|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Damiana do when she happens upon a wake?
(a) She faints.
(b) She begins to dance.
(c) She recites "The Lord's Prayer".
(d) She sings her favorite song.
2. When Juan awakes, where does the woman say that Donis goes?
(a) To kill himself.
(b) To find a lost calf.
(c) To go to a fiesta.
(d) To go to mass.
3. What does the burro driver tell Juan is "a plague that takes over a person's house the minute they leave"?
(d) Creosote bush.
4. Where is Juan's body found?
(a) At the Media Luna ranch.
(b) In the town plaza.
(c) At Eduviges' house.
(d) In his father's grave.
5. How does Dolores say she will tell her sister about her upcoming wedding?
(a) She will send a message to her in her dreams.
(b) She will send her a letter.
(c) She will have Eduviges tell her.
(d) She does not want to tell her about it.
6. What does Father Rentería do in order to help himself go to sleep?
(a) He counts sheep.
(b) He recites the names of the saints.
(c) He drinks hot milk.
(d) He takes a warm bath.
7. Who has the woman confessed her sin to?
(a) Juan's mother.
(b) Her sister.
(d) A visiting bishop.
8. Who is the old woman that comes into the house?
(b) Damiana Cisneros.
(c) Juan's mother.
(d) The woman's sister.
9. What does Rogelio asked young Pedro to do for him?
(a) Build a coffin.
(b) Watch his little boy.
(c) Find him a job.
(d) Buy supplies.
10. What is Inocencio Osorio's nickname?
11. What promise does Dolorita and Eduviges make to each other?
(a) To write each other every day.
(b) To die together.
(c) To never marry.
(d) To pay off each others' debt.
12. What does the boy's grandmother want him to do for her?
(a) Grind the chocolate.
(b) Take care of the horses.
(c) Clean the house.
(d) Shell the corn.
13. What does don Pedro's father initially want to do with his son?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Send him to the seminary.
(c) Give him up for adoption.
(d) Make him in charge of Media Luna.
14. Why can't Chona run off with her lover?
(a) She has too much debt.
(b) She is married.
(c) She is in love with don Pedro.
(d) Her father is ill.
15. What does Osorio tell Dolores she must not do on her wedding night?
(a) Wear white.
(b) Lie with a man.
(c) Go to church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Juan tell the woman that he is headed?
2. What happens to Pedro's father?
3. What does Eduviges want Juan to do before he goes to sleep?
4. Where is Juan buried?
5. What is the last thing that Juan sees before he dies?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)