|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Hanh's "Internal Formations", what forms within one's emotional consciousness as a result of anger?
(c) Health issues.
(d) Emotional scars.
2. What is Hanh's attitude towards the Western tradition of hugging?
3. How should individuals react to unpleasant feelings?
(a) Reject the emotions.
(b) Ignore the emotions.
(c) Cling to the emotions.
(d) Face the emotions.
4. What gift does holding a grandchild give to the grandparent?
(a) Great joy.
5. What term means "the essence of a person's true nature"?
6. What is Hanh's attitude towards the Western cultures' treatment of parents?
(a) He is elated.
(b) He is tolerant.
(c) He is saddened.
(d) He is infuriated.
7. What do positive seeds produce?
(a) More positive seeds.
(b) Happy thoughts.
(c) Mindful living.
8. What are most individuals unwilling to do about an issue?
(a) Not blame others for the problem.
(b) Forget their unpleasant feelings.
(c) Change the situation to solve the problem.
(d) Admit their role in the issue.
9. In Hanh's analogy of viruses and antibodies, what role(s) do the negative seeds play?
10. What groups comprise large family units, which for the most part, have now disbanded?
(a) Parents, children, grandparents, and aunts.
(b) Parents, children, grandparents, and great grandparents.
(c) Parents, children, grandparents, aunts, and uncles.
(d) Parents, children, and grandparents.
11. Why is living in the present essential after experiencing negative feelings?
(a) Knots will dissipate the anger.
(b) Knots disappear.
(c) Knots can be identified as they form.
(d) Knots can help solve the issue.
12. Who used mindful living in Vietnam to act on the suffering of others?
(a) The author.
(b) The Dalai Lama.
(c) The South Vietnamese.
(d) The author and his monastic fellows.
13. Which of these dissolves anger?
14. According to Hanh's "Nourishing of Healthy Seeds", what are the two levels of consciousness?
(a) Seeds and awareness.
(b) Seeds and their manifestation.
(c) Mindfulness and manifestation.
(d) Planting and harvesting.
15. Which of these is NOT a component for the extension of mindful living into the world?
(a) Conscious breathing.
Short Answer Questions
1. After realizing that the person expressing anger has experienced abuse, illness, or a setback, what can one learn to feel?
2. According to Hanh's "Look into Your Hand", what can be found in a single person?
3. According Hanh, if one item is removed from the universe, how many others will cease to exist?
4. According to Hanh, what are most individuals willing to find out about an issue?
5. What must occur before one understands another person?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)