|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Flower Insights" who holds a flower before the monks?
2. What is the origin of a smile?
3. What enables one to become a real person?
4. What invitation does the author give to the reader at the end of the first section?
5. In "Eating Mindfully", what is the purpose of eating?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which peace activist nominates Hanh for the Nobel Peace Prize? In what year does the nomination occur? Why does this individual nominate Hanh?
2. Explain the statement, "'Peace is Every Step' is a book of reminders."
3. In "Driving Meditation" Hanh encourages the reader to view his or her vehicle as his or herself and to control the vehicle as such. How would conscious breathing facilitate one's control of a vehicle?
4. What is the year and place of Hanh's birth? What are two of Hanh's earliest connections to the Buddhist faith?
5. How does Hanh simplify the process of conscious breathing so that it is an easy practice?
6. When is Hanh's second visit to the United States? What is the purpose of this visit? What do his visits to the United States indicate about his own commitment to world peace?
7. What is the Buddhist word for aimlessness? How does this word further extend the theme of living in the present?
8. What Christian belief does Hanh refute in his article "Hope as an Obstacle"? Why is it important that Hanh included a Christian belief in his book?
9. Explain the process of conscious breathing. What is its purpose?
10. In "Cookies of Childhood" what is the analogy between eating a cookie and living in the present?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To keep from becoming goal oriented, Hanh views aimlessness as necessary. Using a realistic goal that an individual is trying to attain, explore how aimlessness could be detrimental.
Essay Topic 2
In "Twenty-Four Brand-New Hours" Hanh compares a new day to a precious gift. Compare/contrast a precious gift and a new day.
Essay Topic 3
What is the analogy between departmentalization and going to church on Sundays?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)