|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Sawi people call Jesus?
(a) Tahari Tamala, the spirit who rises again.
(b) Tarap Tim Kodon, the perfect peace child.
(c) Tawanda Tahoi, the one who is beyond reach.
(d) Jesus the Tailor, the one who makes us new.
2. What is the third level of despair?
(a) Setting the dead person's body onto a river raft, loaded with stones.
(b) Plunging one's hand deep into the putrid body cavity of the dead person.
(c) Throwing the bones of the deceased upon the death camp bonfire.
(d) Standing for several hours absolutely still, next to the body.
3. What fruits and flowers do the missionaries introduce to the Sawi?
(a) Peaches, sago and apricots.
(b) Apple trees, green beans, potatoes and tomatoes.
(c) Watermelon, oranges and grapefruit.
(d) Pineapple, coconut palms, lemon trees and hibiscus.
4. In 1963 who does the Dutch government begin to give control of the Netherlands New Guinea to?
(a) Through the Geneva Accord they give control to the Sawi.
(b) Through the United Nations they transfer control to Indonesian sovereignty.
(c) Through the League of Nations they give control to the United States.
(d) Through the World Court they give control to Australia.
5. What is Don Richardson's first order of business with the Sawi tribe?
(a) To cure the sick and heal the lame.
(b) To convert the children to Christianity.
(c) To establish trading alliances with neighboring tribes.
(d) To learn the Sawi language.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pigs are being cooked on this first Christmas?
2. What does Richardson conclude has been the reason Sawi people have survived so long?
3. What does Hato say about God?
4. What does Don Richardson say to the battling warriors?
5. How does the author describe a Sawi manhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Richardsons conclude about the ongoing violence which they face amid the combined Sawi village communities?
2. When Don Richardson shares the story of Jesus with the Sawi men, what is their reaction?
3. How do the Sawi people know that Warahai's soul has left his body?
4. A Sawi woman dies in childbirth along with the twins that she gives birth to. What do the Sawi believe about twins?
5. What does "my liver trembles" mean in the Sawi idiom?
6. Who is Biakadon?
7. What does Mahaen think the underlying reason for "gefam asan" is?
8. Why is the arrival of Hurip, the injured Kayagar, such a challenge?
9. What surprises Richardson about the Sawi language?
10. What happens when the Richardson family and their Sawi friends capsized in the dugout?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)