|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term means "the essence of a person's true nature"?
2. According to Hanh, what happens to anger when one pounds a pillow?
3. What is the result of compassion towards another who is suffering?
4. In "Transforming Feelings", who/what is analogous to emotion?
5. What is Hanh's attitude towards the Western tradition of hugging?
Essay Topic 1
In "The River" Hanh shares an anecdote about a river who chases clouds. Explore the analogy between the river's behavior and an individual who continues to look for his/her identity in material things.
Essay Topic 2
Family members need to understand one another before living in harmony can be possible. Using mindfulness as a blueprint, explain how siblings can come to terms with the belief that Mom or Dad favors or has an easier relationship with another sibling.
Essay Topic 3
In "Nourishing Awareness in Each Moment," Hanh compares our senses to windows. Using his comparison develop an essay that explores at least five similarities.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)