|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Susana tell Justina she can't leave?
2. What does Susana's mother always say?
3. In what town is don Lucas, don Pedro's father, killed?
4. Who is the first person in line at confession in Comala?
5. Who do the women in the town see going to Media Luna?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Justina tell Susana she is going to tell don Pedro when he comes?
2. Why is Fulgor Sedano happy about the rain?
3. Why does Susana think Father Rentería has come to see her?
4. Explain Bartolomé's relationship with Susana.
5. What does Father Rentería describe to Susana as she lay dying?
6. Why don't the men of Comala come to the marketplace?
7. Why does Dorotea say she is no longer interested in the sky?
8. What frustrates don Pedro about Susana?
9. What happens during Father Rentería's confession?
10. Why doesn't don Pedro's lawyer continue holding his papers after he leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rulfo uses the historical context of the 1910-1920 Mexican Civil War to frame his novel. Based on what you learn about the Revolution and on your reading of the novel, do you think this revolution is a true revolution of the peasants or is it based on other less lofty ideals? Explain Pedro's, El Tilcuate's and Father Rentería's role in the Revolution. What does each of their roles in the Revolution reveal about their character?
Essay Topic 2
The weather is a major part of how Rulfo develops his narrative. Find at least three examples from the novel where the weather, specifically the rain, heat, and wind, builds up the narrative tension in the story. What emotions do the weather conditions reflect or symbolize? How does the weather mirror what is going on with the plot?
Essay Topic 3
The Roman Catholic religion, as embodied by Father Rentería, is critiqued throughout the novel. What is the role of religion in the lives of the people of Comala? Does it provide a solace or is it more based on fear of damnation? Which characters are most affected by their faith? What characters are affected the least? Explain how Father Rentería is seen as both a positive and negative symbol of church. Use specific examples from the text.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)