|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is the name of Penny's mother?
2. Why do Eleanor and Me-me leave the dining room during their dinner with Mr. Mulligan, Penny, and Pop-pop?
(a) To clean Mr. Mulligan's shoe.
(b) To check on something that was left cooking on the stove.
(c) To jointly carry a large special dessert from the kitchen.
(d) To talk about Mr. Mulligan.
3. What day of the week does Penny have dinner at Nonny's?
4. Which of the following is an after dinner activity at Nonny's?
5. What does Frankie want Uncle Dominic to teach him?
(a) How to repair cars.
(b) How to solve algebra problems.
(c) How to drive.
(d) How to trim bushes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is Penny's last name?
2. Which of the following is Penny struck by when her Uncle Dominic drives her home?
3. What decade is the setting for this story?
4. Which of the following baseball teams do Penny and her Uncle Dominic support?
5. Which of the following is the subject matter in which Penny and her co-workers find humor?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrative in the sixth chapter of the book, can Sunday dinners at Penny's paternal grandmother's (Nonny's) house be described as being Italian-themed?
2. According to the text in Chapter 3 of the book, how does a large dog interfere with Frankie and Penny's attempt to deliver meat to Mrs. Morelli?
3. According to the text in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Mr. Mulligan do to try to make a good impression on Penny's mother and her family when he stops by to have dinner with them?
4. Based on the narrative in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Penny do that causes her mother to be disappointed with her?
5. According to the text in the first couple of chapters in the book, why does Penny's maternal grandmother, Me-me, do most of the cooking for Penny and her mother?
6. Based on the text in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Penny's mother do to assure an ambiance of comfort in anticipation of Mr. Mulligan's visit to her home for dinner?
7. According to the text in Chapters 7 and 8, what is discussed between Frankie and Penny while they are in the basement helping Nonny with the laundry?
8. According to the narrative in the eleventh chapter of the book, what takes place before Penny receives her shiner from Veronica?
9. According to the narrative in the sixth chapter of the book, why does Penny consider the toilet repair by her Uncle Dominic a better birthday present than the Fall coat that has been given to her by her Uncle Nunzio?
10. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5 of the book, what action by Penny's mother leads Penny to believe that her mother is now in a happier mood than Penny has ever known her to be?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)