|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the roustabout's sister, what happened to several of the men after the explosion?
2. As Wolf begins driving around Grant, what does he have with him?
3. After learning Emerson Charley's cause of death, whom do Chee and Mary visit next?
4. According to the newspaper articles Chee and Mary read at the library, how many roustabouts were originally thought to have been killed in the oil well explosion?
5. When Wolf arrives at the hospital, where does he first head after entering the building?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Chee and Mary find an article discussing the arrest of Dillon Charley in the days after the explosion, what is NOT mentioned?
2. According to what Chee tells Mary, how does one become a Navajo witch?
3. As Wolf slips out of the hospital, what does Wolf suddenly realize?
4. What does Chee learn from the Albuquerque police officer about the killer when the cop comes to Chee's hospital room?
5. When the sheriff questions Chee in Chee's hospital room, what does the sheriff ask Chee to do?
6. What happens when Chee tells the person he is visiting that several other men associated with the Charley family all died of cancer?
7. As Wolf kills the person who approaches him as he reaches Chee's floor, why does the murder not cause any alarm on the floor?
8. After Chee realizes that the killer is still nearby, where does Chee send Mary?
9. After reviewing the articles regarding the explosion at the library, what does Chee decide his next step should be?
10. After shooting Chee at the malpais, why does Wolf decide to go after both Chee and Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hillerman uses this story to examine the role that truth plays in our daily lives. Examine the author's beliefs through his storytelling. Why would the author choose this story to overlay his demonstration of the consequences realized when the truth is distorted or hidden? What did you learn from the author's discussion on truth? What other avenues, if any, could the author have used to express his beliefs? Would those avenues have been as effective as the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are several characters introduced in the story who do not survive the end of the story. Identify at least three people killed as the novel progresses. Compare and contrast each of these deaths, being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, who was responsible for the character's death, and what effect on the overall plot the character's death had. What could have - or should have - been learned from each of these deaths by the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes is this novel involves honor.
a. Identify three characters that are honorable in their actions. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted honorably.
b. Why do these characters try to be honorable?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not taken the honorable route? Explain your answer.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)