|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Penny attempt to lead Mr. Mulligan into believing about her mother?
(a) That she really does not know how to cook.
(b) That she really does not have any interest in him.
(c) That her mother is abusive.
(d) That she spends money extravagantly.
2. How old is the baby brother of Penny's co-worker?
(a) One year old.
(b) Six months old.
(c) Three weeks old.
(d) Two months old.
3. Which of the following is the subject matter in which Penny and her co-workers find humor?
4. What does Frankie offer to do for Uncle Paulie?
(a) Wash his car.
(b) Paint his fence.
(c) Sweep his roof.
(d) Yard work.
5. What is the fight that Penny gets in at the ball field based upon?
(a) Uncle Dominic being referred to as being crazy.
(b) A boy who Penny has a crush on.
(c) A call made by the umpire.
(d) Penny's hair being pulled.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Mulligan do at the end of his date with Penny's mother (Eleanor) that disappoints Penny?
2. Who was nicknamed "the Water Boy"?
3. Which of Penny's birthdays is coming up?
4. Which of the following causes Penny to awake from her dream?
5. What type of action do Penny and her co-worker take against the dog that chases them down the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the narrative at the beginning of Chapter 9, how does Penny's mother's relationship with Mr. Mulligan become more apparent to Penny upon her return home from Nonny's?
2. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5 of the book, what action by Penny's mother leads Penny to believe that her mother is now in a happier mood than Penny has ever known her to be?
3. Based on the text in Chapter 10 of the book, how are some of the townspeople aware that Penny's late grandfather Falucci had buried cash somewhere on his property?
4. According to the text in the first couple of chapters in the book, why does Penny's maternal grandmother, Me-me, do most of the cooking for Penny and her mother?
5. According to the text in Chapter 3 of the book, are any signs visible signs of what may be spousal abuse that Frankie and Penny detect while making a delivery stop at Mrs. Giaquinto's house and speaking with her briefly?
6. Based on the narrative in Chapter 3 of the book, how do Penny and Frankie show their politeness to Mrs. Wiederhorn during their meat delivery stop at her house?
7. Based on the narrative in Chapter 3 of the book, can it be said that Penny's Uncle Ralphie is more generous than her Aunt Fulvia?
8. According to the text in Chapter 9 of the book, what contributes toward Penny storming out of the house on Saturday afternoon when Mr. Mulligan stops by to watch the ball game on television with her?
9. Based on the text in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Penny's mother do to assure an ambiance of comfort in anticipation of Mr. Mulligan's visit to her home for dinner?
10. Based on the narrative in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, how does Frankie show real concern for his family when his father loses his job?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)