|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Penny attempt to lead Mr. Mulligan into believing about her mother?
(a) That she really does not know how to cook.
(b) That her mother is abusive.
(c) That she really does not have any interest in him.
(d) That she spends money extravagantly.
2. Which of Penny's relatives lives in a car?
(b) Uncle Ralphie.
(c) Uncle Dominic.
3. What was Penny's mother wearing in the photo behind which Penny's father wrote, "I am the luckiest fella ever"?
(a) A turtleneck sweater.
(b) A bathing suit.
(c) A fur coat.
(d) A bonnet.
4. Which of the following words is misspelled on the sign on the fence at Mrs. Morelli's house?
5. Who has offered Penny a job?
(a) Uncle Ralphie.
(c) Uncle Dominic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Traditionally, when does Penny's mom (Eleanor) cook?
2. Which of the following is Penny's last name?
3. Which of the following best reflects the time that Penny's mother returns home from her date?
4. What is the name of the lady who is a friend to Penny's mother?
5. How old is the baby brother of Penny's co-worker?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the narrative in the first two chapters of the book, can Penny's Uncle Dominic be considered to be eccentric?
2. Based on the narrative in Chapter 3 of the book, can it be said that Penny's Uncle Ralphie is more generous than her Aunt Fulvia?
3. Based on the narrative in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, how does Frankie show real concern for his family when his father loses his job?
4. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5 of the book, what action by Penny's mother leads Penny to believe that her mother is now in a happier mood than Penny has ever known her to be?
5. Based on the text of Chapter 7 in the book, are there any annual events that Penny will be enjoying in the very near future?
6. Based on the narrative at the beginning of Chapter 9, how does Penny's mother's relationship with Mr. Mulligan become more apparent to Penny upon her return home from Nonny's?
7. Based on the text in the sixth chapter of the book, in what way is Penny's paternal Uncle Nunzio generous to her?
8. Based on the text in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, do Pop-pop and Penny buy anything while they are out for a walk?
9. Based on the narrative in the sixth chapter of the book, can Penny's paternal side of the family be labeled as small or large?
10. According to the text in Chapter 3 of the book, are any signs visible signs of what may be spousal abuse that Frankie and Penny detect while making a delivery stop at Mrs. Giaquinto's house and speaking with her briefly?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)