|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chee drives into the desert, for whose home is Chee looking?
2. While Chee isn't sure he believes in visions, what does Chee believe in?
3. Where was B.J. Vines when he got sick and had to be flown to a hospital?
4. According to Chee's predecessor, how did Dillon Charley get involved with B.J. Vines?
5. How long has Colton Wolf been paying the man who sent Wolf the letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the explosion at the oil well occur?
2. Why had the peyote church been outlawed by the Tribal Council?
3. How does Vines' attempt to remove Chee from the missing box investigation affect Chee?
4. After Rosemary questions Chee on how well he knows Navajo "religion," what does Rosemary ask if Chee knows anything about?
5. Even though Chee is curious about why Rosemary has requested his presence at her house, Chee does not ask her any questions. Why not?
6. When Colton Wolf receives a letter at the beginning of Chapter 8, what is the subject of the letter?
7. According to what B.J Vines tells Chee, why does Vines believe the box was stolen?
8. As Chee drives into the desert, he is listening to songs his uncle wants him to memorize. Why does his uncle want Chee to memorize these songs?
9. According to what Charley tells Chee, what is contained in the missing box?
10. As Chapter 8 opens, why is Colton Wolf working on his guns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Jim Chee, Henry Becenti, Gordo Sena, and B.J. Vines.
Essay Topic 2
B.J. Vines wears different masks in the story. Both a respected community member and an incredible liar, Vines is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides/personas of B.J. Vines. How would the entire plot have been affected if Vines had not been successful at deceiving those around him? Why is it necessary for Vines to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast B.J. Vines and Gordo Sena.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice - both positively and negatively?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)