|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Sawi men build on the Kronkel river under Richardson's guidance?
2. What is Don Richardson's first order of business with the Sawi tribe?
3. How does Mavo respond to the protection and kindness which Richardson shows to him?
4. Why is Beray not welcoming to the men from Wiyar?
5. Who is Biakadon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What have the Sawi built in the time after modern life and Christianity have come to them?
2. What does Mahaen think the underlying reason for "gefam asan" is?
3. When Don Richardson shares the story of Jesus with the Sawi men, what is their reaction?
4. What are the four levels of despair in the Sawi ritual of "gefam asan"?
5. What does Richardson see in the ritual of the Sawi peace child which gives him hope about sharing his Christian message with the villagers?
6. Why does Carol's warm wash water have black specks in it?
7. What surprises Richardson about the Sawi language?
8. What does Kimi come to do to Warahai?
9. What does Richardson see as the true battle in Chapter 13, War at my Door?
10. What is the Sawidome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why have the Sawi people been so protected from the modern world and its technological advances? Write an essay which explores both the physical reasons (geography), lifestyle, and world view of the Sawi culture which has kept it at such a remote distance.
Essay Topic 2
Cross-cultural communication has always been part of human life. In recent times, however, with our ability to travel so easily and quickly, the mixing of cultures has become commonplace. Richardson was working with the Sawi people at a time when travel was becoming very accessible. What are the ethical issues of influencing another culture? Does Richardson have the right to intrude upon the Sawi people? Is it his responsibility to share valuable wisdom with people who have not been exposed to ideas which can bring peace and understanding in new ways?
Essay Topic 3
Metaphor has often been used to explain life and death. How does the metaphor of Christian resurrection and Sawi "remon" parallel each other? What natural phenomenon do they both use to explain rebirth?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)