Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Frankie running from when Penny finds him in the bushes in her back yard?
2. What name does Penny choose for the black and white kitten that Pop-pop gives to her when she returns home from the hospital?
3. What does the funeral director threaten Frankie with due to his misbehavior?
4. Whom of the following asks a nurse whether Penny's father was really a spy?
5. Whom of the following is Frankie working for after Penny is released from the hospital?
We see a little contrast in color in the story as Pop-pop is painting everything in the house with black lacquer because it makes Me-me happy; and in the process, Penny experiences a streak of bad luck with the black paint. Was Me-me's belief that painting everything black would make everything nicer based on superstition? Or was it based on reality? What about Penny's accident with the black paint? Was that merely coincidence based on reality, or was it a streak of bad luck brought about by some element of superstition associated with the black paint? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
The time comes when Penny realizes that the friendship between her mother and Mr. Mulligan is a romantic type. Does that time in Penny's life signal a forced end to her childhood in terms of having to let go of her father? Or does it signal the beginning of Penny's transition into adulthood in terms of accepting a new man in her mother's life, and a new father in hers? Cite examples and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book in support of your position.
In retrospect, how does the magic bean that used to belong to Penny's father, that was given to her by Uncle Dominic come to symbolize the passing of legacy from father to daughter? Did the bean's "magical" qualities illustrate that type of connection in any way? Why or why not? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book in support of your position.
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)