|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does don Pedro do to memorialize Susana's death?
2. After learning what has happened to Miguel, what does don Pedro order to be done?
3. What happens to Miguel's mother?
4. What does Dorotea say Susana does, "even when she is alive"?
5. What does Justina buy in the marketplace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Abundio's wife get last rites?
2. What does Justina tell Susana she is going to tell don Pedro when he comes?
3. What does Father Rentería describe to Susana as she lay dying?
4. Why doesn't don Pedro's lawyer continue holding his papers after he leaves?
5. How does Fulgor compare Miguel to don Pedro?
6. What deal does don Pedro make with Susana's father?
7. Why does Father Rentería feel guilty about Miguel's crimes?
8. What frustrates don Pedro about Susana?
9. Why is Fulgor Sedano happy about the rain?
10. How does don Pedro deal with the news of Miguel's crimes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Pedro Páramo" has several structural elements that appear often in Modernist and Surrealist literature. Explain how the novel uses the following:
- Circular narrative
- Stories within stories
- Setting shifts
How do each of these contribute to the development of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Susana's character is revealed to the reader almost entirely through her memories and delusions as heard from her grave. Give examples of the ways in which she is revealed to be losing her mind. Do you think her madness is a protective mechanism against the forces around her or an escape from them? How does Susana's behavior affect those around her, including Father Rentería, Justina, and Pedro? Do you think that Susana is a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
As Juan Preciado explains when he realizes that he is being haunted, "I don't know. I see things and people where you may not see anything." The people of Comala are literally being haunted by the ghosts of the dead, but the novel also shows how the characters are figuratively haunted by memories of their past, by their regrets and by the actions of other. Select at least three of the following characters and explain what memories they are haunted by:
- Father Rentería
- Donis' sister
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)