|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of David Ben Shoushan's brother?
2. In what year was the queen's confessor, Tomas de Torquemada named Grand Inquisitor of the Holy Inquisition?
3. How does the rabbi explain the principle use of kosher salt to Hanna in "Hanna: London, Spring 1996"?
(a) It is used to bless the food before eating.
(b) It is used to brine meat to remove blood.
(c) It is used to sprinkle on the table before eating.
(d) It is used to keep away evil spirits.
4. By what nickname does Ruti's father call her?
5. Who were the first Jews to settle in Venice in 1516?
(a) Polish pawnbrokers.
(b) Russian field workers.
(c) Russian bankers.
(d) German loan bankers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many commandments comprise the Talmud?
2. In what year did Pope Sixtus V proclaim a ban on any books by Jews or Saracens that contained anything against the Catholic Church?
3. What is the name of the bookbinder that Ruti becomes involved with?
4. What does the Zohar translate to?
5. Who has sent Hanna the photograph of the woman with the silver earring in "Hanna: London, Spring 1996"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Judah Aryeh? What is his relationship with Father Vistorini?
2. What are the repercussions of Reuben Ben Shoushan's confession?
3. What problem does Father Vistorini find with the illustrations in the Sarajevo Haggadah?
4. What has led to the conflicts that David Ben Shoushan faces in “Saltwater: Tarragona, 1492”?
5. How is the birth of Rosa's baby described in “Saltwater: Tarragona, 1492”?
6. What information does Hanna learn about her father in "Hanna: Boston, Spring 1996"?
7. What weakness does Judah Aryeh demonstrate in “Wine Stains: Venice, 1609”? What are the repercussions of this weakness?
8. What is the relationship like between David and Joseph Ben Shoushan in the novel?
9. Who is Reyna de Serena? How is her character introduced?
10. How does Rosa manage to escape arrest in “Saltwater: Tarragona, 1492”?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)