|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does practicing conscious breathing unify?
2. In "Conscious Breathing", which two words can be used to facilitate being mindful of breathing?
3. What does Hanh compare to windows?
4. In "Cookie of Childhood", who gives Hanh a cookie to savor?
5. Which mantra during conscious breathing relaxes the body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the year and place of Hanh's birth? What are two of Hanh's earliest connections to the Buddhist faith?
2. How does Hanh simplify the process of conscious breathing so that it is an easy practice?
3. The book's nature theme is expressed in "Flower Insights". What message is Buddha imparting to the monks by holding a flower and smiling?
4. Which peace activist nominates Hanh for the Nobel Peace Prize? In what year does the nomination occur? Why does this individual nominate Hanh?
5. When is Hanh's second visit to the United States? What is the purpose of this visit? What do his visits to the United States indicate about his own commitment to world peace?
6. Why should aimlessness be everyone's goal in life?
7. What qualities does the dandelion possess that makes it a good choice as the recipient of lost smiles?
8. How does the term departmentalization apply to most people's attitude towards meditation? Why is the attitude incorrect? How can society benefit by an attitude adjustment?
9. What are the fundamental building blocks for harmony? How does creating harmony in one's own life benefit peace in the world?
10. According to Hanh, humankind is a product of the environment. In order to avoid confusion and loneliness, what must one do? Why is it difficult for humankind to follow Hanh's advice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore three ways in which unnecessary driving is harmful. You must use one economic, one ecological, and one psychological example.
Essay Topic 2
Hanh remarks that even the wealthiest can die of suffering. Apply his words to a wealthy country. How could the country cease to exist even though it had tremendous resources?
Essay Topic 3
The foreword is written by H.H. the Dalai Lama, who is a revered spiritual leader. Research the views of H.H. the Dalai Lama. Then compare/contrast his views on world peace with those of Hanh.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)