|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What body position does Hanh recommend for meditation?
(a) Sitting on the ground facing the sun.
(b) Sitting upright in a chair.
(c) Sitting cross-legged on a cushion.
(d) Lying parallel to the Earth.
2. Which mantra during conscious breathing relaxes the body?
(a) "Breathing out, I release the negatives."
(b) "Breathing in, I calm my body."
(c) "Breathing out, I smile."
(d) "Breathing in, I am happy."
3. Where is Gethsemani?
(a) New Delhi, India.
(b) New York City.
(c) Louisville, Kentucky.
4. In "Flower Insights" who holds a flower before the monks?
(b) H.H. the Dalai Lama.
(c) The book's author.
5. Who/what is one never able to escape?
(d) One's self.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hanh synchronize with his movements of using a scythe?
2. According to Hanh, what is the result of realizing the present moment?
3. Who presents a smile openly without any goal?
4. According to the Editor's Introduction, what method of obtaining peace is part of Thich Nhat Hanh's teachings?
5. What are the spiritual friends that Hanh uses on his mindfulness path?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the benefits of conscious breathing?
2. When is Hanh's second visit to the United States? What is the purpose of this visit? What do his visits to the United States indicate about his own commitment to world peace?
3. How does the process of conscious breathing affect one's work?
4. What Christian belief does Hanh refute in his article "Hope as an Obstacle"? Why is it important that Hanh included a Christian belief in his book?
5. Why should aimlessness be everyone's goal in life?
6. Describe the ritual of having a mindful family dinner.
7. In what year does Hanh first visit the United States? For what purpose? Why does he leave in 1963?
8. What do dishes symbolize in "Washing the Dishes"? What does dessert symbolize in this article?
9. According to Hanh, what is an inappropriate use for meditation? What harm might be possible from using it inappropriately?
10. What is the year and place of Hanh's birth? What are two of Hanh's earliest connections to the Buddhist faith?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)