|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vines tell Chee to do with his check if Chee can't accept it?
2. As Rosemary questions Chee about his qualifications, how long has Chee been stationed at Crownpoint?
3. To whom does Colton Wolf talk at the hospital to confirm the information he received during the cautious phone call?
4. What does the word "Dinee" mean?
5. Where was B.J. Vines when he got sick and had to be flown to a hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the reader is first introduced to Jim Chee, what season is just beginning according to the traditional calendar of Dinee?
2. According to Chee's predecessor, a relationship with the tribal police was destroyed after the oil well explosion. Describe the initial rift that caused the relationship to unravel.
3. When Chee finally finds the home of the person he's looking for, Chee is asked to pass on a message. What is the message?
4. Why had the peyote church been outlawed by the Tribal Council?
5. As Chapter 8 opens, for what is Colton Wolf waiting?
6. Even though Chee is curious about why Rosemary has requested his presence at her house, Chee does not ask her any questions. Why not?
7. Describe the person who illegally parks the truck in the parking lot while the bacteriologist watches from her window.
8. When he reaches the university campus, why is Wolf dressed as though he works for a mortuary?
9. How did the explosion at the oil well occur?
10. What is the malpais?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
B.J. Vines wears different masks in the story. Both a respected community member and an incredible liar, Vines is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides/personas of B.J. Vines. How would the entire plot have been affected if Vines had not been successful at deceiving those around him? Why is it necessary for Vines to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
There are several characters introduced in the story who do not survive the end of the story. Identify at least three people killed as the novel progresses. Compare and contrast each of these deaths, being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, who was responsible for the character's death, and what effect on the overall plot the character's death had. What could have - or should have - been learned from each of these deaths by the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main desires of B.J. Vines (a.k.a. Carl Lebeck) - the reasons behind his grand scheme. For each demand, tell Vines' reasoning behind the desire and what Vines hoped to ultimately accomplish or gain through his actions.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)