|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frankie know that he has to do?
2. Which of Penny's relatives has died?
3. Which of the following couples are paid a visit by Me-me and Pop-pop on the same day that Frankie invites Penny to go to the public pool?
4. Who drives Penny to the hospital following her accident?
5. Which of the following activities does Penny find most exhausting during her stay at the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in Chapter 16 of the book, how is Penny distracted to the point that she injures her arm while putting the laundry through the wringer of the washing machine in Nonny's basement?
2. According to the narrative in Chapter 19, what contributes to Penny changing her attitude toward Mr. Mulligan change while she is in the hospital?
3. According to the text in Chapter 13 of the book, what normal events take place in Penny's life on her birthday?
4. Based on the narrative in Chapter 20 of the book, how does Penny's job at Uncle Ralphie's meat market change when she returns to work following her stay in the hospital?
5. According to the narrative in Chapter 17 of the book, what are Penny's thoughts in relation to the people who stop by to visit her while she is in the hospital?
6. Based on the narrative in the thirteenth chapter of the book, how is Penny's birthday observed by her father's side of the family?
7. According to the text in the twelfth chapter of the book, how does Uncle Dominic resolve the situations that Uncle Benny gets into as family members are attempting to make their way to and from Aunt Concetta's wake?
8. According to the narrative in Chapter 14 of the book, what contributes toward Penny shedding tears and telling her Uncle Dominic that her life is all messed up?
9. According to the narrative in Chapter 17 of the book, how do Penny's relatives make her feel special while she is in the hospital?
10. According to the narrative in Chapter 16 of the book, how does Penny react in relation to her arm injury?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Looking at Penny's life throughout the book, and how relatives from both sides of her family - that of her father, and that of her mother - play important roles in her life, can it be said that a village and not a pair of conventional parents helped raise Penny? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
There is a lot of celebration marking Penny's twelfth birthday at the Falucci home. The Faluccis, as is well established, are members of Penny's late father's family. So much attention and love is directed toward Penny that day, making it clear that her uncles - be they her father's brothers or cousins, are all there to make Penny feel special on her special day. There is no doubt that it is a concerted effort on the uncles' parts - but are they doing it all for Penny's sake, her father's sake, their sake - Or any combination thereof? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
We see a little contrast in color in the story as Pop-pop is painting everything in the house with black lacquer because it makes Me-me happy; and in the process, Penny experiences a streak of bad luck with the black paint. Was Me-me's belief that painting everything black would make everything nicer based on superstition? Or was it based on reality? What about Penny's accident with the black paint? Was that merely coincidence based on reality, or was it a streak of bad luck brought about by some element of superstition associated with the black paint? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)