|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the flavor of the ice cream that Penny is gifted with while she is recuperating in the hospital?
2. Who arrives at Penny's room at the hospital with a container full of ice cream for Penny?
3. Who does not visit Penny while she is in the hospital?
4. Which of the following is not among the gifts that Penny receives on her birthday?
5. What is Frankie going to attempt to do while carrying out his offer of help to Nonny?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in Chapter 17 of the book, what contributes to Penny's disappointment while she is in the hospital?
2. Based on the text in the twelfth chapter of the book, why does Frankie feel justified in treating Aunt Concetta's death as an uneventful occurrence in his life as well as that of Penny's?
3. According to the text in Chapter 13 of the book, what normal events take place in Penny's life on her birthday?
4. Based on the narrative in the twelfth chapter of the book, how does Penny show her support for Pop-pop's belief that he is able to talk to Mickey, the nephew whom he lost in the War, through radio static?
5. Based on the text in the thirteenth chapter of the book, do any misunderstandings occur between Penny and her mother on her Penny's birthday?
6. According to the narrative in Chapter 20 of the book, do any new beings enter Penny's life after she returns home from the hospital?
7. According to the text in Chapter 20 of the book, do any pleasant things or occurrences take place in Penny's life upon her return from the hospital?
8. Based on the narrative in Chapter 20 of the book, how does Penny's job at Uncle Ralphie's meat market change when she returns to work following her stay in the hospital?
9. Based on the narrative in Chapter 14 of the book, why has Frankie decided to run to Penny's house and hide there?
10. According to the text in Chapter 18, what happens to the eight-year-old female cancer patient after all the other children (with the exception of Penny) have been released from the hospital and gone home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In retrospect, how does the magic bean that used to belong to Penny's father, that was given to her by Uncle Dominic come to symbolize the passing of legacy from father to daughter? Did the bean's "magical" qualities illustrate that type of connection in any way? Why or why not? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book in support of your position.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, two members of Penny's mother's side of the family - namely her mother and her grandfather, Pop-pop, are depicted as conservative type individuals with little if any desire for anything outside the norm of day-to-day existence . As the story progresses however, it becomes evident that both have secret desires for things outside that norm, he for cigars, and she for spending time with Mr. Mulligan. They both resort to using others, such as Connie and Penny to go out and acquire enjoyment with their target desires. Do those actions of theirs convey their lack of honesty toward others or toward themselves? Why or why not? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
As Penny begins her job at Falucci's Market, we meet Uncle Ralphie and Aunt Fulvia - a married couple who apparently do not see eye to eye in the area of finances. Specifically, what are the differences between them? Are either one of them justified in the position that they uphold? Who is right? Who would you side with and why? Include text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)