|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following jobs is Penny assigned to handle at Falucci's Meat Market upon her return to work following her stay at the hospital?
2. What name does Penny choose for the black and white kitten that Pop-pop gives to her when she returns home from the hospital?
3. What is the age of the young girl who is dying of cancer in Penny's ward at the hospital?
4. What is the ailment that appears to be claiming the life of the young girl dying in Penny's ward?
5. What does Uncle Ralphie do in observance of Penny's birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in Chapter 13 of the book, what normal events take place in Penny's life on her birthday?
2. Based on the narrative in Chapter 20 of the book, how does Penny's job at Uncle Ralphie's meat market change when she returns to work following her stay in the hospital?
3. Based on the narrative in Chapter 14 of the book, why has Frankie decided to run to Penny's house and hide there?
4. According to the text in Chapter 20 of the book, do any pleasant things or occurrences take place in Penny's life upon her return from the hospital?
5. According to the narrative in Chapter 16 of the book, how does Penny react in relation to her arm injury?
6. According to the text in Chapter 16 of the book, how is Penny distracted to the point that she injures her arm while putting the laundry through the wringer of the washing machine in Nonny's basement?
7. Based on the text in Chapter 20 of the book, how has Penny's bedroom been changed when she returns home following her stay in the hospital?
8. Based on the text in Chapter 14 of the book, how does Frankie's problem with the church ultimately get resolved?
9. According to the narrative in Chapter 20 of the book, do any new beings enter Penny's life after she returns home from the hospital?
10. Based on the narrative in the twelfth chapter of the book, how does Penny show her support for Pop-pop's belief that he is able to talk to Mickey, the nephew whom he lost in the War, through radio static?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Around Penny's twelfth birthday, Penny's mother tells her that she received her first piece of jewelry - a pearl necklace - on her own twelfth birthday. Is there an element of foreshadowing in that scenario in the book? If so, what other scenario can be paired with the foregoing one that would support foreshadowing to have occurred? Is there a corresponding event or scenario that parallels the one of Penny's mother telling her about having received the pearl necklace on her twelfth birthday? If so, does the corresponding event or scenario illustrate foreshadowing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
As the story begins, Penny is presented as a character with questions about what Heaven is like. As the story progresses however, it is apparent that she believes that her life will change for the better when she reaches Heaven. In contrast however, she states that she wants to put off death for at least 100 years. Explain how Penny's idea about her eventual enjoyment of Heaven coupled with her idea to put off death for at least 100 years, is illustrative of an antithesis type of literary technique. Support your explanation by citing examples of things that Penny enjoys on Earth, with her visualization of how those same things will be enhanced in Heaven. Then cite the things that she is enjoying on Earth so much, that may be persuading her toward putting off getting to Heaven for at least another 100 years.
Essay Topic 3
Even though he initially drove Penny to the hospital following her accident with the washing machine, Uncle Dominic does not visit her during her lengthy hospital stay. In time, Penny learns that he has traveled to Florida and been there during her time of recuperation. Upon his return, a confrontation occurs between Penny's mother and Uncle Dominic. What was the reason for Uncle Dominic's decision to travel and stay in Florida during the time that Penny was in the hospital? Does his decision to spend time in Florida during Penny's hospital stay indicate that he is not concerned about Penny? Did it indicate that he was more concerned about his own reason(s) for going to Florida than comforting Penny during the time that she needed moral support? Or could there have been another underlying reason(s) for his departure to Florida following Penny's accident? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)