|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chee is released from the hospital, where is the first place he and Mary plan to go?
2. After Chee yells at Mary to run, what does Mary manage to get from the truck?
3. When Chee and Mary cannot locate the final roustabout, where do they find his relative?
4. After Chee has surgery to remove the bullet, who is in Chee's hospital room when he wakes up?
5. Who approaches as Wolf reaches Chee's floor?
Short Essay Questions
1. After reviewing the articles regarding the explosion at the library, what does Chee decide his next step should be?
2. When Chee learns that the final roustabout has died, why does Chee want to see the body?
3. After yelling at Mary to run, why does Chee turn and run in the opposite direction?
4. As Wolf kills the person who approaches him as he reaches Chee's floor, why does the murder not cause any alarm on the floor?
5. According to the discussion Mary and Chee have after leaving the roustabout's sister, why does Chee initially believe that Emerson Charley's body disappeared?
6. What is so unusual about the men who were part of the roustabout crew, as well as the men in the Charley family?
7. When Chee has trouble sleeping and sneaks out of his hospital room, why does he visit the area he goes to?
8. After discovering the dead body on the way to where the missing box is supposed to be, how does Chee realize that the killer is still nearby?
9. What is the goal of the Navajo Way?
10. After Chee and Mary discover the dead body, why does Chee yell at Mary to run?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how the character of Jim Chee changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Chee's character when he is first introduced in the story, when Chee is summoned by B.J. Vines, when Chee figures out why the roustabouts are dying, and when Chee sits with the killer as the killer is dying. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
B.J. Vines seems to be a man who is supremely confident in his ability to come out on top. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Vines helped by his utter confidence? How is Vines hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Jim Chee is struggling with the decision whether to remain in the Navajo world or to join the white man's world and accept a position with the FBI. Compare and contrast these two worlds. How are these two worlds regarded by Chee? What do these worlds provide for Chee? How is the story affected by Chee's relationship with each world?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)