|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Hanna earn her PhD?
(a) Princeton University.
(b) Brown University.
(c) Rutgers University.
(d) Harvard University.
2. How are the book clasps to the Sarajevo Haggadah described in the report that Hanna reads in the archives in “Hanna: Vienna, Spring 1996”?
(a) "Cheap and faulty."
(b) "Water-damaged and rusted."
(c) "Rusted and worn."
(d) "Extraordinarily beautiful."
3. On what day of the week is the Muslim Sabbath?
4. What is Serif's last name in the novel?
5. What makes the Sarajevo Haggadah so rare and unusual?
(a) Jews believed that illustrations violated God's Commandments at this time.
(b) The statements made in the book go against Jewish law.
(c) The book was created and bound in a way that broke kosher Jewish laws.
(d) The style of the artistry in the book did not appear for over a hundred years later than it is dated.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hanna's former teacher and the leading Hebrew manuscripts specialist in the world?
2. In what subject did Hanna earn her master's degree?
3. In what subjects did Hanna earn double-honors degrees in college?
4. Where did Hanna spend six months learning how to properly mix wheat paste?
5. What does Hanna describe the parchments of the Sarajevo Haggadah having been made of in her assessment of them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Franz Hirschfeldt? How is his character described in “Feathers and a Rose: Vienna, 1894"?
2. Describe Hanna's character in the novel. How old is Hanna? What is her focus of expertise?
3. Who are Serif and Stela Kamal and how does Lola know them?
4. Who is Razmus Kanaha? How does Hanna know this character?
5. How does the narrative style of the novel change in “An Insect’s Wing: Sarajevo, 1940"? Why do you think the author makes this change?
6. What causes Hanna the guilt that she feels regarding Ozren in “Hanna: Vienna, Spring 1996"?
7. What notations does Hanna make during her inspection of the Sarajevo Haggadah? What samples does she take?
8. What theory does Dr. Heinrich present regarding the binding on the Sarajevo Haggadah?
9. How is life in the Kabal family home described in “An Insect’s Wing: Sarajevo, 1940”?
10. How does Hanna describe her coming to work with Werner Heinrich initially in “Hanna: Vienna, Spring 1996"?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)