|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the time of the explosion, who was the peyote chief?
2. How much money does Rosemary Vines offer to pay Chee as a retainer for his services?
3. What does Wolf do when he reaches the area where people normally dump their junk?
4. What is the name of the local sheriff?
5. What is Jim Chee studying to become?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Chee learns that the final roustabout has died, why does Chee want to see the body?
2. What does Chee try to communicate with the killer by leaving the object behind for the killer to find?
3. How does Vines' attempt to remove Chee from the missing box investigation affect Chee?
4. After shooting Chee at the malpais, why does Wolf decide to go after both Chee and Mary?
5. What happens when Chee tells the person he is visiting that several other men associated with the Charley family all died of cancer?
6. Why had the peyote church been outlawed by the Tribal Council?
7. According to what Chee learns from his predecessor, why did a group of roustabouts not go to work on the day the explosion occurred?
8. What does Chee learn from the Albuquerque police officer about the killer when the cop comes to Chee's hospital room?
9. As Chee and Mary drive to the roustabout's remote burial site, why does Chee now believe the box was stolen?
10. According to Chee's predecessor, a relationship with the tribal police was destroyed after the oil well explosion. Describe the initial rift that caused the relationship to unravel.
Essay Topic 1
Identify the people interested in the outcome of Chee's investigation, especially once the oil well explosion figures prominently in his questions. Compare and contrast these people in terms of their motivations, ability to plan, ability to manipulate, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Did any one person end up influencing Chee more than the others? If so, who and why? Support your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Chee's life.
a. Identify at least three attempts on Chee's life. Describe the situation and how Chee escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the situations in which the attempts are made on Chee's life. What is the motivation in each of these situations to kill Chee?
Essay Topic 3
Jim Chee and Henry Becenti can be seen as kindred spirits. Although they are not quite the same, they share a number of similarities. Identify and describe these similarities. Then, based on your discussion of their similarities, identify the ways in which these two men's similarities facilitate the plot's development and moves the story forward.
This section contains 1,936 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)