|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What western author might Jeremiah have enjoyed reading when he was in his late twenties?
2. What day does Reuben begin to tear down the corncrib?
3. What church do the Lands attend?
4. What color sweater does Reuben wear when he testifies at Davy's trial?
5. How deep is the snow when Reuben begins tearing down the corncrib?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Swede chases the goose shot by Reuben?
2. How did Helen protect Davy when she was awakened by the tornado?
3. How did Davy escape?
4. What happens to Swede while Reuben and his father attend church?
5. Describe Mrs. DeCuellar.
6. How does Elvis, the prosecutor, describe Israel and Tommy at the opening of Davy's trial?
7. What happened to Jeremiah when the tornado roared through?
8. Why does Reuben resent that Jeremiah healed Mr. Holgren?
9. Where did the medical school that Jeremiah attended get a skeleton?
10. Why is Jeremiah fired from his job as janitor at the elementary school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the police respond when they learn about Swede's capture by Israel Fisher and Tommy Basca.
Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The title of the book is taken from a hymn. Discuss how the hymn, "It is Well with My Soul," relates to the characters in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether the mood of the book is positive or negative. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)