|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song does Jeremiah hum after Reuben buys groceries with the money he earns from tearing down the corncrib?
2. What does Jeremiah use to remove tar from his front door?
3. Who did Helen marry after she left Jeremiah?
4. What time do the Lands have to arrive at the courthouse for Davy's trial?
5. What does a farmer report stolen three days after Davy's escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Jeremiah Land when Reuben was born?
2. What happens to Swede while Reuben and his father attend church?
3. After Reuben testifies, he and Swede decide to break Davy out of jail. Why are their plans to break Davy out of jail thwarted?
4. What did Dr. Nokes do when Reuben was born not breathing?
5. Who does Swede have rescue Sunny from the noose and why does that bother Reuben?
6. What happened to Jeremiah when the tornado roared through?
7. What presents does Swede receive for her birthday?
8. What does Stanley Basca tell that Davy did the night of the shooting?
9. Why does Reuben resent that Jeremiah healed Mr. Holgren?
10. What irregular work did Jeremiah find after being fired from his janitor job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the police respond when they learn about Swede's capture by Israel Fisher and Tommy Basca.
Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Waltzer and Sara.
Support your statements with examples and quotes from the
Essay Topic 3
When Reuben sees state troopers at gas stations, he begins to realize that someone is waging a war against his family. Discuss why a war is being waged against the Lands. Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)