|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Abundio's main job in Comala?
2. How does Dolores say she will tell her sister about her upcoming wedding?
3. What makes Ana believe it is Miguel Páramo who rapes her?
4. What does Father Rentería do in order to help himself go to sleep?
5. Who is the old woman that comes into the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eduviges and Dolorita promise to die together?
2. Describe the road to Comala.
3. Why are the two women that Juan encounters in the street worried?
4. Why does Juan's mother hate having her picture taken?
5. Why is the priest reluctant to marry don Pedro and Dolores?
6. Why does María Dyada believe that her sister Eduviges is worthy of redemption?
7. What does the woman tell Juan about the roads leaving from Comala?
8. What clues are you given as to the boy's family's financial situation?
9. What does the burro driver tell Juan about how don Pedro treats women?
10. What does Juan Preciado hope to accomplish by finding his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pedro has very different relationships with the three sons that we meet in the novel: Juan, Abundio, and Miguel. Compare and contrast his relationship with his three sons. Address the following:
- Legitimate versus illegitimate status
- Are his sons good or evil?
- How has being the son of Pedro Páramo affected each son's life for better or worse?
After comparing and contrasting the relationship Pedro has with his three sons, explain whether or not you think Pedro is a truly evil father? Does he do anything right? Using clues from the text, describe what you think Pedro's relationship is like with his own father? How do you think this affects his relationship with his own sons?
Essay Topic 2
The Roman Catholic religion, as embodied by Father Rentería, is critiqued throughout the novel. What is the role of religion in the lives of the people of Comala? Does it provide a solace or is it more based on fear of damnation? Which characters are most affected by their faith? What characters are affected the least? Explain how Father Rentería is seen as both a positive and negative symbol of church. Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Eduviges tells Juan that the secret of redemption is to die "when you want to" or else to force God "to take you before your time".
- Why do you think she says this?
- Much of the plot is developed through the stories of the dead. Why do you think Rulfo has ghosts tell the stories? What can we learn from the past? How does this relate to Eduviges' advice?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)