|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Penny and Pop-pop enjoy a hamburger and a sundae?
2. What day of the week does Penny have dinner at Nonny's?
3. Who does Penny usually call to fix the toilet at her house?
4. Who is arguing while Penny is working on the laundry?
5. Which of the following best reflects the time that Penny's mother returns home from her date?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the narrative in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, how does Frankie show real concern for his family when his father loses his job?
2. Based on the narrative in Chapter 3 of the book, how do Penny and Frankie show their politeness to Mrs. Wiederhorn during their meat delivery stop at her house?
3. Based on the text in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, do Pop-pop and Penny buy anything while they are out for a walk?
4. Based on the narrative in Chapter 9 of the book, how does Uncle Dominic try to guide Penny toward resolving her discontent when she runs from her house to him sobbing uncontrollably?
5. Based on the narrative in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Penny do that causes her mother to be disappointed with her?
6. Based on the text in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Penny's mother do to assure an ambiance of comfort in anticipation of Mr. Mulligan's visit to her home for dinner?
7. Based on the narrative in the sixth chapter of the book, can Penny's paternal side of the family be labeled as small or large?
8. According to the text in Chapter 3 of the book, are any signs visible signs of what may be spousal abuse that Frankie and Penny detect while making a delivery stop at Mrs. Giaquinto's house and speaking with her briefly?
9. According to the text in the first couple of chapters in the book, why does Penny's maternal grandmother, Me-me, do most of the cooking for Penny and her mother?
10. According to the narrative in the sixth chapter of the book, why does Penny consider the toilet repair by her Uncle Dominic a better birthday present than the Fall coat that has been given to her by her Uncle Nunzio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Penny begins her job at Falucci's Market, we meet Uncle Ralphie and Aunt Fulvia - a married couple who apparently do not see eye to eye in the area of finances. Specifically, what are the differences between them? Are either one of them justified in the position that they uphold? Who is right? Who would you side with and why? Include text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
There is a lot of generosity extended toward Penny throughout the book, especially from relatives on her father's side of the family. Whose generosity does Penny value the most? Uncle Nunzio's? Uncle Ralphie's? Or Uncle Dominic's? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Even though he initially drove Penny to the hospital following her accident with the washing machine, Uncle Dominic does not visit her during her lengthy hospital stay. In time, Penny learns that he has traveled to Florida and been there during her time of recuperation. Upon his return, a confrontation occurs between Penny's mother and Uncle Dominic. What was the reason for Uncle Dominic's decision to travel and stay in Florida during the time that Penny was in the hospital? Does his decision to spend time in Florida during Penny's hospital stay indicate that he is not concerned about Penny? Did it indicate that he was more concerned about his own reason(s) for going to Florida than comforting Penny during the time that she needed moral support? Or could there have been another underlying reason(s) for his departure to Florida following Penny's accident? Cite text and/or paraphrase scenarios from the book to support your position.
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)