|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of cake is described as Werner's favorite in “Hanna: Vienna, Spring 1996”?
(b) Waves of the Danube cake.
(c) Strawberry shortcake.
(d) Cherry cheesecake.
2. On what day of the week is the Muslim Sabbath?
3. Who wrote the report analyzing the Sarajevo Haggadah and describing the binding, that Hanna reads in the archives in “Hanna: Vienna, Spring 1996”?
(a) M. Martell.
(b) J. Branko.
(c) Werner Heinrich.
(d) Dr. Josip Boscovic.
4. Who takes Lola to the National Museum in “An Insect’s Wing: Sarajevo, 1940"?
5. What does Lola pretend to be in order to stay with Serif and Stela?
(a) A maid.
(b) Stela's cousin.
(c) Serif's niece.
(d) Stela's sister.
6. What does the saltwater used at the seder table represent?
(a) The fish of the sea.
(b) The parting of the Red Sea.
(c) The tears of the slaves in Egypt.
(d) The worship of the Golden calf.
7. What makes the Sarajevo Haggadah so rare and unusual?
(a) The statements made in the book go against Jewish law.
(b) Jews believed that illustrations violated God's Commandments at this time.
(c) The book was created and bound in a way that broke kosher Jewish laws.
(d) The style of the artistry in the book did not appear for over a hundred years later than it is dated.
8. How does Hanna describe the handwriting in the report by the ancient Near-Eastern manuscripts specialist that Hanna reads at the archives in “Hanna: Vienna, Spring 1996”?
(a) Neat and printed.
(b) In fancy, elaborate cursive.
(c) Almost illegible.
(d) It is typed.
9. Where does Hanna go to first see the Sarajevo Haggadah in “Hanna: Sarajevo, Spring 1996”?
(a) A royal court.
(b) A library.
(c) A bank vault.
(d) A museum.
10. What does Hanna order for dinner when she goes out with Karaman in “Hanna: Sarajevo, Spring 1996”?
(a) Beef curry.
(b) Steak tartare.
(c) Chicken kebabs.
11. Where did Hanna earn her PhD?
(a) Rutgers University.
(b) Brown University.
(c) Princeton University.
(d) Harvard University.
12. How old is Dr. Heinrich when Hanna visits him in 1996?
13. Where did Hanna spend six months learning how to properly mix wheat paste?
14. How are the book clasps to the Sarajevo Haggadah described in the report that Hanna reads in the archives in “Hanna: Vienna, Spring 1996”?
(a) "Rusted and worn."
(b) "Water-damaged and rusted."
(c) "Extraordinarily beautiful."
(d) "Cheap and faulty."
15. Who is the official UN observer who comes to view the Sarajevo Haggadah in Part I of “Hanna: Sarajevo, Spring 1996”?
(a) Ozren Karaman.
(b) Jim Bardayal.
(c) Yad Vashem.
(d) Hamish Sajjan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the abbreviation K.u.K. stand for in “Hanna: Vienna, Spring 1996”?
2. Serif tells Stela that he has arranged for Lola to go with a friend of his where due to the danger of sheltering a Jew in “An Insect’s Wing: Sarajevo, 1940"?
3. Whose mathematical text is taken out and presented to General Faber at the museum in “An Insect’s Wing: Sarajevo, 1940"?
4. From what had Lola sewn her Partisan fatiques?
5. How does the narrative style of the novel change in “An Insect’s Wing: Sarajevo, 1940"?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)