|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month does Susana's mother die in?
2. What are the only fruits that Father Rentería has been able to grow?
3. What does don Pedro do to the man who remembers don Pedro's death from his grave?
4. What is don Pedro going to do with his papers since his lawyer won't take them?
5. After learning what has happened to Miguel, what does don Pedro order to be done?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the revolutionaries come to don Pedro's house?
2. Why does don Pedro want Susana's father to disappear in the mines?
3. What happens during Father Rentería's confession?
4. Why does Susana reject Father Rentería in her last living moments?
5. Why doesn't Abundio's wife get last rites?
6. Why does Dorotea say she is no longer interested in the sky?
7. What is the mission of the revolutionaries?
8. What does Justina tell Susana she is going to tell don Pedro when he comes?
9. How does Fulgor compare Miguel to don Pedro?
10. Why do Angeles and Fausta think Susana doesn't need confess her sins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes that runs through the novel is the nature of redemption and hope in a person's life. Select one of the following characters and explain what gives them hope during their lives:
Address how (or if) they are able to find any sort of redemption in the afterlife. How do you know this from the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Sorrow is seen as an omnipresent and necessary part of life in Comala. Explain the characters' experience of sorrow in each of the following examples:
- Susana's mourning of Florencio
- Dorotea's sorrow over her unborn child
- Pedro's mourning over Susana
- Abundio's mourning over his wife
What are the consequences of each of these losses? How does the sorrow affect the lives of the ones left living? Would you agree that sorrow is necessary in life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Dolores is a conflicted character. Originally she is in love with Pedro and excited to learn he wants to marry her, but she soon becomes disenchanted with her life with him.
- What causes Dolores' change of heart?
- Dolores tells Juan not to ask his father for anything, but also to make him pay. Explain what you think she means by this. What do you think Dolores actually wants Juan to do? Using examples from the text explain why you think this.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)