|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time elapsed between the explosion at the oil well and when the first deputy arrived on the scene?
(a) Three days.
(b) One day.
(c) Seven days.
(d) Five days.
2. At the time of the explosion, who was the peyote chief?
(a) Tomas Charley.
(b) Dillon Charley.
(c) B.J. Vines.
(d) Emerson Charley.
3. Where was B.J. Vines when he got sick and had to be flown to a hospital?
4. According to Rosemary Vines, what do the Navajos in the area think B.J. is?
(a) A swindler.
(b) A witch.
(c) A thief.
(d) A liar.
5. When Chee goes to his office after visiting his predecessor, who has been trying to contact Chee?
(a) Gordo Sena.
(b) Henry Becenti.
(c) B.J. Vines.
(d) Rosemary Vines.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Captain Leaphorn work?
2. As Chapter 5 begins, Chee goes to visit his predecessor. Whom does Chee visit?
3. What is the name of Sena's brother killed in the explosion?
4. As Chapter 8 opens, in what state is Colton Wolf?
5. What is Colton Wolf's hobby?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the reader is first introduced to Jim Chee, why does Jim Chee not have his winter coat with him?
2. When Chee finally finds the home of the person he's looking for, Chee is asked to pass on a message. What is the message?
3. As the reader is first introduced to Jim Chee, what season is just beginning according to the traditional calendar of Dinee?
4. As Chapter 8 opens, why is Colton Wolf working on his guns?
5. How does Vines' attempt to remove Chee from the missing box investigation affect Chee?
6. After Rosemary questions Chee on how well he knows Navajo "religion," what does Rosemary ask if Chee knows anything about?
7. Why does Wolf's employer send Wolf to the university campus?
8. According to what Chee learns while visiting his predecessor, how did the People of Darkness get their name?
9. According to what Vines tells Chee, who does B.J. Vines believe is responsible for the oil well explosion and why?
10. Why is Tsoodzil important to the Navajos?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)