|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Cookie of Childhood", who gives Hanh a cookie to savor?
(a) His friend.
(b) His brother.
(c) His mother.
(d) His grandmother.
2. What kind of lighting should be in a family meditation room?
(a) Bright lighting.
(b) Dim lighting.
(c) No lighting.
3. What technique may be used to force the thought process to focus?
(a) Nature sounds.
(b) A mantra.
(d) Dim lighting.
4. Why is Hanh received enthusiastically in the West?
(a) His continued efforts to bring peace to Vietnam.
(b) His ablility to walk calmly with peace and awareness.
(c) His personal realtionships with influential leaders.
(d) His belief in isolationism.
5. What does practicing conscious breathing unify?
(a) The mind and body.
(b) The mind and emotions.
(c) The soul and body.
(d) The mind and soul.
6. Where is Gethsemani?
(b) Louisville, Kentucky.
(c) New York City.
(d) New Delhi, India.
7. While driving, what can be used as a bell of mindfulness?
(a) A car horn.
(b) A red light.
(c) A speed limit sign.
(d) A yield sign.
8. What enables one to become a real person?
(a) Greeting others.
(b) Practicing mindfulness.
(c) Smiling at others.
(d) Studying the classics.
9. What is the origin of a smile?
(a) A loving heart.
(b) An awakened mind.
(d) A peaceful heart.
10. What two conscious actions should precede taking a bite of food?
(a) Saying grace and smiling.
(b) Pausing, then smelling the food's aroma.
(c) Sitting down, then closing one's eyes.
(d) Breathing and smiling.
11. According to the Editor's Introduction, what method of obtaining peace is part of Thich Nhat Hanh's teachings?
(a) Creating personal wealth.
(b) Living mindfully.
(c) Accepting one's social status.
(d) Loving all people.
12. What is often forgotten when one approaches life with a constant goal in mind?
(b) Important relationships.
(d) Mindful living.
13. In which yoga position are the legs crossed by placing both feet on opposite knees?
(a) The half-lotus.
(b) The full lotus.
(c) The ashante.
(d) The full sun.
14. According to the author, which rite is a wonderful practice of mindfulness that Jesus used to awaken his disciples?
(a) The Eucharist.
15. What does the author suggest using as a bell of mindfulness when driving in Montreal?
(a) Train tracks.
(b) "Je me souviens" license plate.
(c) Car horn.
(d) Stop signs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase is used in the Editor's Introduction to describe "Peace is Every Step"?
2. What are the spiritual friends that Hanh uses on his mindfulness path?
3. What act does Hanh's teaching center around?
4. What does Hanh compare to windows?
5. What is the goal of meditation?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)