|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stands at the front of the battle, on the front line, so to speak?
(a) The women.
(b) The jesters and clowns are sent to the front to distract.
(c) The most experienced warriors.
(d) The young teenage boys.
2. What is Don Richardson's first order of business with the Sawi tribe?
(a) To learn the Sawi language.
(b) To cure the sick and heal the lame.
(c) To convert the children to Christianity.
(d) To establish trading alliances with neighboring tribes.
3. In the Sawi language, how many tenses does each verb have?
(a) Each verb has 103 tenses.
(b) Each verb has 19 tenses.
(c) Each verb has 3 tenses.
(d) Each verb has only 1 tense.
4. What is Aham's role in the village?
(a) She is a herbalist.
(b) She is the leader of the women.
(c) She is a sorceresses who has visions of spiritual events.
(d) She is a naturopath.
5. Who is Biakadon?
(a) The infant son of Kaiyo and Wumi.
(b) The leader of the Kumar village.
(c) The legendary god of the sea.
(d) The young man who works for the Richardsons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richardson believe keeps true peace from existing among Sawi people?
2. What do the Sawi people raise their children to be?
3. Where are dead bodies interred in a Sawi village?
4. How many people can be seated at a worship service inside the new Sawidome?
5. Do the Sawi men believe their children are strong?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 24, what does Richardson organize and describe that would have been impossible when he first arrived?
2. Who is Biakadon?
3. Why is the arrival of Hurip, the injured Kayagar, such a challenge?
4. What do the Richardsons conclude about the ongoing violence which they face amid the combined Sawi village communities?
5. What are the four levels of despair in the Sawi ritual of "gefam asan"?
6. When the Richardsons inform the Sawi leaders that they will be moving, what surprising response do they receive?
7. What does Kimi come to do to Warahai?
8. What does Richardson see in the ritual of the Sawi peace child which gives him hope about sharing his Christian message with the villagers?
9. What does Richardson promise to teach the Sawi Christians?
10. In May of 1963 what happened to the government of New Guinea?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)