|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What should a driver do when caught by a stop light?
(a) Sit back and smile.
(b) Listen to music.
(c) Think about the destination.
(d) Meditate on yesterday's trip.
2. What must one do before answering the telephone?
(a) Clear their throat.
(b) Count to ten.
(c) Recite a mantra.
3. According to Hanh, which of the following is a non-sound?
(a) A telephone ring.
(b) A car buzzer.
(c) A ray of sunshine.
(d) A falling leaf.
4. How is Hanh's presence still felt in Vietnam?
(a) Handwritten copies of his books are illegally circulated there.
(b) The Hanh Library is located in Vietnam.
(c) His contributions to peace are taught in Vietnam's schools.
(d) He visits Vietnam often to lecture.
5. How many times should one breathe in and out before making a phone call?
6. What does Hanh compare to windows?
7. What is Hanh remembered for at the end of the Editor's Introduction?
(a) His ability to empathize with the world's poor.
(b) His contribution to the literary world.
(c) His academic journals.
(d) His dedication to enlighten others.
8. What are the spiritual friends that Hanh uses on his mindfulness path?
(a) Meditations and bells.
(b) Dirty dishes, red lights, and traffic jams.
(c) Quiet surroundings, and meditations.
(d) Dirty dishes and bells.
9. What invitation does the author give to the reader at the end of the first section?
(a) To ask a friend to read along, too.
(b) To reflect on the past.
(c) To begin a diary of the reader's journey.
(d) To return to the present moment and find peace and joy.
10. What group might react strongly to Hanh's views on hope?
11. At the time of this book's printing, how many square miles of forestland had been destroyed by acid rain, partly because of cars?
(a) One hundred thousand.
(b) Two million.
(c) Three million.
(d) Five million.
12. What is often forgotten when one approaches life with a constant goal in mind?
(b) Important relationships.
(d) Mindful living.
13. If one lives without awareness, who/what do the people around us become?
14. When we walk hurriedly, what imprints are left on the Earth?
(a) Love and friendship.
(b) Anxiety and sorrow.
(c) Hatred and despair.
(d) Peace and joy.
15. What is Gethsemani?
(a) An isolated forest.
(b) A college.
(c) A monastery.
(d) A sacred rock.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hanh, what effect does watching violence on television have on an individual?
2. In "Cookie of Childhood", who gives Hanh a cookie to savor?
3. What organization is formed by Hanh in 1964?
4. Where is Gethsemani?
5. What phrase is used in the Editor's Introduction to describe "Peace is Every Step"?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)