|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Specifically, what task will Penny be handling in her new job?
2. Which of the following items does Pop-pop pick up when he takes Penny out for a walk?
3. What is the most significant mystery in Penny's life?
4. Who does Penny punch in the nose during the baseball game that she and Frankie are playing?
5. Which of Penny's relatives lives in a car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the narrative in Chapter 3 of the book, how do Penny and Frankie show their politeness to Mrs. Wiederhorn during their meat delivery stop at her house?
2. Based on the narrative in Chapter 9 of the book, how does Uncle Dominic try to guide Penny toward resolving her discontent when she runs from her house to him sobbing uncontrollably?
3. Based on the focus upon it in the first chapter of the book, what type of lifestyle is that of Penny Falucci's?
4. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5 of the book, what action by Penny's mother leads Penny to believe that her mother is now in a happier mood than Penny has ever known her to be?
5. Based on the text in Chapter 10 of the book, how are some of the townspeople aware that Penny's late grandfather Falucci had buried cash somewhere on his property?
6. Based on the narrative in the sixth chapter of the book, can Penny's paternal side of the family be labeled as small or large?
7. According to the text in Chapter 3 of the book, how does a large dog interfere with Frankie and Penny's attempt to deliver meat to Mrs. Morelli?
8. Based on the text in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Penny's mother do to assure an ambiance of comfort in anticipation of Mr. Mulligan's visit to her home for dinner?
9. According to the narrative in the eleventh chapter of the book, what takes place before Penny receives her shiner from Veronica?
10. According to the text in the first couple of chapters in the book, why does Penny's maternal grandmother, Me-me, do most of the cooking for Penny and her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout most of the book, the details surrounding Penny's father's demise are kept from Penny by relatives from both her mother's and father's side. Could the basis for keeping such details from Penny be based on the relatives' determination to protect Penny? O to protect her father? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position?
Essay Topic 2
Around Penny's twelfth birthday, Penny's mother tells her that she received her first piece of jewelry - a pearl necklace - on her own twelfth birthday. Is there an element of foreshadowing in that scenario in the book? If so, what other scenario can be paired with the foregoing one that would support foreshadowing to have occurred? Is there a corresponding event or scenario that parallels the one of Penny's mother telling her about having received the pearl necklace on her twelfth birthday? If so, does the corresponding event or scenario illustrate foreshadowing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Introduced early in the story, Penny's Uncle Dominic lives in a car in the Faluccis' front yard. As the story continues, it becomes evident that the man is stable in many ways, and in fact, is a source of stability in Penny's life - always there to rescue Penny, listen to her problems, fix the toilet, and listen to the ball games on the car radio with her. Is he merely a misunderstood eccentric sort living in a car? Does he live in the car because he is frugal? Or does he live in it because he is poor? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)