|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Wolf makes a cautious phone call, who does Wolf learn has died?
2. What name is on the white cotton coat that Wolf takes with him as he leaves his trailer?
3. How long has Colton Wolf been paying the man who sent Wolf the letter?
4. Where does Captain Leaphorn work?
5. What is the name of Sena's brother killed in the explosion?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Chapter 8 opens, for what is Colton Wolf waiting?
2. According to what Chee learns while visiting his predecessor, how did the People of Darkness get their name?
3. Why does Wolf's employer send Wolf to the university campus?
4. Describe the person who illegally parks the truck in the parking lot while the bacteriologist watches from her window.
5. According to Chee, why do Navajos lack sentimentality about corpses?
6. As the reader is first introduced to Jim Chee, why does Jim Chee not have his winter coat with him?
7. According to what Charley tells Chee, what is contained in the missing box?
8. How does Vines' attempt to remove Chee from the missing box investigation affect Chee?
9. According to Chee's predecessor, a relationship with the tribal police was destroyed after the oil well explosion. Describe the initial rift that caused the relationship to unravel.
10. What is the malpais?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many ways, the novel is a series of contrasts designed to heighten the reader's awareness and draw the reader deeper into the story and the intricacies of each of the story's characters. Identify at least three contrasts used in the novel. Describe these contrasts and determine how they affect the story's plot as well as the reader's emotional involvement in the characters' lives. If these identified contrasts were not included in the story, what effect would their absence have on the storyline, the characters' development, and the readers' involvement?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Chee's life.
a. Identify at least three attempts on Chee's life. Describe the situation and how Chee escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the situations in which the attempts are made on Chee's life. What is the motivation in each of these situations to kill Chee?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the people interested in the outcome of Chee's investigation, especially once the oil well explosion figures prominently in his questions. Compare and contrast these people in terms of their motivations, ability to plan, ability to manipulate, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Did any one person end up influencing Chee more than the others? If so, who and why? Support your answer with examples from the story.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)