|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chee goes to meet B.J. Vines, how does B.J. characterize his wife?
2. According to Chee's predecessor, who might have taken the missing box from the Vines home?
3. What does the man who illegally parked his truck leave in the truck?
4. According to the rumor Chee heard, who had designed the Vines' home?
5. As Chee takes Mary home, whose truck is still parked in the auction's parking lot?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to what Charley tells Chee, what is contained in the missing box?
2. According to what Chee learns from his predecessor, why did a group of roustabouts not go to work on the day the explosion occurred?
3. After Rosemary questions Chee on how well he knows Navajo "religion," what does Rosemary ask if Chee knows anything about?
4. When asked by Chee, why does B.J. Vines claim that Sena dislikes Vines?
5. Why had the peyote church been outlawed by the Tribal Council?
6. As Chapter 8 opens, why is Colton Wolf working on his guns?
7. Even though Chee is curious about why Rosemary has requested his presence at her house, Chee does not ask her any questions. Why not?
8. According to what Vines tells Chee, who does B.J. Vines believe is responsible for the oil well explosion and why?
9. How does Vines' attempt to remove Chee from the missing box investigation affect Chee?
10. Why is Tsoodzil important to the Navajos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jim Chee and Henry Becenti can be seen as kindred spirits. Although they are not quite the same, they share a number of similarities. Identify and describe these similarities. Then, based on your discussion of their similarities, identify the ways in which these two men's similarities facilitate the plot's development and moves the story forward.
Essay Topic 2
The book is entitled People of Darkness. Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character, and the determination of Jim Chee to set things right?
Essay Topic 3
There are several characters introduced in the story who do not survive the end of the story. Identify at least three people killed as the novel progresses. Compare and contrast each of these deaths, being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, who was responsible for the character's death, and what effect on the overall plot the character's death had. What could have - or should have - been learned from each of these deaths by the other characters?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)