|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Me-me keep the equipment and supplies that Frankie will need to carry out his offer of help to Nonny ?
2. Where does Penny travel for one of her birthday gifts?
3. Whom of the following asks a nurse whether Penny's father was really a spy?
4. What month of the year is underway when Frankie asks Penny to go to the public pool with him?
5. What is Penny doing when Uncle Dominic finally stops by to see her following her stay at the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family togetherness is an apparent overall theme that is illustrated throughout Penny from Heaven. For example, even though Penny's father is deceased, his side of the family still includes Penny in their lives, and Penny does not seem to resist including them in hers. Explain how Penny's father's family (the Faluccis) maintain a familial-type closeness with Penny; and how she shows that although her father is gone, his family - the Faluccis remain very much a part of her life.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, there are various sections that detail actions taken by family members on Penny's father's side that are aimed toward both protecting Penny, and providing her with certain material needs in her life. Could those actions be based largely on her father's members perhaps having vowed to take care of Penny at the time of her father's death? Or could their origin be based on their genuine affection and concern toward Penny's well-being? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios in support of your position.
Essay Topic 3
In retrospect, how does the magic bean that used to belong to Penny's father, that was given to her by Uncle Dominic come to symbolize the passing of legacy from father to daughter? Did the bean's "magical" qualities illustrate that type of connection in any way? Why or why not? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book in support of your position.
This section contains 2,197 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)