|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was B.J. Vines when he got sick and had to be flown to a hospital?
2. According to what B.J. tells Chee, when did the trouble between Sena and Vines start?
3. What is the name of the local sheriff?
4. As Chapter 8 opens, in what state is Colton Wolf?
5. To whom does Colton Wolf talk at the hospital to confirm the information he received during the cautious phone call?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to what Charley tells Chee, what is contained in the missing box?
2. How did the explosion at the oil well occur?
3. Why had the peyote church been outlawed by the Tribal Council?
4. When asked by Chee, why does B.J. Vines claim that Sena dislikes Vines?
5. Describe the person who illegally parks the truck in the parking lot while the bacteriologist watches from her window.
6. As Chapter 8 opens, for what is Colton Wolf waiting?
7. After Rosemary questions Chee on how well he knows Navajo "religion," what does Rosemary ask if Chee knows anything about?
8. According to what Chee learns from his predecessor, why did a group of roustabouts not go to work on the day the explosion occurred?
9. As the reader is first introduced to Jim Chee, what season is just beginning according to the traditional calendar of Dinee?
10. According to Chee's predecessor, a relationship with the tribal police was destroyed after the oil well explosion. Describe the initial rift that caused the relationship to unravel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes is this novel involves honor.
a. Identify three characters that are honorable in their actions. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted honorably.
b. Why do these characters try to be honorable?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not taken the honorable route? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There is no doubt that Gordo Sena is greatly affected by the events the death of his brother. Discuss how his brother's death and the events thereafter affect not only Sena's worldview but also his determination to find exact vengeance on his brother's killer. How do Gordo Sena's experiences affect his mental state, his ability to serve as sheriff his community, and his willingness to help Chee?
Essay Topic 3
Jim Chee and Henry Becenti can be seen as kindred spirits. Although they are not quite the same, they share a number of similarities. Identify and describe these similarities. Then, based on your discussion of their similarities, identify the ways in which these two men's similarities facilitate the plot's development and moves the story forward.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)