|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was nicknamed "the Water Boy"?
2. Who owns a clothing store?
3. What is Frankie lamenting in relation to Penny?
4. What baseball position does Frankie ask Penny to play?
5. Which of the following words is misspelled on the sign on the fence at Mrs. Morelli's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the text of Chapter 21 of the book, does life change at Penny's house after Mr. Mulligan marries her mother and moves in?
2. According to the text in Chapter 16 of the book, how is Penny distracted to the point that she injures her arm while putting the laundry through the wringer of the washing machine in Nonny's basement?
3. Based on the narrative in the thirteenth chapter of the book, how is Penny's birthday observed by her father's side of the family?
4. Based on the narrative in Chapter 3 of the book, how do Penny and Frankie show their politeness to Mrs. Wiederhorn during their meat delivery stop at her house?
5. Based on the text of Chapters 4 and 5 of the book, how does Me-me try to fix Penny's black lacquer-related hair problems?
6. According to the text in the fourteenth chapter of the book, what does Penny do in order to keep her dying Scarlett O'Hara comfortable during the last hours of her life?
7. Based on the narrative in Chapter 15 of the book, what contributes to Penny spending a perfect day with Uncle Dominic some time after she is grounded for having disobeyed Me-me's order of not going to the public pool with Frankie?
8. Based on the text in Chapter 20 of the book, how has Penny's bedroom been changed when she returns home following her stay in the hospital?
9. Based on the narrative in Chapter 3 of the book, can it be said that Penny's Uncle Ralphie is more generous than her Aunt Fulvia?
10. According to the text in Chapter 13 of the book, what normal events take place in Penny's life on her birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Penny's father has been dead for a number of years, it is apparent that his family members have not let him go. There are numerous actions and activities in the story that illustrate how members of his side of the family continue to mourn for him. Explain whether their action(s) and/or activities have influenced Penny's feelings toward her deceased father in a positive or negative way, citing examples from the book in support of your position.
Essay Topic 2
As Penny begins her job at Falucci's Market, we meet Uncle Ralphie and Aunt Fulvia - a married couple who apparently do not see eye to eye in the area of finances. Specifically, what are the differences between them? Are either one of them justified in the position that they uphold? Who is right? Who would you side with and why? Include text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
As the story begins, Penny is presented as a character with questions about what Heaven is like. As the story progresses however, it is apparent that she believes that her life will change for the better when she reaches Heaven. In contrast however, she states that she wants to put off death for at least 100 years. Explain how Penny's idea about her eventual enjoyment of Heaven coupled with her idea to put off death for at least 100 years, is illustrative of an antithesis type of literary technique. Support your explanation by citing examples of things that Penny enjoys on Earth, with her visualization of how those same things will be enhanced in Heaven. Then cite the things that she is enjoying on Earth so much, that may be persuading her toward putting off getting to Heaven for at least another 100 years.
This section contains 2,814 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)