|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Father Rentería scold his first penitent of the day?
2. What does don Pedro initially think that happens to his son?
3. What are the people who come from Apango doing in Comala?
4. What month does Susana's mother die in?
5. What sin does Father Rentería's first penitent of the day confess?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mission of the revolutionaries?
2. Describe the night Susana learns of Florencio's death.
3. How does Fulgor compare Miguel to don Pedro?
4. What does doña Inés want Abundio to tell his dead wife?
5. Explain Bartolomé's relationship with Susana.
6. Why doesn't don Pedro's lawyer continue holding his papers after he leaves?
7. Why is Villalpando in such a bad mood?
8. What does Gerardo's wife tell him before he visits don Pedro?
9. When the reader first hears Susana's narrative, where does she think she is?
10. Why is Fulgor Sedano happy about the rain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why you think "Pedro Páramo" is an example of Magical Realism. Using specific examples of the text, address the following themes:
- Use of the supernatural
- Realistic aspects
- Extraordinary occurring at the same time as the ordinary
Explain why you think Rulfo uses this style to tell his story. What does the Magical Realism genre allow him to do as an author?
Essay Topic 2
The weather is a major part of how Rulfo develops his narrative. Find at least three examples from the novel where the weather, specifically the rain, heat, and wind, builds up the narrative tension in the story. What emotions do the weather conditions reflect or symbolize? How does the weather mirror what is going on with the plot?
Essay Topic 3
The Roman Catholic religion, as embodied by Father Rentería, is critiqued throughout the novel. What is the role of religion in the lives of the people of Comala? Does it provide a solace or is it more based on fear of damnation? Which characters are most affected by their faith? What characters are affected the least? Explain how Father Rentería is seen as both a positive and negative symbol of church. Use specific examples from the text.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)