|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Penny select for her mother from her relative's clothing store?
2. What is Penny's mother no longer wearing while she is preparing dinner for her family and Mr. Mulligan?
3. What was Penny's mother wearing in the photo behind which Penny's father wrote, "I am the luckiest fella ever"?
4. What type of animal does Penny's dog chase into the house?
5. What does Penny pay for with earnings from her job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the text of Chapters 4 and 5 of the book, how does Me-me try to fix Penny's black lacquer-related hair problems?
2. According to the text in Chapter 3 of the book, how does a large dog interfere with Frankie and Penny's attempt to deliver meat to Mrs. Morelli?
3. Based on the text in Chapter 20 of the book, how has Penny's bedroom been changed when she returns home following her stay in the hospital?
4. According to the text in Chapters 7 and 8, what is discussed between Frankie and Penny while they are in the basement helping Nonny with the laundry?
5. According to the text in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Mr. Mulligan do to try to make a good impression on Penny's mother and her family when he stops by to have dinner with them?
6. According to the narrative in the twelfth chapter of the book, how does Frankie attempt to turn Aunt Concetta's wake into what he considers to be a fun event for himself?
7. Based on the text in the sixth chapter of the book, in what way is Penny's paternal Uncle Nunzio generous to her?
8. Based on the narrative in the first chapter of the book, how are Penny and her Uncle Dominic "different" from other baseball fans in their community?
9. According to the text in Chapter 13 of the book, what normal events take place in Penny's life on her birthday?
10. Based on the text in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, do Pop-pop and Penny buy anything while they are out for a walk?
Essay Topic 1
As the story begins, Penny is presented as a character with questions about what Heaven is like. As the story progresses however, it is apparent that she believes that her life will change for the better when she reaches Heaven. In contrast however, she states that she wants to put off death for at least 100 years. Explain how Penny's idea about her eventual enjoyment of Heaven coupled with her idea to put off death for at least 100 years, is illustrative of an antithesis type of literary technique. Support your explanation by citing examples of things that Penny enjoys on Earth, with her visualization of how those same things will be enhanced in Heaven. Then cite the things that she is enjoying on Earth so much, that may be persuading her toward putting off getting to Heaven for at least another 100 years.
Essay Topic 2
Looking at Penny's life throughout the book, and how relatives from both sides of her family - that of her father, and that of her mother - play important roles in her life, can it be said that a village and not a pair of conventional parents helped raise Penny? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Introduced early in the story, Penny's Uncle Dominic lives in a car in the Faluccis' front yard. As the story continues, it becomes evident that the man is stable in many ways, and in fact, is a source of stability in Penny's life - always there to rescue Penny, listen to her problems, fix the toilet, and listen to the ball games on the car radio with her. Is he merely a misunderstood eccentric sort living in a car? Does he live in the car because he is frugal? Or does he live in it because he is poor? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
This section contains 2,776 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)