|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the apparel that Penny picks out for herself at her relative's clothing factory?
(c) Royal blue.
2. Which of the following causes Penny to awake from her dream?
(a) A blaring siren.
(b) A ringing alarm.
(c) A barking dog.
(d) A leaky toilet.
3. Which dress does Penny choose for her Aunt Gina to wear to her dancing session?
(a) The purple one.
(b) The blue one.
(c) The red one.
(d) The yellow one.
4. What does Mr. Mulligan do at the end of his date with Penny's mother (Eleanor) that disappoints Penny?
(a) He kisses her mother on the lips.
(b) He keeps his voice low, and Penny cannot hear what he is saying.
(c) He does not open the car door for her mother.
(d) He lingers too long.
5. What happens when Penny tries to stop the dog from chasing the animal inside the house?
(a) Penny trips and lands on top of the sofa.
(b) A chair is flipped over.
(c) Penny falls head first into a can of paint.
(d) The china on top of the table is toppled and broken.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Penny find under her mother's bed?
2. Where does Penny end up going when she visits her father's side of the family?
3. Who does Penny run to for comfort following her confrontation with her mother concerning Mr. Mulligan?
4. What type of action do Penny and her co-worker take against the dog that chases them down the road?
5. Who does Penny punch in the nose during the baseball game that she and Frankie are playing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the text in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, do Pop-pop and Penny buy anything while they are out for a walk?
2. Based on the narrative in Chapter 3 of the book, can it be said that Penny's Uncle Ralphie is more generous than her Aunt Fulvia?
3. Based on the narrative in the first two chapters of the book, can Penny's Uncle Dominic be considered to be eccentric?
4. According to the narrative in the sixth chapter of the book, can Sunday dinners at Penny's paternal grandmother's (Nonny's) house be described as being Italian-themed?
5. Based on the narrative in Chapter 3 of the book, how do Penny and Frankie show their politeness to Mrs. Wiederhorn during their meat delivery stop at her house?
6. According to the text in the first couple of chapters in the book, why does Penny's maternal grandmother, Me-me, do most of the cooking for Penny and her mother?
7. Based on the focus upon it in the first chapter of the book, what type of lifestyle is that of Penny Falucci's?
8. According to the text in Chapter 9 of the book, what contributes toward Penny storming out of the house on Saturday afternoon when Mr. Mulligan stops by to watch the ball game on television with her?
9. Based on the narrative in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, how does Frankie show real concern for his family when his father loses his job?
10. Based on the narrative in Chapter 9 of the book, how does Uncle Dominic try to guide Penny toward resolving her discontent when she runs from her house to him sobbing uncontrollably?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)