|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month of the year is underway when Frankie asks Penny to go to the public pool with him?
2. Where does Aunt Gina promise to take Penny when she leaves the hospital?
3. Which of the following will Frankie have to pay for in relation to the misdeed that he has committed?
4. Why does Penny become the most popular person in her ward after visiting hours?
5. What does Penny's mother not have the opportunity to give Penny on her birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in Chapter 16 of the book, how is Penny distracted to the point that she injures her arm while putting the laundry through the wringer of the washing machine in Nonny's basement?
2. According to the text in Chapter 13 of the book, what normal events take place in Penny's life on her birthday?
3. According to the narrative in Chapter 19, what contributes to Penny changing her attitude toward Mr. Mulligan change while she is in the hospital?
4. Based on the narrative in the thirteenth chapter of the book, how is Penny's birthday observed by her father's side of the family?
5. Based on the narrative in Chapter 19, how does Penny finally learn the truth about the circumstances that had surrounded her father's death?
6. According to the text in the fourteenth chapter of the book, what does Penny do in order to keep her dying Scarlett O'Hara comfortable during the last hours of her life?
7. According to the narrative in Chapter 17 of the book, what are Penny's thoughts in relation to the people who stop by to visit her while she is in the hospital?
8. According to the narrative in Chapter 20 of the book, do any new beings enter Penny's life after she returns home from the hospital?
9. According to the text in Chapter 15 of the book, what are some of the reasons that Penny should not join Frankie in going to the public pool?
10. Based on the text in the thirteenth chapter of the book, do any misunderstandings occur between Penny and her mother on her Penny's birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout most of the book, the details surrounding Penny's father's demise are kept from Penny by relatives from both her mother's and father's side. Could the basis for keeping such details from Penny be based on the relatives' determination to protect Penny? O to protect her father? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position?
Essay Topic 2
Introduced early in the story, Penny's Uncle Dominic lives in a car in the Faluccis' front yard. As the story continues, it becomes evident that the man is stable in many ways, and in fact, is a source of stability in Penny's life - always there to rescue Penny, listen to her problems, fix the toilet, and listen to the ball games on the car radio with her. Is he merely a misunderstood eccentric sort living in a car? Does he live in the car because he is frugal? Or does he live in it because he is poor? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
As Penny begins her job at Falucci's Market, we meet Uncle Ralphie and Aunt Fulvia - a married couple who apparently do not see eye to eye in the area of finances. Specifically, what are the differences between them? Are either one of them justified in the position that they uphold? Who is right? Who would you side with and why? Include text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)