|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is living in the present essential after experiencing negative feelings?
(a) Knots can be identified as they form.
(b) Knots can help solve the issue.
(c) Knots disappear.
(d) Knots will dissipate the anger.
2. What can happen when one observes parents with compassion?
(a) One can avoid repeating the cycle.
(b) One finds joy and peace.
(c) One can understand the wrongs of the parents.
(d) One can forgive them their wrongs.
3. Which of these is NOT a component for the extension of mindful living into the world?
(d) Conscious breathing.
4. What gift does holding a grandchild give to the grandparent?
(d) Great joy.
5. What does Hanh view as the best investment one can make?
(a) Nurturing one's spiritual interests.
(b) Cultivating a lifelong commitment.
(c) Maintaining one's health.
(d) Cultivating a relationship with a friend.
6. According to Hanh, what are most individuals willing to find out about an issue?
(a) The solution to the problem.
(b) The source of the problem.
(c) The villain who created the problem
(d) Their friends' stance on the issue.
7. Who used mindful living in Vietnam to act on the suffering of others?
(a) The author and his monastic fellows.
(b) The South Vietnamese.
(c) The author.
(d) The Dalai Lama.
8. What are most individuals unwilling to do about an issue?
(a) Not blame others for the problem.
(b) Admit their role in the issue.
(c) Change the situation to solve the problem.
(d) Forget their unpleasant feelings.
9. Which river, supposedly, contains enough chemicals to develop photographs?
(a) The Charles River.
(b) The Rhine River.
(c) The Nile River.
(d) The Mississippi River.
10. What is Hanh's attitude towards the Western tradition of hugging?
11. What are the fruits of meditation?
(a) Mindfulness, clarity, and patience.
(b) Peace, joy, and clarity.
(c) Clarity, determination, and patience.
(d) Clarity, determination, and peace.
12. Which plant is used in Hanh's story about people looking for the reason why it failed to grow?
13. According to Hanh in "Mindfulness of Anger", what kind of problems does anger create?
(a) Self-control problems.
(b) Self-esteem problems.
(c) Health problems.
(d) Relationship problems.
14. What happens when one is cut off from nature?
15. How many years does it take for nuclear waste to become a flower?
(a) Infinitely many.
(b) One quarter of a million.
(c) One half of a million.
(d) One million.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do negative feelings leave behind if they are not faced?
2. For whom should one feel compassion?
3. In the story "Look into Your Hand", who told the young man to look at his hand?
4. What seeds do most individuals focus on in their lives?
5. What simple practice should one do when anger begins to rise?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)