|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Mulligan give to Me-me, Penny, and her mother, Eleanor when he pays them a visit?
2. Where does Penny end up going when she visits her father's side of the family?
3. What is Pop-pop painting on the summer porch?
4. Which of the following is an after dinner activity at Nonny's?
5. Traditionally, when does Penny's mom (Eleanor) cook?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Mr. Mulligan do to try to make a good impression on Penny's mother and her family when he stops by to have dinner with them?
2. Based on the narrative at the beginning of Chapter 9, how does Penny's mother's relationship with Mr. Mulligan become more apparent to Penny upon her return home from Nonny's?
3. Based on the narrative in the sixth chapter of the book, can Penny's paternal side of the family be labeled as small or large?
4. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5, does Penny have to endure any unwanted physical misfortunes as a result of Pop-pop painting the household furniture with black lacquer?
5. Based on the narrative in the first two chapters of the book, can Penny's Uncle Dominic be considered to be eccentric?
6. Based on the narrative in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, how does Frankie show real concern for his family when his father loses his job?
7. Based on the narrative in Chapter 3 of the book, how do Penny and Frankie show their politeness to Mrs. Wiederhorn during their meat delivery stop at her house?
8. According to the text in Chapters 7 and 8, what is discussed between Frankie and Penny while they are in the basement helping Nonny with the laundry?
9. Based on the narrative in the first chapter of the book, how are Penny and her Uncle Dominic "different" from other baseball fans in their community?
10. Based on the text of Chapter 7 in the book, are there any annual events that Penny will be enjoying in the very near future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family togetherness is an apparent overall theme that is illustrated throughout Penny from Heaven. For example, even though Penny's father is deceased, his side of the family still includes Penny in their lives, and Penny does not seem to resist including them in hers. Explain how Penny's father's family (the Faluccis) maintain a familial-type closeness with Penny; and how she shows that although her father is gone, his family - the Faluccis remain very much a part of her life.
Essay Topic 2
There is within the story, a flashback of Penny dreaming about being with her father at the beach - an obvious illusion of sorts. She is awakened by water from a leaky toilet leaking on her face. She calls on her Uncle Dominic to fix the leaky toilet; and he does - just as he has always done before. Does the leaky toilet wake up Penny to the fact that her biological father now only exists in her dreams, while the role that her Uncle Dominic has in her life is more that of a real father? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
There is a lot of celebration marking Penny's twelfth birthday at the Falucci home. The Faluccis, as is well established, are members of Penny's late father's family. So much attention and love is directed toward Penny that day, making it clear that her uncles - be they her father's brothers or cousins, are all there to make Penny feel special on her special day. There is no doubt that it is a concerted effort on the uncles' parts - but are they doing it all for Penny's sake, her father's sake, their sake - Or any combination thereof? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)