|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Conscious Breathing", which two words can be used to facilitate being mindful of breathing?
(a) Peace and joy.
(b) In and out.
(c) Inhale and exhale.
(d) Love and harmony.
2. In "Present Moment, Wonderful Moment", where is the perfect place to practice conscious breathing?
(a) In church.
(c) In solitude.
(d) In nature.
3. What resources are used in the creation of "Peace is Every Step"?
(a) .Conversations with Hanh's friends and family.
(b) Hanh's lectures, writings, and conversations.
(c) Hanh's personal diary and scholarly books.
(d) Academic journals.
4. If one lives without awareness, who/what do the people around us become?
5. What becomes available when we quiet our distracted thinking?
(a) Contentment and security.
(b) Peace and happiness.
(c) Patience and kindness.
(d) Love and health.
6. According to the foreword, what is the only way to bring about world peace?
(a) Internal transformation of the individual.
(b) World peace demonstrations.
(c) Education of the masses.
(d) The destruction of the atomic bomb.
7. What can one use daily as a reminder to stop and breathe mindfully?
8. Who is Thomas Merton?
(a) A Catholic monk.
(b) A social advocate.
(c) A world leader.
(d) A Tibetan monk.
9. According to Hanh in "Aimlessness", what does the current culture promote?
(b) Constant activity.
10. What kind of lighting should be in a family meditation room?
(a) No lighting.
(c) Bright lighting.
(d) Dim lighting.
11. What causes us to lose touch with the peace that is available each moment?
(a) Lack of honesty.
(b) Indifference to others.
(c) Rush of modern life.
(d) Self-centered thoughts.
12. Before making a phone call, what should one do?
(a) Breathe consciously and smile.
(b) Envision the person one is calling.
(c) Smile and recite a mantra.
(d) Breathe consciously and pause.
13. According to a poem in this section, who/what now has the poet's lost smile?
(a) A chirping bird.
(b) The rose.
(c) A dandelion.
(d) The sunshine.
14. Who/what is one never able to escape?
(c) One's self.
15. According to Hanh, how many rings should one allow before answering the telephone?
Short Answer Questions
1. At what university did Hanh tell the teachers and students to pause after a bell sounds?
2. In which yoga position are the legs crossed by placing both feet on opposite knees?
3. According to Hanh, where can one meditate?
4. What does the author suggest using as a bell of mindfulness when driving in Montreal?
5. According to the author, which rite is a wonderful practice of mindfulness that Jesus used to awaken his disciples?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)