|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chapter 8 opens, what is Colton Wolf doing?
2. When Wolf makes a cautious phone call, how does the person answering the phone identify himself?
3. When Chee finds the home of the person he is looking for, the person is not there. To whom does Chee speak?
4. How does the bacteriologist characterize the parking lot she has been watching for several years from her lab's window?
5. What is the name of Sena's brother killed in the explosion?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Chee realizes that the killer is still nearby, where does Chee send Mary?
2. On the way to the roustabout's remote burial site, Chee has trouble believing that one of two suspects could be responsible. Who is the suspect and what is the doubt?
3. Why is Tsoodzil important to the Navajos?
4. When asked by Chee, why does B.J. Vines claim that Sena dislikes Vines?
5. According to what Chee learns while visiting his predecessor, how did the People of Darkness get their name?
6. Even though Chee is curious about why Rosemary has requested his presence at her house, Chee does not ask her any questions. Why not?
7. When Chee finally finds the home of the person he's looking for, Chee is asked to pass on a message. What is the message?
8. As Chapter 8 opens, for what is Colton Wolf waiting?
9. Why were the employees of the oil company going to "shoot" the oil well?
10. Why does the Vines' house puzzle Jim Chee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hillerman uses this story to examine the role that truth plays in our daily lives. Examine the author's beliefs through his storytelling. Why would the author choose this story to overlay his demonstration of the consequences realized when the truth is distorted or hidden? What did you learn from the author's discussion on truth? What other avenues, if any, could the author have used to express his beliefs? Would those avenues have been as effective as the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Jim Chee and Henry Becenti can be seen as kindred spirits. Although they are not quite the same, they share a number of similarities. Identify and describe these similarities. Then, based on your discussion of their similarities, identify the ways in which these two men's similarities facilitate the plot's development and moves the story forward.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the character of Mary Landon changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Mary's character when she first meets Jim Chee at the auction, when she accompanies Chee to the malpais, when she appears in Chee's hospital room offering to help him, and when the story ends. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 1,905 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)