|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Frankie lamenting in relation to Penny?
(a) That Penny lives a more interesting life than he does.
(b) That Penny appears to be shunning him.
(c) That she is a girl.
(d) That Penny does not spend enough time with him.
2. What does Penny select for her mother from her relative's clothing store?
(a) A mink stole.
(b) A fox stole.
(c) A tent dress.
(d) A winter coat.
3. Where do Penny and Pop-pop enjoy a hamburger and a sundae?
(a) At the Sweet Shoppe.
(b) At the local drive-inn.
(c) At the local grill.
(d) At the 24-Hour Diner.
4. What does Mr. Mulligan give to Me-me, Penny, and her mother, Eleanor when he pays them a visit?
(a) A bouquet of flowers.
(b) A box of candy.
(c) A book of poetry.
(d) A group photo of themselves.
5. Whose house grounds were supposed to be stashed with money?
(a) Uncle Ralphie's.
(b) Aunt Gina's.
(c) Grandfather Falucci's.
(d) Uncle Salvatore's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Penny punch in the nose during the baseball game that she and Frankie are playing?
2. What does Penny's mother ask her to do as she gets ready to go out to dinner?
3. What nationality is that of Penny's father's family?
4. Where are Penny and her father in her dream?
5. Traditionally, when does Penny's mom (Eleanor) cook?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5, does Penny have to endure any unwanted physical misfortunes as a result of Pop-pop painting the household furniture with black lacquer?
2. According to the narrative in the eleventh chapter of the book, what takes place before Penny receives her shiner from Veronica?
3. Based on the narrative in the first chapter of the book, how are Penny and her Uncle Dominic "different" from other baseball fans in their community?
4. Based on the narrative in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, how does Frankie show real concern for his family when his father loses his job?
5. Based on the focus upon it in the first chapter of the book, what type of lifestyle is that of Penny Falucci's?
6. According to the text in Chapter 3 of the book, are any signs visible signs of what may be spousal abuse that Frankie and Penny detect while making a delivery stop at Mrs. Giaquinto's house and speaking with her briefly?
7. According to the narrative in the sixth chapter of the book, why does Penny consider the toilet repair by her Uncle Dominic a better birthday present than the Fall coat that has been given to her by her Uncle Nunzio?
8. Based on the narrative at the beginning of Chapter 9, how does Penny's mother's relationship with Mr. Mulligan become more apparent to Penny upon her return home from Nonny's?
9. Based on the text in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, do Pop-pop and Penny buy anything while they are out for a walk?
10. According to the text in Chapters 7 and 8, what is discussed between Frankie and Penny while they are in the basement helping Nonny with the laundry?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)