|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fruits and flowers do the missionaries introduce to the Sawi?
(a) Pineapple, coconut palms, lemon trees and hibiscus.
(b) Apple trees, green beans, potatoes and tomatoes.
(c) Peaches, sago and apricots.
(d) Watermelon, oranges and grapefruit.
2. In the story about Jesus, who do the Sawi admire?
(a) Mary Magdalene.
(c) Pontius Pilate.
3. Why is Warahai's mother crouched over the body of her son, covering his loins with her face and hands?
(a) She is performing "atama karun," an ancient Sawi ritual.
(b) She is trying to see if her son is still breathing.
(c) She is protecting them from being disfigured by the village.
(d) The Sawi believe that a soul sometimes lingers in the generative organs.
4. Why is Richardson shocked by the dead man Warahai's condition?
(a) Warahai has been dead many days.
(b) Warahai has been eaten by crocodiles.
(c) Warahai has been wrapped in sago leaves.
(d) Warahai is still conscious, has a faint pulse and is breathing.
5. Why is it so important to Richardson that the patriarchs, the older men, convert to Christianity?
(a) Because the patriarchs can read and write and will spread the gospel.
(b) Because the patriarchs of the tribe hold much influence over the rest of the people.
(c) Because Richardson believes only men can lead spiritually.
(d) Because the patriarchs control all the money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don Richardson believe the real battle is about?
2. What does Richardson organize to celebrate his first Christmas with the Sawi?
3. Who reads the Christmas scripture at the worship service?
4. What gifts are given among the Sawi people at this first Christmas?
5. Which two village groups need to make peace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mahaen think the underlying reason for "gefam asan" is?
2. What does Richardson see as the true battle in Chapter 13, War at my Door?
3. Who is God's "Tarop"?
4. What surprises Richardson about the Sawi language?
5. Who is Biakadon?
6. What is the custom of fighting as described in Chapter 13, War at my Door?
7. A Sawi woman dies in childbirth along with the twins that she gives birth to. What do the Sawi believe about twins?
8. Why is the arrival of Hurip, the injured Kayagar, such a challenge?
9. How do the Sawi people know that Warahai's soul has left his body?
10. What does Kimi come to do to Warahai?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)