|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best reflects the time that Penny's mother returns home from her date?
2. What does Penny attempt to lead Mr. Mulligan into believing about her mother?
3. What does Scarlett O'Hara do while Mr. Mulligan is having dinner with Penny and her family?
4. Whose house grounds were supposed to be stashed with money?
5. Who owns a clothing store?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the text in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Penny's mother do to assure an ambiance of comfort in anticipation of Mr. Mulligan's visit to her home for dinner?
2. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5, does Penny have to endure any unwanted physical misfortunes as a result of Pop-pop painting the household furniture with black lacquer?
3. Based on the text of Chapters 4 and 5 of the book, how does Me-me try to fix Penny's black lacquer-related hair problems?
4. Based on the focus upon it in the first chapter of the book, what type of lifestyle is that of Penny Falucci's?
5. According to the text in Chapter 3 of the book, how does a large dog interfere with Frankie and Penny's attempt to deliver meat to Mrs. Morelli?
6. Based on the narrative in the first two chapters of the book, can Penny's Uncle Dominic be considered to be eccentric?
7. Based on the narrative at the beginning of Chapter 9, how does Penny's mother's relationship with Mr. Mulligan become more apparent to Penny upon her return home from Nonny's?
8. According to the narrative in the eleventh chapter of the book, what takes place before Penny receives her shiner from Veronica?
9. Based on the text in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, do Pop-pop and Penny buy anything while they are out for a walk?
10. Based on the text in Chapter 10 of the book, how are some of the townspeople aware that Penny's late grandfather Falucci had buried cash somewhere on his property?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of generosity extended toward Penny throughout the book, especially from relatives on her father's side of the family. Whose generosity does Penny value the most? Uncle Nunzio's? Uncle Ralphie's? Or Uncle Dominic's? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
In retrospect, how does the magic bean that used to belong to Penny's father, that was given to her by Uncle Dominic come to symbolize the passing of legacy from father to daughter? Did the bean's "magical" qualities illustrate that type of connection in any way? Why or why not? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book in support of your position.
Essay Topic 3
The time comes when Penny realizes that the friendship between her mother and Mr. Mulligan is a romantic type. Does that time in Penny's life signal a forced end to her childhood in terms of having to let go of her father? Or does it signal the beginning of Penny's transition into adulthood in terms of accepting a new man in her mother's life, and a new father in hers? Cite examples and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book in support of your position.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)