|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chapter 8 opens, what is Colton Wolf doing?
2. What does the word "Dinee" mean?
3. According to Mrs. Vines, who stole the missing box?
4. At this point in his investigation, who does Chee believe is responsible for taking the missing box?
5. What is the name of Dillon Charley's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. After leaving the object for the killer to find, why does Chee go to his truck?
2. What is the goal of the Navajo Way?
3. According to what Chee tells Mary, how does one become a Navajo witch?
4. How did the explosion at the oil well occur?
5. According to what B.J Vines tells Chee, why does Vines believe the box was stolen?
6. Describe the person who illegally parks the truck in the parking lot while the bacteriologist watches from her window.
7. As Chee and Mary leave the roundabout's sister, why does Mary ask Chee to explain what the sister had said?
8. Even though Chee is curious about why Rosemary has requested his presence at her house, Chee does not ask her any questions. Why not?
9. When the sheriff questions Chee in Chee's hospital room, what does the sheriff ask Chee to do?
10. What does Chee learn from the Albuquerque police officer about the killer when the cop comes to Chee's hospital room?
Essay Topic 1
The book is entitled People of Darkness. Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character, and the determination of Jim Chee to set things right?
Essay Topic 2
Jim Chee and Henry Becenti can be seen as kindred spirits. Although they are not quite the same, they share a number of similarities. Identify and describe these similarities. Then, based on your discussion of their similarities, identify the ways in which these two men's similarities facilitate the plot's development and moves the story forward.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Chee's life.
a. Identify at least three attempts on Chee's life. Describe the situation and how Chee escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the situations in which the attempts are made on Chee's life. What is the motivation in each of these situations to kill Chee?
This section contains 1,876 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)