|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When we walk hurriedly, what imprints are left on the Earth?
(a) Anxiety and sorrow.
(b) Peace and joy.
(c) Hatred and despair.
(d) Love and friendship.
2. What must one do before answering the telephone?
(a) Count to ten.
(b) Clear their throat.
(d) Recite a mantra.
3. According to the author, which rite is a wonderful practice of mindfulness that Jesus used to awaken his disciples?
(d) The Eucharist.
4. Who was the first monk to ride a bicycle in Vietnam?
(a) H.H. the Dalai Lama.
(b) Nhat Hanh Nguyen.
(c) Thich Nhat Hanh.
(d) Thich Nguyen.
5. According to Hanh, which of the following is a non-sound?
(a) A falling leaf.
(b) A car buzzer.
(c) A telephone ring.
(d) A ray of sunshine.
6. In "Bells of Mindfulness", what must everyone make time for, according to Hanh?
(a) To pray when church bells ring.
(b) To enjoy bells.
(c) To honor all bells.
(d) To listen to non-sounds.
7. Who presents a smile openly without any goal?
(b) The Dalai Lama.
(c) A child.
(d) A monk.
8. According to the author, when is peace present?
(a) At death.
(b) Today and the future.
(c) Here and now.
(d) At birth.
9. What group might react strongly to Hanh's views on hope?
10. According to a poem in this section, who/what now has the poet's lost smile?
(a) The rose.
(b) A dandelion.
(c) The sunshine.
(d) A chirping bird.
11. What path does the atmosphere of peace travel?
(a) Family, individual, community, world.
(b) World, community, family, individual.
(c) Individual, family, world, community.
(d) Individual, family, community, world.
12. Which yoga position does Hanh recommend for meditation?
(a) The Phoenix.
(b) The full sun.
(c) The half-lotus.
(d) The ashante.
13. Who is Thomas Merton?
(a) A world leader.
(b) A social advocate.
(c) A Catholic monk.
(d) A Tibetan monk.
14. What can one use daily as a reminder to stop and breathe mindfully?
15. What two conscious actions should precede taking a bite of food?
(a) Pausing, then smelling the food's aroma.
(b) Saying grace and smiling.
(c) Sitting down, then closing one's eyes.
(d) Breathing and smiling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the background for Hanh's religious training?
2. What benefits can be found only in oneself?
3. What does Hanh synchronize with his movements of using a scythe?
4. Who smiles at the flower?
5. Which mantra during conscious breathing relaxes the body?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)