|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Chee asks Mary to leave town, she refuses. What does Mary insist on doing instead?
(a) Helping Chee bury the body found in the malpais.
(b) Helping Chee recover from his wounds.
(c) Helping Chee with the investigation.
(d) Helping Chee bait the killer.
2. According to the newspaper articles Chee and Mary read at the library, how many employees from the explosives company were originally thought to have been killed in the oil well explosion?
3. After shooting Chee, what does the killer do before driving away?
(a) Kidnaps Mary.
(b) Finishes Chee off.
(c) Kills Mary.
(d) Blows up Chee's truck.
4. According to the newspaper articles Chee and Mary read at the library, how many people were originally believed to have died in the explosion?
5. Why does Chee always watch the face of the people he is questioning?
(a) Lying makes people grin.
(b) Lying makes people nervous.
(c) Lying makes people shift their eyes.
(d) Lying makes people sweat.
6. As Wolf drives away from the malpais, how much over the speed limit does Wolf drive?
(a) Two miles per hour.
(b) Eight miles per hour.
(c) Ten miles per hour.
(d) Five miles per hour.
7. What kind of car is the killer driving?
(a) A Plymouth.
(b) A Ford.
(c) A Chevrolet.
(d) A Buick.
8. In Chapter 25, whom do Chee and Mary visit?
(a) A private investigator.
(b) An accountant.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A lawyer.
9. When Wolf is approached by someone as Wolf reaches Chee's floor, by what name does Wolf introduce himself?
(a) Dr. Colby.
(b) Dr. Martin.
(c) Dr. Ray.
(d) Dr. Duncan.
10. According to the FBI agent who visits Chee at the hospital, for how long has the FBI been looking into the killer?
(a) Two years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Eight years.
11. What does Wolf need to pick up at the location to where he is ultimately headed?
(a) His gun.
(b) His truck.
(c) His mother.
(d) His money.
12. Where does Wolf initially go when he leaves town after shooting Chee?
13. Literally, what does "malpais" mean?
(a) Dry country.
(b) Barren land.
(c) Flat land.
(d) Bad country.
14. When Chee and Mary return to Huff's office, who do they learn has been trying to reach Chee?
(a) The Grants office.
(b) The Crownpoint office.
(c) The Checkers office.
(d) Sena's office.
15. What is Mary Landon's occupation?
(a) An auctioneer.
(b) An accountant.
(c) A quilter.
(d) A schoolteacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hospital room is Jim Chee in?
2. What does Chee learn when he returns the call after leaving Huff's office?
3. According to what Chee has heard, who gave each of the roustabouts the same thing Chee finds in Emerson's clothing?
4. According to the conversation that takes place in Chee's hospital room, who believes that Dillon Charley is responsible for the oil well explosion?
5. When Chee wakes up in his hospital room, what program is showing, albeit without the sound, on the television in Chee's hospital room?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)