|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the origin of a smile?
(a) A loving heart.
(b) An awakened mind.
(d) A peaceful heart.
2. Who smiles at the flower?
(c) H.H. the Dalai Lama.
(d) Another monk.
3. Who is Thomas Merton?
(a) A Tibetan monk.
(b) A social advocate.
(c) A world leader.
(d) A Catholic monk.
4. What is often forgotten when one approaches life with a constant goal in mind?
(b) Mindful living.
(c) Important relationships.
5. Which techniques can help individuals heal themselves emotionally and psychologically?
(a) Conscious breathing and mindful living.
(b) Conscious living and breathing.
(c) Conscious breathing and meditating.
(d) Meditating and mindful living.
6. How is Hanh's presence still felt in Vietnam?
(a) His contributions to peace are taught in Vietnam's schools.
(b) He visits Vietnam often to lecture.
(c) Handwritten copies of his books are illegally circulated there.
(d) The Hanh Library is located in Vietnam.
7. What invitation does the author give to the reader at the end of the first section?
(a) To reflect on the past.
(b) To return to the present moment and find peace and joy.
(c) To ask a friend to read along, too.
(d) To begin a diary of the reader's journey.
8. Which mantra during conscious breathing relaxes the body?
(a) "Breathing in, I calm my body."
(b) "Breathing out, I release the negatives."
(c) "Breathing in, I am happy."
(d) "Breathing out, I smile."
9. What is the goal of meditation?
(a) Purification during meditation and throughout the day.
(b) Purification during stressful times.
(c) Purification throughout the day.
(d) Purification during meditation.
10. What happens when one stops seeking benefits from life?
(a) One gains a better attitude.
(b) One realizes benefits do not exist.
(c) One finds hope.
(d) One gains available benefits.
11. What technique may be used to force the thought process to focus?
(a) Dim lighting.
(c) A mantra.
(d) Nature sounds.
12. According to a poem in this section, who/what now has the poet's lost smile?
(a) The sunshine.
(b) The rose.
(c) A dandelion.
(d) A chirping bird.
13. What does the author suggest using as a bell of mindfulness when driving in Montreal?
(a) Stop signs.
(b) Car horn.
(c) Train tracks.
(d) "Je me souviens" license plate.
14. According to Hanh in "Aimlessness", what does the current culture promote?
(c) Constant activity.
15. What phrase is used in the Editor's Introduction to describe "Peace is Every Step"?
(a) Joyful book art.
(b) Book of peace.
(c) Life's handbook for peace.
(d) Book of reminders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before making a phone call, what should one do?
2. According to Hanh, what is the result of realizing the present moment?
3. What kind of lighting should be in a family meditation room?
4. In "Eating Mindfully", what is the purpose of eating?
5. According to Hanh, what is often a barrier to happiness?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)