|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Thomas Merton?
(a) A Tibetan monk.
(b) A Catholic monk.
(c) A social advocate.
(d) A world leader.
2. What is the goal of meditation?
(a) Purification throughout the day.
(b) Purification during meditation and throughout the day.
(c) Purification during stressful times.
(d) Purification during meditation.
3. What can one use daily as a reminder to stop and breathe mindfully?
4. According to the author, when is peace present?
(a) Today and the future.
(b) At death.
(c) Here and now.
(d) At birth.
5. What is Gethsemani?
(a) A monastery.
(b) A college.
(c) A sacred rock.
(d) An isolated forest.
6. What bodily process does conscious breathing slow down?
7. According to Hanh's story about an arguing couple, what is the first step to healing?
(a) Conscious breathing.
(d) Respect for others.
8. What does Hanh compare to windows?
9. Who was the first monk to ride a bicycle in Vietnam?
(a) Thich Nguyen.
(b) Nhat Hanh Nguyen.
(c) H.H. the Dalai Lama.
(d) Thich Nhat Hanh.
10. What enables one to become a real person?
(a) Smiling at others.
(b) Practicing mindfulness.
(c) Greeting others.
(d) Studying the classics.
11. What must one do before answering the telephone?
(a) Count to ten.
(c) Recite a mantra.
(d) Clear their throat.
12. At the beginning of Part l, Chapter1, what gift is available to everyone upon waking up each morning?
(a) Twenty-four hours.
13. What is Hanh's synonym for aimlessness?
14. What act does Hanh's teaching center around?
(a) Thoughtful praying.
(b) Frequent reflecting.
(c) Selective speaking.
(d) Conscious breathing.
15. What organization is formed by Hanh in 1964?
(a) The little Peace Corps.
(b) The Salvation Army.
(c) The School for Social Awareness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the fundamental basics of peace?
2. In "Conscious Breathing", which two words can be used to facilitate being mindful of breathing?
3. What is mouth yoga?
4. What does practicing conscious breathing unify?
5. Before making a phone call, what should one do?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)