|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many wives does the patriarch of Tumdu have?
(a) None, he is a priest.
(d) Twenty; he is a great chief.
2. What does "Tuwi asonai makaerin" mean?
(a) To bow with deep respect to ones mother in law.
(b) To give a child in exchange for goods and services.
(c) To leave a little on one's plate.
(d) To fatten with friendship.
3. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
(a) Because it customary for a bride to have a shaved head.
(b) Because of lice.
(c) Because her husband has died.
(d) Because it would show how wise she was.
4. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
(a) A thousand dollars.
(b) A peace child.
(c) His own wife.
(d) A gun and sword.
5. What is the Prairie Bible Institute?
(a) A large university in Nebraska which was founded by Mennonites.
(b) A far right think tank in western Kansas.
(c) A Christian community and missionary training school in Alberta, Canada.
(d) A school which teaches English and Dutch to the children from the Sawi culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don Richardson do that frightens the Sawi people away from his house?
2. What is the only safe way for a Sawi person to drink water from the river?
3. What might a visitor in a Sawi village be offered as a snack?
4. What is the Ironwood Curtain?
5. A typical stone axe would be swung 40 times to fell a tree. How many times does Hurip have to swing his steel axe to cut down the tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Ebenezer Vine promise the students fame and fortune?
2. What do the elders Kigo, Hato and Numu do with the gifts they receive from the Tuans who are on the boat?
3. What do the Richardsons find surprising and difficult about the Sawi people?
4. Why does Richardson title this chapter "Baptism of Strangeness"?
5. What are some of the fears which the Sawi people have about the Tuans?
6. How is the boar killed?
7. How does Kauwan display "saravon," a customary display of force, and why does he do this when Yae arrives at the village of Haenam?
8. Who are the people that the author is going to work with?
9. What tools appears in Chapter 12, Patriarch of the Tumdu, which are new to Sawi culture?
10. Why does Yae throw water from the river into the air in order to drink it?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)