|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are most individuals unwilling to do about an issue?
2. Who/what lives thanks to the "second heart"?
3. What facilities for gatherings does Hanh recommend for replacing the large family units?
4. What does Hanh view as the best investment one can make?
5. According to Hanh's "Nourishing of Healthy Seeds", what are the two levels of consciousness?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Sun is My Heart", Hanh intertwines interbeing with the universe. Explain the title's metaphor.
2. In "The Art of Mindful Living" Hanh remarks again about environmental issues. How can mindful living help environmental efforts?
3. What effect does conscious breathing have on a hug? Why?
4. According to Hanh in "Mindfulness of Anger", anger is the root of self-control problems. How does anger take away our mindfulness? Why would its power lead to one being out of control?
5. According to Hanh, how should an individual treat parents concerning their mistakes?
6. Why should one meditate on an individual who has caused personal pain?
7. Why is Hanh surprised to find that the Charles River is not a safe place to wash one's face? According to Hanh, how can dead rivers be resurrected?
8. What lesson does Hanh teach the reader in "Mindfulness Must be Engaged"?
9. After calming an unpleasant feeling, what two additional steps should be taken to insure that the negative emotion is eradicated completely?
10. What steps can be taken to alleviate anger's control and transform it into a positive force?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The first instinct when one feels an unpleasant emotion is to find an escape. Explain how this need to escape leads to compulsive behavior in the form of an addiction.
Essay Topic 2
A familiar adage which refers to stress in an individual is all tied up in knots. Compare/contrast the adage with the Buddhist's concept of "internal formations.
Essay Topic 3
Hanh's essay on "Living Together" is directed towards the family unit. How could the principles stated in this article apply to individual countries and world peace?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)