|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the local sheriff?
2. At the time of the explosion, who was the peyote chief?
3. According to what B.J. tells Chee, when did the trouble between Sena and Vines start?
4. How much is the check that Chee is given for his trouble regarding the box?
5. With the exception of B.J. Vines, who is the only other person to have ever looked inside the missing box?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the employees of the oil company going to "shoot" the oil well?
2. Describe the person who illegally parks the truck in the parking lot while the bacteriologist watches from her window.
3. As Chee drives into the desert, he is listening to songs his uncle wants him to memorize. Why does his uncle want Chee to memorize these songs?
4. When he reaches the university campus, why is Wolf dressed as though he works for a mortuary?
5. What is the malpais?
6. Why does Wolf's employer send Wolf to the university campus?
7. How did the explosion at the oil well occur?
8. Why had the peyote church been outlawed by the Tribal Council?
9. According to what Charley tells Chee, what is contained in the missing box?
10. As the reader is first introduced to Jim Chee, why does Jim Chee not have his winter coat with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jim Chee and Henry Becenti can be seen as kindred spirits. Although they are not quite the same, they share a number of similarities. Identify and describe these similarities. Then, based on your discussion of their similarities, identify the ways in which these two men's similarities facilitate the plot's development and moves the story forward.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of Mary Landon changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Mary's character when she first meets Jim Chee at the auction, when she accompanies Chee to the malpais, when she appears in Chee's hospital room offering to help him, and when the story ends. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main desires of B.J. Vines (a.k.a. Carl Lebeck) - the reasons behind his grand scheme. For each demand, tell Vines' reasoning behind the desire and what Vines hoped to ultimately accomplish or gain through his actions.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)