|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can one use daily as a reminder to stop and breathe mindfully?
2. What causes us to lose touch with the peace that is available each moment?
(a) Rush of modern life.
(b) Lack of honesty.
(c) Self-centered thoughts.
(d) Indifference to others.
3. Who was the first monk to ride a bicycle in Vietnam?
(a) H.H. the Dalai Lama.
(b) Thich Nguyen.
(c) Nhat Hanh Nguyen.
(d) Thich Nhat Hanh.
4. What body position does Hanh recommend for meditation?
(a) Lying parallel to the Earth.
(b) Sitting upright in a chair.
(c) Sitting cross-legged on a cushion.
(d) Sitting on the ground facing the sun.
5. In which yoga position are the legs crossed by placing both feet on opposite knees?
(a) The half-lotus.
(b) The ashante.
(c) The full sun.
(d) The full lotus.
6. What act does Hanh's teaching center around?
(a) Thoughtful praying.
(b) Conscious breathing.
(c) Frequent reflecting.
(d) Selective speaking.
7. According to Hanh in "Aimlessness", what does the current culture promote?
(c) Constant activity.
8. What enables one to become a real person?
(a) Practicing mindfulness.
(b) Smiling at others.
(c) Greeting others.
(d) Studying the classics.
9. According to Hanh, how many rings should one allow before answering the telephone?
10. What is Hanh remembered for at the end of the Editor's Introduction?
(a) His academic journals.
(b) His dedication to enlighten others.
(c) His ability to empathize with the world's poor.
(d) His contribution to the literary world.
11. According to Hanh, what is the result of realizing the present moment?
(a) A chance to clear the mind.
(b) A chance to be happy now.
(c) A chance to be happy in the future.
(d) A chance to eradicate the past.
12. If one lives without awareness, who/what do the people around us become?
13. What does practicing conscious breathing unify?
(a) The mind and emotions.
(b) The mind and soul.
(c) The soul and body.
(d) The mind and body.
14. Who is Thomas Merton?
(a) A Catholic monk.
(b) A social advocate.
(c) A Tibetan monk.
(d) A world leader.
15. What kind of lighting should be in a family meditation room?
(b) Bright lighting.
(c) Dim lighting.
(d) No lighting.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Hanh's presence still felt in Vietnam?
2. What two conscious actions should precede taking a bite of food?
3. What is the background for Hanh's religious training?
4. According to Hanh, where can one meditate?
5. According to Hanh, what is often a barrier to happiness?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)