|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorotea say Susana does, "even when she is alive"?
2. What is the name of don Pedro's lawyer?
3. What is in the mine where Bartolomé sends Susana?
4. Where does Father Rentería go on his walk after Miguel's death?
5. What does Dorotea tell Juan she sees?
Essay Topic 1
Explain why you think "Pedro Páramo" is an example of Magical Realism. Using specific examples of the text, address the following themes:
- Use of the supernatural
- Realistic aspects
- Extraordinary occurring at the same time as the ordinary
Explain why you think Rulfo uses this style to tell his story. What does the Magical Realism genre allow him to do as an author?
Essay Topic 2
As Juan Preciado explains when he realizes that he is being haunted, "I don't know. I see things and people where you may not see anything." The people of Comala are literally being haunted by the ghosts of the dead, but the novel also shows how the characters are figuratively haunted by memories of their past, by their regrets and by the actions of other. Select at least three of the following characters and explain what memories they are haunted by:
- Father Rentería
- Donis' sister
Essay Topic 3
The women in the novel are very vulnerable characters who often are at the mercy of evil, controlling men. Select at least three of the following characters and analyze their place in the context of the novel:
- Donis' sister
Addressing the following questions:
- How does the character react to her fate?
- How is the character motivated by factors related to her gender?
- How do other characters treat her?
- Overall, do you think women are totally powerless in the novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,742 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)