|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Swede read to Reuben the night after the first day of Davy's trial?
2. What type of fish did Oscar Larson and Jeremiah usually catch?
3. What type of bread does Mrs. Nokes often send the Lands when Davy is in jail?
4. How old is Reuben when he sees his father's third miracle?
5. What was the first name of the doctor who delivered Reuben?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Reuben resent that Jeremiah healed Mr. Holgren?
2. How did Helen protect Davy when she was awakened by the tornado?
3. What happened when Swede chases the goose shot by Reuben?
4. What does Reuben hear and see when he gets up in the night at the Schultz's to use the outhouse?
5. What does Reuben buy with the money he earns from tearing down the corncrib?
6. Describe Mrs. DeCuellar.
7. How does Jeremiah get money to stock the Airstream with food?
8. How did Davy escape?
9. Why are Swede's sugar cookies sometimes unorthodox?
10. Why is Jeremiah fired from his job as janitor at the elementary school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Swede does not know that her father performs miracles until the time they elude state troopers searching for them. Discuss why Swede doesn't know about the miracles and how she responds when she learns about them. Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Extraordinary events occur frequently in the novel. Argue whether these events are miracles using examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how and why Dr. Nokes uses subterfuge to keep Reuben away from his father when Jeremiah has pneumonia.
Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)