|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What path does the atmosphere of peace travel?
(a) Family, individual, community, world.
(b) Individual, family, world, community.
(c) Individual, family, community, world.
(d) World, community, family, individual.
2. What are the spiritual friends that Hanh uses on his mindfulness path?
(a) Meditations and bells.
(b) Dirty dishes and bells.
(c) Dirty dishes, red lights, and traffic jams.
(d) Quiet surroundings, and meditations.
3. What causes us to lose touch with the peace that is available each moment?
(a) Lack of honesty.
(b) Indifference to others.
(c) Self-centered thoughts.
(d) Rush of modern life.
4. In "Eating Mindfully", what is the purpose of eating?
(a) To eat.
(b) For pleasure.
(c) For nourishment.
(d) To relax.
5. What happens when one stops seeking benefits from life?
(a) One gains a better attitude.
(b) One realizes benefits do not exist.
(c) One gains available benefits.
(d) One finds hope.
6. According to Hanh in "Aimlessness", what does the current culture promote?
(b) Constant activity.
7. Why does one sometimes go for a drive unnecessarily?
(a) To quiet the bells.
(b) To maintain the car.
(c) To enjoy nature.
(d) To escape oneself.
8. Who presents a smile openly without any goal?
(b) The Dalai Lama.
(c) A child.
(d) A monk.
9. What technique may be used to force the thought process to focus?
(b) A mantra.
(c) Dim lighting.
(d) Nature sounds.
10. What does practicing conscious breathing unify?
(a) The soul and body.
(b) The mind and body.
(c) The mind and emotions.
(d) The mind and soul.
11. According to a poem in this section, who/what now has the poet's lost smile?
(a) A dandelion.
(b) A chirping bird.
(c) The sunshine.
(d) The rose.
12. What organization is formed by Hanh in 1964?
(a) The little Peace Corps.
(c) The Salvation Army.
(d) The School for Social Awareness.
13. What two purposes are fulfilled by washing dishes?
(a) Clean dishes and mindful living.
(b) Clean dishes and a better attitude.
(c) Clean dishes and a tidy kitchen.
(d) Clean dishes and time to daydream.
14. What group might react strongly to Hanh's views on hope?
15. What happens when one gets back in touch with one's self?
(a) A positive attitude evolves.
(b) Problems seem less worrisome.
(c) Life's present moment is more easily encountered.
(d) Selfish attitudes cease to exist.
Short Answer Questions
1. While driving, what can be used as a bell of mindfulness?
2. If one lives without awareness, who/what do the people around us become?
3. What location is the birthplace of Thich Nhat Hanh?
4. What is the goal of meditation?
5. Who is Thomas Merton?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)