|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Penny's clothing store owning relative offer her from the store every year?
2. What does Penny's mother ask her to do as she gets ready to go out to dinner?
3. Traditionally, when does Penny's mom (Eleanor) cook?
4. Who makes Penny tongue-tied outside the eatery where she and Pop-pop enjoy a hamburger and a sundae?
5. Where is Aunt Gina planning to go dancing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the text in the sixth chapter of the book, in what way is Penny's paternal Uncle Nunzio generous to her?
2. Based on the narrative in the sixth chapter of the book, can Penny's paternal side of the family be labeled as small or large?
3. Based on the focus upon it in the first chapter of the book, what type of lifestyle is that of Penny Falucci's?
4. According to the text in Chapter 3 of the book, are any signs visible signs of what may be spousal abuse that Frankie and Penny detect while making a delivery stop at Mrs. Giaquinto's house and speaking with her briefly?
5. According to the text in the first couple of chapters in the book, why does Penny's maternal grandmother, Me-me, do most of the cooking for Penny and her mother?
6. Based on the narrative in Chapter 3 of the book, how do Penny and Frankie show their politeness to Mrs. Wiederhorn during their meat delivery stop at her house?
7. According to the text in Chapters 7 and 8, what is discussed between Frankie and Penny while they are in the basement helping Nonny with the laundry?
8. Based on the narrative in Chapter 4 of the book, how does Pop-pop painting all of the household furniture with black lacquer affect Penny?
9. According to the text in Chapter 3 of the book, how does a large dog interfere with Frankie and Penny's attempt to deliver meat to Mrs. Morelli?
10. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5 of the book, what action by Penny's mother leads Penny to believe that her mother is now in a happier mood than Penny has ever known her to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of celebration marking Penny's twelfth birthday at the Falucci home. The Faluccis, as is well established, are members of Penny's late father's family. So much attention and love is directed toward Penny that day, making it clear that her uncles - be they her father's brothers or cousins, are all there to make Penny feel special on her special day. There is no doubt that it is a concerted effort on the uncles' parts - but are they doing it all for Penny's sake, her father's sake, their sake - Or any combination thereof? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
As the story begins, Penny is presented as a character with questions about what Heaven is like. As the story progresses however, it is apparent that she believes that her life will change for the better when she reaches Heaven. In contrast however, she states that she wants to put off death for at least 100 years. Explain how Penny's idea about her eventual enjoyment of Heaven coupled with her idea to put off death for at least 100 years, is illustrative of an antithesis type of literary technique. Support your explanation by citing examples of things that Penny enjoys on Earth, with her visualization of how those same things will be enhanced in Heaven. Then cite the things that she is enjoying on Earth so much, that may be persuading her toward putting off getting to Heaven for at least another 100 years.
Essay Topic 3
Penny's father's family is large and fun-loving while the family of Penny's mother's is small in number and reserved. Overall, which side of Penny's family - her father's side; or her mother's side seems to influence Penny the most? What side of the family does she have the tendency to like and listen to more? Her mother's side? Or her father's side? Cite examples from the book to support your position.
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)