Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorotea say Susana does, "even when she is alive"?
2. What is the name of don Pedro's lawyer?
3. What is in the mine where Bartolomé sends Susana?
4. Where does Father Rentería go on his walk after Miguel's death?
5. What does Dorotea tell Juan she sees?
The point of view in the novel changes often from 1st person narration to third person. Find at least one example each of first person narration and third person narration and explain how it shifts the reader's attention to the character and plot. Make sure you indicate who the narrator is in the first person example. In the first person example, what does the reader know (or suspect) that the narrator does not?
One of the themes that runs through the novel is the nature of redemption and hope in a person's life. Select one of the following characters and explain what gives them hope during their lives:
Address how (or if) they are able to find any sort of redemption in the afterlife. How do you know this from the novel?
Dolores is a conflicted character. Originally she is in love with Pedro and excited to learn he wants to marry her, but she soon becomes disenchanted with her life with him.
- What causes Dolores' change of heart?
- Dolores tells Juan not to ask his father for anything, but also to make him pay. Explain what you think she means by this. What do you think Dolores actually wants Juan to do? Using examples from the text explain why you think this.
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)