|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story about Jesus, who do the Sawi admire?
(a) Pontius Pilate.
(d) Mary Magdalene.
2. What is Don Richardson most shocked to discover about the Sawi people?
(a) That they honor cruelty.
(b) That they honor goodness and light.
(c) That they often get lost.
(d) That they eat no fruit.
3. What is Don Richardson's first order of business with the Sawi tribe?
(a) To learn the Sawi language.
(b) To convert the children to Christianity.
(c) To cure the sick and heal the lame.
(d) To establish trading alliances with neighboring tribes.
4. What do the Sawi people call Jesus?
(a) Tawanda Tahoi, the one who is beyond reach.
(b) Tahari Tamala, the spirit who rises again.
(c) Jesus the Tailor, the one who makes us new.
(d) Tarap Tim Kodon, the perfect peace child.
5. What do the Sawi men build on the Kronkel river under Richardson's guidance?
(a) A 110-foot iron bridge.
(b) A breakwater barrier.
(c) A small island made of concrete.
(d) A huge raft made of ironwood poles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Sawi people raise their children to be?
2. What does "Myao Kondon" mean?
3. Near the end of the book, Richardson describes a new place where the mission plane lands. What is that place?
4. Who is the woman, once beautiful, now covered in mud, weeping and wailing in grief?
5. In 1963 who does the Dutch government begin to give control of the Netherlands New Guinea to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richardson see in the ritual of the Sawi peace child which gives him hope about sharing his Christian message with the villagers?
2. What are the four levels of despair in the Sawi ritual of "gefam asan"?
3. What happens when the Richardson family and their Sawi friends capsized in the dugout?
4. How do the Sawi people know that Warahai's soul has left his body?
5. What have the Sawi built in the time after modern life and Christianity have come to them?
6. What ritual do the Sawi villagers engage in which inspires the title of this book?
7. What does Richardson promise to teach the Sawi Christians?
8. When the Richardsons inform the Sawi leaders that they will be moving, what surprising response do they receive?
9. What surprises Richardson about the Sawi language?
10. In Chapter 24, what does Richardson organize and describe that would have been impossible when he first arrived?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)