|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Aunt Gina promise to take Penny when she leaves the hospital?
(a) To Radio City Music Hall.
(b) To a lighthouse in Maine.
(c) To Coney Island.
(d) To the boardwalk in Atlantic City.
2. Whom of the following painted Penny's room in anticipation of her return home from the hospital?
(b) Uncle Dominic.
(c) Mr. Mulligan.
(d) Uncle Ralphie.
3. What type of disease does Me-me believe that a person can contract at a public pool?
4. What is the name of Penny's doctor?
(a) Dr. Stewart.
(b) Dr. Boyle.
(c) Dr. Goldstein.
(d) Dr. Updike.
5. What had the judge told Frankie the last time that he had appeared before the bench?
(a) That he needed to hire a lawyer.
(b) That he had a son who looked a lot like him (Frankie).
(c) That he better not see him in court again.
(d) That he would try him, even if he were a juvenile.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom of the following asks a nurse whether Penny's father was really a spy?
2. Which of Penny's relatives has died?
3. Whom of the following is Frankie working for after Penny is released from the hospital?
4. Which of the following newspaper sections are read to Penny on while she is at the hospital?
5. Whom of the following is the lifeguard on duty on the day that Penny and Frankie visit the public pool for a swim?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in Chapter 15 of the book, what are some of the reasons that Penny should not join Frankie in going to the public pool?
2. According to the text in Chapter 18, what happens to the eight-year-old female cancer patient after all the other children (with the exception of Penny) have been released from the hospital and gone home?
3. Based on the narrative in the twelfth chapter of the book, how does Penny show her support for Pop-pop's belief that he is able to talk to Mickey, the nephew whom he lost in the War, through radio static?
4. Based on the text in the twelfth chapter of the book, why does Frankie feel justified in treating Aunt Concetta's death as an uneventful occurrence in his life as well as that of Penny's?
5. According to the narrative in Chapter 14 of the book, what contributes toward Penny shedding tears and telling her Uncle Dominic that her life is all messed up?
6. Based on the text in Chapter 20 of the book, how has Penny's bedroom been changed when she returns home following her stay in the hospital?
7. According to the text in Chapter 17 of the book, what happens in relation to those who visit Penny as she continues her stay in the hospital?
8. According to the narrative in the twelfth chapter of the book, how does Frankie attempt to turn Aunt Concetta's wake into what he considers to be a fun event for himself?
9. Based on the text in the thirteenth chapter of the book, do any misunderstandings occur between Penny and her mother on her Penny's birthday?
10. According to the text in Chapter 16 of the book, how is Penny distracted to the point that she injures her arm while putting the laundry through the wringer of the washing machine in Nonny's basement?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)