|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What benefits can be found only in oneself?
(a) Enlightenment and peace.
(b) Love and joy.
(c) Peace and respect.
(d) Joy and peace.
2. According to the author, which rite is a wonderful practice of mindfulness that Jesus used to awaken his disciples?
(a) The Eucharist.
3. According to Hanh, for what should one NOT use meditation?
(a) An a sleep aid.
(b) As a panacea.
(c) As an escape from problems.
(d) As a health remedy.
4. Who/what is one never able to escape?
(d) One's self.
5. Who smiles at Buddha?
(a) No one.
(b) H.H. the Dalai Lama.
(c) The book's author.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two purposes are fulfilled by washing dishes?
2. In "Eating Mindfully", what is the purpose of eating?
3. According to the author, when is peace present?
4. What two conscious actions should precede taking a bite of food?
5. What body position does Hanh recommend for meditation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the ritual of having a mindful family dinner.
2. What is the year and place of Hanh's birth? What are two of Hanh's earliest connections to the Buddhist faith?
3. How does the term departmentalization apply to most people's attitude towards meditation? Why is the attitude incorrect? How can society benefit by an attitude adjustment?
4. Which peace activist nominates Hanh for the Nobel Peace Prize? In what year does the nomination occur? Why does this individual nominate Hanh?
5. What are the fundamental building blocks for harmony? How does creating harmony in one's own life benefit peace in the world?
6. Who is Thomas Merton? What is Merton's opinion of Hanh?
7. Explain the process of conscious breathing. What is its purpose?
8. How is Hanh's image as a forward thinker strengthened in "Driving Meditation"? How does his image affect his peers? What theme from the book is extended through the anecdote?
9. Why should aimlessness be everyone's goal in life?
10. What are the benefits of conscious breathing?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)