|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chee asks Mary to leave town, she refuses. What does Mary insist on doing instead?
2. What kind of car is the killer driving?
3. What is listed as the cause of Emerson Charley's death?
4. What hospital room is Jim Chee in?
5. According to the person Chee and Mary visit, what is the case rate for leukemic diseases?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to what Chee tells Mary, how does one become a Navajo witch?
2. According to the discussion Mary and Chee have after leaving the roustabout's sister, why does Chee initially believe that Emerson Charley's body disappeared?
3. When the sheriff questions Chee in Chee's hospital room, what does the sheriff ask Chee to do?
4. What happens when Chee tells the person he is visiting that several other men associated with the Charley family all died of cancer?
5. When Chee learns that the final roustabout has died, why does Chee want to see the body?
6. When Chee and Mary find an article discussing the arrest of Dillon Charley in the days after the explosion, what is NOT mentioned?
7. Why does Chee not simply leave his room when he sees that Wolf is in the hospital?
8. What is the goal of the Navajo Way?
9. After Chee realizes that the killer is still nearby, where does Chee send Mary?
10. Why does the Albuquerque police officer tell Chee to be careful as the cop is leaving Chee's hospital room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast B.J. Vines and Gordo Sena.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
There is no doubt that Gordo Sena is greatly affected by the events the death of his brother. Discuss how his brother's death and the events thereafter affect not only Sena's worldview but also his determination to find exact vengeance on his brother's killer. How do Gordo Sena's experiences affect his mental state, his ability to serve as sheriff his community, and his willingness to help Chee?
Essay Topic 3
B.J. Vines wears different masks in the story. Both a respected community member and an incredible liar, Vines is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides/personas of B.J. Vines. How would the entire plot have been affected if Vines had not been successful at deceiving those around him? Why is it necessary for Vines to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)