|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two villages are fighting on the Tuan's doorstep?
(a) The Kamur and Haenam villages are in battle.
(b) The Kayangar and the Sawi are in battle.
(c) The Sawi are fighting the Tuan.
(d) The Harasiomi and the Kaondahari are fighting.
2. What does Richardson believe keeps true peace from existing among Sawi people?
(a) The possibility of tusi asonai man.
(b) The fact that they are illiterate.
(c) The inability of the Sawi people to understand what peace is.
(d) The belief of the Sawi people in demons.
3. When the Richardsons, Winifred and Mavo fall off the capsized dugout and into the Kronkel river, what happens first?
(a) Winifred and Mavo go back to the dugout and Mavo climbs on top of it.
(b) Crocodiles immediately surround them.
(c) Richardson rescues Stephen.
(d) Carol swims to the bank with her infant child.
4. What do the Sawi men build on the Kronkel river under Richardson's guidance?
(a) A breakwater barrier.
(b) A 110-foot iron bridge.
(c) A small island made of concrete.
(d) A huge raft made of ironwood poles.
5. What does "gefam ason" mean?
(a) Tasting nothing.
(b) Paddling through the storm.
(c) Touching the stench.
(d) The end of the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "Myao Kondon" mean?
2. What does Don Richardson believe the real battle is about?
3. Who is willing to give up his only son?
4. Why is Hato so filled with grief?
5. What does Richardson build after five years among the Sawi to replace his small thatchbox home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Sawidome?
2. Who is Biakadon?
3. What does "my liver trembles" mean in the Sawi idiom?
4. What is the custom of fighting as described in Chapter 13, War at my Door?
5. What happens when the Richardson family and their Sawi friends capsized in the dugout?
6. A Sawi woman dies in childbirth along with the twins that she gives birth to. What do the Sawi believe about twins?
7. What does Mahaen think the underlying reason for "gefam asan" is?
8. What does Richardson see as the true battle in Chapter 13, War at my Door?
9. Why is the arrival of Hurip, the injured Kayagar, such a challenge?
10. What ritual do the Sawi villagers engage in which inspires the title of this book?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)