|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nationality is that of Penny's father's family?
2. What state is the setting of the story?
(b) New York.
(c) New Jersey.
3. What is Penny's mother no longer wearing while she is preparing dinner for her family and Mr. Mulligan?
(a) Her wedding ring.
(b) Her charm bracelet.
(c) Her engagement ring.
(d) Her pearl necklace.
4. Which of the following causes Penny to awake from her dream?
(a) A leaky toilet.
(b) A blaring siren.
(c) A barking dog.
(d) A ringing alarm.
5. Specifically, what task will Penny be handling in her new job?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frankie want Uncle Dominic to teach him?
2. Who do Nonny and Uncle Paulie "talk to" regularly?
3. Which of the following has a large dog?
4. Who is Penny's mother laughing and talking with at the door when Penny awakens at the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. What color is Pop-pop painting all of the furniture?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the narrative in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, how does Frankie show real concern for his family when his father loses his job?
2. Based on the narrative in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Penny do that causes her mother to be disappointed with her?
3. Based on the narrative in the sixth chapter of the book, can Penny's paternal side of the family be labeled as small or large?
4. Based on the narrative in the first two chapters of the book, can Penny's Uncle Dominic be considered to be eccentric?
5. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5 of the book, what action by Penny's mother leads Penny to believe that her mother is now in a happier mood than Penny has ever known her to be?
6. According to the narrative in the sixth chapter of the book, why does Penny consider the toilet repair by her Uncle Dominic a better birthday present than the Fall coat that has been given to her by her Uncle Nunzio?
7. Based on the narrative in the first chapter of the book, how are Penny and her Uncle Dominic "different" from other baseball fans in their community?
8. Based on the narrative in Chapter 4 of the book, how does Pop-pop painting all of the household furniture with black lacquer affect Penny?
9. According to the narrative in the eleventh chapter of the book, what takes place before Penny receives her shiner from Veronica?
10. Based on the narrative in Chapter 9 of the book, how does Uncle Dominic try to guide Penny toward resolving her discontent when she runs from her house to him sobbing uncontrollably?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)