|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the ancient Sawi custom of "waness"?
(a) A bind created by one person eating food which has touched another person's genitals.
(b) A custom of men having more than one wife.
(c) The custom of soaking food in water before eating it.
(d) One person mixing blood with another person.
2. Who is waiting at the new homesite when the Richardsons arrive?
(a) Hato and Yae.
(b) John McCain and his wife.
(c) No one is waiting. The whole area is deserted.
(d) Two hundred armed warriors and many women and children,
3. Who is Patches?
(a) The cook who makes fried sago worms for Richardson's family.
(b) The translator who makes "patchwork" of the early communications with the Sawi tribe.
(c) The fierce watchdog that lives with the missionary family of John McCain.
(d) The nickname for Richardson's young son.
4. What do the Sawi people believe airplanes are?
(a) Chariots of the gods.
(b) Supernatural creatures.
(c) River spirits.
(d) German bomber planes.
5. What do the Sawi people do when the long poles holding up their homes begin to rot?
(a) They work with their neighbors and replace all the poles.
(b) They move to another location.
(c) They lower their houses to the ground.
(d) They replace them with steel girders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What principle does Don Richardson believe God gives him to offer the tribal people?
2. How many pounds does the average wild boar weigh?
3. What is unique about the kidari along the Kronkel river?
4. What does the white skin of the Tuans remind the Sawi people of?
5. How does Don Richardson find a way into the hearts and minds of the tribe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the sound of the diesel boat engines so frightening?
2. What is the key concept from Christianity that the missionary family uses to teach the Sawi people another way to live?
3. What was the moment in which Yae realizes that he has been tricked?
4. What is Carol Richardson's reaction to the sight of 200 armed warriors and the women and children standing massed, awaiting their arrival?
5. The Sawi people have a saying "the spirits have accepted our skin-grease in their rivers." What does this mean?
6. What are the Sawi concerned about when Richardson takes a bath in the Kronkel river?
7. How is the boar killed?
8. Why was Yae so confident and relaxed on this visit to the Haenam village?
9. What about the jungle frightens Don Richardson?
10. What tools appears in Chapter 12, Patriarch of the Tumdu, which are new to Sawi culture?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)