|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is General Faber said to be the commander of in “An Insect’s Wing: Sarajevo, 1940"?
(a) The Nazi Party.
(b) The Black Hand units.
(c) The White Horse units.
(d) The Youth Guard.
2. What does Hanna describe as the source of the blue pigment in the panels of the Sarajevo Haggadah?
(a) Lapis lazuli.
(b) Squid ink.
3. Where is Hanna's home?
(a) Boston, U.S.
(b) Paris, France.
(c) New York, U.S.
(d) Sydney, Australia.
4. Where does Munib's father hide the haggadah in “An Insect’s Wing: Sarajevo, 1940"?
(a) In the floorboards of his home.
(b) In a Jewish cemetery.
(c) In a Muslim cemetery.
(d) In the library of the mosque.
5. When does the inscription in the Sarajevo Haggadah suggest that it was surveyed by Giovanni Domenico Vistorini?
6. Around what two things is life organized in Serif's home?
(a) Prayer and sleeping.
(b) Food and entertainment.
(c) Prayer and learning.
(d) Sewing and learning.
7. How old is Dr. Heinrich when Hanna visits him in 1996?
8. How does the narrative style of the novel change in “An Insect’s Wing: Sarajevo, 1940"?
(a) The narrative shifts from first-person to third-person.
(b) The narrative shifts from third-person to first-person.
(c) The narrative shifts from second-person to first-person.
(d) The narrative shifts from third-person to second-person.
9. Who is the chief archivist at the Historisches Museum der Stadt Wien?
(a) Amitai Yomtov.
(b) Jim Bardayal.
(c) Hamish Sajjan.
(d) Frau Zweig.
10. What makes the Sarajevo Haggadah so rare and unusual?
(a) Jews believed that illustrations violated God's Commandments at this time.
(b) The statements made in the book go against Jewish law.
(c) The style of the artistry in the book did not appear for over a hundred years later than it is dated.
(d) The book was created and bound in a way that broke kosher Jewish laws.
11. What happens to Isak's foot in “An Insect’s Wing: Sarajevo, 1940"?
(a) It is severed by machinery.
(b) It is shot by a soldier.
(c) It is blown off by a land mine.
(d) It becomes afflicted by frostbite.
12. What building does Lola make her way to in Sarajevo that her father once worked in, in “An Insect’s Wing: Sarajevo, 1940"?
(a) The art museum.
(b) The synagogue.
(c) The mosque.
(d) The finance ministry.
13. In what area did Hanna earn her PhD?
(b) American History.
(c) Fine art conservation.
(d) Ancient Near Eastern languages.
14. The word "haggadah" is from the Hebrew root word "hgd" which means what?
(a) To worship.
(b) To listen.
(c) To love.
(d) To tell.
15. Where has Hanna arrived in Part V of “Hanna: Sarajevo, Spring 1996”?
(b) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hanna's former teacher and the leading Hebrew manuscripts specialist in the world?
2. What kind of cake is described as Werner's favorite in “Hanna: Vienna, Spring 1996”?
3. Who is the head of the museum library that is said to have saved the Sarajevo Haggadah during the Bosnian War in the novel?
4. What is Hanna's mother's profession?
5. In what subject did Hanna earn her master's degree?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)