|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Sawi people so upset with Don Richardson over his actions with Warahai?
2. Who is willing to give up his only son?
3. What medicine do the Richardsons have which saves the lives of Mavu, Nair and Paha?
4. What does Richardson believe keeps true peace from existing among Sawi people?
5. Do the Sawi men believe their children are strong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peace Child is what Richardson calls a "redemptive analogy." What does he mean by this? What is the redemptive story that Richardson is trying to teach them and why does the Sawi ritual of the Peace Child provide a connection? What does the peace child represent for the Sawi people? For Richardson?
Essay Topic 2
Richardson believes that change is inevitable for the Sawi people. How do the changes which he encouraged prepare them for the modern world that would soon descend upon them? Is there a choice for the Sawi people? Would the old ways have vanished no matter what? If a culture loses its world view and religion, does it lose its essence? Or can it retain its identity and absorb a new world view? Can the Sawi be Sawi without their religion, cannibalistic practices and headhunting?
Essay Topic 3
What is Don Richardson's goal in coming to live with the Sawi people? He states that he is not interested in simply signing up converts or even in teaching the next generation Christian principals and behavior. What does he want? And why?
This section contains 1,549 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)