|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Wolf kill the person who approaches him as he reaches Chee's floor?
2. When Chee and Mary cannot locate the final roustabout, whom do they find instead?
3. According to the person Chee and Mary visit, what is the case rate for leukemic diseases?
4. What do Navajos typically carry in their leather pouches?
5. When Chee wakes up in his hospital room, what program is showing, albeit without the sound, on the television in Chee's hospital room?
Short Essay Questions
1. After reviewing the articles regarding the explosion at the library, what does Chee decide his next step should be?
2. As Wolf kills the person who approaches him as he reaches Chee's floor, why does the murder not cause any alarm on the floor?
3. Describe the purpose of an Enemy Way.
4. After Chee realizes that the killer is still nearby, where does Chee send Mary?
5. What is so unusual about the men who were part of the roustabout crew, as well as the men in the Charley family?
6. What does Chee find when he exits his hiding space after the killer has left?
7. What does Chee learn from the Albuquerque police officer about the killer when the cop comes to Chee's hospital room?
8. When Chee and Mary find an article discussing the arrest of Dillon Charley in the days after the explosion, what is NOT mentioned?
9. As Wolf slips out of the hospital, what does Wolf suddenly realize?
10. As Chee and Mary leave the roundabout's sister, why does Mary ask Chee to explain what the sister had said?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast B.J. Vines and Gordo Sena.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of Mary Landon changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Mary's character when she first meets Jim Chee at the auction, when she accompanies Chee to the malpais, when she appears in Chee's hospital room offering to help him, and when the story ends. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In many ways, the novel is a series of contrasts designed to heighten the reader's awareness and draw the reader deeper into the story and the intricacies of each of the story's characters. Identify at least three contrasts that are used in the novel. Describe these contrasts and determine how they affect the story's plot as well as the reader's emotional involvement in the characters' lives. If these identified contrasts were not included in the story, what effect would their absence have on the storyline, the characters' development, and the readers' involvement?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)