|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Lands have for lunch on Swede's birthday?
2. Who writes a letter that turns public opinion against Davy?
3. What is one of Swede's favorite authors?
4. In what hospital was Reuben born?
5. What is the name of the sheriff who brings the news of Davy's escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Reuben hear and see when he gets up in the night at the Schultz's to use the outhouse?
2. Where do the Lands go to hunt geese?
3. What happens to Swede while Reuben and his father attend church?
4. Where did the medical school that Jeremiah attended get a skeleton?
5. How do the Lands spend Christmas Eve in 1962?
6. What happened when Swede chases the goose shot by Reuben?
7. What does Reuben buy with the money he earns from tearing down the corncrib?
8. Why did Jeremiah suddenly run inside the hospital?
9. After Reuben testifies, he and Swede decide to break Davy out of jail. Why are their plans to break Davy out of jail thwarted?
10. What does Stanley Basca tell that Davy did the night of the shooting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss what prayer means to Jeremiah. Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the police respond when they learn about Swede's capture by Israel Fisher and Tommy Basca.
Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Because of a particularly bad asthma attack and his worries about his brother, Reuben seems to lose his faith. Discuss how and why Reuben loses and then regains his faith. Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)