|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vines tell Chee to do with his check if Chee can't accept it?
(a) Give it back.
(b) Shred it.
(c) Donate it.
(d) Rip it up.
2. What is the time of day when the tow truck arrives to remove the illegally parked truck?
(a) 9:00 a.m.
(c) 6:00 p.m.
(d) 3:00 p.m.
3. As Rosemary questions Chee about his qualifications, how long has Chee been stationed at Crownpoint?
(a) About eighteen months.
(b) About three months.
(c) About one year.
(d) About three years.
4. As Chee talks with Rosemary, why is B.J. Vines in a hospital?
5. According to Chee's predecessor, who might have taken the missing box from the Vines home?
(a) Tomas Charley.
(b) Colton Wolf.
(c) Gordo Sena.
(d) Emerson Charley.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Wolf makes a cautious phone call, who does Wolf learn has died?
2. For what agency does the bacteriologist at the beginning of the novel work?
3. Who placed the peyote chief under arrest after the oil well explosion?
4. How much money does Rosemary Vines offer to pay Chee as a retainer for his services?
5. What is Colton Wolf's hobby?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Chee drives into the desert, he is listening to songs his uncle wants him to memorize. Why does his uncle want Chee to memorize these songs?
2. According to Chee, why do Navajos lack sentimentality about corpses?
3. Why had the peyote church been outlawed by the Tribal Council?
4. Why were the employees of the oil company going to "shoot" the oil well?
5. How did the explosion at the oil well occur?
6. When Chee finally finds the home of the person he's looking for, Chee is asked to pass on a message. What is the message?
7. When Colton Wolf receives a letter at the beginning of Chapter 8, what is the subject of the letter?
8. Describe the person who illegally parks the truck in the parking lot while the bacteriologist watches from her window.
9. Why is Tsoodzil important to the Navajos?
10. According to Chee's predecessor, a relationship with the tribal police was destroyed after the oil well explosion. Describe the initial rift that caused the relationship to unravel.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)