|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eduviges feel she must take care of Juan?
2. Where is Doña Eduviges' house located?
3. What does Juan carry in his pocket to remind him of his mother?
4. What makes Ana believe it is Miguel Páramo who rapes her?
5. Why does Dolores try to delay her wedding to Pedro?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the burro driver tell Juan about how don Pedro treats women?
2. Describe the road to Comala.
3. How does the woman explain her sin during confession?
4. Why are the two women that Juan encounters in the street worried?
5. What clues are you given as to the boy's family's financial situation?
6. Describe the encounter between Father Rentería and María Dyada after Eduviges' death.
7. Why does Juan's mother hate having her picture taken?
8. Why is the priest reluctant to marry don Pedro and Dolores?
9. What are the two men who Juan hears in the street discussing?
10. Why does María Dyada believe that her sister Eduviges is worthy of redemption?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dolores is a conflicted character. Originally she is in love with Pedro and excited to learn he wants to marry her, but she soon becomes disenchanted with her life with him.
- What causes Dolores' change of heart?
- Dolores tells Juan not to ask his father for anything, but also to make him pay. Explain what you think she means by this. What do you think Dolores actually wants Juan to do? Using examples from the text explain why you think this.
Essay Topic 2
The Roman Catholic religion, as embodied by Father Rentería, is critiqued throughout the novel. What is the role of religion in the lives of the people of Comala? Does it provide a solace or is it more based on fear of damnation? Which characters are most affected by their faith? What characters are affected the least? Explain how Father Rentería is seen as both a positive and negative symbol of church. Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The weather is a major part of how Rulfo develops his narrative. Find at least three examples from the novel where the weather, specifically the rain, heat, and wind, builds up the narrative tension in the story. What emotions do the weather conditions reflect or symbolize? How does the weather mirror what is going on with the plot?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)