|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first name of the doctor who delivered Reuben?
2. How many men in the following days show up at the courthouse armed with old guns to join the posse searching for Davy?
3. When do the Lands leave Roofing in the Airstream?
4. Whose birthday is on December 16?
5. Where does Jeremiah suggest the family move when he is struggling with pneumonia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Reuben resent that Jeremiah healed Mr. Holgren?
2. What worries Dr. Nokes about Jeremiah's pneumonia?
3. What changes occurred in Jeremiah's and Helen's lives after the tornado?
4. What does Reuben feel when he touches his dad during the revival service held by Rev. Johnny Latt?
5. What happened to Jeremiah when the tornado roared through?
6. After Reuben testifies, he and Swede decide to break Davy out of jail. Why are their plans to break Davy out of jail thwarted?
7. What happened to Dolly when she was in the locker room with Thomas and Israel?
8. What did Dr. Nokes do when Reuben was born not breathing?
9. Why did Jeremiah suddenly run inside the hospital?
10. Why is Jeremiah fired from his job as janitor at the elementary school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Reuben sees state troopers at gas stations, he begins to realize that someone is waging a war against his family. Discuss why a war is being waged against the Lands. Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The title of the book is taken from a hymn. Discuss how the hymn, "It is Well with My Soul," relates to the characters in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss what prayer means to Jeremiah. Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)