|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Penny and her father in her dream?
2. Who was nicknamed "the Water Boy"?
3. Where do Penny and Pop-pop enjoy a hamburger and a sundae?
4. What type of animal does Penny's dog chase into the house?
5. Who does Penny help with the laundry?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in the first couple of chapters in the book, why does Penny's maternal grandmother, Me-me, do most of the cooking for Penny and her mother?
2. According to the text in Chapter 3 of the book, how does a large dog interfere with Frankie and Penny's attempt to deliver meat to Mrs. Morelli?
3. Based on the text in the sixth chapter of the book, in what way is Penny's paternal Uncle Nunzio generous to her?
4. Based on the text in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, do Pop-pop and Penny buy anything while they are out for a walk?
5. According to the text in Chapter 3 of the book, are any signs visible signs of what may be spousal abuse that Frankie and Penny detect while making a delivery stop at Mrs. Giaquinto's house and speaking with her briefly?
6. According to the text in Chapter 9 of the book, what contributes toward Penny storming out of the house on Saturday afternoon when Mr. Mulligan stops by to watch the ball game on television with her?
7. Based on the narrative in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, how does Frankie show real concern for his family when his father loses his job?
8. Based on the text in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Penny's mother do to assure an ambiance of comfort in anticipation of Mr. Mulligan's visit to her home for dinner?
9. Based on the text of Chapter 7 in the book, are there any annual events that Penny will be enjoying in the very near future?
10. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5, does Penny have to endure any unwanted physical misfortunes as a result of Pop-pop painting the household furniture with black lacquer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the story, Eleanor, Penny's mother, states that if Frankie is going to work alongside Penny, then she will feel comfortable allowing Penny to work. In making that statement, Eleanor implies that Frankie is an individual that would help assure that Penny would not get into any trouble, as long as Frankie is around her as she performs her job. For that reason perhaps, Eleanor did not show any resistance toward Penny spending time with Frankie. When Frankie goes to court toward the end of the book, it should not be overlooked that he was scared to go there because the judge had previously told him that he did not want to see him back in court again. Was Eleanor not aware of Frankie's court-related past when she based her decision to allow Penny to work on whether Frankie would be working alongside her? Looking back at the the misadventures that Frankie and Penny get into throughout the story however, was Eleanor's assumption of Frankie's character type and influence correct or incorrect? Why or why not? Cite story text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book in support of your position.
Essay Topic 2
In retrospect, how does the magic bean that used to belong to Penny's father, that was given to her by Uncle Dominic come to symbolize the passing of legacy from father to daughter? Did the bean's "magical" qualities illustrate that type of connection in any way? Why or why not? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book in support of your position.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, there are various sections that detail actions taken by family members on Penny's father's side that are aimed toward both protecting Penny, and providing her with certain material needs in her life. Could those actions be based largely on her father's members perhaps having vowed to take care of Penny at the time of her father's death? Or could their origin be based on their genuine affection and concern toward Penny's well-being? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios in support of your position.
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)