|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abundio go deaf?
2. What does Damiana say she hears "night after night"?
3. How does Father Rentería suggest that María Dyada try to get redemption for her sister?
4. What is Damiana's sister's name?
5. What does the burro driver tell Juan is "a plague that takes over a person's house the minute they leave"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the deal that Abundio and Eduviges make?
2. What does Damiana tell Juan about Comala?
3. What does Juan Preciado hope to accomplish by finding his father?
4. How does what happens to Toribio Aldrete confirm don Pedro's immoral behavior?
5. What clues are you given as to the boy's family's financial situation?
6. Why does Fulgor end up working with don Pedro even after don Lucas' death?
7. Why does Juan's mother hate having her picture taken?
8. Why is Father Rentería conflicted after Miguel's death?
9. What is Dorotea's second dream?
10. Why is Eduviges convinced that Juan does not meet Abundio on the road to Comala?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sorrow is seen as an omnipresent and necessary part of life in Comala. Explain the characters' experience of sorrow in each of the following examples:
- Susana's mourning of Florencio
- Dorotea's sorrow over her unborn child
- Pedro's mourning over Susana
- Abundio's mourning over his wife
What are the consequences of each of these losses? How does the sorrow affect the lives of the ones left living? Would you agree that sorrow is necessary in life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The weather is a major part of how Rulfo develops his narrative. Find at least three examples from the novel where the weather, specifically the rain, heat, and wind, builds up the narrative tension in the story. What emotions do the weather conditions reflect or symbolize? How does the weather mirror what is going on with the plot?
Essay Topic 3
The women in the novel are very vulnerable characters who often are at the mercy of evil, controlling men. Select at least three of the following characters and analyze their place in the context of the novel:
- Donis' sister
Addressing the following questions:
- How does the character react to her fate?
- How is the character motivated by factors related to her gender?
- How do other characters treat her?
- Overall, do you think women are totally powerless in the novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)