|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Ironwood Curtain?
(a) It refers to that curtain which hangs between life and death.
(b) It means passing from the life of easy and plenty, where there is much light, to the darker world of the jungle.
(c) It refers to the border of iron which the Sawi people have erected around their territory.
(d) It means passing into the jungle that is full of trees which are called ironwood because of their dense hard wood.
2. What might a visitor in a Sawi village be offered as a snack?
(a) Pudding made from a bear liver.
(b) Freshly toasted sago grubs.
(c) Lobster, recently cooked and dipped in butter.
(d) Chicken pot pie with carrots and potatoes.
3. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
(a) It means they are now an adult.
(b) It means that they will someday go to heaven and be an angel.
(c) They are crossing a major threshold necessary to known the ultimate essence of their existence.
(d) It means that they no longer belong to the tribe.
4. What is the weather like on the day the Richardson family arrives at their new home?
(a) It is a very windy, chilly day on the high plains.
(b) It is a cold night, almost freezing, when they arrive.
(c) It is a hot, humid day in the jungle.
(d) It is a rainy tropical day during the monsoon.
5. How is wild boar meat carried out of the jungle?
(a) In a wheelbarrow.
(b) In a woven sago frond pack.
(c) On a large platter of ironwood, carried on the hunter's head.
(d) In a bamboo box strapped on the hunter's shoulders and head.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
2. What is Don Richardson feeling as he steps onto the bank of the Kronkel and meets those who are waiting for them?
3. Who is waiting at the new homesite when the Richardsons arrive?
4. What do the Sawi warriors bring on their first trading mission to Pirimapun?
5. Yae's young brother Sao is ill. What is his sickness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the boar killed?
2. What is the key concept from Christianity that the missionary family uses to teach the Sawi people another way to live?
3. Why do the Sawi people hide in the thorn bushes when the plane comes?
4. What do the Richardsons find surprising and difficult about the Sawi people?
5. Does Ebenezer Vine promise the students fame and fortune?
6. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in modern life?
7. What tools appears in Chapter 12, Patriarch of the Tumdu, which are new to Sawi culture?
8. How does Kauwan display "saravon," a customary display of force, and why does he do this when Yae arrives at the village of Haenam?
9. What are the Sawi concerned about when Richardson takes a bath in the Kronkel river?
10. What do the young 7-month-old Stephen and the grown Sawi man Narai have in common?
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)