|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author describe a Sawi manhouse?
(a) As a rundown, smoke-filled, unhealthy gathering place.
(b) As a den of inequity.
(c) As a library and movie theatre in the Sawi village.
(d) As the Parthenon of Sawi culture.
2. Who is the first patriarch in the Sawi tribe to convert to Christianity?
3. When the Richardsons, Winifred and Mavo fall off the capsized dugout and into the Kronkel river, what happens first?
(a) Carol swims to the bank with her infant child.
(b) Richardson rescues Stephen.
(c) Winifred and Mavo go back to the dugout and Mavo climbs on top of it.
(d) Crocodiles immediately surround them.
4. How does Mavo respond to the protection and kindness which Richardson shows to him?
(a) Mavo converts to Christianity that evening.
(b) Mavo leaves the area and travels to the nearest Dutch government outpost.
(c) Mavo gives Richardson one of his own children.
(d) Mavo promises he will follow the Richardsons anywhere.
5. What does Hato say about God?
(a) "God must have been sad just like me."
(b) "God must not care for us if such things happen."
(c) "God must be very, very far away."
(d) "God does not know what he is doing."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it so important to Richardson that the patriarchs, the older men, convert to Christianity?
2. What are the two pillars Richardson refers to?
3. What do the Sawi people call Jesus?
4. What does Richardson build after five years among the Sawi to replace his small thatchbox home?
5. What is the first thing Warahi says when he comes out of his coma?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Richardson about the Sawi language?
2. In Chapter 24, what does Richardson organize and describe that would have been impossible when he first arrived?
3. A Sawi woman dies in childbirth along with the twins that she gives birth to. What do the Sawi believe about twins?
4. Why is the arrival of Hurip, the injured Kayagar, such a challenge?
5. What does Richardson see as the true battle in Chapter 13, War at my Door?
6. What happens when the Richardson family and their Sawi friends capsized in the dugout?
7. When Don Richardson shares the story of Jesus with the Sawi men, what is their reaction?
8. What does the phrase "cool water" mean in the Sawi language?
9. What does Mahaen think the underlying reason for "gefam asan" is?
10. What is "aumamay"?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)