|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of action do Penny and her co-worker take against the dog that chases them down the road?
2. Which of the following best reflects the time that Penny's mother returns home from her date?
3. What does Scarlett O'Hara do while Mr. Mulligan is having dinner with Penny and her family?
4. What baseball position does Frankie ask Penny to play?
5. Which of the following is an after dinner activity at Nonny's?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrative in the sixth chapter of the book, why does Penny consider the toilet repair by her Uncle Dominic a better birthday present than the Fall coat that has been given to her by her Uncle Nunzio?
2. According to the text in Chapter 18, what happens to the eight-year-old female cancer patient after all the other children (with the exception of Penny) have been released from the hospital and gone home?
3. Based on the narrative in the twelfth chapter of the book, how does Penny show her support for Pop-pop's belief that he is able to talk to Mickey, the nephew whom he lost in the War, through radio static?
4. Based on the text in Chapter 10 of the book, how are some of the townspeople aware that Penny's late grandfather Falucci had buried cash somewhere on his property?
5. According to the narrative in the eleventh chapter of the book, what takes place before Penny receives her shiner from Veronica?
6. Based on the text in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Penny's mother do to assure an ambiance of comfort in anticipation of Mr. Mulligan's visit to her home for dinner?
7. Based on the focus upon it in the first chapter of the book, what type of lifestyle is that of Penny Falucci's?
8. According to the narrative in Chapter 16 of the book, how does Penny react in relation to her arm injury?
9. According to the text in Chapter 22 of the book, what is Penny's visualization of heaven like at the end of the book?
10. Based on the narrative in Chapter 14 of the book, why has Frankie decided to run to Penny's house and hide there?
Essay Topic 1
In retrospect, how does the magic bean that used to belong to Penny's father, that was given to her by Uncle Dominic come to symbolize the passing of legacy from father to daughter? Did the bean's "magical" qualities illustrate that type of connection in any way? Why or why not? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book in support of your position.
Essay Topic 2
Penny's father's family is large and fun-loving while the family of Penny's mother's is small in number and reserved. Overall, which side of Penny's family - her father's side; or her mother's side seems to influence Penny the most? What side of the family does she have the tendency to like and listen to more? Her mother's side? Or her father's side? Cite examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Although Penny's father has been dead for a number of years, it is apparent that his family members have not let him go. There are numerous actions and activities in the story that illustrate how members of his side of the family continue to mourn for him. Explain whether their action(s) and/or activities have influenced Penny's feelings toward her deceased father in a positive or negative way, citing examples from the book in support of your position.
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)