|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words is misspelled on the sign on the fence at Mrs. Morelli's house?
2. What does Penny find under her mother's bed?
3. What is the primary language that Penny's uncles speak?
4. What is the fight that Penny gets in at the ball field based upon?
5. How old is the baby brother of Penny's co-worker?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the focus upon it in the first chapter of the book, what type of lifestyle is that of Penny Falucci's?
2. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5, does Penny have to endure any unwanted physical misfortunes as a result of Pop-pop painting the household furniture with black lacquer?
3. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5 of the book, what action by Penny's mother leads Penny to believe that her mother is now in a happier mood than Penny has ever known her to be?
4. According to the text in Chapters 7 and 8, what is discussed between Frankie and Penny while they are in the basement helping Nonny with the laundry?
5. Based on the text in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Penny's mother do to assure an ambiance of comfort in anticipation of Mr. Mulligan's visit to her home for dinner?
6. Based on the narrative in Chapter 3 of the book, how do Penny and Frankie show their politeness to Mrs. Wiederhorn during their meat delivery stop at her house?
7. Based on the narrative in Chapter 3 of the book, can it be said that Penny's Uncle Ralphie is more generous than her Aunt Fulvia?
8. According to the text in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Mr. Mulligan do to try to make a good impression on Penny's mother and her family when he stops by to have dinner with them?
9. According to the narrative in the sixth chapter of the book, why does Penny consider the toilet repair by her Uncle Dominic a better birthday present than the Fall coat that has been given to her by her Uncle Nunzio?
10. Based on the text in Chapter 10 of the book, how are some of the townspeople aware that Penny's late grandfather Falucci had buried cash somewhere on his property?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Introduced early in the story, Penny's Uncle Dominic lives in a car in the Faluccis' front yard. As the story continues, it becomes evident that the man is stable in many ways, and in fact, is a source of stability in Penny's life - always there to rescue Penny, listen to her problems, fix the toilet, and listen to the ball games on the car radio with her. Is he merely a misunderstood eccentric sort living in a car? Does he live in the car because he is frugal? Or does he live in it because he is poor? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
There is a lot of celebration marking Penny's twelfth birthday at the Falucci home. The Faluccis, as is well established, are members of Penny's late father's family. So much attention and love is directed toward Penny that day, making it clear that her uncles - be they her father's brothers or cousins, are all there to make Penny feel special on her special day. There is no doubt that it is a concerted effort on the uncles' parts - but are they doing it all for Penny's sake, her father's sake, their sake - Or any combination thereof? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
There is within the story, a flashback of Penny dreaming about being with her father at the beach - an obvious illusion of sorts. She is awakened by water from a leaky toilet leaking on her face. She calls on her Uncle Dominic to fix the leaky toilet; and he does - just as he has always done before. Does the leaky toilet wake up Penny to the fact that her biological father now only exists in her dreams, while the role that her Uncle Dominic has in her life is more that of a real father? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)