|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Penny do to Mr. Mulligan that upsets her mother?
(a) She tells him that he is not as good-looking as her father was.
(b) She ignores him.
(c) She laughs about the clothes that he is wearing.
(d) She tells him to be quiet so that she can hear the ball game.
2. Who do Nonny and Uncle Paulie "talk to" regularly?
3. What types of vegetables are served as part of the dinner with Mr. Mulligan?
(a) Peas and onions.
(b) Spinach and carrots.
(c) Carrots and green beans.
(d) Peas and lima beans.
4. Who is Carolina?
(a) Penny's next door neighbor.
(b) Uncle Nunzio's secretary.
(c) Frankie's mother.
(d) Uncle Dominic's girlfriend.
5. What does Penny's mother ask her to do as she gets ready to go out to dinner?
(a) To lay out her school clothes to wear the next day.
(b) To help Me-me with the chores.
(c) To listen to a classical music program on the radio.
(d) To do her homework.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is going to work alongside Penny as she handles her job?
2. What is the primary language that Penny's uncles speak?
3. What does Penny pay for with earnings from her job?
4. What day of the week does Penny have dinner at Nonny's?
5. What does Penny attempt to lead Mr. Mulligan into believing about her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the narrative in the first two chapters of the book, can Penny's Uncle Dominic be considered to be eccentric?
2. According to the text in Chapters 4 and 5, does Penny have to endure any unwanted physical misfortunes as a result of Pop-pop painting the household furniture with black lacquer?
3. Based on the text in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, do Pop-pop and Penny buy anything while they are out for a walk?
4. Based on the narrative in Chapter 3 of the book, can it be said that Penny's Uncle Ralphie is more generous than her Aunt Fulvia?
5. According to the text in Chapter 3 of the book, how does a large dog interfere with Frankie and Penny's attempt to deliver meat to Mrs. Morelli?
6. Based on the text in the sixth chapter of the book, in what way is Penny's paternal Uncle Nunzio generous to her?
7. Based on the narrative in the eleventh chapter of the book, what does Penny do that causes her mother to be disappointed with her?
8. Based on the narrative in Chapters 7 and 8 of the book, how does Frankie show real concern for his family when his father loses his job?
9. According to the narrative in the eleventh chapter of the book, what takes place before Penny receives her shiner from Veronica?
10. Based on the narrative in Chapter 9 of the book, how does Uncle Dominic try to guide Penny toward resolving her discontent when she runs from her house to him sobbing uncontrollably?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)