|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following couples are paid a visit by Me-me and Pop-pop on the same day that Frankie invites Penny to go to the public pool?
2. Where does Me-me keep the equipment and supplies that Frankie will need to carry out his offer of help to Nonny ?
3. Who is Frankie running from when Penny finds him in the bushes in her back yard?
4. What is Frankie's gift to Penny on her twelfth birthday?
5. Which of the following activities does Penny find difficult to do while she is in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in Chapter 15 of the book, what are some of the reasons that Penny should not join Frankie in going to the public pool?
2. According to the text in Chapter 20 of the book, do any pleasant things or occurrences take place in Penny's life upon her return from the hospital?
3. Based on the text in Chapter 18, what does Penny learn from Frankie in relation to Uncle Dominic's whereabouts during her stay in the hospital?
4. Based on the text in the thirteenth chapter of the book, do any misunderstandings occur between Penny and her mother on her Penny's birthday?
5. According to the narrative in Chapter 17 of the book, how do Penny's relatives make her feel special while she is in the hospital?
6. According to the text in Chapter 17 of the book, what contributes to Penny's disappointment while she is in the hospital?
7. According to the text in the fourteenth chapter of the book, what does Penny do in order to keep her dying Scarlett O'Hara comfortable during the last hours of her life?
8. Based on the narrative in Chapter 19, how does Penny finally learn the truth about the circumstances that had surrounded her father's death?
9. According to the text in Chapter 13 of the book, what normal events take place in Penny's life on her birthday?
10. Based on the narrative in Chapter 14 of the book, why has Frankie decided to run to Penny's house and hide there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though he initially drove Penny to the hospital following her accident with the washing machine, Uncle Dominic does not visit her during her lengthy hospital stay. In time, Penny learns that he has traveled to Florida and been there during her time of recuperation. Upon his return, a confrontation occurs between Penny's mother and Uncle Dominic. What was the reason for Uncle Dominic's decision to travel and stay in Florida during the time that Penny was in the hospital? Does his decision to spend time in Florida during Penny's hospital stay indicate that he is not concerned about Penny? Did it indicate that he was more concerned about his own reason(s) for going to Florida than comforting Penny during the time that she needed moral support? Or could there have been another underlying reason(s) for his departure to Florida following Penny's accident? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
There is a lot of celebration marking Penny's twelfth birthday at the Falucci home. The Faluccis, as is well established, are members of Penny's late father's family. So much attention and love is directed toward Penny that day, making it clear that her uncles - be they her father's brothers or cousins, are all there to make Penny feel special on her special day. There is no doubt that it is a concerted effort on the uncles' parts - but are they doing it all for Penny's sake, her father's sake, their sake - Or any combination thereof? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
In retrospect, how does the magic bean that used to belong to Penny's father, that was given to her by Uncle Dominic come to symbolize the passing of legacy from father to daughter? Did the bean's "magical" qualities illustrate that type of connection in any way? Why or why not? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book in support of your position.
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)