Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following causes Penny to awake from her dream?
2. What does Pop-pop ask Mr. Mulligan?
3. What does Penny's mother do for a living?
4. What does Frankie offer to do for Uncle Paulie?
5. Why do Eleanor and Me-me leave the dining room during their dinner with Mr. Mulligan, Penny, and Pop-pop?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in Chapter 9 of the book, what contributes toward Penny storming out of the house on Saturday afternoon when Mr. Mulligan stops by to watch the ball game on television with her?
2. According to the narrative in Chapter 17 of the book, how do Penny's relatives make her feel special while she is in the hospital?
3. Based on the narrative in Chapter 15 of the book, what contributes to Penny spending a perfect day with Uncle Dominic some time after she is grounded for having disobeyed Me-me's order of not going to the public pool with Frankie?
4. According to the narrative in the twelfth chapter of the book, how does Frankie attempt to turn Aunt Concetta's wake into what he considers to be a fun event for himself?
5. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5 of the book, what action by Penny's mother leads Penny to believe that her mother is now in a happier mood than Penny has ever known her to be?
6. Based on the narrative in the first chapter of the book, how are Penny and her Uncle Dominic "different" from other baseball fans in their community?
7. Based on the text in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, do Pop-pop and Penny buy anything while they are out for a walk?
8. According to the text in Chapter 20 of the book, do any pleasant things or occurrences take place in Penny's life upon her return from the hospital?
9. According to the text in Chapter 17 of the book, what happens in relation to those who visit Penny as she continues her stay in the hospital?
10. Based on the narrative in Chapter 14 of the book, why has Frankie decided to run to Penny's house and hide there?
There is a lot of generosity extended toward Penny throughout the book, especially from relatives on her father's side of the family. Whose generosity does Penny value the most? Uncle Nunzio's? Uncle Ralphie's? Or Uncle Dominic's? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
Even though he initially drove Penny to the hospital following her accident with the washing machine, Uncle Dominic does not visit her during her lengthy hospital stay. In time, Penny learns that he has traveled to Florida and been there during her time of recuperation. Upon his return, a confrontation occurs between Penny's mother and Uncle Dominic. What was the reason for Uncle Dominic's decision to travel and stay in Florida during the time that Penny was in the hospital? Does his decision to spend time in Florida during Penny's hospital stay indicate that he is not concerned about Penny? Did it indicate that he was more concerned about his own reason(s) for going to Florida than comforting Penny during the time that she needed moral support? Or could there have been another underlying reason(s) for his departure to Florida following Penny's accident? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
Although Penny's father has been dead for a number of years, it is apparent that his family members have not let him go. There are numerous actions and activities in the story that illustrate how members of his side of the family continue to mourn for him. Explain whether their action(s) and/or activities have influenced Penny's feelings toward her deceased father in a positive or negative way, citing examples from the book in support of your position.
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)