|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Beray not welcoming to the men from Wiyar?
(a) Beray had been banished from Wiyar.
(b) They would not let him marry into the tribe.
(c) They had cannibalized his father six years earlier.
(d) Beray had recently been attacked by the Wiyar men.
2. What insult is hurtled at a Haenam youth which almost starts a serious battle?
(a) He is called "weird old man."
(b) He is called "lizard-skin."
(c) He is called "slow as mud."
(d) He is called "tuan like."
3. What ritual does "Eyes Red with Watching" in chapter 23 describe?
(a) The Sawi ritual of baptism.
(b) The Sawi ritual of sleeplessness.
(c) The Sawi ritual of new birth.
(d) The Sawi ritual of grief and veneration.
4. What are the two pillars Richardson refers to?
(a) The pillar of treacherous violence and the pillar of the peace child.
(b) The center two pillars which support the manhouse.
(c) The pillars of the Old Testament and the New Testament.
(d) The pillars of wealth and fame.
5. How does Mavo respond to the protection and kindness which Richardson shows to him?
(a) Mavo promises he will follow the Richardsons anywhere.
(b) Mavo leaves the area and travels to the nearest Dutch government outpost.
(c) Mavo gives Richardson one of his own children.
(d) Mavo converts to Christianity that evening.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many teachers are working in the new Sawi school?
2. What do the Sawi people call Jesus?
3. What do the Sawi men build on the Kronkel river under Richardson's guidance?
4. Why is it so important to Richardson that the patriarchs, the older men, convert to Christianity?
5. What does "my liver trembles" refer to?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Don Richardson shares the story of Jesus with the Sawi men, what is their reaction?
2. What is the custom of fighting as described in Chapter 13, War at my Door?
3. A Sawi woman dies in childbirth along with the twins that she gives birth to. What do the Sawi believe about twins?
4. Who is Biakadon?
5. What does Richardson see as the true battle in Chapter 13, War at my Door?
6. What does "my liver trembles" mean in the Sawi idiom?
7. How do the Sawi people know that Warahai's soul has left his body?
8. Who is God's "Tarop"?
9. What have the Sawi built in the time after modern life and Christianity have come to them?
10. What is "aumamay"?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)