|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person in line at confession in Comala?
2. What is all that Susana wants of Florencio after his death?
3. In what month does Susana die?
4. Who comes to comfort Susana after she learns of her father's death?
5. How long does don Pedro wait for Susana's return?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about Susana's reaction to her mother's death?
2. Why is Villalpando in such a bad mood?
3. How does don Pedro avenge his father's death?
4. Why do Angeles and Fausta think Susana doesn't need confess her sins?
5. What does Justina tell Susana she is going to tell don Pedro when he comes?
6. How does Fulgor compare Miguel to don Pedro?
7. Why does don Pedro want Susana's father to disappear in the mines?
8. What happens during Father Rentería's confession?
9. Why does Dorotea say she is no longer interested in the sky?
10. What deal does don Pedro make with Susana's father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The weather is a major part of how Rulfo develops his narrative. Find at least three examples from the novel where the weather, specifically the rain, heat, and wind, builds up the narrative tension in the story. What emotions do the weather conditions reflect or symbolize? How does the weather mirror what is going on with the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why you think "Pedro Páramo" is an example of Magical Realism. Using specific examples of the text, address the following themes:
- Use of the supernatural
- Realistic aspects
- Extraordinary occurring at the same time as the ordinary
Explain why you think Rulfo uses this style to tell his story. What does the Magical Realism genre allow him to do as an author?
Essay Topic 3
Susana represents two sides of our natures: the physical and the spiritual, the body versus the soul. Susana rejects the spiritual realm and instead revels in sensual, corporeal pleasures and sensations. Give at least three examples of the text where Susana remembers a physical, bodily experience. How does her nature affect her fate? Do you think her sensual nature is at all to blame for the nature of her relationship with Pedro? Why or why not?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)