|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Penny select for her mother from her relative's clothing store?
(a) A fox stole.
(b) A tent dress.
(c) A mink stole.
(d) A winter coat.
2. What types of vegetables are served as part of the dinner with Mr. Mulligan?
(a) Peas and onions.
(b) Carrots and green beans.
(c) Peas and lima beans.
(d) Spinach and carrots.
3. What does Penny's mother do for a living?
(a) She is a postal carrier.
(b) She is a nurse in a doctor's office.
(c) She is a secretary for a trucking company.
(d) She is a school teacher.
4. What happens when Penny tries to stop the dog from chasing the animal inside the house?
(a) The china on top of the table is toppled and broken.
(b) A chair is flipped over.
(c) Penny falls head first into a can of paint.
(d) Penny trips and lands on top of the sofa.
5. What is Penny's mother no longer wearing while she is preparing dinner for her family and Mr. Mulligan?
(a) Her engagement ring.
(b) Her pearl necklace.
(c) Her wedding ring.
(d) Her charm bracelet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Nonny and Uncle Paulie "talk to" regularly?
2. What does Penny's mother ask her to do as she gets ready to go out to dinner?
3. Which of the following is the name of Penny's mother?
4. Which of the following is Penny's last name?
5. Where is Aunt Gina planning to go dancing?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in Chapter 17 of the book, what contributes to Penny's disappointment while she is in the hospital?
2. According to the narrative in the twelfth chapter of the book, how does Frankie attempt to turn Aunt Concetta's wake into what he considers to be a fun event for himself?
3. Based on the narrative in Chapter 22 of the book, how has the alienation between Penny's mother and Penny's paternal side of the family occurred?
4. According to the narrative in Chapter 19, what contributes to Penny changing her attitude toward Mr. Mulligan change while she is in the hospital?
5. Based on the narrative at the beginning of Chapter 9, how does Penny's mother's relationship with Mr. Mulligan become more apparent to Penny upon her return home from Nonny's?
6. According to the text in Chapter 17 of the book, what happens in relation to those who visit Penny as she continues her stay in the hospital?
7. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5, does Penny have to endure any unwanted physical misfortunes as a result of Pop-pop painting the household furniture with black lacquer?
8. According to the narrative in the thirteenth chapter of the book, what types of items is Penny gifted with on her birthday that may help enhance her appearance?
9. According to the text in Chapter 20 of the book, do any pleasant things or occurrences take place in Penny's life upon her return from the hospital?
10. According to the narrative in Chapter 21 of the book, how does Penny arrive at the conclusion that it will be alright for Mr. Mulligan to marry her mother?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)