|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the story opens, how long does Chee have before deciding whether to accept his appointment to the FBI?
(a) Seven weeks.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) One week.
2. How much is the check that Chee is given for his trouble regarding the box?
3. As Chapter 8 opens, where is Colton Wolf?
(a) On a plane.
(b) On a train.
(c) In his trailer.
(d) In his car.
4. When Wolf makes a cautious phone call, who does Wolf learn has died?
(a) His employer.
(b) His son.
(c) His target.
(d) His mother.
5. For what agency does the bacteriologist at the beginning of the novel work?
(a) Centers for Disease Control.
(b) National Institutes of Health.
(c) Cancer Research and Treatment Center.
(d) St. Jude's Research Hospital
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the tombstone, when had the person died?
2. How does B.J Vines characterize the oil well explosion?
3. Where does Captain Leaphorn work?
4. As Chee takes Mary home, whose truck is still parked in the auction's parking lot?
5. As Chee and Mary leave the auction, who is talking to the person Chee needed to track down?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the person who illegally parks the truck in the parking lot while the bacteriologist watches from her window.
2. Why were the employees of the oil company going to "shoot" the oil well?
3. When asked by Chee, why does B.J. Vines claim that Sena dislikes Vines?
4. Why does the Vines' house puzzle Jim Chee?
5. According to what Charley tells Chee, what is contained in the missing box?
6. Even though Chee is curious about why Rosemary has requested his presence at her house, Chee does not ask her any questions. Why not?
7. Why had the peyote church been outlawed by the Tribal Council?
8. According to what Chee learns from his predecessor, why did a group of roustabouts not go to work on the day the explosion occurred?
9. According to Chee's predecessor, a relationship with the tribal police was destroyed after the oil well explosion. Describe the initial rift that caused the relationship to unravel.
10. Why is Tsoodzil important to the Navajos?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)