|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is an after dinner activity at Nonny's?
2. What does Frankie want Uncle Dominic to teach him?
3. Who makes Penny tongue-tied outside the eatery where she and Pop-pop enjoy a hamburger and a sundae?
4. What does Mr. Mulligan give to Me-me, Penny, and her mother, Eleanor when he pays them a visit?
5. Which dress does Penny choose for her Aunt Gina to wear to her dancing session?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the text in Chapter 10 of the book, how are some of the townspeople aware that Penny's late grandfather Falucci had buried cash somewhere on his property?
2. Based on the text of Chapters 4 and 5 of the book, how does Me-me try to fix Penny's black lacquer-related hair problems?
3. Based on the narrative in Chapter 3 of the book, can it be said that Penny's Uncle Ralphie is more generous than her Aunt Fulvia?
4. Based on the narrative at the beginning of Chapter 9, how does Penny's mother's relationship with Mr. Mulligan become more apparent to Penny upon her return home from Nonny's?
5. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5, does Penny have to endure any unwanted physical misfortunes as a result of Pop-pop painting the household furniture with black lacquer?
6. Based on the narrative in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Penny do that causes her mother to be disappointed with her?
7. Based on the text in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Penny's mother do to assure an ambiance of comfort in anticipation of Mr. Mulligan's visit to her home for dinner?
8. Based on the narrative in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, how does Frankie show real concern for his family when his father loses his job?
9. According to the narrative in the eleventh chapter of the book, what takes place before Penny receives her shiner from Veronica?
10. Based on the narrative in the first two chapters of the book, can Penny's Uncle Dominic be considered to be eccentric?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family togetherness is an apparent overall theme that is illustrated throughout Penny from Heaven. For example, even though Penny's father is deceased, his side of the family still includes Penny in their lives, and Penny does not seem to resist including them in hers. Explain how Penny's father's family (the Faluccis) maintain a familial-type closeness with Penny; and how she shows that although her father is gone, his family - the Faluccis remain very much a part of her life.
Essay Topic 2
Although Penny's father has been dead for a number of years, it is apparent that his family members have not let him go. There are numerous actions and activities in the story that illustrate how members of his side of the family continue to mourn for him. Explain whether their action(s) and/or activities have influenced Penny's feelings toward her deceased father in a positive or negative way, citing examples from the book in support of your position.
Essay Topic 3
In retrospect, how does the magic bean that used to belong to Penny's father, that was given to her by Uncle Dominic come to symbolize the passing of legacy from father to daughter? Did the bean's "magical" qualities illustrate that type of connection in any way? Why or why not? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book in support of your position.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)