|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After learning Emerson Charley's cause of death, whom do Chee and Mary visit next?
2. Who visits Chee after the Albuquerque police officer leaves Chee's hospital room?
3. According to the newspaper articles Chee and Mary read at the library, how many roustabouts were originally thought to have been killed in the oil well explosion?
4. What is the name of the person Chee and Mary visit with in Chapter 25?
5. According to the newspaper articles Chee and Mary read at the library, how many oil company employees were originally thought to have been killed in the oil well explosion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is so unusual about the men who were part of the roustabout crew, as well as the men in the Charley family?
2. After discovering the dead body on the way to where the missing box is supposed to be, how does Chee realize that the killer is still nearby?
3. After yelling at Mary to run, why does Chee turn and run in the opposite direction?
4. When Chee learns that the final roustabout has died, why does Chee want to see the body?
5. Why does the Albuquerque police officer tell Chee to be careful as the cop is leaving Chee's hospital room?
6. What happens when Chee tells the person he is visiting that several other men associated with the Charley family all died of cancer?
7. According to what Chee tells Mary, how does one become a Navajo witch?
8. After reviewing the articles regarding the explosion at the library, what does Chee decide his next step should be?
9. When Chee and Mary find an article discussing the arrest of Dillon Charley in the days after the explosion, what is NOT mentioned?
10. When the sheriff questions Chee in Chee's hospital room, what does the sheriff ask Chee to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many ways, the novel is a series of contrasts designed to heighten the reader's awareness and draw the reader deeper into the story and the intricacies of each of the story's characters. Identify at least three contrasts that are used in the novel. Describe these contrasts and determine how they affect the story's plot as well as the reader's emotional involvement in the characters' lives. If these identified contrasts were not included in the story, what effect would their absence have on the storyline, the characters' development, and the readers' involvement?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast B.J. Vines and Gordo Sena.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Chee's life.
a. Identify at least three attempts on Chee's life. Describe the situation and how Chee escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the situations in which the attempts are made on Chee's life. What is the motivation in each of these situations to kill Chee?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)