|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does don Pedro's father initially want to do with his son?
2. What does the burro driver tell Juan is "a plague that takes over a person's house the minute they leave"?
3. Who does Chona's lover say he runs off with instead?
4. When Fulgor Sedano visits don Pedro for the second time, how many black bows are hanging on his door?
5. Who tells Juan where to stay while in Comala?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Damiana tell Juan about Comala?
2. How does what happens to Toribio Aldrete confirm don Pedro's immoral behavior?
3. What does the woman tell Juan about nights in Comala?
4. Why does María Dyada believe that her sister Eduviges is worthy of redemption?
5. Explain Miguel Paramo's fate.
6. Why does Fulgor end up working with don Pedro even after don Lucas' death?
7. Describe the relationship between don Pedro and Dolores.
8. Why is Father Rentería conflicted after Miguel's death?
9. What does the woman tell Juan about the roads leaving from Comala?
10. Why are the two women that Juan encounters in the street worried?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Juan Preciado explains when he realizes that he is being haunted, "I don't know. I see things and people where you may not see anything." The people of Comala are literally being haunted by the ghosts of the dead, but the novel also shows how the characters are figuratively haunted by memories of their past, by their regrets and by the actions of other. Select at least three of the following characters and explain what memories they are haunted by:
- Father Rentería
- Donis' sister
Essay Topic 2
Dolores is a conflicted character. Originally she is in love with Pedro and excited to learn he wants to marry her, but she soon becomes disenchanted with her life with him.
- What causes Dolores' change of heart?
- Dolores tells Juan not to ask his father for anything, but also to make him pay. Explain what you think she means by this. What do you think Dolores actually wants Juan to do? Using examples from the text explain why you think this.
Essay Topic 3
Pedro has very different relationships with the three sons that we meet in the novel: Juan, Abundio, and Miguel. Compare and contrast his relationship with his three sons. Address the following:
- Legitimate versus illegitimate status
- Are his sons good or evil?
- How has being the son of Pedro Páramo affected each son's life for better or worse?
After comparing and contrasting the relationship Pedro has with his three sons, explain whether or not you think Pedro is a truly evil father? Does he do anything right? Using clues from the text, describe what you think Pedro's relationship is like with his own father? How do you think this affects his relationship with his own sons?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)