|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Father Rentería suggest that María Dyada try to get redemption for her sister?
2. What does Juan think his mother dies of?
3. What does the boy's mother want him to buy for her?
4. What does the burro driver tell Juan happens to don Pedro?
5. What is sitting next to Juan when he wakes up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Angeles and Fausta think Susana doesn't need confess her sins?
2. What frustrates don Pedro about Susana?
3. Why does don Pedro want Susana's father to disappear in the mines?
4. What is the mission of the revolutionaries?
5. Why does Father Rentería feel guilty about Miguel's crimes?
6. What does the woman think is wrong with the other woman?
7. Why doesn't don Pedro's lawyer continue holding his papers after he leaves?
8. Why don't the men of Comala come to the marketplace?
9. Describe the memory Pedro has of Susana as he sits in the privy.
10. Describe the night Susana learns of Florencio's death.
Essay Topic 1
Eduviges tells Juan that the secret of redemption is to die "when you want to" or else to force God "to take you before your time".
- Why do you think she says this?
- Much of the plot is developed through the stories of the dead. Why do you think Rulfo has ghosts tell the stories? What can we learn from the past? How does this relate to Eduviges' advice?
Essay Topic 2
Rulfo uses the historical context of the 1910-1920 Mexican Civil War to frame his novel. Based on what you learn about the Revolution and on your reading of the novel, do you think this revolution is a true revolution of the peasants or is it based on other less lofty ideals? Explain Pedro's, El Tilcuate's and Father Rentería's role in the Revolution. What does each of their roles in the Revolution reveal about their character?
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes that runs through the novel is the nature of redemption and hope in a person's life. Select one of the following characters and explain what gives them hope during their lives:
Address how (or if) they are able to find any sort of redemption in the afterlife. How do you know this from the novel?
This section contains 2,157 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)