|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of August Shultz's wife?
2. In what year was Reuben born?
3. How many hours a week did Jeremiah work sweeping and painting in the athletic building while he was in medical school?
4. How many shots does Davy fire when Israel and Tommy break in the house after midnight?
5. What time was Stube released from Davy's cell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Swede's sugar cookies sometimes unorthodox?
2. Why doesn't Reuben get a good-bye kiss from Bethany?
3. Where was Jeremiah Land when Reuben was born?
4. Where did the medical school that Jeremiah attended get a skeleton?
5. How does Jeremiah get money to stock the Airstream with food?
6. Why did an ambulance have to take Lurvy and another man when Lurvy became sick?
7. What does Reuben feel when he touches his dad during the revival service held by Rev. Johnny Latt?
8. What happened to Dolly when she was in the locker room with Thomas and Israel?
9. Why is Jeremiah fired from his job as janitor at the elementary school?
10. What does Reuben hear and see when he gets up in the night at the Schultz's to use the outhouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether the mood of the book is positive or negative. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss what prayer means to Jeremiah. Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the troubles between the Land family and Israel and Tommy and how they escalate. Support your statements with examples and quotes from the book.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)