|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the goal of meditation?
2. In which yoga position are the legs crossed by placing both feet on opposite knees?
3. Where is Gethsemani?
4. What happens when one stops seeking benefits from life?
5. What phrase is used in the Editor's Introduction to describe "Peace is Every Step"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The River of Feelings", what three types of feelings are discussed? Should one feeling be approached differently than another? Why or why not?
2. Explain the statement, "'Peace is Every Step' is a book of reminders."
3. Explore the analogy of a new day being a gift to every being. Include details on how gifts are usually anticipated and acknowledged.
4. Describe the ritual of having a mindful family dinner.
5. How does Hanh show his true Buddhist nature in "Telephone Meditation"?
6. What Christian belief does Hanh refute in his article "Hope as an Obstacle"? Why is it important that Hanh included a Christian belief in his book?
7. In "The Sun is My Heart", Hanh intertwines interbeing with the universe. Explain the title's metaphor.
8. What is the Buddhist word for aimlessness? How does this word further extend the theme of living in the present?
9. When is Hanh's second visit to the United States? What is the purpose of this visit? What do his visits to the United States indicate about his own commitment to world peace?
10. Explain the process of conscious breathing. What is its purpose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family members need to understand one another before living in harmony can be possible. Using mindfulness as a blueprint, explain how siblings can come to terms with the belief that Mom or Dad favors or has an easier relationship with another sibling.
Essay Topic 2
Hanh was nominated in 1967 by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. for the Nobel Peace Prize. Research Dr. King's views on attaining world peace. Compare/contrast his views to Hanh's.
Essay Topic 3
The first instinct when one feels an unpleasant emotion is to find an escape. Explain how this need to escape leads to compulsive behavior in the form of an addiction.
This section contains 1,574 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)