|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many treehouses are there, in total, in the Mauro village?
(d) Seven hundred and fifty.
2. What does "Kanggime" mean in the language Dani?
(a) Land without time.
(b) Mission State.
(c) The place of death.
(d) Waiting until the sun comes up.
3. A typical stone axe would be swung 40 times to fell a tree. How many times does Hurip have to swing his steel axe to cut down the tree?
(b) Four times
(c) 39 times.
(d) 80 times.
4. How many wives does Yae's cousin Wasi have?
(d) Twenty five.
5. How old is Don Richardson when he first felt a spiritual call to serve God as a missionary?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the expression "to fatten with friendship for the slaughter" mean?
2. What vessel does the Richardson family use to arrive at their new home?
3. What flag flies on the deck of the "super canoe"?
4. Why are the Kayagar men upset with Richardson when he announces his intention to build a home in Sawi territory?
5. What year do the Richardsons go to New Guinea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in modern life?
2. How does Kauwan display "saravon," a customary display of force, and why does he do this when Yae arrives at the village of Haenam?
3. The Sawi people have a saying "the spirits have accepted our skin-grease in their rivers." What does this mean?
4. What are the Sawi concerned about when Richardson takes a bath in the Kronkel river?
5. What does the village of Mauro look like?
6. What is the key concept from Christianity that the missionary family uses to teach the Sawi people another way to live?
7. Why does Wario, Mahaen's mother-in-law, agree to be part of Kani's terrible revenge plot?
8. Why do the Sawi people see Kani and Mahean as the epitome of manhood?
9. What is Yae trying to do as he makes a journey to the nearby village of Haenam?
10. Why is the sound of the diesel boat engines so frightening?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)