|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Netherlands New Guinea, or Irian Jaya as it is later called, located in relation to Australia?
2. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in our present world?
3. What is "saravon"?
4. What is the ancient Sawi custom of "waness"?
5. What does Narai do when he sees the arrival of the Richardsons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wario, Mahaen's mother-in-law, agree to be part of Kani's terrible revenge plot?
2. What does the village of Mauro look like?
3. Why is the sound of the diesel boat engines so frightening?
4. How is the boar killed?
5. How does Kauwan display "saravon," a customary display of force, and why does he do this when Yae arrives at the village of Haenam?
6. What kinds of weapons does Yae take on the trip?
7. What is Ebenezer Vine trying to accomplish with his lecture tour?
8. Why does Richardson title this chapter "Baptism of Strangeness"?
9. What was the moment in which Yae realizes that he has been tricked?
10. Who are the people that the author is going to work with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The shift of government from the remote Dutch authorities to the more present Indonesian authorities brings tremendous change to the Sawi people. What does Richardson say about that change? How and why is that change so dramatic?
Essay Topic 2
Why have the Sawi people been so protected from the modern world and its technological advances? Write an essay which explores both the physical reasons (geography), lifestyle, and world view of the Sawi culture which has kept it at such a remote distance.
Essay Topic 3
It takes a great deal of intelligence to survive in the jungle without modern technology. Yet we often describe cultures like the Sawi tribe as "primitive." What is the difference between the kind of intelligence it takes for a Sawi family to survive in a stone age civilization and the kind of intelligence it takes to graduate from an American university? Are there different kinds of knowledge? Is a Sawi person more observant than the typical American student or less? How would a modern American student fare if set in the jungle with stone tools? How would a Sawi person do in high school or college? Write an essay contemplating Sawi intelligence.
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)