|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the goal of meditation?
2. Who smiles at the flower?
3. What causes us to lose touch with the peace that is available each moment?
4. Who is Thomas Merton?
5. According to the author, which rite is a wonderful practice of mindfulness that Jesus used to awaken his disciples?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what year does Hanh first visit the United States? For what purpose? Why does he leave in 1963?
2. How does the term departmentalization apply to most people's attitude towards meditation? Why is the attitude incorrect? How can society benefit by an attitude adjustment?
3. Which peace activist nominates Hanh for the Nobel Peace Prize? In what year does the nomination occur? Why does this individual nominate Hanh?
4. According to Hanh, humankind is a product of the environment. In order to avoid confusion and loneliness, what must one do? Why is it difficult for humankind to follow Hanh's advice?
5. What are the bells of mindfulness? What everyday sounds might be used as bells? List additional bells that are not mentioned in the book that could be used.
6. What are the fundamental building blocks for harmony? How does creating harmony in one's own life benefit peace in the world?
7. Who is Thomas Merton? What is Merton's opinion of Hanh?
8. Why should aimlessness be everyone's goal in life?
9. What is the year and place of Hanh's birth? What are two of Hanh's earliest connections to the Buddhist faith?
10. According to Hanh, what is an inappropriate use for meditation? What harm might be possible from using it inappropriately?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the analogy between departmentalization and going to church on Sundays?
Essay Topic 2
To keep from becoming goal oriented, Hanh views aimlessness as necessary. Using a realistic goal that an individual is trying to attain, explore how aimlessness could be detrimental.
Essay Topic 3
In "Twenty-Four Brand-New Hours" Hanh compares a new day to a precious gift. Compare/contrast a precious gift and a new day.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)