|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the women in the boy's house saying a novena?
2. Where does Dolores' sister live?
3. At Miguel's funeral mass, what does the priest fail to do before leaving the church?
4. What does Juan think his mother dies of?
5. Whose wedding dress is Dolores invited to wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Fulgor end up working with don Pedro even after don Lucas' death?
2. Why does María Dyada believe that her sister Eduviges is worthy of redemption?
3. Why is Father Rentería conflicted after Miguel's death?
4. What does Juan Preciado hope to accomplish by finding his father?
5. What are the two men who Juan hears in the street discussing?
6. Describe the encounter between Father Rentería and María Dyada after Eduviges' death.
7. Describe the relationship between don Pedro and Dolores.
8. What is Dorotea's first dream?
9. What is Dorotea's second dream?
10. How is Comala different from how Juan's mother describes it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dolores is a conflicted character. Originally she is in love with Pedro and excited to learn he wants to marry her, but she soon becomes disenchanted with her life with him.
- What causes Dolores' change of heart?
- Dolores tells Juan not to ask his father for anything, but also to make him pay. Explain what you think she means by this. What do you think Dolores actually wants Juan to do? Using examples from the text explain why you think this.
Essay Topic 2
Susana's character is revealed to the reader almost entirely through her memories and delusions as heard from her grave. Give examples of the ways in which she is revealed to be losing her mind. Do you think her madness is a protective mechanism against the forces around her or an escape from them? How does Susana's behavior affect those around her, including Father Rentería, Justina, and Pedro? Do you think that Susana is a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"Pedro Páramo" has several structural elements that appear often in Modernist and Surrealist literature. Explain how the novel uses the following:
- Circular narrative
- Stories within stories
- Setting shifts
How do each of these contribute to the development of the plot.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)