|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most powerful family relationship in Sawi culture?
(a) A man and his mother-in-law.
(b) A man and his wife.
(c) Brother to brother.
(d) A mother and her grandmother.
2. What is the name of the sea which the Kronkel river empties into?
(a) The Arafura Sea.
(b) The Atlantic Ocean.
(c) The Agramenon Basin.
(d) The Agrabar Waterway.
3. What is the Ironwood Curtain?
(a) It refers to that curtain which hangs between life and death.
(b) It means passing from the life of easy and plenty, where there is much light, to the darker world of the jungle.
(c) It refers to the border of iron which the Sawi people have erected around their territory.
(d) It means passing into the jungle that is full of trees which are called ironwood because of their dense hard wood.
4. What do Sawi men smoke in their pipes?
(a) Dried mushrooms.
(b) Sago leaves.
(c) Ground bones of wild boars.
(d) Tobacco leaves.
5. How does Richardson deal with the Kayagar chief, Yae, when the chief begins to speak loudly?
(a) Richardson hits Yae very hard with a pile driver.
(b) Richardson puts his hand on Yae's shoulder and speaks English in a soothing tone.
(c) Richardson gets the Sawi chief to fight Yae.
(d) Richardson gets on his knees and prays loudly for peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year do the Richardsons go to New Guinea?
2. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in our present world?
3. What is the Eren ceremony?
4. What does the high pitched command signal should happen?
5. What kind of flour do the Sawi women use to make bread?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the key concept from Christianity that the missionary family uses to teach the Sawi people another way to live?
2. What tools appears in Chapter 12, Patriarch of the Tumdu, which are new to Sawi culture?
3. Why is Narai waiting in the elephant grass, in his small dugout? What is his purpose and job to do on this auspicious day?
4. What about the jungle frightens Don Richardson?
5. What do the elders Kigo, Hato and Numu do with the gifts they receive from the Tuans who are on the boat?
6. What do the Richardsons find surprising and difficult about the Sawi people?
7. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in modern life?
8. For his journey to Haenam, Yae dresses in a very careful way. What are some of the underlying meanings which his clothing convey?
9. What was the moment in which Yae realizes that he has been tricked?
10. Why does Yae throw water from the river into the air in order to drink it?
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)