|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 25, whom do Chee and Mary visit?
2. As Wolf drives away from the malpais, how much over the speed limit does Wolf drive?
3. How does Wolf travel to his final destination after he leaves town following Chee's shooting?
4. According to the woman Chee finds, where is the final roustabout's body located?
5. What does Chee find when he examines Emerson Charley's clothing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is so unusual about the men who were part of the roustabout crew, as well as the men in the Charley family?
2. After yelling at Mary to run, why does Chee turn and run in the opposite direction?
3. When Chee has trouble sleeping and sneaks out of his hospital room, what does he discover when he reaches the area he intended to visit?
4. As Wolf kills the person who approaches him as he reaches Chee's floor, why does the murder not cause any alarm on the floor?
5. What does Chee learn from the Albuquerque police officer about the killer when the cop comes to Chee's hospital room?
6. Describe the purpose of an Enemy Way.
7. Why does the Albuquerque police officer tell Chee to be careful as the cop is leaving Chee's hospital room?
8. When the sheriff questions Chee in Chee's hospital room, what does the sheriff ask Chee to do?
9. What does Chee find when he exits his hiding space after the killer has left?
10. What is the goal of the Navajo Way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hillerman uses this story to examine the role that truth plays in our daily lives. Examine the author's beliefs through his storytelling. Why would the author choose this story to overlay his demonstration of the consequences realized when the truth is distorted or hidden? What did you learn from the author's discussion on truth? What other avenues, if any, could the author have used to express his beliefs? Would those avenues have been as effective as the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Chee's life.
a. Identify at least three attempts on Chee's life. Describe the situation and how Chee escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the situations in which the attempts are made on Chee's life. What is the motivation in each of these situations to kill Chee?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Jim Chee, Henry Becenti, Gordo Sena, and B.J. Vines.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)