|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to what Chee is told by his caller, who does the caller believe is responsible for taking the missing box?
2. As Rosemary questions Chee about his qualifications, how long has Chee been stationed at Crownpoint?
3. As Chee takes Mary home, whose truck is still parked in the auction's parking lot?
4. Where did one of the men presumed dead in the explosion finally turn up?
5. As Chapter 8 opens, where is Colton Wolf?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Chapter 8 opens, for what is Colton Wolf waiting?
2. As Chapter 8 opens, why is Colton Wolf working on his guns?
3. According to Chee's predecessor, a relationship with the tribal police was destroyed after the oil well explosion. Describe the initial rift that caused the relationship to unravel.
4. As Chee drives into the desert, he is listening to songs his uncle wants him to memorize. Why does his uncle want Chee to memorize these songs?
5. According to what B.J Vines tells Chee, why does Vines believe the box was stolen?
6. Why were the employees of the oil company going to "shoot" the oil well?
7. Describe the person who illegally parks the truck in the parking lot while the bacteriologist watches from her window.
8. Even though Chee is curious about why Rosemary has requested his presence at her house, Chee does not ask her any questions. Why not?
9. What is the malpais?
10. According to what Charley tells Chee, what is contained in the missing box?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Chee's life.
a. Identify at least three attempts on Chee's life. Describe the situation and how Chee escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the situations in which the attempts are made on Chee's life. What is the motivation in each of these situations to kill Chee?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Jim Chee is struggling with the decision whether to remain in the Navajo world or to join the white man's world and accept a position with the FBI. Compare and contrast these two worlds. How are these two worlds regarded by Chee? What do these worlds provide for Chee? How is the story affected by Chee's relationship with each world?
Essay Topic 3
The book is entitled People of Darkness. Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character, and the determination of Jim Chee to set things right?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)