|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hanna describe the handwriting in the report by the ancient Near-Eastern manuscripts specialist that Hanna reads at the archives in “Hanna: Vienna, Spring 1996”?
(a) Neat and printed.
(b) It is typed.
(c) In fancy, elaborate cursive.
(d) Almost illegible.
2. What Muslim name do Serif and Stela give to Lola while she stays with them?
3. In what area did Hanna earn her PhD?
(a) American History.
(c) Fine art conservation.
(d) Ancient Near Eastern languages.
4. When did the Sarajevo seige begin in the Bosnian War?
5. What kind of cake is described as Werner's favorite in “Hanna: Vienna, Spring 1996”?
(b) Cherry cheesecake.
(c) Waves of the Danube cake.
(d) Strawberry shortcake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hanna go to first see the Sarajevo Haggadah in “Hanna: Sarajevo, Spring 1996”?
2. How does the narrative style of the novel change in “An Insect’s Wing: Sarajevo, 1940"?
3. In what subjects did Hanna earn double-honors degrees in college?
4. What word in the novel refers to an elementary school run by Sephardic Jews?
5. What does the saltwater used at the seder table represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Hanna come to Sarajevo in “Hanna: Sarajevo, Spring 1996”? Who accompanies her? What is Hanna's objective in this chapter?
2. How is life in the Kabal family home described in “An Insect’s Wing: Sarajevo, 1940”?
3. Describe Hanna's character in the novel. How old is Hanna? What is her focus of expertise?
4. How does Hanna describe her coming to work with Werner Heinrich initially in “Hanna: Vienna, Spring 1996"?
5. Who is Franz Hirschfeldt? How is his character described in “Feathers and a Rose: Vienna, 1894"?
6. What theory does Dr. Heinrich present regarding the binding on the Sarajevo Haggadah?
7. Who is Werner Heinrich and what is his relationship to Hanna?
8. Who are Serif and Stela Kamal and how does Lola know them?
9. What actions does Serif Kabal take to save the Sarajevo Haggadah?
10. Who is Isak and what is his relationship to Lola? What happens to Isak?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)