|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Penny do to Mr. Mulligan that upsets her mother?
(a) She tells him that he is not as good-looking as her father was.
(b) She tells him to be quiet so that she can hear the ball game.
(c) She ignores him.
(d) She laughs about the clothes that he is wearing.
2. What color is the apparel that Penny picks out for herself at her relative's clothing factory?
(d) Royal blue.
3. What type of action do Penny and her co-worker take against the dog that chases them down the road?
(a) They yell at the dog.
(b) They throw something at the dog.
(c) They report the dog to the dog catcher.
(d) They report the dog to a police officer on patrol.
4. What does Pop-pop ask Mr. Mulligan?
(a) What he appreciates the most about his job.
(b) How many times he has been married.
(c) Whether he plans to marry his daughter.
(d) What he dislikes the most about his job.
5. What does Penny attempt to lead Mr. Mulligan into believing about her mother?
(a) That she spends money extravagantly.
(b) That she really does not have any interest in him.
(c) That she really does not know how to cook.
(d) That her mother is abusive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was nicknamed "the Water Boy"?
2. Which of the following is an after dinner activity at Nonny's?
3. How old is the baby brother of Penny's co-worker?
4. Which of the following is the subject matter in which Penny and her co-workers find humor?
5. Where are Penny and her father in her dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the narrative in the first chapter of the book, how are Penny and her Uncle Dominic "different" from other baseball fans in their community?
2. Based on the narrative in Chapter 3 of the book, how do Penny and Frankie show their politeness to Mrs. Wiederhorn during their meat delivery stop at her house?
3. Based on the narrative at the beginning of Chapter 9, how does Penny's mother's relationship with Mr. Mulligan become more apparent to Penny upon her return home from Nonny's?
4. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5 of the book, what action by Penny's mother leads Penny to believe that her mother is now in a happier mood than Penny has ever known her to be?
5. Based on the focus upon it in the first chapter of the book, what type of lifestyle is that of Penny Falucci's?
6. According to the text in Chapters 7 and 8, what is discussed between Frankie and Penny while they are in the basement helping Nonny with the laundry?
7. According to the narrative in the sixth chapter of the book, can Sunday dinners at Penny's paternal grandmother's (Nonny's) house be described as being Italian-themed?
8. According to the text in Chapter 9 of the book, what contributes toward Penny storming out of the house on Saturday afternoon when Mr. Mulligan stops by to watch the ball game on television with her?
9. Based on the text in Chapter 10 of the book, how are some of the townspeople aware that Penny's late grandfather Falucci had buried cash somewhere on his property?
10. Based on the narrative in Chapter 4 of the book, how does Pop-pop painting all of the household furniture with black lacquer affect Penny?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)