|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Er when he makes advances towards a girl?
(a) He is forced to marry the girl.
(b) She accuses him of terrible things and he is banished.
(c) She chases him into the river.
(d) Her male relatives shoot him with arrows.
2. What does the word "navo" mean in Sawi?
(c) Help me.
3. Near the end of the book, Richardson describes a new place where the mission plane lands. What is that place?
(a) The long sago bridge.
(b) A floating bridge on the Kronkel.
(c) The recently built airstrip.
(d) An ocean carrier.
4. What is "aumamay"?
(a) The Sawi believe it is "apparent life" when the body still lives but the soul is gone.
(b) The Sawi believe it is the power of the River God Tatau visited upon the living.
(c) The Sawi believe it is the only way to go to heaven.
(d) The Sawi believe it is a state of spiritual confusion.
5. Why is Richardson so excited about the peace child ritual?
(a) He thinks it will make a good book.
(b) It shows the Sawi people are capable of understanding and practicing peace.
(c) He is not excited; he thinks it is all very hopeless and sad.
(d) He believes that Christianity must have been introduced to the Sawi long ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What insult is hurtled at a Haenam youth which almost starts a serious battle?
2. What is the second level of despair?
3. What does Richardson organize to celebrate his first Christmas with the Sawi?
4. What two villages are fighting on the Tuan's doorstep?
5. Who comes in a dugout to help the stranded party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Richardsons conclude about the ongoing violence which they face amid the combined Sawi village communities?
2. How do the Sawi people know that Warahai's soul has left his body?
3. What does "my liver trembles" mean in the Sawi idiom?
4. When the Richardsons inform the Sawi leaders that they will be moving, what surprising response do they receive?
5. What have the Sawi built in the time after modern life and Christianity have come to them?
6. A Sawi woman dies in childbirth along with the twins that she gives birth to. What do the Sawi believe about twins?
7. What does the phrase "cool water" mean in the Sawi language?
8. In May of 1963 what happened to the government of New Guinea?
9. What happens when the Richardson family and their Sawi friends capsized in the dugout?
10. What are the four levels of despair in the Sawi ritual of "gefam asan"?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)