|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the newspaper articles Chee and Mary read at the library, how many roustabouts were originally thought to have been killed in the oil well explosion?
2. Literally, what does "malpais" mean?
3. According to the nurse Chee talks to, what color bags are the clothing and effects of the deceased placed into?
4. When Wolf is approached by someone as Wolf reaches Chee's floor, by what name does Wolf introduce himself?
5. When Chee has trouble sleeping, how does Chee get into the area he's trying to access?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Chee has trouble sleeping and sneaks out of his hospital room, what does he discover when he reaches the area he intended to visit?
2. As Wolf kills the person who approaches him as he reaches Chee's floor, why does the murder not cause any alarm on the floor?
3. Why does the Albuquerque police officer tell Chee to be careful as the cop is leaving Chee's hospital room?
4. What happens when Chee tells the person he is visiting that several other men associated with the Charley family all died of cancer?
5. After reviewing the articles regarding the explosion at the library, what does Chee decide his next step should be?
6. As Wolf slips out of the hospital, what does Wolf suddenly realize?
7. According to the discussion Mary and Chee have after leaving the roustabout's sister, why does Chee initially believe that Emerson Charley's body disappeared?
8. After yelling at Mary to run, why does Chee turn and run in the opposite direction?
9. After Chee and Mary discover the dead body, why does Chee yell at Mary to run?
10. Describe the purpose of an Enemy Way.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many ways, the novel is a series of contrasts designed to heighten the reader's awareness and draw the reader deeper into the story and the intricacies of each of the story's characters. Identify at least three contrasts that are used in the novel. Describe these contrasts and determine how they affect the story's plot as well as the reader's emotional involvement in the characters' lives. If these identified contrasts were not included in the story, what effect would their absence have on the storyline, the characters' development, and the readers' involvement?
Essay Topic 2
The book is entitled People of Darkness. Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character, and the determination of Jim Chee to set things right?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Jim Chee, Henry Becenti, Gordo Sena, and B.J. Vines.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)