|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the foreword, what is the only way to bring about world peace?
2. What is mouth yoga?
3. Which mantra during conscious breathing relaxes the body?
4. In "Cookie of Childhood", who gives Hanh a cookie to savor?
5. What location is the birthplace of Thich Nhat Hanh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What Christian belief does Hanh refute in his article "Hope as an Obstacle"? Why is it important that Hanh included a Christian belief in his book?
2. The book's nature theme is expressed in "Flower Insights". What message is Buddha imparting to the monks by holding a flower and smiling?
3. Explain the process of conscious breathing. What is its purpose?
4. Describe the ritual of having a mindful family dinner.
5. What qualities does the dandelion possess that makes it a good choice as the recipient of lost smiles?
6. Why should aimlessness be everyone's goal in life?
7. How does the term departmentalization apply to most people's attitude towards meditation? Why is the attitude incorrect? How can society benefit by an attitude adjustment?
8. What are the bells of mindfulness? What everyday sounds might be used as bells? List additional bells that are not mentioned in the book that could be used.
9. How is Hanh's image as a forward thinker strengthened in "Driving Meditation"? How does his image affect his peers? What theme from the book is extended through the anecdote?
10. What are the benefits of conscious breathing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the analogy between departmentalization and going to church on Sundays?
Essay Topic 2
Hanh was nominated in 1967 by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. for the Nobel Peace Prize. Research Dr. King's views on attaining world peace. Compare/contrast his views to Hanh's.
Essay Topic 3
The foreword is written by H.H. the Dalai Lama, who is a revered spiritual leader. Research the views of H.H. the Dalai Lama. Then compare/contrast his views on world peace with those of Hanh.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)