|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who actually completes the murder of Yae?
2. How many treehouses are there, in total, in the Mauro village?
3. What do the Sawi warriors do when they meet Don Richardson and John McCain for the first time?
4. Who is building Richardson's house?
5. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about the jungle frightens Don Richardson?
2. What does the chapter title mean?
3. For his journey to Haenam, Yae dresses in a very careful way. What are some of the underlying meanings which his clothing convey?
4. What is Ebenezer Vine trying to accomplish with his lecture tour?
5. What are some of the fears which the Sawi people have about the Tuans?
6. What do the young 7-month-old Stephen and the grown Sawi man Narai have in common?
7. How is the boar killed?
8. What does the village of Mauro look like?
9. What do the elders Kigo, Hato and Numu do with the gifts they receive from the Tuans who are on the boat?
10. What are the Sawi concerned about when Richardson takes a bath in the Kronkel river?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of a Sawi person's day is spent gathering or hunting food. Families are mutually dependent upon each other for daily survival. What impact does this type of lifestyle have upon the Sawi family structure? What shape does a typical Sawi family take and is it a stable unit? What examples do you find in the book to support your conclusion?
Essay Topic 2
Why have the Sawi people been so protected from the modern world and its technological advances? Write an essay which explores both the physical reasons (geography), lifestyle, and world view of the Sawi culture which has kept it at such a remote distance.
Essay Topic 3
Every culture has rituals for the process of death, dying and grief. What specifically are the Sawi rituals for each of these stages? What beliefs are these rituals based on?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)