|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much additional money does Rosemary Vines offer to pay Chee when he returns the missing box?
2. A second man pulls into the lot and parks his car illegally while the bacteriologist watches. What kind of car is the second man driving?
3. What is Colton Wolf's occupation?
4. As Chee talks with Rosemary, why is B.J. Vines in a hospital?
5. After renting the vehicle, where does Wolf first drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the explosion at the oil well occur?
2. When asked by Chee, why does B.J. Vines claim that Sena dislikes Vines?
3. As Chapter 8 opens, for what is Colton Wolf waiting?
4. According to what Vines tells Chee, who does B.J. Vines believe is responsible for the oil well explosion and why?
5. According to what Charley tells Chee, what is contained in the missing box?
6. Describe the second person who illegally parks the car in the parking lot while the bacteriologist watches from her window.
7. Describe the person who illegally parks the truck in the parking lot while the bacteriologist watches from her window.
8. According to Chee, why do Navajos lack sentimentality about corpses?
9. How does Vines' attempt to remove Chee from the missing box investigation affect Chee?
10. Why does Wolf's employer send Wolf to the university campus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Jim Chee and Henry Becenti can be seen as kindred spirits. Although they are not quite the same, they share a number of similarities. Identify and describe these similarities. Then, based on your discussion of their similarities, identify the ways in which these two men's similarities facilitate the plot's development and moves the story forward.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the people interested in the outcome of Chee's investigation, especially once the oil well explosion figures prominently in his questions. Compare and contrast these people in terms of their motivations, ability to plan, ability to manipulate, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Did any one person end up influencing Chee more than the others? If so, who and why? Support your answer with examples from the story.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)