|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not visit Penny while she is in the hospital?
2. What is Penny doing when Uncle Dominic finally stops by to see her following her stay at the hospital?
3. Which of the following terms does Uncle Dominic use in referring to Ann Marie's husband?
4. Whom of the following painted Penny's room in anticipation of her return home from the hospital?
5. Who manages to get an all-access pass to visit Penny in her hospital room at any time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the narrative in Chapter 20 of the book, how does Penny's job at Uncle Ralphie's meat market change when she returns to work following her stay in the hospital?
2. According to the narrative in Chapter 17 of the book, what are Penny's thoughts in relation to the people who stop by to visit her while she is in the hospital?
3. According to the text in Chapter 13 of the book, what normal events take place in Penny's life on her birthday?
4. According to the text in the fourteenth chapter of the book, what does Penny do in order to keep her dying Scarlett O'Hara comfortable during the last hours of her life?
5. Based on the text in the thirteenth chapter of the book, do any misunderstandings occur between Penny and her mother on her Penny's birthday?
6. According to the narrative in the thirteenth chapter of the book, what types of items is Penny gifted with on her birthday that may help enhance her appearance?
7. Based on the narrative in the thirteenth chapter of the book, how is Penny's birthday observed by her father's side of the family?
8. Based on the text in Chapter 14 of the book, how does Frankie's problem with the church ultimately get resolved?
9. According to the narrative in Chapter 19, what contributes to Penny changing her attitude toward Mr. Mulligan change while she is in the hospital?
10. According to the text in Chapter 17 of the book, what happens in relation to those who visit Penny as she continues her stay in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout most of the book, the details surrounding Penny's father's demise are kept from Penny by relatives from both her mother's and father's side. Could the basis for keeping such details from Penny be based on the relatives' determination to protect Penny? O to protect her father? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position?
Essay Topic 2
During Penny's stay in the hospital, Mr. Mulligan visits her, and the two begin a daily meeting of the minds in relation to the news of the day, which Mr. Mulligan shares with Penny via the newspaper. That series of events presents Penny with a pleasant personality traits of Mr. Mulligan that she was not familiar with, and that she learns to appreciate. Looking back at some of the things that Penny did to dissuade Mr. Mulligan from remaining romantically involved with her mother, such as being cross with him and lying to him about her mother having hit her, can Penny's new outlook toward him be based more on her desire for reconciliation, or on her finally accepting that a new man in both her life and that of her mother's may be inevitable and imminent? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Looking at Penny's life throughout the book, and how relatives from both sides of her family - that of her father, and that of her mother - play important roles in her life, can it be said that a village and not a pair of conventional parents helped raise Penny? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)