|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it so important to Richardson that the patriarchs, the older men, convert to Christianity?
(a) Because the patriarchs can read and write and will spread the gospel.
(b) Because the patriarchs control all the money.
(c) Because the patriarchs of the tribe hold much influence over the rest of the people.
(d) Because Richardson believes only men can lead spiritually.
2. What is "aumamay"?
(a) The Sawi believe it is the only way to go to heaven.
(b) The Sawi believe it is a state of spiritual confusion.
(c) The Sawi believe it is the power of the River God Tatau visited upon the living.
(d) The Sawi believe it is "apparent life" when the body still lives but the soul is gone.
3. What do the women do during battle?
(a) The women throw stones and sharp rocks at the enemy.
(b) The women shield the children.
(c) The women curse and bang their pounding sticks on the ground.
(d) The women taunt their own men to be more brave.
4. Why does Amio want Hurip to die?
(a) Hurip owes Amio much money and will not pay.
(b) Hurip tried to kill Amio earlier in the day.
(c) Hurip killed the peace child which Hato, Amio's father, gave to the Kayagar.
(d) Hurip is his father's uncle and not to be trusted.
5. Why are the Sawi people so upset with Don Richardson over his actions with Warahai?
(a) Richardson is trying to save a bad man.
(b) Richardson is not allowing them to carry out their death and dying rituals.
(c) Richardson is not allowing the rain gods to bring nourishment to the jungle.
(d) Richardson is keeping the village from going on a wild boar hunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gifts are given among the Sawi people at this first Christmas?
2. How many teachers are working in the new Sawi school?
3. In 1963 who does the Dutch government begin to give control of the Netherlands New Guinea to?
4. What two villages are fighting on the Tuan's doorstep?
5. Mahean is the first to step forward to try to carry out the peace child ritual. What stops him?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)