|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group might react strongly to Hanh's views on hope?
2. What location is the birthplace of Thich Nhat Hanh?
(a) New York City.
(b) Central Vietnam.
(c) Western China.
(d) Tokyo, Japan.
3. According to Hanh, what effect does watching violence on television have on an individual?
(a) It creates fear.
(b) It creates loneliness and desperation.
(c) It creates confusion and loneliness.
(d) It creates instability.
4. According to Hanh, what is the result of realizing the present moment?
(a) A chance to be happy now.
(b) A chance to eradicate the past.
(c) A chance to be happy in the future.
(d) A chance to clear the mind.
5. What should a driver do when caught by a stop light?
(a) Think about the destination.
(b) Sit back and smile.
(c) Meditate on yesterday's trip.
(d) Listen to music.
6. What does the author suggest using as a bell of mindfulness when driving in Montreal?
(a) "Je me souviens" license plate.
(b) Train tracks.
(c) Stop signs.
(d) Car horn.
7. Which techniques can help individuals heal themselves emotionally and psychologically?
(a) Conscious breathing and meditating.
(b) Conscious living and breathing.
(c) Meditating and mindful living.
(d) Conscious breathing and mindful living.
8. In which yoga position are the legs crossed by placing both feet on opposite knees?
(a) The ashante.
(b) The full sun.
(c) The half-lotus.
(d) The full lotus.
9. At what university did Hanh tell the teachers and students to pause after a bell sounds?
(a) University of California.
(b) University of Colorado.
(c) Harvard University.
(d) McGill University.
10. What is essential to productivity?
(a) Nimble body movements.
(b) Quick thinking.
(c) Linking the mind and body.
11. What body position does Hanh recommend for meditation?
(a) Sitting cross-legged on a cushion.
(b) Sitting on the ground facing the sun.
(c) Sitting upright in a chair.
(d) Lying parallel to the Earth.
12. What happens when one stops seeking benefits from life?
(a) One gains available benefits.
(b) One realizes benefits do not exist.
(c) One finds hope.
(d) One gains a better attitude.
13. Who was the first monk to ride a bicycle in Vietnam?
(a) Thich Nhat Hanh.
(b) Nhat Hanh Nguyen.
(c) H.H. the Dalai Lama.
(d) Thich Nguyen.
14. What community is established by Hanh a hundred miles southwest of Paris?
(a) Le Casserole.
(b) Sweet Potato.
(c) Left Bank.
(d) Sweet Pears.
15. According to the Editor's Introduction, what method of obtaining peace is part of Thich Nhat Hanh's teachings?
(a) Creating personal wealth.
(b) Accepting one's social status.
(c) Loving all people.
(d) Living mindfully.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hanh, which of the following is a non-sound?
2. What does Hanh compare to windows?
3. If one lives without awareness, who/what do the people around us become?
4. According to Hanh's story about an arguing couple, what is the first step to healing?
5. In "Bells of Mindfulness", what must everyone make time for, according to Hanh?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)