|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must one do before answering the telephone?
(b) Count to ten.
(c) Recite a mantra.
(d) Clear their throat.
2. What does Hanh synchronize with his movements of using a scythe?
(a) His breathing.
(b) His thoughts.
(c) His voice.
(d) His rest periods.
3. Which yoga position does Hanh recommend for meditation?
(a) The half-lotus.
(b) The Phoenix.
(c) The ashante.
(d) The full sun.
4. At the beginning of Part l, Chapter1, what gift is available to everyone upon waking up each morning?
(b) Twenty-four hours.
5. According to Hanh's story about an arguing couple, what is the first step to healing?
(b) Conscious breathing.
(c) Respect for others.
Short Answer Questions
1. What path does the atmosphere of peace travel?
2. Why is Hanh received enthusiastically in the West?
3. What is Hanh remembered for at the end of the Editor's Introduction?
4. What group might react strongly to Hanh's views on hope?
5. In "Cookie of Childhood", who gives Hanh a cookie to savor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theme is expressed in "Look into Your Hand"? Following the theme's message, why should one never feel lonely?
2. What is the year and place of Hanh's birth? What are two of Hanh's earliest connections to the Buddhist faith?
3. What is the Buddhist concept of "interbeing?" Hanh gives an example of interbeing by stating that poverty cannot exist without wealth. Give at least two other similar examples.
4. What do dishes symbolize in "Washing the Dishes"? What does dessert symbolize in this article?
5. What counting analogy could be compared to Hanh's breathing mindfully when one feels anger rising?
6. According to Hanh, what is an inappropriate use for meditation? What harm might be possible from using it inappropriately?
7. Explain the two kinds of pollution that Hanh discusses in "Ecology of Mind".
8. What are the fundamental building blocks for harmony? How does creating harmony in one's own life benefit peace in the world?
9. How does Hanh show his true Buddhist nature in "Telephone Meditation"?
10. Describe the ritual of having a mindful family dinner.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)