|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Don Richardson interpret the tumult of Sawi activity as?
(a) A dangerous cannibalistic ritual.
(b) The beginning of a violent war between Sawi and Tuan.
(c) A baptism into a new and strange world.
(d) A chance to learn the Sawi language.
2. What do Sawi use to build the floors of their homes?
(a) Clay from the riverbank.
(c) Split palm tree bark.
3. What year do the Richardsons go to New Guinea?
4. What is the Eren ceremony?
(a) A ritual in which a girl or woman is given the jawbone of a freshly killed victim.
(b) A ritual in which women cook pork and sago to celebrate the full moon.
(c) A ritual in which a girl or woman is given the full status of matriarch.
(d) A ceremony in which a man and woman adopt orphaned children.
5. What brings the Sawi villagers to a sudden halt when they hear it for the first time?
(a) The large migration of birds which flew overhead.
(b) The diesel engines of the Dutch military boats.
(c) The explosion of a nuclear bomb.
(d) The song of a lark at break of day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carol Richardson feeling as she steps onto the bank of her new home?
2. Who is building Richardson's house?
3. What does Richardson build his home with?
4. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
5. How do Don and Carol Richardson travel to New Guinea in 1962?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the elders Kigo, Hato and Numu do with the gifts they receive from the Tuans who are on the boat?
2. Why do the Sawi people hide in the thorn bushes when the plane comes?
3. What kinds of weapons does Yae take on the trip?
4. What is the key concept from Christianity that the missionary family uses to teach the Sawi people another way to live?
5. Who are the people that the author is going to work with?
6. What response does Richardson offer to those who would advocate that these remote tribes need to be left alone and not contacted?
7. What does the village of Mauro look like?
8. How is the boar killed?
9. What is Ebenezer Vine trying to accomplish with his lecture tour?
10. What was the moment in which Yae realizes that he has been tricked?
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)