|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Land family have for breakfast on Swede's birthday?
2. How much money does Jeremiah get when he sells his bed?
3. How deep is the snow when Reuben begins tearing down the corncrib?
4. What type of fish did Oscar Larson and Jeremiah usually catch?
5. What do the Lands eat for supper on Swede's birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Reuben resent that Jeremiah healed Mr. Holgren?
2. How did Davy escape?
3. Describe Mrs. DeCuellar.
4. After Reuben testifies, he and Swede decide to break Davy out of jail. Why are their plans to break Davy out of jail thwarted?
5. Why did an ambulance have to take Lurvy and another man when Lurvy became sick?
6. How do the Lands spend Christmas Eve in 1962?
7. Why are Swede's sugar cookies sometimes unorthodox?
8. What does Reuben hear and see when he gets up in the night at the Schultz's to use the outhouse?
9. What changes occurred in Jeremiah's and Helen's lives after the tornado?
10. Why is Jeremiah fired from his job as janitor at the elementary school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Reuben sees state troopers at gas stations, he begins to realize that someone is waging a war against his family. Discuss why a war is being waged against the Lands. Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Jeremiah frequently believes in things that seem to have no likelihood of happening. Discuss Jeremiah's faith using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
When Davy is arrested, Reuben says that "the whole thing was no less a tornado than the other" referring to a tornado Jeremiah experienced when he was in his twenties. Compare Jeremiah's tornado to the events after the shooting. Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)