|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Penny punch in the nose during the baseball game that she and Frankie are playing?
(b) Mr. Mulligan.
2. What does Penny do to Mr. Mulligan that upsets her mother?
(a) She laughs about the clothes that he is wearing.
(b) She tells him that he is not as good-looking as her father was.
(c) She ignores him.
(d) She tells him to be quiet so that she can hear the ball game.
3. What is Frankie lamenting in relation to Penny?
(a) That Penny lives a more interesting life than he does.
(b) That Penny does not spend enough time with him.
(c) That Penny appears to be shunning him.
(d) That she is a girl.
4. Which of the following items does Pop-pop pick up when he takes Penny out for a walk?
(d) Paper plates.
5. What type of action do Penny and her co-worker take against the dog that chases them down the road?
(a) They throw something at the dog.
(b) They yell at the dog.
(c) They report the dog to a police officer on patrol.
(d) They report the dog to the dog catcher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words is misspelled on the sign on the fence at Mrs. Morelli's house?
2. Which of Penny's relatives lives in a car?
3. Who does Penny help with the laundry?
4. What day of the week does Penny have dinner at Nonny's?
5. What type of animal does Penny's dog chase into the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5 of the book, what action by Penny's mother leads Penny to believe that her mother is now in a happier mood than Penny has ever known her to be?
2. Based on the narrative in the first two chapters of the book, can Penny's Uncle Dominic be considered to be eccentric?
3. Based on the narrative in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, how does Frankie show real concern for his family when his father loses his job?
4. Based on the narrative in Chapter 9 of the book, how does Uncle Dominic try to guide Penny toward resolving her discontent when she runs from her house to him sobbing uncontrollably?
5. According to the text in Chapter 3 of the book, are any signs visible signs of what may be spousal abuse that Frankie and Penny detect while making a delivery stop at Mrs. Giaquinto's house and speaking with her briefly?
6. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5, does Penny have to endure any unwanted physical misfortunes as a result of Pop-pop painting the household furniture with black lacquer?
7. Based on the text of Chapters 4 and 5 of the book, how does Me-me try to fix Penny's black lacquer-related hair problems?
8. According to the narrative in the sixth chapter of the book, can Sunday dinners at Penny's paternal grandmother's (Nonny's) house be described as being Italian-themed?
9. Based on the narrative in the first chapter of the book, how are Penny and her Uncle Dominic "different" from other baseball fans in their community?
10. Based on the narrative in the sixth chapter of the book, can Penny's paternal side of the family be labeled as small or large?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)