|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Uncle Angelo get sick so often?
(a) Because he has been drinking.
(b) Because he is very sensitive to allergies.
(c) Because he likes to get attention from everyone.
(d) Because he has a chronic medical condition.
2. Who slaps Uncle Dominic across the face while Penny is recuperating at the hospital?
(b) Uncle Ralphie.
3. Which of the following is not among the gifts that Penny receives on her birthday?
(a) A comb and brush set.
(b) Black patent Mary Janes.
(c) A twenty-dollar bill.
(d) A fancy satin skirt.
4. What name does Penny choose for the black and white kitten that Pop-pop gives to her when she returns home from the hospital?
5. What had the judge told Frankie the last time that he had appeared before the bench?
(a) That he would try him, even if he were a juvenile.
(b) That he had a son who looked a lot like him (Frankie).
(c) That he needed to hire a lawyer.
(d) That he better not see him in court again.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stands up for Frankie by speaking on his behalf?
2. Who does Penny overhear talking about the young girl in her ward who is dying?
3. Whom of the following asks a nurse whether Penny's father was really a spy?
4. What month of the year is underway when Frankie asks Penny to go to the public pool with him?
5. Which of the following newspaper sections are read to Penny on while she is at the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in Chapter 15 of the book, what are some of the reasons that Penny should not join Frankie in going to the public pool?
2. Based on the text in Chapter 14 of the book, how does Frankie's problem with the church ultimately get resolved?
3. Based on the text in Chapter 20 of the book, how has Penny's bedroom been changed when she returns home following her stay in the hospital?
4. Based on the narrative in Chapter 14 of the book, why has Frankie decided to run to Penny's house and hide there?
5. Based on the text in the thirteenth chapter of the book, do any misunderstandings occur between Penny and her mother on her Penny's birthday?
6. Based on the narrative in the thirteenth chapter of the book, how is Penny's birthday observed by her father's side of the family?
7. According to the text in Chapter 17 of the book, what contributes to Penny's disappointment while she is in the hospital?
8. Based on the narrative in the twelfth chapter of the book, how does Penny show her support for Pop-pop's belief that he is able to talk to Mickey, the nephew whom he lost in the War, through radio static?
9. According to the text in Chapter 18, what happens to the eight-year-old female cancer patient after all the other children (with the exception of Penny) have been released from the hospital and gone home?
10. According to the narrative in Chapter 14 of the book, what contributes toward Penny shedding tears and telling her Uncle Dominic that her life is all messed up?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)