|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bartolomé want Susana to find in the grave?
2. What is Justina doing as Susana talks to her?
3. Who is the first person in line at confession in Comala?
4. What does Abundio want from don Pedro?
5. What are the people who come from Apango doing in Comala?
Essay Topic 1
Eduviges tells Juan that the secret of redemption is to die "when you want to" or else to force God "to take you before your time".
- Why do you think she says this?
- Much of the plot is developed through the stories of the dead. Why do you think Rulfo has ghosts tell the stories? What can we learn from the past? How does this relate to Eduviges' advice?
Essay Topic 2
Don Pedro and Father Rentería are two different examples of characters dealing with the consequences of their actions. Don Pedro seems to live a guiltless life without regret, while Father Rentería is consumed by guilt. Compare and contrast the two characters based on the following:
- What actions in their lives most affect the two characters?
- How do they deal with the consequences of their actions
- Who do you think is the more sympathetic of the characters? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why you think "Pedro Páramo" is an example of Magical Realism. Using specific examples of the text, address the following themes:
- Use of the supernatural
- Realistic aspects
- Extraordinary occurring at the same time as the ordinary
Explain why you think Rulfo uses this style to tell his story. What does the Magical Realism genre allow him to do as an author?
This section contains 1,740 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)