|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Frankie lamenting in relation to Penny?
2. Which of the following is Penny's last name?
3. Which of the following best reflects the time that Penny's mother returns home from her date?
4. Who makes Penny tongue-tied outside the eatery where she and Pop-pop enjoy a hamburger and a sundae?
5. What is Penny's mother no longer wearing while she is preparing dinner for her family and Mr. Mulligan?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in Chapter 3 of the book, are any signs visible signs of what may be spousal abuse that Frankie and Penny detect while making a delivery stop at Mrs. Giaquinto's house and speaking with her briefly?
2. Based on the narrative in Chapter 9 of the book, how does Uncle Dominic try to guide Penny toward resolving her discontent when she runs from her house to him sobbing uncontrollably?
3. Based on the text of Chapters 4 and 5 of the book, how does Me-me try to fix Penny's black lacquer-related hair problems?
4. According to the text in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Mr. Mulligan do to try to make a good impression on Penny's mother and her family when he stops by to have dinner with them?
5. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5 of the book, what action by Penny's mother leads Penny to believe that her mother is now in a happier mood than Penny has ever known her to be?
6. Based on the narrative in Chapter 4 of the book, how does Pop-pop painting all of the household furniture with black lacquer affect Penny?
7. Based on the narrative in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, how does Frankie show real concern for his family when his father loses his job?
8. According to the narrative in the sixth chapter of the book, why does Penny consider the toilet repair by her Uncle Dominic a better birthday present than the Fall coat that has been given to her by her Uncle Nunzio?
9. Based on the narrative in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Penny do that causes her mother to be disappointed with her?
10. According to the narrative in the sixth chapter of the book, can Sunday dinners at Penny's paternal grandmother's (Nonny's) house be described as being Italian-themed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout most of the book, the details surrounding Penny's father's demise are kept from Penny by relatives from both her mother's and father's side. Could the basis for keeping such details from Penny be based on the relatives' determination to protect Penny? O to protect her father? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position?
Essay Topic 2
We see a little contrast in color in the story as Pop-pop is painting everything in the house with black lacquer because it makes Me-me happy; and in the process, Penny experiences a streak of bad luck with the black paint. Was Me-me's belief that painting everything black would make everything nicer based on superstition? Or was it based on reality? What about Penny's accident with the black paint? Was that merely coincidence based on reality, or was it a streak of bad luck brought about by some element of superstition associated with the black paint? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Looking at Penny's life throughout the book, and how relatives from both sides of her family - that of her father, and that of her mother - play important roles in her life, can it be said that a village and not a pair of conventional parents helped raise Penny? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)