|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the book that Stube was reading the night that Davy escaped.
2. What does Reuben want for Christmas in 1962?
3. What type of pie does Mrs. DeCuellar serve for breakfast?
4. Where is Davy put in jail?
5. Who writes a letter that turns public opinion against Davy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What presents does Swede receive for her birthday?
2. What happens to Swede while Reuben and his father attend church?
3. Who does Swede have rescue Sunny from the noose and why does that bother Reuben?
4. What did Dr. Nokes do when Reuben was born not breathing?
5. Where did the medical school that Jeremiah attended get a skeleton?
6. What happened when Swede chases the goose shot by Reuben?
7. What happened to Jeremiah when the tornado roared through?
8. What worries Dr. Nokes about Jeremiah's pneumonia?
9. How did Helen protect Davy when she was awakened by the tornado?
10. How do the Lands spend Christmas Eve in 1962?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reuben came into the world in a rather dramatic manner. Discuss why Reuben began life in a dangerous and romantic manner. Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
When Davy is arrested, Reuben says that "the whole thing was no less a tornado than the other" referring to a tornado Jeremiah experienced when he was in his twenties. Compare Jeremiah's tornado to the events after the shooting. Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
While testifying at Davy's trial, Reuben becomes self-confident and prideful. Discuss how and why pride overtakes Reuben when testifying at his brother's trial. Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)