|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sherman Huff?
2. How does Wolf travel to his final destination after he leaves town following Chee's shooting?
3. About how long is Chee in his hiding place before realizing the killer has left?
4. According to the roustabout's sister, who did the people believe was responsible for what happened to several of the roustabouts after the explosion?
5. After shooting Chee, what does the killer do before driving away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the purpose of an Enemy Way.
2. When Chee has trouble sleeping and sneaks out of his hospital room, why does he visit the area he goes to?
3. Why does the Albuquerque police officer tell Chee to be careful as the cop is leaving Chee's hospital room?
4. After discovering the dead body on the way to where the missing box is supposed to be, how does Chee realize that the killer is still nearby?
5. After Chee realizes that the killer is still nearby, where does Chee send Mary?
6. As Wolf slips out of the hospital, what does Wolf suddenly realize?
7. What does Chee learn from the Albuquerque police officer about the killer when the cop comes to Chee's hospital room?
8. After Chee and Mary discover the dead body, why does Chee yell at Mary to run?
9. After shooting Chee at the malpais, why does Wolf decide to go after both Chee and Mary?
10. When Chee learns that the final roustabout has died, why does Chee want to see the body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the people interested in the outcome of Chee's investigation, especially once the oil well explosion figures prominently in his questions. Compare and contrast these people in terms of their motivations, ability to plan, ability to manipulate, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Did any one person end up influencing Chee more than the others? If so, who and why? Support your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Chee's life.
a. Identify at least three attempts on Chee's life. Describe the situation and how Chee escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the situations in which the attempts are made on Chee's life. What is the motivation in each of these situations to kill Chee?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Jim Chee is struggling with the decision whether to remain in the Navajo world or to join the white man's world and accept a position with the FBI. Compare and contrast these two worlds. How are these two worlds regarded by Chee? What do these worlds provide for Chee? How is the story affected by Chee's relationship with each world?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)