|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when one mindfully recognizes anger?
(a) Anger loses its power.
(b) Anger changes to love.
(c) Anger changes to compassion.
(d) Anger changes to a solution.
2. Why does looking into his own hand keep the man from feeling lonely?
(a) He is reminded of his place in the universe.
(b) He remembers his mother.
(c) He remembers his faith.
(d) He realizes all things are connected.
3. What do large family units provide?
(a) Less stressful environment for working parents.
(b) Safety for children of suffering parents.
(c) Acceptance of the elderly.
(d) Childcare while parents work.
4. In which river did the author wash his face?
(a) The Mississippi River.
(b) The Nile River.
(c) The Ohio River.
(d) The Charles River.
5. According to Hanh's "Look into Your Hand", what can be found in a single person?
(c) All things.
6. What technique discussed in "Cooking the Potato" transforms anger into a positive force?
7. How many years does it take for nuclear waste to become a flower?
(a) One half of a million.
(b) Infinitely many.
(c) One quarter of a million.
(d) One million.
8. What is the basis for real strength when one tries to make a change in the world?
(a) Deep inner peace.
9. What should one do as angry feelings subside?
(a) Observe mindfully.
(b) Breathe consciously.
(c) Nurture the anger.
(d) Examine the source.
10. In "Transforming Feelings", who/what is analogous to emotion?
(b) The mother.
(c) The crying child.
11. In "Transforming Feelings", who/what symbolizes mindfulness?
(a) The crying child.
(b) The reader.
(c) The mother.
12. What can be transformed into healthy energy by recognizing that it is part of oneself?
(a) Unpleasant emotions.
(b) Neutral emotions.
(d) Pleasant emotions.
13. According to Hanh's "Internal Formations", what forms within one's emotional consciousness as a result of anger?
(b) Emotional scars.
(c) Health issues.
14. According to Hanh, what would improve the power of hugging?
(a) Combining hugging with mindful breathing.
(b) Hugging only when the feeling is shared.
(c) Combining hugging with a smile.
(d) Hugging only when the feeling is genuine.
15. What connection is made to one's parents as one looks in a mirror?
(a) The gifts from the parents of body, mind, and spirit.
(b) One's own failings are similar to those of the parents.
(c) The love one feels for the parents.
(d) The gift of continuity passed on by one's parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Hanh give for the abuse of children at their own parents' hands?
2. For whom should one feel compassion?
3. What is the Buddhist term for understanding completely?
4. What becomes of a beautiful cut rose after it dies?
5. After realizing that the person expressing anger has experienced abuse, illness, or a setback, what can one learn to feel?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)