|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Vines, who stole the missing box?
2. What is Jim Chee studying to become?
3. What is the name of Sena's brother killed in the explosion?
4. How long has Colton Wolf been paying the man who sent Wolf the letter?
5. What does Chee learn when he finally finds the person he is looking for?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chee, why do Navajos lack sentimentality about corpses?
2. Why does Wolf's employer send Wolf to the university campus?
3. How does Vines' attempt to remove Chee from the missing box investigation affect Chee?
4. Even though Chee is curious about why Rosemary has requested his presence at her house, Chee does not ask her any questions. Why not?
5. Describe the person who illegally parks the truck in the parking lot while the bacteriologist watches from her window.
6. How did the explosion at the oil well occur?
7. When he reaches the university campus, why is Wolf dressed as though he works for a mortuary?
8. According to what B.J Vines tells Chee, why does Vines believe the box was stolen?
9. When Chee finally finds the home of the person he's looking for, Chee is asked to pass on a message. What is the message?
10. As Chee drives into the desert, he is listening to songs his uncle wants him to memorize. Why does his uncle want Chee to memorize these songs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hillerman uses this story to examine the role that truth plays in our daily lives. Examine the author's beliefs through his storytelling. Why would the author choose this story to overlay his demonstration of the consequences realized when the truth is distorted or hidden? What did you learn from the author's discussion on truth? What other avenues, if any, could the author have used to express his beliefs? Would those avenues have been as effective as the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Chee's life.
a. Identify at least three attempts on Chee's life. Describe the situation and how Chee escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the situations in which the attempts are made on Chee's life. What is the motivation in each of these situations to kill Chee?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main desires of B.J. Vines (a.k.a. Carl Lebeck) - the reasons behind his grand scheme. For each demand, tell Vines' reasoning behind the desire and what Vines hoped to ultimately accomplish or gain through his actions.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)