|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Swede at the beginning of the novel?
(a) 5 years old.
(b) 6 years old.
(c) 8 years old.
(d) 9 years old.
2. How old was Jeremiah when he was caught by a tornado.
(a) 25 years old.
(b) 31 years old.
(c) 33 years old.
(d) 28 years old.
3. What does Swede read to Reuben the night after the first day of Davy's trial?
(a) Graham Greene.
(b) Charles Dickens.
(c) Robert Louis Stevenson.
(d) C. S. Lewis.
4. How much does Reuben get paid for tearing down the corncrib?
5. Where does Lurvy say he had a delicious batch of clam chowder in Seatlle?
(a) Ivar's Acres of Clams.
(b) Mac's Clam Shack.
(c) Millie's Clam Shack.
(d) The Widder's Clam Shack.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month did a tornado strike the town where Jeremiah, Helen, and Davy lived while Jeremiah attended medical school?
2. What does Reuben want for Christmas in 1962?
3. In what year was Reuben born?
4. How deep is the snow when Reuben begins tearing down the corncrib?
5. What type of candy bar comes with Reuben's pay for tearing down the corncrib?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Reuben get a good-bye kiss from Bethany?
2. Why are Swede's sugar cookies sometimes unorthodox?
3. What does Reuben hear and see when he gets up in the night at the Schultz's to use the outhouse?
4. What does Reuben feel when he touches his dad during the revival service held by Rev. Johnny Latt?
5. What changes occurred in Jeremiah's and Helen's lives after the tornado?
6. Describe Mrs. DeCuellar.
7. Why is Jeremiah fired from his job as janitor at the elementary school?
8. What happened to Dolly when she was in the locker room with Thomas and Israel?
9. Why does Reuben resent that Jeremiah healed Mr. Holgren?
10. What happens to Swede while Reuben and his father attend church?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)