|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is Penny's real first name?
2. Who does Penny usually call to fix the toilet at her house?
3. What does Scarlett O'Hara do while Mr. Mulligan is having dinner with Penny and her family?
4. Who is Penny's mother laughing and talking with at the door when Penny awakens at the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. Which of the following would best describe Garboella?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5 of the book, what action by Penny's mother leads Penny to believe that her mother is now in a happier mood than Penny has ever known her to be?
2. Based on the narrative in Chapter 4 of the book, how does Pop-pop painting all of the household furniture with black lacquer affect Penny?
3. Based on the narrative in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Penny do that causes her mother to be disappointed with her?
4. Based on the text in Chapter 10 of the book, how are some of the townspeople aware that Penny's late grandfather Falucci had buried cash somewhere on his property?
5. According to the text in the first couple of chapters in the book, why does Penny's maternal grandmother, Me-me, do most of the cooking for Penny and her mother?
6. Based on the narrative in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, how does Frankie show real concern for his family when his father loses his job?
7. Based on the focus upon it in the first chapter of the book, what type of lifestyle is that of Penny Falucci's?
8. Based on the text of Chapter 7 in the book, are there any annual events that Penny will be enjoying in the very near future?
9. Based on the narrative in the sixth chapter of the book, can Penny's paternal side of the family be labeled as small or large?
10. According to the text in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Mr. Mulligan do to try to make a good impression on Penny's mother and her family when he stops by to have dinner with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During Penny's stay in the hospital, Mr. Mulligan visits her, and the two begin a daily meeting of the minds in relation to the news of the day, which Mr. Mulligan shares with Penny via the newspaper. That series of events presents Penny with a pleasant personality traits of Mr. Mulligan that she was not familiar with, and that she learns to appreciate. Looking back at some of the things that Penny did to dissuade Mr. Mulligan from remaining romantically involved with her mother, such as being cross with him and lying to him about her mother having hit her, can Penny's new outlook toward him be based more on her desire for reconciliation, or on her finally accepting that a new man in both her life and that of her mother's may be inevitable and imminent? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
The time comes when Penny realizes that the friendship between her mother and Mr. Mulligan is a romantic type. Does that time in Penny's life signal a forced end to her childhood in terms of having to let go of her father? Or does it signal the beginning of Penny's transition into adulthood in terms of accepting a new man in her mother's life, and a new father in hers? Cite examples and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book in support of your position.
Essay Topic 3
Family togetherness is an apparent overall theme that is illustrated throughout Penny from Heaven. For example, even though Penny's father is deceased, his side of the family still includes Penny in their lives, and Penny does not seem to resist including them in hers. Explain how Penny's father's family (the Faluccis) maintain a familial-type closeness with Penny; and how she shows that although her father is gone, his family - the Faluccis remain very much a part of her life.
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)