|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does don Pedro owe the most money to?
2. What does Juan's tossing and turning remind the woman of?
3. Where is Juan buried?
4. What does Juan carry in his pocket to remind him of his mother?
5. Where does Dolores' sister live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fulgor get Dolores to agree to marry Pedro?
2. Why does don Pedro want to marry Dolores?
3. Describe the memory Pedro has of Susana as he sits in the privy.
4. How is Comala different from how Juan's mother describes it?
5. Explain Miguel Paramo's fate.
6. Why does Eduviges and Dolorita promise to die together?
7. Why is Father Rentería conflicted after Miguel's death?
8. What is Dorotea's second dream?
9. What is the deal that Abundio and Eduviges make?
10. What clues are you given as to the boy's family's financial situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Don Pedro and Father Rentería are two different examples of characters dealing with the consequences of their actions. Don Pedro seems to live a guiltless life without regret, while Father Rentería is consumed by guilt. Compare and contrast the two characters based on the following:
- What actions in their lives most affect the two characters?
- How do they deal with the consequences of their actions
- Who do you think is the more sympathetic of the characters? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The Roman Catholic religion, as embodied by Father Rentería, is critiqued throughout the novel. What is the role of religion in the lives of the people of Comala? Does it provide a solace or is it more based on fear of damnation? Which characters are most affected by their faith? What characters are affected the least? Explain how Father Rentería is seen as both a positive and negative symbol of church. Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The weather is a major part of how Rulfo develops his narrative. Find at least three examples from the novel where the weather, specifically the rain, heat, and wind, builds up the narrative tension in the story. What emotions do the weather conditions reflect or symbolize? How does the weather mirror what is going on with the plot?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)