|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Hanh, what items should be in a family meditation room?
(a) Cushions and a vase of flowers.
(b) Cushions, a candle, and a bell.
(c) Cushions and a bell.
(d) Cushions, a bell, and a vase of flowers.
2. What community is established by Hanh a hundred miles southwest of Paris?
(a) Sweet Potato.
(b) Le Casserole.
(c) Left Bank.
(d) Sweet Pears.
3. What act does Hanh's teaching center around?
(a) Frequent reflecting.
(b) Conscious breathing.
(c) Thoughtful praying.
(d) Selective speaking.
4. How many times should one breathe in and out before making a phone call?
5. Which mantra during conscious breathing relaxes the body?
(a) "Breathing out, I release the negatives."
(b) "Breathing out, I smile."
(c) "Breathing in, I calm my body."
(d) "Breathing in, I am happy."
6. What is Hanh remembered for at the end of the Editor's Introduction?
(a) His contribution to the literary world.
(b) His academic journals.
(c) His dedication to enlighten others.
(d) His ability to empathize with the world's poor.
7. Who presents a smile openly without any goal?
(a) A monk.
(b) The Dalai Lama.
(c) A child.
8. What location is the birthplace of Thich Nhat Hanh?
(a) Tokyo, Japan.
(b) New York City.
(c) Western China.
(d) Central Vietnam.
9. Who/what is one never able to escape?
(c) One's self.
10. What should a driver do when caught by a stop light?
(a) Think about the destination.
(b) Sit back and smile.
(c) Listen to music.
(d) Meditate on yesterday's trip.
11. What technique may be used to force the thought process to focus?
(a) A mantra.
(c) Nature sounds.
(d) Dim lighting.
12. According to Hanh, which of the following is a non-sound?
(a) A telephone ring.
(b) A falling leaf.
(c) A car buzzer.
(d) A ray of sunshine.
13. What does the author suggest using as a bell of mindfulness when driving in Montreal?
(a) Train tracks.
(b) "Je me souviens" license plate.
(c) Car horn.
(d) Stop signs.
14. In "Conscious Breathing", which two words can be used to facilitate being mindful of breathing?
(a) Inhale and exhale.
(b) Peace and joy.
(c) In and out.
(d) Love and harmony.
15. If one lives without awareness, who/what do the people around us become?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who smiles at the flower?
2. What body position does Hanh recommend for meditation?
3. In which yoga position are the legs crossed by placing both feet on opposite knees?
4. According to Hanh, what is often a barrier to happiness?
5. What becomes available when we quiet our distracted thinking?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)