|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a good strategy for a Sawi village that wants to take revenge against another village?
(a) To make an alliance with a neutral village who will then help.
(b) To move far away and not look back.
(c) To let wild animals loose near the village they want to harm.
(d) To send many young women to the village and establish family ties.
2. What do the Sawi assume when they hear that the Tuans are almost all men?
(a) Tuans kill and eat their women.
(b) Tuans are supernatural and do not need to procreate.
(c) Tuans live forever and therefore do not need offspring.
(d) The men must fight to obtain wives since there are so few women.
3. What does Don Richardson do that frightens the Sawi people away from his house?
(a) He lights a kerosene lamp in the darkness.
(b) He shoots a shot gun in their direction.
(c) He eats brains.
(d) He throws a handful of firecrackers out of the front door.
4. How old is Don Richardson when he first felt a spiritual call to serve God as a missionary?
5. What does Hurip trade to obtain his "kapak," his steel ax?
(a) One of his children.
(b) Pork, fish and stone-tipped arrows.
(c) Gold and silver.
(d) Many months of work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these terms can be used to describe the tribe?
2. Why is Hadi so important to Don Richardson?
3. What does Richardson like about the possibility of building on the kidari?
4. What might a visitor in a Sawi village be offered as a snack?
5. What principle does Don Richardson believe God gives him to offer the tribal people?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Sawi people have a saying "the spirits have accepted our skin-grease in their rivers." What does this mean?
2. What about the jungle frightens Don Richardson?
3. How does Kauwan display "saravon," a customary display of force, and why does he do this when Yae arrives at the village of Haenam?
4. What do the elders Kigo, Hato and Numu do with the gifts they receive from the Tuans who are on the boat?
5. Why does Yae throw water from the river into the air in order to drink it?
6. What is Carol Richardson's reaction to the sight of 200 armed warriors and the women and children standing massed, awaiting their arrival?
7. Does Ebenezer Vine promise the students fame and fortune?
8. What does the village of Mauro look like?
9. What are the Sawi concerned about when Richardson takes a bath in the Kronkel river?
10. What are some of the fears which the Sawi people have about the Tuans?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)