|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Thomas Merton?
(a) A world leader.
(b) A social advocate.
(c) A Catholic monk.
(d) A Tibetan monk.
2. Which yoga position does Hanh recommend for meditation?
(a) The half-lotus.
(b) The Phoenix.
(c) The ashante.
(d) The full sun.
3. If one lives without awareness, who/what do the people around us become?
4. What act does Hanh's teaching center around?
(a) Selective speaking.
(b) Conscious breathing.
(c) Frequent reflecting.
(d) Thoughtful praying.
5. According to Hanh, how many rings should one allow before answering the telephone?
6. Who/what is one never able to escape?
(c) One's self.
7. What does the author suggest using as a bell of mindfulness when driving in Paris?
(a) Stop sign.
(b) "Je me souviens" license plate.
(c) Yield sign.
(d) Car horn.
8. At the beginning of Part l, Chapter1, what gift is available to everyone upon waking up each morning?
(a) Twenty-four hours.
9. Why does one sometimes go for a drive unnecessarily?
(a) To enjoy nature.
(b) To escape oneself.
(c) To quiet the bells.
(d) To maintain the car.
10. Where is Gethsemani?
(b) New Delhi, India.
(c) Louisville, Kentucky.
(d) New York City.
11. Who presents a smile openly without any goal?
(a) The Dalai Lama.
(c) A monk.
(d) A child.
12. In "Present Moment, Wonderful Moment", where is the perfect place to practice conscious breathing?
(a) In nature.
(b) In church.
(c) In solitude.
13. According to "Driving Meditation", where can happiness always be found?
(a) Within oneself.
(b) In nature.
(c) While driving.
(d) In the present moment.
14. While driving, what can be used as a bell of mindfulness?
(a) A car horn.
(b) A speed limit sign.
(c) A red light.
(d) A yield sign.
15. According to Hanh in "Aimlessness", what does the current culture promote?
(c) Constant activity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first monk to ride a bicycle in Vietnam?
2. What enables one to become a real person?
3. What can one use daily as a reminder to stop and breathe mindfully?
4. What two purposes are fulfilled by washing dishes?
5. Who nominates Hanh for the 1966 Nobel Prize?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)