|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these dissolves anger?
2. According to Hanh, when must one recognize negative feelings?
3. According to Hanh, which of the following are feelings that are experienced by humans during life?
4. What is the result of compassion towards another who is suffering?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 51, Hanh introduces the word interbeing. What is the meaning of this word?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it impossible to drop all of one's identity from the parents?
2. What instructions on meditating does Hanh give the reader in "Meditation on Compassion"? Why would it be more beneficial to meditate on someone who is obviously suffering?
3. According to Hanh, how should an individual treat parents concerning their mistakes?
4. What lesson does Hanh teach the reader in "Mindfulness Must be Engaged"?
5. In "The Sun is My Heart", Hanh intertwines interbeing with the universe. Explain the title's metaphor.
6. Why is Hanh surprised to find that the Charles River is not a safe place to wash one's face? According to Hanh, how can dead rivers be resurrected?
7. In "Understanding" Hanh explains that understanding and love are one thing. Why can the two not be separated?
8. What is the Buddhist concept of "interbeing?" Hanh gives an example of interbeing by stating that poverty cannot exist without wealth. Give at least two other similar examples.
9. What theme is expressed in "Look into Your Hand"? Following the theme's message, why should one never feel lonely?
10. How is Hanh's Buddhist faith reintroduced in "Internal Formations"? What is a common analogy to this teaching?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To keep from becoming goal oriented, Hanh views aimlessness as necessary. Using a realistic goal that an individual is trying to attain, explore how aimlessness could be detrimental.
Essay Topic 2
The first instinct when one feels an unpleasant emotion is to find an escape. Explain how this need to escape leads to compulsive behavior in the form of an addiction.
Essay Topic 3
Hanh remarks that even the wealthiest can die of suffering. Apply his words to a wealthy country. How could the country cease to exist even though it had tremendous resources?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)