|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the FBI agent who visits Chee at the hospital, for how long has the FBI been looking into the killer?
2. Who is Sherman Huff?
3. What is listed as the cause of Emerson Charley's death?
4. What do Navajos typically carry in their leather pouches?
5. What does Wolf need to pick up at the location to where he is ultimately headed?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Chee has trouble sleeping and sneaks out of his hospital room, why does he visit the area he goes to?
2. After discovering the dead body on the way to where the missing box is supposed to be, how does Chee realize that the killer is still nearby?
3. According to what Chee tells Mary, how does one become a Navajo witch?
4. As Chee and Mary leave the roundabout's sister, why does Mary ask Chee to explain what the sister had said?
5. What happens when Chee tells the person he is visiting that several other men associated with the Charley family all died of cancer?
6. Why does the Albuquerque police officer tell Chee to be careful as the cop is leaving Chee's hospital room?
7. After Chee and Mary discover the dead body, why does Chee yell at Mary to run?
8. As Wolf slips out of the hospital, what does Wolf suddenly realize?
9. What is the goal of the Navajo Way?
10. When the sheriff questions Chee in Chee's hospital room, what does the sheriff ask Chee to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes is this novel involves honor.
a. Identify three characters that are honorable in their actions. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted honorably.
b. Why do these characters try to be honorable?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not taken the honorable route? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main desires of B.J. Vines (a.k.a. Carl Lebeck) - the reasons behind his grand scheme. For each demand, tell Vines' reasoning behind the desire and what Vines hoped to ultimately accomplish or gain through his actions.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the character of Mary Landon changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Mary's character when she first meets Jim Chee at the auction, when she accompanies Chee to the malpais, when she appears in Chee's hospital room offering to help him, and when the story ends. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)