|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Sawi men smoke in their pipes?
(a) Sago leaves.
(b) Tobacco leaves.
(c) Dried mushrooms.
(d) Ground bones of wild boars.
2. What does Hurip trade to obtain his "kapak," his steel ax?
(a) Gold and silver.
(b) Pork, fish and stone-tipped arrows.
(c) Many months of work.
(d) One of his children.
3. How does Richardson deal with the Kayagar chief, Yae, when the chief begins to speak loudly?
(a) Richardson hits Yae very hard with a pile driver.
(b) Richardson gets on his knees and prays loudly for peace.
(c) Richardson gets the Sawi chief to fight Yae.
(d) Richardson puts his hand on Yae's shoulder and speaks English in a soothing tone.
4. What does the high pitched command signal should happen?
(a) It signals that the drums should begin.
(b) It signals that the Richardsons should be attacked and brought down.
(c) It signals that the children should ask for food and water.
(d) It signals that everyone should go home.
5. Who is Ebenezer G. Vine?
(a) A well known philosopher and theologian from Denmark.
(b) The great-grandfather of Don Richardson's who farmed in Nebraska.
(c) A veteran missionary who speaks at Don Richardson's college.
(d) An explorer and geographer who had charted Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don Richardson do that frightens the Sawi people away from his house?
2. Which of these terms can be used to describe the tribe?
3. What effect does the tide have upon the black, algae-stained Kronkel river?
4. What do the Sawi people do when the long poles holding up their homes begin to rot?
5. Why do the elders Kigo, Hatu and Numu volunteer to make contact with the Tuans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the elders Kigo, Hato and Numu do with the gifts they receive from the Tuans who are on the boat?
2. What are the Sawi concerned about when Richardson takes a bath in the Kronkel river?
3. Why is the sound of the diesel boat engines so frightening?
4. Why do the Sawi people hide in the thorn bushes when the plane comes?
5. What are some of the fears which the Sawi people have about the Tuans?
6. What do the young 7-month-old Stephen and the grown Sawi man Narai have in common?
7. Does Ebenezer Vine promise the students fame and fortune?
8. What is Ebenezer Vine trying to accomplish with his lecture tour?
9. What about the jungle frightens Don Richardson?
10. Why do the Sawi people see Kani and Mahean as the epitome of manhood?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)