|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what type of jacket did Jeremiah wrap Reuben in the delivery room?
2. What does Swede pretend to be when the Lands crawl up on Canadian geese?
3. What does Swede read to Reuben the night after the first day of Davy's trial?
4. What was the name of the farmer's wife who lived on the farm where the tornado took Jeremiah?
5. Who wrote the book that Stube was reading the night that Davy escaped.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jeremiah get money to stock the Airstream with food?
2. How did Helen protect Davy when she was awakened by the tornado?
3. How do the Lands spend Christmas Eve in 1962?
4. Why are Swede's sugar cookies sometimes unorthodox?
5. What did Dr. Nokes do when Reuben was born not breathing?
6. Why did Jeremiah suddenly run inside the hospital?
7. What changes occurred in Jeremiah's and Helen's lives after the tornado?
8. Describe Mrs. DeCuellar.
9. What happened to Jeremiah when the tornado roared through?
10. Why did an ambulance have to take Lurvy and another man when Lurvy became sick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Reuben's asthma makes him feel, how he deals with the asthma, and how the asthma is treated.
Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Because of a particularly bad asthma attack and his worries about his brother, Reuben seems to lose his faith. Discuss how and why Reuben loses and then regains his faith. Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the troubles between the Land family and Israel and Tommy and how they escalate. Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)