|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Sena's brother killed in the explosion?
2. What does Vines tell Chee to do with his check if Chee can't accept it?
3. What is Colton Wolf's occupation?
4. What is the name of the clan to which Chee belongs?
5. When Wolf makes a cautious phone call, who does Wolf learn has died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had the peyote church been outlawed by the Tribal Council?
2. Why were the employees of the oil company going to "shoot" the oil well?
3. As the reader is first introduced to Jim Chee, what season is just beginning according to the traditional calendar of Dinee?
4. How does Vines' attempt to remove Chee from the missing box investigation affect Chee?
5. Why does Wolf's employer send Wolf to the university campus?
6. As Chapter 8 opens, why is Colton Wolf working on his guns?
7. According to what Chee learns from his predecessor, why did a group of roustabouts not go to work on the day the explosion occurred?
8. Describe the person who illegally parks the truck in the parking lot while the bacteriologist watches from her window.
9. According to Chee, why do Navajos lack sentimentality about corpses?
10. As Chapter 8 opens, for what is Colton Wolf waiting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
B.J. Vines seems to be a man who is supremely confident in his ability to come out on top. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Vines helped by his utter confidence? How is Vines hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the people interested in the outcome of Chee's investigation, especially once the oil well explosion figures prominently in his questions. Compare and contrast these people in terms of their motivations, ability to plan, ability to manipulate, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Did any one person end up influencing Chee more than the others? If so, who and why? Support your answer with examples from the story.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)