|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is wild boar meat carried out of the jungle?
(a) In a woven sago frond pack.
(b) On a large platter of ironwood, carried on the hunter's head.
(c) In a bamboo box strapped on the hunter's shoulders and head.
(d) In a wheelbarrow.
2. What does "Tuwi asonai makaerin" mean?
(a) To fatten with friendship.
(b) To leave a little on one's plate.
(c) To bow with deep respect to ones mother in law.
(d) To give a child in exchange for goods and services.
3. What does Don Richardson do that frightens the Sawi people away from his house?
(a) He shoots a shot gun in their direction.
(b) He throws a handful of firecrackers out of the front door.
(c) He lights a kerosene lamp in the darkness.
(d) He eats brains.
4. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
(a) Kauwan is Yae's brother and has no power.
(b) Kauwan is deaf and cannot hear Yae's cry of fear.
(c) Kauwan has been promised a wife by one of the village men.
(d) Kauwan has been taken away to the jungle by his family.
5. What does seven-month-old Stephen think of his first journey down the Kronkel river?
(a) Stephen is bored and plays with his toys, rarely looking up.
(b) Stephen is full of wonder and awe.
(c) Stephen is very frightened and cannot stop crying.
(d) Stephen sleeps the entire way.
Short Answer Questions
1. Are the Sawi women involved in head hunting?
2. What is the primary redemptive analogy which Richardson uses to reach the tribal people?
3. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
4. Who is waiting at the new homesite when the Richardsons arrive?
5. How many treehouses are there, in total, in the Mauro village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the young 7-month-old Stephen and the grown Sawi man Narai have in common?
2. Why does the ecstatic Sawi communal expression of "hahap kaman" so deeply affect Richardson?
3. Why does Yae throw water from the river into the air in order to drink it?
4. What is Carol Richardson's reaction to the sight of 200 armed warriors and the women and children standing massed, awaiting their arrival?
5. What do the elders Kigo, Hato and Numu do with the gifts they receive from the Tuans who are on the boat?
6. What kinds of weapons does Yae take on the trip?
7. Why does Wario, Mahaen's mother-in-law, agree to be part of Kani's terrible revenge plot?
8. What is Ebenezer Vine trying to accomplish with his lecture tour?
9. What are some of the fears which the Sawi people have about the Tuans?
10. What was the moment in which Yae realizes that he has been tricked?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)