|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hanh's attitude towards the Western tradition of hugging?
2. What would have prevented the tremendous amount of destruction in Vietnam?
(a) An American vision of duality.
(b) A Vietnamese vision of non-duality.
(c) An American vision of non-duality.
(d) A Vietnamese vision of duality.
3. According to Hanh, what are most individuals willing to find out about an issue?
(a) The villain who created the problem
(b) The source of the problem.
(c) The solution to the problem.
(d) Their friends' stance on the issue.
4. What is Hanh's definition of compassion?
(a) The ability to remove suffering from another person.
(b) Understanding why another is suffering.
(c) Offering to help in another's suffering.
(d) Feeling the intensity of another's suffering.
5. What term means "the essence of a person's true nature"?
6. Which of these is NOT a component for the extension of mindful living into the world?
(d) Conscious breathing.
7. What do negative feelings leave behind if they are not faced?
(a) Destructive feelings, thoughts, and behaviors.
(b) Relief, acceptance, and peace.
(c) Positive acceptance.
8. Which of these dissolves anger?
9. What seeds do most individuals focus on in their lives?
(a) Positive seeds.
(b) Positive and negative seeds.
(c) Negative seeds.
(d) No seeds.
10. According to Hanh, what would improve the power of hugging?
(a) Combining hugging with mindful breathing.
(b) Combining hugging with a smile.
(c) Hugging only when the feeling is shared.
(d) Hugging only when the feeling is genuine.
11. For whom should one feel compassion?
(a) Those who suffer and those who cause us to suffer.
(b) Only those who do not cause us to suffer.
(c) Only those who suffer.
(d) Only those who are truly grateful.
12. According to Hanh, what can break the "cycle of transmission"?
(a) Wisdom of our elders.
(c) Mindful living.
(d) Intense therapy.
13. In the story "Look into Your Hand", who told the young man to look at his hand?
(b) His mother.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His father.
14. At the beginning of Chapter 51, Hanh introduces the word interbeing. What is the meaning of this word?
(a) All things are connected.
(b) All things exist in harmony.
(c) All things are sources of energy.
(d) All things are sacred.
15. Which plant is used in Hanh's story about people looking for the reason why it failed to grow?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years does it take for nuclear waste to become a flower?
2. What is the result of compassion towards another who is suffering?
3. Which river, supposedly, contains enough chemicals to develop photographs?
4. According to the chapter "The Roots of Anger", where does the source of anger usually reside?
5. In which river did the author wash his face?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)