|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About when did the explosion at the oil well occur?
2. Where was B.J. Vines when he got sick and had to be flown to a hospital?
3. According to Rosemary Vines, what do the Navajos in the area think B.J. is?
4. During her second year at the lab, what did the bacteriologist begin bringing in with her?
5. According to Chee's predecessor, who might have taken the missing box from the Vines home?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chee, why do Navajos lack sentimentality about corpses?
2. According to what Chee learns from his predecessor, why did a group of roustabouts not go to work on the day the explosion occurred?
3. Describe the person who illegally parks the truck in the parking lot while the bacteriologist watches from her window.
4. According to Chee's predecessor, a relationship with the tribal police was destroyed after the oil well explosion. Describe the initial rift that caused the relationship to unravel.
5. How does Vines' attempt to remove Chee from the missing box investigation affect Chee?
6. Why does the Vines' house puzzle Jim Chee?
7. As Chee drives into the desert, he is listening to songs his uncle wants him to memorize. Why does his uncle want Chee to memorize these songs?
8. When Colton Wolf receives a letter at the beginning of Chapter 8, what is the subject of the letter?
9. According to what Chee learns while visiting his predecessor, how did the People of Darkness get their name?
10. When asked by Chee, why does B.J. Vines claim that Sena dislikes Vines?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jim Chee and Henry Becenti can be seen as kindred spirits. Although they are not quite the same, they share a number of similarities. Identify and describe these similarities. Then, based on your discussion of their similarities, identify the ways in which these two men's similarities facilitate the plot's development and moves the story forward.
Essay Topic 2
B.J. Vines seems to be a man who is supremely confident in his ability to come out on top. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Vines helped by his utter confidence? How is Vines hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 3
In many ways, the novel is a series of contrasts designed to heighten the reader's awareness and draw the reader deeper into the story and the intricacies of each of the story's characters. Identify at least three contrasts that are used in the novel. Describe these contrasts and determine how they affect the story's plot as well as the reader's emotional involvement in the characters' lives. If these identified contrasts were not included in the story, what effect would their absence have on the storyline, the characters' development, and the readers' involvement?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)