|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What community is established by Hanh a hundred miles southwest of Paris?
(a) Left Bank.
(b) Le Casserole.
(c) Sweet Pears.
(d) Sweet Potato.
2. What body position does Hanh recommend for meditation?
(a) Lying parallel to the Earth.
(b) Sitting upright in a chair.
(c) Sitting on the ground facing the sun.
(d) Sitting cross-legged on a cushion.
3. Who was the first monk to ride a bicycle in Vietnam?
(a) H.H. the Dalai Lama.
(b) Thich Nguyen.
(c) Nhat Hanh Nguyen.
(d) Thich Nhat Hanh.
4. What two conscious actions should precede taking a bite of food?
(a) Saying grace and smiling.
(b) Breathing and smiling.
(c) Sitting down, then closing one's eyes.
(d) Pausing, then smelling the food's aroma.
5. In "Present Moment, Wonderful Moment", where is the perfect place to practice conscious breathing?
(a) In nature.
(b) In church.
(c) In solitude.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does one sometimes go for a drive unnecessarily?
2. According to the foreword, what is the only way to bring about world peace?
3. Who smiles at Buddha?
4. What must one do before answering the telephone?
5. When we walk hurriedly, what imprints are left on the Earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. When is Hanh's second visit to the United States? What is the purpose of this visit? What do his visits to the United States indicate about his own commitment to world peace?
2. What do dishes symbolize in "Washing the Dishes"? What does dessert symbolize in this article?
3. The book's nature theme is expressed in "Flower Insights". What message is Buddha imparting to the monks by holding a flower and smiling?
4. Who is Thomas Merton? What is Merton's opinion of Hanh?
5. Explain the process of conscious breathing. What is its purpose?
6. What is the year and place of Hanh's birth? What are two of Hanh's earliest connections to the Buddhist faith?
7. In what year does Hanh first visit the United States? For what purpose? Why does he leave in 1963?
8. What are the benefits of conscious breathing?
9. What conclusion can the reader draw about Hanh's personal beliefs in his teachings from the bicycle anecdote?
10. Describe the ritual of having a mindful family dinner.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)