|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Susana want Justina to leave?
2. In what month does Susana die?
3. What happens right before don Pedro's death that finally empties the town of men?
4. Who does don Pedro consider the leader of the revolutionaries?
5. What sin does Father Rentería's first penitent of the day confess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes that runs through the novel is the nature of redemption and hope in a person's life. Select one of the following characters and explain what gives them hope during their lives:
Address how (or if) they are able to find any sort of redemption in the afterlife. How do you know this from the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Juan's descent into Comala is like an ascension into hell. Later the reader learns that Comala's dead remain in the town as a purgatory. Select three of the following characters and explain why their ghosts are stuck in Comala:
Address how each of their stories help the reader learn more about Pedro and his life.
Essay Topic 3
Eduviges tells Juan that the secret of redemption is to die "when you want to" or else to force God "to take you before your time".
- Why do you think she says this?
- Much of the plot is developed through the stories of the dead. Why do you think Rulfo has ghosts tell the stories? What can we learn from the past? How does this relate to Eduviges' advice?
This section contains 1,765 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)