|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Me-me fix for Penny's twelfth birthday breakfast?
(a) Apple strudel and pork sausage.
(b) Porridge with strawberries.
(c) Ham and eggs.
(d) Banana pancakes.
2. Who does Penny overhear talking about the young girl in her ward who is dying?
(a) Some nurses.
(b) Some doctors.
(c) Some hospital lab workers.
(d) Some orderlies.
3. Why does Uncle Angelo get sick so often?
(a) Because he has a chronic medical condition.
(b) Because he has been drinking.
(c) Because he is very sensitive to allergies.
(d) Because he likes to get attention from everyone.
4. Which of the following United States military services does Mr. Mulligan tell Penny that he joined at one time?
(a) The Marines.
(b) The Army.
(c) The Air Force.
(d) The Navy.
5. Whom of the following asks a nurse whether Penny's father was really a spy?
(a) A man named Harvey.
(b) A man named Wade.
(c) A man named Winston.
(d) A man named Marvin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not among the gifts that Penny receives on her birthday?
2. Which of the following terms does Uncle Dominic use in referring to Ann Marie's husband?
3. What is the name of Pop-pop's deceased nephew whom he claims to be able to talk to through radio static?
4. Why does Penny become the most popular person in her ward after visiting hours?
5. What is the ailment that appears to be claiming the life of the young girl dying in Penny's ward?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in the twelfth chapter of the book, how does Uncle Dominic resolve the situations that Uncle Benny gets into as family members are attempting to make their way to and from Aunt Concetta's wake?
2. Based on the text in Chapter 18, what does Penny learn from Frankie in relation to Uncle Dominic's whereabouts during her stay in the hospital?
3. Based on the narrative in Chapter 14 of the book, why has Frankie decided to run to Penny's house and hide there?
4. According to the text in Chapter 20 of the book, do any pleasant things or occurrences take place in Penny's life upon her return from the hospital?
5. According to the text in Chapter 17 of the book, what happens in relation to those who visit Penny as she continues her stay in the hospital?
6. According to the narrative in Chapter 20 of the book, do any new beings enter Penny's life after she returns home from the hospital?
7. According to the text in Chapter 15 of the book, what are some of the reasons that Penny should not join Frankie in going to the public pool?
8. Based on the narrative in Chapter 19, how does Penny finally learn the truth about the circumstances that had surrounded her father's death?
9. According to the text in Chapter 16 of the book, how is Penny distracted to the point that she injures her arm while putting the laundry through the wringer of the washing machine in Nonny's basement?
10. According to the text in Chapter 17 of the book, what contributes to Penny's disappointment while she is in the hospital?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)