|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Richardson feel when he first shakes hands with a Sawi elder?
(a) That these people are not to be trusted...ever...
(b) That the Sawi will never understand the way of the modern world.
(c) That the Sawi are very short but quite strong.
(d) That they are equally human...flesh and blood...men.
2. Who is building Richardson's house?
(a) The Sawi women are the builders of Richardson's home.
(b) Richardson brings in missionaries from all over New Guinea to build.
(c) Richardson builds the home by himself.
(d) Kayagar, Atohwaem and Sawi tribes, along with Richardson and McCain build the home.
3. Why is Yae going on a journey to the nearby village of Haenam?
(a) He is thinking of moving from Mauro to Haenam.
(b) He is trying to forge an alliance between his village, Mauro, and Haenam.
(c) He is campaigning for political office and needs the support of Haenam villagers.
(d) He is going to visit his mother who lives in Haenam.
4. Where is Yae sitting at the beginning of chapter one?
(a) Yae is sitting by the man-made pool in his backyard.
(b) Yae is sitting in a plane which is on its way to Istanbul.
(c) Yae is sitting in his treehouse, forty feet above the Kronkel river.
(d) Yae is sitting in the hospital where his wife is dying in childbirth.
5. What is a good strategy for a Sawi village that wants to take revenge against another village?
(a) To let wild animals loose near the village they want to harm.
(b) To move far away and not look back.
(c) To send many young women to the village and establish family ties.
(d) To make an alliance with a neutral village who will then help.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pounds does the average wild boar weigh?
2. Who is Ebenezer G. Vine?
3. What does "Kanggime" mean in the language Dani?
4. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
5. Where is Netherlands New Guinea, or Irian Jaya as it is later called, located in relation to Australia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Sawi people see Kani and Mahean as the epitome of manhood?
2. What is Yae trying to do as he makes a journey to the nearby village of Haenam?
3. What do the young 7-month-old Stephen and the grown Sawi man Narai have in common?
4. What is Ebenezer Vine trying to accomplish with his lecture tour?
5. What about the jungle frightens Don Richardson?
6. What is Carol Richardson's reaction to the sight of 200 armed warriors and the women and children standing massed, awaiting their arrival?
7. How does Kauwan display "saravon," a customary display of force, and why does he do this when Yae arrives at the village of Haenam?
8. Why does Richardson title this chapter "Baptism of Strangeness"?
9. Why does Yae throw water from the river into the air in order to drink it?
10. What response does Richardson offer to those who would advocate that these remote tribes need to be left alone and not contacted?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)