|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Juan the day before he gets to Comala?
2. Who does Chona's lover say he runs off with instead?
3. What does the medal around Eduviges' neck say?
4. What is unusual about the man and woman that Juan meets in the ramshackle house?
5. Who tells Eduviges that Juan is coming to town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Fulgor end up working with don Pedro even after don Lucas' death?
2. What does the woman tell Juan about nights in Comala?
3. Describe the road to Comala.
4. How is Comala different from how Juan's mother describes it?
5. What does the woman tell Juan about the roads leaving from Comala?
6. What clues are you given as to the boy's family's financial situation?
7. Describe the memory Pedro has of Susana as he sits in the privy.
8. What does Damiana tell Juan about Comala?
9. Why does Juan's mother hate having her picture taken?
10. Why is Father Rentería conflicted after Miguel's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Susana's character is revealed to the reader almost entirely through her memories and delusions as heard from her grave. Give examples of the ways in which she is revealed to be losing her mind. Do you think her madness is a protective mechanism against the forces around her or an escape from them? How does Susana's behavior affect those around her, including Father Rentería, Justina, and Pedro? Do you think that Susana is a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
"Pedro Páramo" has several structural elements that appear often in Modernist and Surrealist literature. Explain how the novel uses the following:
- Circular narrative
- Stories within stories
- Setting shifts
How do each of these contribute to the development of the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Don Pedro is a complex character. When the reader is introduced to him as a young boy, he is dreamy, innocent, and consumed with love for Susana. Over time, however, we see Pedro commit evil acts without regards to the feeling of others. Based on what you know about tragic heroes,do consider Pedro a tragic figure? Why or why not? Use specific examples from the text and compose an essay addressing the following aspects of his character:
- How do Pedro's emotions affect his actions?
- How do Fulgor's dealings with Pedro show the dual nature of Pedro's character?
- How does Pedro's reactions to Toribio and El Tilucate reveal his dual nature?
- What do you think is behind his unethical behavior? Why does he do the things that he does?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)