|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Waltzer meet Davy?
2. When Reuben goes with Davy in Chapter 17 and sees what might be Venus or Jupiter, what direction does he think they might be traveling?
3. What does Swede call the moon when they picnic in the Badlands in January?
4. What river do the Lands come upon after leaving Linton?
5. Which painter does Swede think painted someone who looked like the devilish man Reuben saw in a dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Andreeson believe that Davy is in the Badlands?
2. What do the Lands and Roxanna eat during the picnic in the Badlands?
3. Why does Roxanna Cawley keep goats in a bathroom?
4. What does the posse find when they reach Waltzer's cabin?
5. What does Reuben tell himself when nervously waiting for Davy in Chapter 17?
6. What dread realization dawns on Reuben when he is struggling to breathe in Chapter 19?
7. Why doesn't Dr. Nickles recommend sending Reuben to the hospital?
8. Why does Roxanna say that part of the Badlands is on fire?
9. What happened two years ago that makes Andreeson believe that Jeremiah can lead him to Davy?
10. How does Swede's poem about Sunny end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what Reuben and Swede believe about miracles using examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Argue whether the mood of the book is positive or negative. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the troubles between the Land family and Israel and Tommy and how they escalate. Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)