|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man who illegally parked his truck leave in the truck?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 8 as Colton Wolf waits, from whom does Wolf receive a letter?
3. Who placed the peyote chief under arrest after the oil well explosion?
4. What is Jim Chee studying to become?
5. When the reader is first introduced to Jim Chee, what day is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to what Chee learns from his predecessor, why did a group of roustabouts not go to work on the day the explosion occurred?
2. Why does the Vines' house puzzle Jim Chee?
3. Describe the second person who illegally parks the car in the parking lot while the bacteriologist watches from her window.
4. When Chee finally finds the home of the person he's looking for, Chee is asked to pass on a message. What is the message?
5. As Chee drives into the desert, he is listening to songs his uncle wants him to memorize. Why does his uncle want Chee to memorize these songs?
6. When asked by Chee, why does B.J. Vines claim that Sena dislikes Vines?
7. According to what Charley tells Chee, what is contained in the missing box?
8. As Chapter 8 opens, why is Colton Wolf working on his guns?
9. According to what Chee learns while visiting his predecessor, how did the People of Darkness get their name?
10. When Colton Wolf receives a letter at the beginning of Chapter 8, what is the subject of the letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Jim Chee is struggling with the decision whether to remain in the Navajo world or to join the white man's world and accept a position with the FBI. Compare and contrast these two worlds. How are these two worlds regarded by Chee? What do these worlds provide for Chee? How is the story affected by Chee's relationship with each world?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of Mary Landon changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Mary's character when she first meets Jim Chee at the auction, when she accompanies Chee to the malpais, when she appears in Chee's hospital room offering to help him, and when the story ends. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)