Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy's grandmother want him to do for her?
2. Why does Dolores try to delay her wedding to Pedro?
3. What does Father Rentería do in order to help himself go to sleep?
4. Where is Doña Eduviges' house located?
5. How long have the man and woman been in Comala?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Justina tell Susana she is going to tell don Pedro when he comes?
2. How do Pedro and Dolores part ways?
3. What does Damiana tell Juan about Comala?
4. Why are the two women that Juan encounters in the street worried?
5. Why does Susana reject Father Rentería in her last living moments?
6. When the reader first hears Susana's narrative, where does she think she is?
7. What does the woman tell Juan about the roads leaving from Comala?
8. How does what happens to Toribio Aldrete confirm don Pedro's immoral behavior?
9. Why does Dorotea say she is no longer interested in the sky?
10. What does the woman think is wrong with the other woman?
Essay Topic 1
Juan's descent into Comala is like an ascension into hell. Later the reader learns that Comala's dead remain in the town as a purgatory. Select three of the following characters and explain why their ghosts are stuck in Comala:
Address how each of their stories help the reader learn more about Pedro and his life.
Essay Topic 2
The Roman Catholic religion, as embodied by Father Rentería, is critiqued throughout the novel. What is the role of religion in the lives of the people of Comala? Does it provide a solace or is it more based on fear of damnation? Which characters are most affected by their faith? What characters are affected the least? Explain how Father Rentería is seen as both a positive and negative symbol of church. Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Dolores is a conflicted character. Originally she is in love with Pedro and excited to learn he wants to marry her, but she soon becomes disenchanted with her life with him.
- What causes Dolores' change of heart?
- Dolores tells Juan not to ask his father for anything, but also to make him pay. Explain what you think she means by this. What do you think Dolores actually wants Juan to do? Using examples from the text explain why you think this.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)