|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mary and Chee plan to do after retrieving the missing box from the malpais?
2. What do Chee and Mary discuss on the way to visit the sister of one of the roustabouts?
3. When Chee has trouble sleeping, how does Chee get into the area he's trying to access?
4. According to the FBI agent who visits Chee at the hospital, for how long has the FBI been looking into the killer?
5. When Wolf is leaving town after shooting Chee, where does he dump his car?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Chee realizes that the killer is still nearby, where does Chee send Mary?
2. According to what Chee tells Mary, how does one become a Navajo witch?
3. When Chee has trouble sleeping and sneaks out of his hospital room, why does he visit the area he goes to?
4. When Chee and Mary find an article discussing the arrest of Dillon Charley in the days after the explosion, what is NOT mentioned?
5. What does Chee learn from the Albuquerque police officer about the killer when the cop comes to Chee's hospital room?
6. After reviewing the articles regarding the explosion at the library, what does Chee decide his next step should be?
7. Why does Chee not simply leave his room when he sees that Wolf is in the hospital?
8. When the sheriff questions Chee in Chee's hospital room, what does the sheriff ask Chee to do?
9. After yelling at Mary to run, why does Chee turn and run in the opposite direction?
10. As Chee and Mary leave the roundabout's sister, why does Mary ask Chee to explain what the sister had said?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes is this novel involves honor.
a. Identify three characters that are honorable in their actions. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted honorably.
b. Why do these characters try to be honorable?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not taken the honorable route? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Jim Chee is struggling with the decision whether to remain in the Navajo world or to join the white man's world and accept a position with the FBI. Compare and contrast these two worlds. How are these two worlds regarded by Chee? What do these worlds provide for Chee? How is the story affected by Chee's relationship with each world?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the character of Jim Chee changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Chee's character when he is first introduced in the story, when Chee is summoned by B.J. Vines, when Chee figures out why the roustabouts are dying, and when Chee sits with the killer as the killer is dying. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)