|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "Driving Meditation", where can happiness always be found?
(a) In nature.
(b) While driving.
(c) In the present moment.
(d) Within oneself.
2. What location is the birthplace of Thich Nhat Hanh?
(a) Western China.
(b) Central Vietnam.
(c) New York City.
(d) Tokyo, Japan.
3. According to Hanh's story about an arguing couple, what is the first step to healing?
(a) Respect for others.
(d) Conscious breathing.
4. Who smiles at Buddha?
(a) H.H. the Dalai Lama.
(b) No one.
(c) The book's author.
5. What is essential to productivity?
(a) Linking the mind and body.
(b) Nimble body movements.
(d) Quick thinking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first monk to ride a bicycle in Vietnam?
2. Who smiles at the flower?
3. What is Hanh remembered for at the end of the Editor's Introduction?
4. According to the Editor's Introduction, what method of obtaining peace is part of Thich Nhat Hanh's teachings?
5. What two conscious actions should precede taking a bite of food?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the benefits of conscious breathing?
2. How does the term departmentalization apply to most people's attitude towards meditation? Why is the attitude incorrect? How can society benefit by an attitude adjustment?
3. What are the bells of mindfulness? What everyday sounds might be used as bells? List additional bells that are not mentioned in the book that could be used.
4. What conclusion can the reader draw about Hanh's personal beliefs in his teachings from the bicycle anecdote?
5. What qualities does the dandelion possess that makes it a good choice as the recipient of lost smiles?
6. Explain the process of conscious breathing. What is its purpose?
7. How does Hanh simplify the process of conscious breathing so that it is an easy practice?
8. How does Hanh show his true Buddhist nature in "Telephone Meditation"?
9. Explain the statement, "'Peace is Every Step' is a book of reminders."
10. In what year does Hanh first visit the United States? For what purpose? Why does he leave in 1963?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)