|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes us to lose touch with the peace that is available each moment?
(a) Self-centered thoughts.
(b) Lack of honesty.
(c) Rush of modern life.
(d) Indifference to others.
2. According to Hanh, for what should one NOT use meditation?
(a) As a health remedy.
(b) As a panacea.
(c) As an escape from problems.
(d) An a sleep aid.
3. What community is established by Hanh a hundred miles southwest of Paris?
(a) Le Casserole.
(b) Sweet Potato.
(c) Left Bank.
(d) Sweet Pears.
4. Who/what is one never able to escape?
(d) One's self.
5. What benefits can be found only in oneself?
(a) Joy and peace.
(b) Love and joy.
(c) Peace and respect.
(d) Enlightenment and peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hanh, what is the result of realizing the present moment?
2. What does the author suggest using as a bell of mindfulness when driving in Montreal?
3. Who presents a smile openly without any goal?
4. What act does Hanh's teaching center around?
5. What is the origin of a smile?
Short Essay Questions
1. What qualities does the dandelion possess that makes it a good choice as the recipient of lost smiles?
2. How does the process of conscious breathing affect one's work?
3. What is the Buddhist word for aimlessness? How does this word further extend the theme of living in the present?
4. What are the benefits of conscious breathing?
5. According to Hanh, what is an inappropriate use for meditation? What harm might be possible from using it inappropriately?
6. Which peace activist nominates Hanh for the Nobel Peace Prize? In what year does the nomination occur? Why does this individual nominate Hanh?
7. Explain the process of conscious breathing. What is its purpose?
8. What is the year and place of Hanh's birth? What are two of Hanh's earliest connections to the Buddhist faith?
9. What are the bells of mindfulness? What everyday sounds might be used as bells? List additional bells that are not mentioned in the book that could be used.
10. What Christian belief does Hanh refute in his article "Hope as an Obstacle"? Why is it important that Hanh included a Christian belief in his book?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)