|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the FBI agent who visits Chee at the hospital, for how long has the FBI been looking into the killer?
2. According to the woman Chee finds, where is the final roustabout's body located?
3. What kind of car is the killer driving?
4. When Chee and Mary return to Huff's office, who do they learn has been trying to reach Chee?
5. How does Colton Wolf confirm that Jim Chee has checked out of the hospital?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how the character of Mary Landon changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Mary's character when she first meets Jim Chee at the auction, when she accompanies Chee to the malpais, when she appears in Chee's hospital room offering to help him, and when the story ends. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
B.J. Vines wears different masks in the story. Both a respected community member and an incredible liar, Vines is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides/personas of B.J. Vines. How would the entire plot have been affected if Vines had not been successful at deceiving those around him? Why is it necessary for Vines to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
In many ways, the novel is a series of contrasts designed to heighten the reader's awareness and draw the reader deeper into the story and the intricacies of each of the story's characters. Identify at least three contrasts that are used in the novel. Describe these contrasts and determine how they affect the story's plot as well as the reader's emotional involvement in the characters' lives. If these identified contrasts were not included in the story, what effect would their absence have on the storyline, the characters' development, and the readers' involvement?
This section contains 1,474 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)