|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the conversation that takes place in Chee's hospital room, who believes that Dillon Charley is responsible for the oil well explosion?
2. According to the roustabout's sister-in-law, from what did Tsossie die?
3. When Chee has trouble sleeping, where does Chee go when he sneaks out of his hospital room?
4. How does Colton Wolf confirm that Jim Chee has checked out of the hospital?
5. As Wolf begins driving around Grant, what does he have with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Chee has trouble sleeping and sneaks out of his hospital room, why does he visit the area he goes to?
2. Describe the purpose of an Enemy Way.
3. When Chee and Mary find an article discussing the arrest of Dillon Charley in the days after the explosion, what is NOT mentioned?
4. When the sheriff questions Chee in Chee's hospital room, what does the sheriff ask Chee to do?
5. As Wolf kills the person who approaches him as he reaches Chee's floor, why does the murder not cause any alarm on the floor?
6. Why does the Albuquerque police officer tell Chee to be careful as the cop is leaving Chee's hospital room?
7. What does Chee learn from the Albuquerque police officer about the killer when the cop comes to Chee's hospital room?
8. As Wolf slips out of the hospital, what does Wolf suddenly realize?
9. What does Chee find when he exits his hiding space after the killer has left?
10. What happens when Chee tells the person he is visiting that several other men associated with the Charley family all died of cancer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how the character of Mary Landon changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Mary's character when she first meets Jim Chee at the auction, when she accompanies Chee to the malpais, when she appears in Chee's hospital room offering to help him, and when the story ends. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There are several characters introduced in the story who do not survive the end of the story. Identify at least three people killed as the novel progresses. Compare and contrast each of these deaths, being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, who was responsible for the character's death, and what effect on the overall plot the character's death had. What could have - or should have - been learned from each of these deaths by the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main desires of B.J. Vines (a.k.a. Carl Lebeck) - the reasons behind his grand scheme. For each demand, tell Vines' reasoning behind the desire and what Vines hoped to ultimately accomplish or gain through his actions.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)