren's apartment on the phone in "Hanna: London, Spring 1996"?
2. What was the group of Jews called that arrived in Venice after being expelled from Spain and then Portugal by the Catholic monarchs?
3. By what nickname does Ruti's father call her?
4. Who is Hanna's friend that offers her a cottage in Hampstead in "Hanna: London, Spring 1996"?
5. What is the name of Zahra's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Reyna de Serena? How is her character introduced?
2. What does Reyna de Serena ask of Judah Aryeh in exchange for funds for the Jews in “Wine Stains: Venice, 1609”?
3. How is Ruti's relationship with Micha described in the narrative?
4. What information does Hanna learn about her father in "Hanna: Boston, Spring 1996"?
5. What problem does Father Vistorini find with the illustrations in the Sarajevo Haggadah?
6. How does Ruti come to learn that the soldiers are seeking her for arrest in “Saltwater: Tarragona, 1492”?
7. How is the birth of Rosa's baby described in “Saltwater: Tarragona, 1492”?
8. What is Ruti's relationship with Kabbalah? Why is this scandalous?
9. Who is Judah Aryeh? What is his relationship with Father Vistorini?
10. What has caused Hanna's mother to become hospitalized in "Hanna: Boston, Spring 1996"? Where does Hanna go to see her?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)