|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Susana tell Justina that she believes in?
2. Why does Father Rentería scold his first penitent of the day?
3. What does Damiana hear that reminds her of the Devil?
4. When Father Rentería returns from his walk, who does he learn is waiting for him?
5. What do the women in the town notice about Susana's window?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't don Pedro's lawyer continue holding his papers after he leaves?
2. What frustrates don Pedro about Susana?
3. What is unusual about Susana's reaction to her mother's death?
4. What does Justina tell Susana she is going to tell don Pedro when he comes?
5. Why don't the men of Comala come to the marketplace?
6. What does Gerardo's wife tell him before he visits don Pedro?
7. Why does Susana reject Father Rentería in her last living moments?
8. Why doesn't Abundio's wife get last rites?
9. Why does Susana think Father Rentería has come to see her?
10. Describe the memory Susana has in the grave that Juan and Dorotea overhear.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Juan's descent into Comala is like an ascension into hell. Later the reader learns that Comala's dead remain in the town as a purgatory. Select three of the following characters and explain why their ghosts are stuck in Comala:
Address how each of their stories help the reader learn more about Pedro and his life.
Essay Topic 2
The women in the novel are very vulnerable characters who often are at the mercy of evil, controlling men. Select at least three of the following characters and analyze their place in the context of the novel:
- Donis' sister
Addressing the following questions:
- How does the character react to her fate?
- How is the character motivated by factors related to her gender?
- How do other characters treat her?
- Overall, do you think women are totally powerless in the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
As Juan Preciado explains when he realizes that he is being haunted, "I don't know. I see things and people where you may not see anything." The people of Comala are literally being haunted by the ghosts of the dead, but the novel also shows how the characters are figuratively haunted by memories of their past, by their regrets and by the actions of other. Select at least three of the following characters and explain what memories they are haunted by:
- Father Rentería
- Donis' sister
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)