|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the roustabout's sister, who did the people believe was responsible for what happened to several of the roustabouts after the explosion?
2. Literally, what does "malpais" mean?
3. What is the name of the person Chee and Mary visit with in Chapter 25?
4. What does Chee learn when he returns the call after leaving Huff's office?
5. After he shoots Chee, where is Wolf ultimately headed?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Chee has trouble sleeping and sneaks out of his hospital room, why does he visit the area he goes to?
2. As Wolf kills the person who approaches him as he reaches Chee's floor, why does the murder not cause any alarm on the floor?
3. What happens when Chee tells the person he is visiting that several other men associated with the Charley family all died of cancer?
4. After reviewing the articles regarding the explosion at the library, what does Chee decide his next step should be?
5. As Wolf slips out of the hospital, what does Wolf suddenly realize?
6. After yelling at Mary to run, why does Chee turn and run in the opposite direction?
7. What does Chee learn from the Albuquerque police officer about the killer when the cop comes to Chee's hospital room?
8. When Chee learns that the final roustabout has died, why does Chee want to see the body?
9. Describe the purpose of an Enemy Way.
10. Why does the Albuquerque police officer tell Chee to be careful as the cop is leaving Chee's hospital room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Chee's life.
a. Identify at least three attempts on Chee's life. Describe the situation and how Chee escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the situations in which the attempts are made on Chee's life. What is the motivation in each of these situations to kill Chee?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the character of Jim Chee changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Chee's character when he is first introduced in the story, when Chee is summoned by B.J. Vines, when Chee figures out why the roustabouts are dying, and when Chee sits with the killer as the killer is dying. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)