|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Sawi men build on the Kronkel river under Richardson's guidance?
(a) A small island made of concrete.
(b) A huge raft made of ironwood poles.
(c) A 110-foot iron bridge.
(d) A breakwater barrier.
2. When the Richardsons, Winifred and Mavo fall off the capsized dugout and into the Kronkel river, what happens first?
(a) Crocodiles immediately surround them.
(b) Richardson rescues Stephen.
(c) Winifred and Mavo go back to the dugout and Mavo climbs on top of it.
(d) Carol swims to the bank with her infant child.
3. What does Don Richardson say to the battling warriors?
(a) "Get out of my front yard!"
(b) "Es! That's enough!"
(c) "No more steel tools unless you stop!"
(d) "There is another way!"
4. Who is the woman, once beautiful, now covered in mud, weeping and wailing in grief?
(a) Carol, Don Richardson's wife.
(b) Wumi, mother of a peace child.
(c) Mary, mother of Jesus.
(d) Watiro, one of the leading women in Kamur.
5. Why is Richardson shocked by the dead man Warahai's condition?
(a) Warahai is still conscious, has a faint pulse and is breathing.
(b) Warahai has been dead many days.
(c) Warahai has been eaten by crocodiles.
(d) Warahai has been wrapped in sago leaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the relatives of Warahai doing to his body now that they believe his soul has left?
2. What do Aham and Richardson have in common?
3. What does Richardson believe is stopping the Sawi people from following the Christian path?
4. Who reads the Christmas scripture at the worship service?
5. What does the word "navo" mean in Sawi?
Short Essay Questions
1. A Sawi woman dies in childbirth along with the twins that she gives birth to. What do the Sawi believe about twins?
2. What does Mahaen think the underlying reason for "gefam asan" is?
3. What is "aumamay"?
4. What is the custom of fighting as described in Chapter 13, War at my Door?
5. What happens when the Richardson family and their Sawi friends capsized in the dugout?
6. What surprises Richardson about the Sawi language?
7. Who is Biakadon?
8. What does Richardson promise to teach the Sawi Christians?
9. What does the phrase "cool water" mean in the Sawi language?
10. When Don Richardson shares the story of Jesus with the Sawi men, what is their reaction?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)