|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the cop from the Albuquerque Police Department who visits Chee in his hospital room?
2. Who sees the Wolf talking to the person Wolf is about to kill?
3. According to the FBI agent who visits Chee at the hospital, for how long has the FBI been looking into the killer?
4. What is the name of the person Chee and Mary visit with in Chapter 25?
5. According to the person Chee and Mary visit, what is the case rate for leukemic diseases?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Chee realizes that the killer is still nearby, where does Chee send Mary?
2. As Wolf kills the person who approaches him as he reaches Chee's floor, why does the murder not cause any alarm on the floor?
3. When Chee and Mary find an article discussing the arrest of Dillon Charley in the days after the explosion, what is NOT mentioned?
4. According to what Chee tells Mary, how does one become a Navajo witch?
5. What is so unusual about the men who were part of the roustabout crew, as well as the men in the Charley family?
6. As Wolf slips out of the hospital, what does Wolf suddenly realize?
7. When the sheriff questions Chee in Chee's hospital room, what does the sheriff ask Chee to do?
8. After yelling at Mary to run, why does Chee turn and run in the opposite direction?
9. What does Chee learn from the Albuquerque police officer about the killer when the cop comes to Chee's hospital room?
10. Why does Chee not simply leave his room when he sees that Wolf is in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jim Chee and Henry Becenti can be seen as kindred spirits. Although they are not quite the same, they share a number of similarities. Identify and describe these similarities. Then, based on your discussion of their similarities, identify the ways in which these two men's similarities facilitate the plot's development and moves the story forward.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of Mary Landon changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Mary's character when she first meets Jim Chee at the auction, when she accompanies Chee to the malpais, when she appears in Chee's hospital room offering to help him, and when the story ends. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main desires of B.J. Vines (a.k.a. Carl Lebeck) - the reasons behind his grand scheme. For each demand, tell Vines' reasoning behind the desire and what Vines hoped to ultimately accomplish or gain through his actions.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)