|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following causes Penny to awake from her dream?
(a) A leaky toilet.
(b) A barking dog.
(c) A blaring siren.
(d) A ringing alarm.
2. What does Pop-pop ask Mr. Mulligan?
(a) How many times he has been married.
(b) Whether he plans to marry his daughter.
(c) What he appreciates the most about his job.
(d) What he dislikes the most about his job.
3. What does Penny's mother do for a living?
(a) She is a school teacher.
(b) She is a secretary for a trucking company.
(c) She is a postal carrier.
(d) She is a nurse in a doctor's office.
4. What does Frankie offer to do for Uncle Paulie?
(a) Yard work.
(b) Wash his car.
(c) Paint his fence.
(d) Sweep his roof.
5. Why do Eleanor and Me-me leave the dining room during their dinner with Mr. Mulligan, Penny, and Pop-pop?
(a) To jointly carry a large special dessert from the kitchen.
(b) To clean Mr. Mulligan's shoe.
(c) To talk about Mr. Mulligan.
(d) To check on something that was left cooking on the stove.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has offered Penny a job?
2. Where are Penny and her father in her dream?
3. What is the name of the lady who is a friend to Penny's mother?
4. Which of the following would best describe Garboella?
5. Traditionally, when does Penny's mom (Eleanor) cook?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in Chapter 9 of the book, what contributes toward Penny storming out of the house on Saturday afternoon when Mr. Mulligan stops by to watch the ball game on television with her?
2. According to the narrative in Chapter 17 of the book, how do Penny's relatives make her feel special while she is in the hospital?
3. Based on the narrative in Chapter 15 of the book, what contributes to Penny spending a perfect day with Uncle Dominic some time after she is grounded for having disobeyed Me-me's order of not going to the public pool with Frankie?
4. According to the narrative in the twelfth chapter of the book, how does Frankie attempt to turn Aunt Concetta's wake into what he considers to be a fun event for himself?
5. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5 of the book, what action by Penny's mother leads Penny to believe that her mother is now in a happier mood than Penny has ever known her to be?
6. Based on the narrative in the first chapter of the book, how are Penny and her Uncle Dominic "different" from other baseball fans in their community?
7. Based on the text in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, do Pop-pop and Penny buy anything while they are out for a walk?
8. According to the text in Chapter 20 of the book, do any pleasant things or occurrences take place in Penny's life upon her return from the hospital?
9. According to the text in Chapter 17 of the book, what happens in relation to those who visit Penny as she continues her stay in the hospital?
10. Based on the narrative in Chapter 14 of the book, why has Frankie decided to run to Penny's house and hide there?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)