|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the relatives of Warahai doing to his body now that they believe his soul has left?
(a) Burning him with coals, shouting his name and pinching him.
(b) Putting heavy stones on him in order to sink his body to the bottom of the river.
(c) Laying sago bread across his chest.
(d) Carrying him around the village on their shoulders.
2. What is "aumamay"?
(a) The Sawi believe it is a state of spiritual confusion.
(b) The Sawi believe it is "apparent life" when the body still lives but the soul is gone.
(c) The Sawi believe it is the only way to go to heaven.
(d) The Sawi believe it is the power of the River God Tatau visited upon the living.
3. What do Sawi people do if twins are born?
(a) They kill the second twin, believing it to be an evil spirit.
(b) They celebrate for many days, for they think it is very special.
(c) The second twin is ordained to be a tribal medicine man.
(d) They name them the same name, as they came at the same time.
4. What do the Sawi people build for a dead person?
(a) A sarcophagus.
(b) A gravehouse above ground.
(c) A raft to send them down the river.
(d) A stone covered dugout which will sink to the bottom of the Kronkel.
5. What do the women do during battle?
(a) The women taunt their own men to be more brave.
(b) The women throw stones and sharp rocks at the enemy.
(c) The women curse and bang their pounding sticks on the ground.
(d) The women shield the children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gifts are given among the Sawi people at this first Christmas?
2. What does "gefam ason" mean?
3. What have the Sawi villagers constructed around the Richardson home?
4. What machine does the Richardson family have that is very mysterious to the Sawi people?
5. What do the Sawi men build on the Kronkel river under Richardson's guidance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "aumamay"?
2. What do the Richardsons conclude about the ongoing violence which they face amid the combined Sawi village communities?
3. What does Richardson promise to teach the Sawi Christians?
4. How do the Sawi people know that Warahai's soul has left his body?
5. Why is the arrival of Hurip, the injured Kayagar, such a challenge?
6. What does Richardson see in the ritual of the Sawi peace child which gives him hope about sharing his Christian message with the villagers?
7. What happens when the Richardson family and their Sawi friends capsized in the dugout?
8. When the Richardsons inform the Sawi leaders that they will be moving, what surprising response do they receive?
9. What does the phrase "cool water" mean in the Sawi language?
10. Why does Carol's warm wash water have black specks in it?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)