|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How deep is the snow when Reuben begins tearing down the corncrib?
2. What does Swede read to Reuben the night after the first day of Davy's trial?
3. Who comes to spend Christmas eve with the Lands?
4. What church do the Lands attend?
5. What time was Stube released from Davy's cell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Reuben resent that Jeremiah healed Mr. Holgren?
2. What does Stanley Basca tell that Davy did the night of the shooting?
3. What does Reuben hear and see when he gets up in the night at the Schultz's to use the outhouse?
4. Why did an ambulance have to take Lurvy and another man when Lurvy became sick?
5. What happened to Jeremiah when the tornado roared through?
6. Who does Swede have rescue Sunny from the noose and why does that bother Reuben?
7. Why are Swede's sugar cookies sometimes unorthodox?
8. How do the Lands spend Christmas Eve in 1962?
9. How did Helen protect Davy when she was awakened by the tornado?
10. What worries Dr. Nokes about Jeremiah's pneumonia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reuben came into the world in a rather dramatic manner. Discuss why Reuben began life in a dangerous and romantic manner. Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Swede does not know that her father performs miracles until the time they elude state troopers searching for them. Discuss why Swede doesn't know about the miracles and how she responds when she learns about them. Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the troubles between the Land family and Israel and Tommy and how they escalate. Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)