|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sees the Wolf talking to the person Wolf is about to kill?
2. After learning Emerson Charley's cause of death, whom do Chee and Mary visit next?
3. What kind of car is the killer driving?
4. What do Navajos typically carry in their leather pouches?
5. According to what Chee has heard, who gave each of the roustabouts the same thing Chee finds in Emerson's clothing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Chee not simply leave his room when he sees that Wolf is in the hospital?
2. When the sheriff questions Chee in Chee's hospital room, what does the sheriff ask Chee to do?
3. When Chee has trouble sleeping and sneaks out of his hospital room, what does he discover when he reaches the area he intended to visit?
4. What does Chee find when he exits his hiding space after the killer has left?
5. What is the goal of the Navajo Way?
6. After discovering the dead body on the way to where the missing box is supposed to be, how does Chee realize that the killer is still nearby?
7. After Chee and Mary discover the dead body, why does Chee yell at Mary to run?
8. As Chee and Mary leave the roundabout's sister, why does Mary ask Chee to explain what the sister had said?
9. After reviewing the articles regarding the explosion at the library, what does Chee decide his next step should be?
10. According to the discussion Mary and Chee have after leaving the roustabout's sister, why does Chee initially believe that Emerson Charley's body disappeared?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Jim Chee is struggling with the decision whether to remain in the Navajo world or to join the white man's world and accept a position with the FBI. Compare and contrast these two worlds. How are these two worlds regarded by Chee? What do these worlds provide for Chee? How is the story affected by Chee's relationship with each world?
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes is this novel involves honor.
a. Identify three characters that are honorable in their actions. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted honorably.
b. Why do these characters try to be honorable?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not taken the honorable route? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There is no doubt that Gordo Sena is greatly affected by the events the death of his brother. Discuss how his brother's death and the events thereafter affect not only Sena's worldview but also his determination to find exact vengeance on his brother's killer. How do Gordo Sena's experiences affect his mental state, his ability to serve as sheriff his community, and his willingness to help Chee?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)