|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time do the Lands have to arrive at the courthouse for Davy's trial?
2. How old is Swede at the beginning of the novel?
3. What does Swede pretend to be when the Lands crawl up on Canadian geese?
4. What church do the Lands attend?
5. What is the name of Davy's fellow inmate in the jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Dr. Nickles recommend sending Reuben to the hospital?
2. What did Dr. Nokes do when Reuben was born not breathing?
3. What does Reuben hear and see when he gets up in the night at the Schultz's to use the outhouse?
4. Describe Mrs. DeCuellar.
5. What does Jeremiah tell Reuben when he leaves him to enter the city in the other country?
6. What reasons did Swede present to persuade Jeremiah to allow her to bring her Mexican saddle on their journey in the Airstream?
7. Describe Reuben's dream the first night the Lands stay at Roxanna's.
8. Why does Reuben resent that Jeremiah healed Mr. Holgren?
9. How would Teddy Roosevelt's father try to help him breath?
10. What dread realization dawns on Reuben when he is struggling to breathe in Chapter 19?
Essay Topic 1
Because of a particularly bad asthma attack and his worries about his brother, Reuben seems to lose his faith. Discuss how and why Reuben loses and then regains his faith. Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the reactions of people to the shooting of Israel Fisher and Tommy Basca. Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the troubles between the Land family and Israel and Tommy and how they escalate. Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
This section contains 1,955 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)