|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Chee asks Mary to leave town, she refuses. What does Mary insist on doing instead?
(a) Helping Chee with the investigation.
(b) Helping Chee recover from his wounds.
(c) Helping Chee bait the killer.
(d) Helping Chee bury the body found in the malpais.
2. About how long is Chee in his hiding place before realizing the killer has left?
(a) Five minutes.
(b) Ten minutes.
(c) Eight minutes.
(d) Three minutes.
3. In Chapter 25, whom do Chee and Mary visit?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) An accountant.
(c) A private investigator.
(d) A doctor.
4. According to the roustabout's sister, who did the people believe was responsible for what happened to several of the roustabouts after the explosion?
(a) A prankster.
(b) A witch.
(c) Gordo Sena.
(d) Emerson Charley.
5. What hospital room is Jim Chee in?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the newspaper articles Chee and Mary read at the library, how many roustabouts were originally thought to have been killed in the oil well explosion?
2. As Mary and Chee walk to the area where the missing box is supposed to be, what do Mary and Chee find?
3. Who approaches as Wolf reaches Chee's floor?
4. Literally, what does "malpais" mean?
5. What do Chee and Mary discuss on the way to visit the sister of one of the roustabouts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the purpose of an Enemy Way.
2. When the sheriff questions Chee in Chee's hospital room, what does the sheriff ask Chee to do?
3. According to the discussion Mary and Chee have after leaving the roustabout's sister, why does Chee initially believe that Emerson Charley's body disappeared?
4. When Chee and Mary find an article discussing the arrest of Dillon Charley in the days after the explosion, what is NOT mentioned?
5. According to what Chee tells Mary, how does one become a Navajo witch?
6. What does Chee learn from the Albuquerque police officer about the killer when the cop comes to Chee's hospital room?
7. When Chee has trouble sleeping and sneaks out of his hospital room, what does he discover when he reaches the area he intended to visit?
8. After shooting Chee at the malpais, why does Wolf decide to go after both Chee and Mary?
9. Why does Chee not simply leave his room when he sees that Wolf is in the hospital?
10. What does Chee find when he exits his hiding space after the killer has left?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)