|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which techniques can help individuals heal themselves emotionally and psychologically?
(a) Meditating and mindful living.
(b) Conscious breathing and mindful living.
(c) Conscious living and breathing.
(d) Conscious breathing and meditating.
2. If one lives without awareness, who/what do the people around us become?
3. What is the goal of meditation?
(a) Purification during meditation.
(b) Purification during stressful times.
(c) Purification throughout the day.
(d) Purification during meditation and throughout the day.
4. In "Cookie of Childhood", who gives Hanh a cookie to savor?
(a) His friend.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His brother.
(d) His mother.
5. According to Hanh, where can one meditate?
6. According to "Driving Meditation", where can happiness always be found?
(a) Within oneself.
(b) In the present moment.
(c) While driving.
(d) In nature.
7. In "Flower Insights" who holds a flower before the monks?
(a) The book's author.
(d) H.H. the Dalai Lama.
8. According to Hanh, what items should be in a family meditation room?
(a) Cushions, a candle, and a bell.
(b) Cushions and a bell.
(c) Cushions and a vase of flowers.
(d) Cushions, a bell, and a vase of flowers.
9. What is Hanh's synonym for aimlessness?
10. What causes us to lose touch with the peace that is available each moment?
(a) Self-centered thoughts.
(b) Indifference to others.
(c) Rush of modern life.
(d) Lack of honesty.
11. What is the background for Hanh's religious training?
12. Who/what is one never able to escape?
(b) One's self.
13. According to the Editor's Introduction, what method of obtaining peace is part of Thich Nhat Hanh's teachings?
(a) Creating personal wealth.
(b) Living mindfully.
(c) Loving all people.
(d) Accepting one's social status.
14. What happens when one gets back in touch with one's self?
(a) Life's present moment is more easily encountered.
(b) A positive attitude evolves.
(c) Selfish attitudes cease to exist.
(d) Problems seem less worrisome.
15. What phrase is used in the Editor's Introduction to describe "Peace is Every Step"?
(a) Life's handbook for peace.
(b) Book of reminders.
(c) Joyful book art.
(d) Book of peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Bells of Mindfulness", what must everyone make time for, according to Hanh?
2. Why does one sometimes go for a drive unnecessarily?
3. What does practicing conscious breathing unify?
4. In "Conscious Breathing", which two words can be used to facilitate being mindful of breathing?
5. In "Tangerine Meditation", who is reflecting on the tangerine's origin?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)