|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the first monk to ride a bicycle in Vietnam?
(a) H.H. the Dalai Lama.
(b) Thich Nguyen.
(c) Nhat Hanh Nguyen.
(d) Thich Nhat Hanh.
2. According to Hanh, what effect does watching violence on television have on an individual?
(a) It creates loneliness and desperation.
(b) It creates fear.
(c) It creates instability.
(d) It creates confusion and loneliness.
3. What is the background for Hanh's religious training?
4. What enables one to become a real person?
(a) Greeting others.
(b) Studying the classics.
(c) Smiling at others.
(d) Practicing mindfulness.
5. At the beginning of Part l, Chapter1, what gift is available to everyone upon waking up each morning?
(c) Twenty-four hours.
6. According to the author, when is peace present?
(a) Here and now.
(b) Today and the future.
(c) At death.
(d) At birth.
7. What does Hanh synchronize with his movements of using a scythe?
(a) His breathing.
(b) His rest periods.
(c) His voice.
(d) His thoughts.
8. What does Hanh compare to windows?
9. In "Bells of Mindfulness", what must everyone make time for, according to Hanh?
(a) To pray when church bells ring.
(b) To enjoy bells.
(c) To honor all bells.
(d) To listen to non-sounds.
10. According to Hanh, which of the following is a non-sound?
(a) A falling leaf.
(b) A ray of sunshine.
(c) A car buzzer.
(d) A telephone ring.
11. What two purposes are fulfilled by washing dishes?
(a) Clean dishes and a tidy kitchen.
(b) Clean dishes and time to daydream.
(c) Clean dishes and a better attitude.
(d) Clean dishes and mindful living.
12. Who presents a smile openly without any goal?
(b) A child.
(c) A monk.
(d) The Dalai Lama.
13. What is often forgotten when one approaches life with a constant goal in mind?
(a) Important relationships.
(c) Mindful living.
14. If one lives without awareness, who/what do the people around us become?
15. What must one do before answering the telephone?
(a) Clear their throat.
(b) Recite a mantra.
(d) Count to ten.
Short Answer Questions
1. What community is established by Hanh a hundred miles southwest of Paris?
2. Who/what is one never able to escape?
3. What organization is formed by Hanh in 1964?
4. According to the author, which rite is a wonderful practice of mindfulness that Jesus used to awaken his disciples?
5. What should a driver do when caught by a stop light?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)