|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the man and woman that Juan meets in the ramshackle house?
2. What makes Ana unsure of who rapes her?
3. What does Father Rentería do in order to help himself go to sleep?
4. Why does Pedro say he loves Dolores?
5. What is the earliest date that Dolores says she can be married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the burro driver tell Juan about how don Pedro treats women?
2. How does Fulgor get Dolores to agree to marry Pedro?
3. What is Dorotea's second dream?
4. What is the deal that Abundio and Eduviges make?
5. How does the woman explain her sin during confession?
6. Describe the memory Pedro has of Susana as he sits in the privy.
7. Why does Juan's mother hate having her picture taken?
8. What does Damiana tell Juan about Comala?
9. Why are the two women that Juan encounters in the street worried?
10. Describe the relationship between don Pedro and Dolores.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The women in the novel are very vulnerable characters who often are at the mercy of evil, controlling men. Select at least three of the following characters and analyze their place in the context of the novel:
- Donis' sister
Addressing the following questions:
- How does the character react to her fate?
- How is the character motivated by factors related to her gender?
- How do other characters treat her?
- Overall, do you think women are totally powerless in the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, Pedro thinks: "Nothing can last forever. There isn't any memory, no matter how intense, that doesn't fade out at last" (95). Do you agree with this? Cite evidence from the text that supports your conclusion. Do any of the memories that affect the characters lives fade out? Which memories do not fade away? How do these memories affect the characters' fates?
Essay Topic 3
"Pedro Páramo" has several structural elements that appear often in Modernist and Surrealist literature. Explain how the novel uses the following:
- Circular narrative
- Stories within stories
- Setting shifts
How do each of these contribute to the development of the plot.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)