|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Sawi people believe airplanes are?
(a) Supernatural creatures.
(b) German bomber planes.
(c) River spirits.
(d) Chariots of the gods.
2. Why does Yae's wife, Kautap, throw his stone ax in the river when she hears that her husband has been murdered?
(a) She is angry at him for going to Haenam.
(b) She doesn't want anyone else to use it.
(c) She is mad with grief.
(d) She believes Yae's spirit will need the ax in the world of the dead.
3. What vessel does the Richardson family use to arrive at their new home?
(a) A speedboat.
(b) A long dugout canoe.
(c) A plane.
(d) A rowboat with diesel motor.
4. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in our present world?
(a) The end of all we know.
(b) Despair and continual war.
(c) Cross-cultural communication.
(d) Annihilation and destruction.
5. What do the Sawi warriors do when they meet Don Richardson and John McCain for the first time?
(a) They stand in their canoes completely and totally still.
(b) Most of the warriors faint and have to be revived with camphor.
(c) They launch an attack of arrows.
(d) They panic, many of them leaping out of the canoes; everyone trembling.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
2. How does Richardson deal with the Kayagar chief, Yae, when the chief begins to speak loudly?
3. What does Don Richardson do that frightens the Sawi people away from his house?
4. What does the Richardson family sleep underneath?
5. What do the Sawi people do when the long poles holding up their homes begin to rot?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Sawi people have a saying "the spirits have accepted our skin-grease in their rivers." What does this mean?
2. What response does Richardson offer to those who would advocate that these remote tribes need to be left alone and not contacted?
3. How is the boar killed?
4. Why do the Sawi people hide in the thorn bushes when the plane comes?
5. What was the moment in which Yae realizes that he has been tricked?
6. Does Ebenezer Vine promise the students fame and fortune?
7. What do the young 7-month-old Stephen and the grown Sawi man Narai have in common?
8. Why does Richardson title this chapter "Baptism of Strangeness"?
9. What do the Richardsons find surprising and difficult about the Sawi people?
10. Why was Yae so confident and relaxed on this visit to the Haenam village?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)