|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pedro say he loves Dolores?
2. Where is Juan the day before he gets to Comala?
3. What does Rogelio asked young Pedro to do for him?
4. Why do the men who carry Miguel's coffin complaining after his burial?
5. Where does Dolores' sister live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clues are you given as to the boy's family's financial situation?
2. What are the two men who Juan hears in the street discussing?
3. Why are the two women that Juan encounters in the street worried?
4. How is Comala different from how Juan's mother describes it?
5. Explain Miguel Paramo's fate.
6. Why is the priest reluctant to marry don Pedro and Dolores?
7. Why does María Dyada believe that her sister Eduviges is worthy of redemption?
8. Describe the encounter between Father Rentería and María Dyada after Eduviges' death.
9. Why does Eduviges and Dolorita promise to die together?
10. What does the woman think is wrong with the other woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Susana's character is revealed to the reader almost entirely through her memories and delusions as heard from her grave. Give examples of the ways in which she is revealed to be losing her mind. Do you think her madness is a protective mechanism against the forces around her or an escape from them? How does Susana's behavior affect those around her, including Father Rentería, Justina, and Pedro? Do you think that Susana is a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The weather is a major part of how Rulfo develops his narrative. Find at least three examples from the novel where the weather, specifically the rain, heat, and wind, builds up the narrative tension in the story. What emotions do the weather conditions reflect or symbolize? How does the weather mirror what is going on with the plot?
Essay Topic 3
The love relationships between the characters in the novel are depicted both positively and negatively. For each of the following relationships, explain whether you think it is a positive or negative depiction of romantic love:
- Donis and his sister
- Susana and Florencio
- Dolores and Pedro
- Susana and Pedro
- Abundio and his wife
What do you think Rulfo is trying to say about romantic love based on his description of these relationships? Do you think he believes in the power of romantic love to provide solace in people's lives? Why or why not?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)