|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chee finds the home of the person he is looking for, the person is not there. To whom does Chee speak?
2. What is Colton Wolf's hobby?
3. Where was B.J. Vines when he got sick and had to be flown to a hospital?
4. To whom does Colton Wolf talk at the hospital to confirm the information he received during the cautious phone call?
5. According to Chee's predecessor, who might have taken the missing box from the Vines home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had the peyote church been outlawed by the Tribal Council?
2. After Rosemary questions Chee on how well he knows Navajo "religion," what does Rosemary ask if Chee knows anything about?
3. Why were the employees of the oil company going to "shoot" the oil well?
4. How does Vines' attempt to remove Chee from the missing box investigation affect Chee?
5. According to what Charley tells Chee, what is contained in the missing box?
6. When Chee finally finds the home of the person he's looking for, Chee is asked to pass on a message. What is the message?
7. According to what Chee learns from his predecessor, why did a group of roustabouts not go to work on the day the explosion occurred?
8. Describe the person who illegally parks the truck in the parking lot while the bacteriologist watches from her window.
9. According to what Vines tells Chee, who does B.J. Vines believe is responsible for the oil well explosion and why?
10. How did the explosion at the oil well occur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Jim Chee, Henry Becenti, Gordo Sena, and B.J. Vines.
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes is this novel involves honor.
a. Identify three characters that are honorable in their actions. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted honorably.
b. Why do these characters try to be honorable?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not taken the honorable route? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Jim Chee is struggling with the decision whether to remain in the Navajo world or to join the white man's world and accept a position with the FBI. Compare and contrast these two worlds. How are these two worlds regarded by Chee? What do these worlds provide for Chee? How is the story affected by Chee's relationship with each world?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)