|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the boy's grandmother want him to do for her?
(a) Shell the corn.
(b) Take care of the horses.
(c) Grind the chocolate.
(d) Clean the house.
2. Why does Dolores try to delay her wedding to Pedro?
(a) She is menstruating.
(b) She wants to wait until her sister can attend the wedding.
(c) She has a date with someone else.
(d) She is afraid to lose her virginity.
3. What does Father Rentería do in order to help himself go to sleep?
(a) He counts sheep.
(b) He takes a warm bath.
(c) He drinks hot milk.
(d) He recites the names of the saints.
4. Where is Doña Eduviges' house located?
(a) In the desert.
(b) Next to a bridge by the river.
(c) In don Pedro's estate compound.
(d) In Contla.
5. How long have the man and woman been in Comala?
(a) Six years.
(b) Two months.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) They are born there.
6. How does Damiana originally know Juan?
(a) She is his real mother.
(b) She takes care of him when he is a baby.
(c) She is his girlfriend.
(d) She is his mother's best friend.
7. Why are the women in the boy's house saying a novena?
(a) For financial prosperity.
(b) For all the pregnant women.
(c) To improve the boy's health.
(d) To mourn his grandfather's death.
8. What is Abundio's main job in Comala?
(a) To bring the mail.
(b) To teach the children.
(c) To take care of the horses.
(d) To settle minor legal disputes.
9. What does Juan think his mother dies of?
(d) A bad fall.
10. What does Galileo tell his brother-in-law he needs in order to pay off his debt?
(a) To win the lottery.
(b) A good night of cards.
(c) A good corn crop.
(d) A loan.
11. What sin is the woman guilty of?
(a) Stealing money.
(b) Sleeping with her brother.
(c) Killing someone.
12. Where does Dolores' sister live?
(a) The Media Luna ranch.
(b) Next to Eduviges in Comala.
13. What does Damiana say she hears "night after night"?
(a) Her sister and her brother-in-law making love.
(c) A fiesta at Media Luna.
(d) Juan's cries.
14. What is in the room Juan sleeps in during his first night in Comala?
(a) It is full of cats.
(b) It is full of candles.
(c) It has other people sleeping in it.
(d) It is completely empty.
15. What is unusual about the man and woman that Juan meets in the ramshackle house?
(a) They have horrible facial scars.
(b) They are identical twins.
(c) They are naked.
(d) They can't speak.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't the boy's family buy a new mill?
2. What does the burro driver tell Juan happens to don Pedro?
3. Who has the woman confessed her sin to?
4. Where is Juan planning on staying while in Comala?
5. What does don Pedro's father initially want to do with his son?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)