|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the newspaper articles Chee and Mary read at the library, how many employees from the explosives company were originally thought to have been killed in the oil well explosion?
2. What is the name of the final roustabout's relative?
3. According to the roustabout's sister-in-law, from what did Tsossie die?
4. Who sees the Wolf talking to the person Wolf is about to kill?
5. What is Dine'estse-tle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Chee not simply leave his room when he sees that Wolf is in the hospital?
2. After shooting Chee at the malpais, why does Wolf decide to go after both Chee and Mary?
3. What does Chee learn from the Albuquerque police officer about the killer when the cop comes to Chee's hospital room?
4. After yelling at Mary to run, why does Chee turn and run in the opposite direction?
5. When Chee learns that the final roustabout has died, why does Chee want to see the body?
6. According to what Chee tells Mary, how does one become a Navajo witch?
7. After reviewing the articles regarding the explosion at the library, what does Chee decide his next step should be?
8. When Chee has trouble sleeping and sneaks out of his hospital room, what does he discover when he reaches the area he intended to visit?
9. What does Chee find when he exits his hiding space after the killer has left?
10. After Chee realizes that the killer is still nearby, where does Chee send Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hillerman uses this story to examine the role that truth plays in our daily lives. Examine the author's beliefs through his storytelling. Why would the author choose this story to overlay his demonstration of the consequences realized when the truth is distorted or hidden? What did you learn from the author's discussion on truth? What other avenues, if any, could the author have used to express his beliefs? Would those avenues have been as effective as the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
B.J. Vines seems to be a man who is supremely confident in his ability to come out on top. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Vines helped by his utter confidence? How is Vines hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 3
The book is entitled People of Darkness. Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character, and the determination of Jim Chee to set things right?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)