|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hato say about God?
(a) "God must not care for us if such things happen."
(b) "God must be very, very far away."
(c) "God does not know what he is doing."
(d) "God must have been sad just like me."
2. What do the Sawi people build for a dead person?
(a) A gravehouse above ground.
(b) A stone covered dugout which will sink to the bottom of the Kronkel.
(c) A sarcophagus.
(d) A raft to send them down the river.
3. What is Aham's role in the village?
(a) She is a naturopath.
(b) She is the leader of the women.
(c) She is a herbalist.
(d) She is a sorceresses who has visions of spiritual events.
4. Who is the first patriarch in the Sawi tribe to convert to Christianity?
5. What is Don Richardson most shocked to discover about the Sawi people?
(a) That they honor cruelty.
(b) That they often get lost.
(c) That they honor goodness and light.
(d) That they eat no fruit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What machine does the Richardson family have that is very mysterious to the Sawi people?
2. How does Mavo respond to the protection and kindness which Richardson shows to him?
3. Why is Hato so filled with grief?
4. What does the word "navo" mean in Sawi?
5. Who is Biakadon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carol's warm wash water have black specks in it?
2. A Sawi woman dies in childbirth along with the twins that she gives birth to. What do the Sawi believe about twins?
3. What does "my liver trembles" mean in the Sawi idiom?
4. What is "aumamay"?
5. Why is the arrival of Hurip, the injured Kayagar, such a challenge?
6. What does Richardson see as the true battle in Chapter 13, War at my Door?
7. In May of 1963 what happened to the government of New Guinea?
8. What does the phrase "cool water" mean in the Sawi language?
9. What does Mahaen think the underlying reason for "gefam asan" is?
10. When Don Richardson shares the story of Jesus with the Sawi men, what is their reaction?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)