|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About when did the explosion at the oil well occur?
2. Under what name does Colton Wolf rent the vehicle he gets once he leaves his trailer?
3. How much additional money does Rosemary Vines offer to pay Chee when he returns the missing box?
4. What is Colton Wolf's hobby?
5. To whom does Colton Wolf talk at the hospital to confirm the information he received during the cautious phone call?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to what Chee learns while visiting his predecessor, how did the People of Darkness get their name?
2. How did the explosion at the oil well occur?
3. According to Chee's predecessor, a relationship with the tribal police was destroyed after the oil well explosion. Describe the initial rift that caused the relationship to unravel.
4. Why were the employees of the oil company going to "shoot" the oil well?
5. Why is Tsoodzil important to the Navajos?
6. According to Chee, why do Navajos lack sentimentality about corpses?
7. As Chee drives into the desert, he is listening to songs his uncle wants him to memorize. Why does his uncle want Chee to memorize these songs?
8. As Chapter 8 opens, for what is Colton Wolf waiting?
9. According to what B.J Vines tells Chee, why does Vines believe the box was stolen?
10. According to what Charley tells Chee, what is contained in the missing box?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters introduced in the story who do not survive the end of the story. Identify at least three people killed as the novel progresses. Compare and contrast each of these deaths, being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, who was responsible for the character's death, and what effect on the overall plot the character's death had. What could have - or should have - been learned from each of these deaths by the other characters?
Essay Topic 2
B.J. Vines seems to be a man who is supremely confident in his ability to come out on top. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Vines helped by his utter confidence? How is Vines hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the character of Jim Chee changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Chee's character when he is first introduced in the story, when Chee is summoned by B.J. Vines, when Chee figures out why the roustabouts are dying, and when Chee sits with the killer as the killer is dying. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)