|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does seven-month-old Stephen think of his first journey down the Kronkel river?
(a) Stephen is full of wonder and awe.
(b) Stephen is very frightened and cannot stop crying.
(c) Stephen sleeps the entire way.
(d) Stephen is bored and plays with his toys, rarely looking up.
2. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
(a) It means that they will someday go to heaven and be an angel.
(b) They are crossing a major threshold necessary to known the ultimate essence of their existence.
(c) It means they are now an adult.
(d) It means that they no longer belong to the tribe.
3. What does Narai do when he sees the arrival of the Richardsons?
(a) He sends a warning shot on the new gun that Richardson gave him.
(b) He sends up a flare to the other tribespeople.
(c) He blows a warning signal on his bamboo horn to the other tribespeople.
(d) He shoots a flaming arrow back towards the village.
4. What does "Kanggime" mean in the language Dani?
(a) Waiting until the sun comes up.
(b) The place of death.
(c) Land without time.
(d) Mission State.
5. How do Don and Carol Richardson travel to New Guinea in 1962?
(a) They sail from Vancouver on the ship "Oriana" and then fly into the interior.
(b) They drive from Canada to Mexico, take a small yacht across the Pacific Ocean and land in New Guinea.
(c) They fly to Russia and then to Zurich and then to Australia and finally take a sailboat up to New Guinea.
(d) They fly from New York City on the Concorde and then drive into the Sawi territory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the sea which the Kronkel river empties into?
2. What is Carol Richardson feeling as she steps onto the bank of her new home?
3. What does Hurip trade to obtain his "kapak," his steel ax?
4. What does the expression "to fatten with friendship for the slaughter" mean?
5. What do Sawi use to build the floors of their homes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of weapons does Yae take on the trip?
2. Why do the Sawi people see Kani and Mahean as the epitome of manhood?
3. What does the village of Mauro look like?
4. What is Yae trying to do as he makes a journey to the nearby village of Haenam?
5. Does Ebenezer Vine promise the students fame and fortune?
6. What does the chapter title mean?
7. What is Ebenezer Vine trying to accomplish with his lecture tour?
8. What tools appears in Chapter 12, Patriarch of the Tumdu, which are new to Sawi culture?
9. For his journey to Haenam, Yae dresses in a very careful way. What are some of the underlying meanings which his clothing convey?
10. Why is the sound of the diesel boat engines so frightening?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)