Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following causes Penny to awake from her dream?
2. What does Pop-pop ask Mr. Mulligan?
3. What does Penny's mother do for a living?
4. What does Frankie offer to do for Uncle Paulie?
5. Why do Eleanor and Me-me leave the dining room during their dinner with Mr. Mulligan, Penny, and Pop-pop?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in Chapter 9 of the book, what contributes toward Penny storming out of the house on Saturday afternoon when Mr. Mulligan stops by to watch the ball game on television with her?
2. According to the narrative in Chapter 17 of the book, how do Penny's relatives make her feel special while she is in the hospital?
3. Based on the narrative in Chapter 15 of the book, what contributes to Penny spending a perfect day with Uncle Dominic some time after she is grounded for having disobeyed Me-me's order of not going to the public pool with Frankie?
4. According to the narrative in the twelfth chapter of the book, how does Frankie attempt to turn Aunt Concetta's wake into what he considers to be a fun event for himself?
5. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5 of the book, what action by Penny's mother leads Penny to believe that her mother is now in a happier mood than Penny has ever known her to be?
6. Based on the narrative in the first chapter of the book, how are Penny and her Uncle Dominic "different" from other baseball fans in their community?
7. Based on the text in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, do Pop-pop and Penny buy anything while they are out for a walk?
8. According to the text in Chapter 20 of the book, do any pleasant things or occurrences take place in Penny's life upon her return from the hospital?
9. According to the text in Chapter 17 of the book, what happens in relation to those who visit Penny as she continues her stay in the hospital?
10. Based on the narrative in Chapter 14 of the book, why has Frankie decided to run to Penny's house and hide there?
Essay Topic 1
As the story begins, Penny is presented as a character with questions about what Heaven is like. As the story progresses however, it is apparent that she believes that her life will change for the better when she reaches Heaven. In contrast however, she states that she wants to put off death for at least 100 years. Explain how Penny's idea about her eventual enjoyment of Heaven coupled with her idea to put off death for at least 100 years, is illustrative of an antithesis type of literary technique. Support your explanation by citing examples of things that Penny enjoys on Earth, with her visualization of how those same things will be enhanced in Heaven. Then cite the things that she is enjoying on Earth so much, that may be persuading her toward putting off getting to Heaven for at least another 100 years.
Essay Topic 2
Introduced early in the story, Penny's Uncle Dominic lives in a car in the Faluccis' front yard. As the story continues, it becomes evident that the man is stable in many ways, and in fact, is a source of stability in Penny's life - always there to rescue Penny, listen to her problems, fix the toilet, and listen to the ball games on the car radio with her. Is he merely a misunderstood eccentric sort living in a car? Does he live in the car because he is frugal? Or does he live in it because he is poor? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
As Penny begins her job at Falucci's Market, we meet Uncle Ralphie and Aunt Fulvia - a married couple who apparently do not see eye to eye in the area of finances. Specifically, what are the differences between them? Are either one of them justified in the position that they uphold? Who is right? Who would you side with and why? Include text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)