|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to a poem in this section, who/what now has the poet's lost smile?
2. What does practicing conscious breathing unify?
3. According to Hanh, what items should be in a family meditation room?
4. According to the author, which rite is a wonderful practice of mindfulness that Jesus used to awaken his disciples?
5. What are the fundamental basics of peace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the fundamental building blocks for harmony? How does creating harmony in one's own life benefit peace in the world?
2. Why should aimlessness be everyone's goal in life?
3. According to Hanh, why does Jesus ask His disciples to eat the bread during the Eucharist? How does this request help the disciples to live in the present?
4. The book's nature theme is expressed in "Flower Insights". What message is Buddha imparting to the monks by holding a flower and smiling?
5. How does Hanh simplify the process of conscious breathing so that it is an easy practice?
6. According to Hanh, what is an inappropriate use for meditation? What harm might be possible from using it inappropriately?
7. How does the process of conscious breathing affect one's work?
8. How does the term departmentalization apply to most people's attitude towards meditation? Why is the attitude incorrect? How can society benefit by an attitude adjustment?
9. Which peace activist nominates Hanh for the Nobel Peace Prize? In what year does the nomination occur? Why does this individual nominate Hanh?
10. What qualities does the dandelion possess that makes it a good choice as the recipient of lost smiles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hanh's essay on "Living Together" is directed towards the family unit. How could the principles stated in this article apply to individual countries and world peace?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Eucharist" Hanh refutes the Christian belief of salvation. Explore another Hanh teaching that contradicts Christianity.
Essay Topic 3
In "Twenty-Four Brand-New Hours" Hanh compares a new day to a precious gift. Compare/contrast a precious gift and a new day.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)