|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is Penny's last name?
2. Who makes Penny tongue-tied outside the eatery where she and Pop-pop enjoy a hamburger and a sundae?
3. What is the most significant mystery in Penny's life?
4. Where are Penny and her father in her dream?
5. What does Penny's clothing store owning relative offer her from the store every year?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5, does Penny have to endure any unwanted physical misfortunes as a result of Pop-pop painting the household furniture with black lacquer?
2. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5 of the book, what action by Penny's mother leads Penny to believe that her mother is now in a happier mood than Penny has ever known her to be?
3. According to the text in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Mr. Mulligan do to try to make a good impression on Penny's mother and her family when he stops by to have dinner with them?
4. Based on the narrative in Chapter 3 of the book, how do Penny and Frankie show their politeness to Mrs. Wiederhorn during their meat delivery stop at her house?
5. Based on the narrative in the first chapter of the book, how are Penny and her Uncle Dominic "different" from other baseball fans in their community?
6. Based on the text in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, do Pop-pop and Penny buy anything while they are out for a walk?
7. Based on the focus upon it in the first chapter of the book, what type of lifestyle is that of Penny Falucci's?
8. According to the narrative in the eleventh chapter of the book, what takes place before Penny receives her shiner from Veronica?
9. According to the narrative in the sixth chapter of the book, can Sunday dinners at Penny's paternal grandmother's (Nonny's) house be described as being Italian-themed?
10. According to the text in Chapters 7 and 8, what is discussed between Frankie and Penny while they are in the basement helping Nonny with the laundry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of celebration marking Penny's twelfth birthday at the Falucci home. The Faluccis, as is well established, are members of Penny's late father's family. So much attention and love is directed toward Penny that day, making it clear that her uncles - be they her father's brothers or cousins, are all there to make Penny feel special on her special day. There is no doubt that it is a concerted effort on the uncles' parts - but are they doing it all for Penny's sake, her father's sake, their sake - Or any combination thereof? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, there are various sections that detail actions taken by family members on Penny's father's side that are aimed toward both protecting Penny, and providing her with certain material needs in her life. Could those actions be based largely on her father's members perhaps having vowed to take care of Penny at the time of her father's death? Or could their origin be based on their genuine affection and concern toward Penny's well-being? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios in support of your position.
Essay Topic 3
We see a little contrast in color in the story as Pop-pop is painting everything in the house with black lacquer because it makes Me-me happy; and in the process, Penny experiences a streak of bad luck with the black paint. Was Me-me's belief that painting everything black would make everything nicer based on superstition? Or was it based on reality? What about Penny's accident with the black paint? Was that merely coincidence based on reality, or was it a streak of bad luck brought about by some element of superstition associated with the black paint? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)