|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dolores say she will tell her sister about her upcoming wedding?
2. What is the name of the shopkeeper?
3. Why does Juan Preciado come to Comala?
4. What do the man and the woman remember hearing Juan say?
5. What is unusual about the man and woman that Juan meets in the ramshackle house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between don Pedro and Dolores.
2. Describe the memory Pedro has of Susana as he sits in the privy.
3. Why does María Dyada believe that her sister Eduviges is worthy of redemption?
4. Why is Eduviges convinced that Juan does not meet Abundio on the road to Comala?
5. What does the woman tell Juan about nights in Comala?
6. Describe the road to Comala.
7. What is Dorotea's first dream?
8. Why are the two women that Juan encounters in the street worried?
9. What does the woman think is wrong with the other woman?
10. What does Juan Preciado hope to accomplish by finding his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Don Pedro and Father Rentería are two different examples of characters dealing with the consequences of their actions. Don Pedro seems to live a guiltless life without regret, while Father Rentería is consumed by guilt. Compare and contrast the two characters based on the following:
- What actions in their lives most affect the two characters?
- How do they deal with the consequences of their actions
- Who do you think is the more sympathetic of the characters? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, Pedro thinks: "Nothing can last forever. There isn't any memory, no matter how intense, that doesn't fade out at last" (95). Do you agree with this? Cite evidence from the text that supports your conclusion. Do any of the memories that affect the characters lives fade out? Which memories do not fade away? How do these memories affect the characters' fates?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why you think "Pedro Páramo" is an example of Magical Realism. Using specific examples of the text, address the following themes:
- Use of the supernatural
- Realistic aspects
- Extraordinary occurring at the same time as the ordinary
Explain why you think Rulfo uses this style to tell his story. What does the Magical Realism genre allow him to do as an author?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)