|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year do the Richardsons go to New Guinea?
2. What is the name of the sea which the Kronkel river empties into?
3. What flag flies on the deck of the "super canoe"?
4. Yae's young brother Sao is ill. What is his sickness?
5. What is unique about the kidari along the Kronkel river?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Sawi people see Kani and Mahean as the epitome of manhood?
2. What do the elders Kigo, Hato and Numu do with the gifts they receive from the Tuans who are on the boat?
3. What does the chapter title mean?
4. Why does Wario, Mahaen's mother-in-law, agree to be part of Kani's terrible revenge plot?
5. What is the key concept from Christianity that the missionary family uses to teach the Sawi people another way to live?
6. Why does the ecstatic Sawi communal expression of "hahap kaman" so deeply affect Richardson?
7. What do the Richardsons find surprising and difficult about the Sawi people?
8. Why does Richardson title this chapter "Baptism of Strangeness"?
9. Who are the people that the author is going to work with?
10. What is Ebenezer Vine trying to accomplish with his lecture tour?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Richardson's agenda is to share the Christian gospel with the Sawi people which he believes will transform their violent culture into a more peaceful one. There are many obstacles, however. What obstacle does language present to him? Even more troubling for Richardson is the lack of cultural parallels between the Judeo-Christian world view and the Sawi world view. Write about the difference of introducing Christianity into a Jewish culture vs. introducing Christianity into the Sawi culture.
Essay Topic 2
Richardson has a theory that the distance between the Sawi culture and his own can be bridged if he can find an analogy between the two. What is a cultural analogy? What is the bridge that Richardson finds? How does he recognize it?
Essay Topic 3
Why have the Sawi people been so protected from the modern world and its technological advances? Write an essay which explores both the physical reasons (geography), lifestyle, and world view of the Sawi culture which has kept it at such a remote distance.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)