|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Hanh in "The River of Feelings", how many types of feelings do humans experience throughout life?
(a) Infinitely many.
2. What else must exist for wealth to be possible in the world?
3. What connection is made to one's parents as one looks in a mirror?
(a) The love one feels for the parents.
(b) The gift of continuity passed on by one's parents.
(c) One's own failings are similar to those of the parents.
(d) The gifts from the parents of body, mind, and spirit.
4. What must occur before one understands another person?
(a) One must develop mindfulness.
(b) One must suffer the other's sufferings.
(c) One must love unconditionally.
(d) One must seek guidance from religion.
5. What do negative feelings leave behind if they are not faced?
(a) Positive acceptance.
(b) Destructive feelings, thoughts, and behaviors.
(c) Relief, acceptance, and peace.
6. What is the Buddhist term for understanding completely?
7. In the story "Look into Your Hand", who told the young man to look at his hand?
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
8. What should mindful living not do?
(a) Try to cure all suffering.
(b) Intrude on others' beliefs.
(c) Insulate one from all suffering.
(d) Blind one from seeing real problems in the world.
9. What makes it more possible for one to sustain action for a worthy cause?
(a) Mindful living.
(b) The ability to be flexible.
(c) The fruits of meditation.
10. According to Hanh, what would improve the power of hugging?
(a) Combining hugging with a smile.
(b) Combining hugging with mindful breathing.
(c) Hugging only when the feeling is shared.
(d) Hugging only when the feeling is genuine.
11. In which river did the author wash his face?
(a) The Ohio River.
(b) The Mississippi River.
(c) The Charles River.
(d) The Nile River.
12. What should one do as angry feelings subside?
(a) Examine the source.
(b) Breathe consciously.
(c) Observe mindfully.
(d) Nurture the anger.
13. What can happen when one observes parents with compassion?
(a) One can avoid repeating the cycle.
(b) One can forgive them their wrongs.
(c) One finds joy and peace.
(d) One can understand the wrongs of the parents.
14. According to Hanh in "Mindfulness of Anger", what kind of problems does anger create?
(a) Health problems.
(b) Self-control problems.
(c) Self-esteem problems.
(d) Relationship problems.
15. What simple practice should one do when anger begins to rise?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the fruits of meditation?
2. What groups comprise large family units, which for the most part, have now disbanded?
3. What reason does Hanh give for the abuse of children at their own parents' hands?
4. Which river, supposedly, contains enough chemicals to develop photographs?
5. According to Hanh's "Internal Formations", what forms within one's emotional consciousness as a result of anger?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)