|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the high pitched command signal should happen?
(a) It signals that the Richardsons should be attacked and brought down.
(b) It signals that the drums should begin.
(c) It signals that everyone should go home.
(d) It signals that the children should ask for food and water.
2. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
(a) Because of lice.
(b) Because her husband has died.
(c) Because it would show how wise she was.
(d) Because it customary for a bride to have a shaved head.
3. What is the name of the sea which the Kronkel river empties into?
(a) The Agramenon Basin.
(b) The Atlantic Ocean.
(c) The Arafura Sea.
(d) The Agrabar Waterway.
4. How many tribes are in the area of New Guinea?
(a) Only one.
(b) Five distinct tribes and ten which could not be classified.
(c) Fifteen distinct tribes.
(d) An estimated four hundred.
5. What do the Sawi warriors bring on their first trading mission to Pirimapun?
(a) Sago flour, beetle grubs, lori parrots and chickens.
(b) Guns, ammunition, spears and dynamite.
(c) Elaborately carved masks and feather-adorned costumes.
(d) Pottery made from dark red riverbank clay.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Ironwood Curtain?
2. What time of day does the Richardson family arrive at their new home?
3. How does Don Richardson find a way into the hearts and minds of the tribe?
4. Are the Sawi women involved in head hunting?
5. What is the primary redemptive analogy which Richardson uses to reach the tribal people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the moment in which Yae realizes that he has been tricked?
2. What do the elders Kigo, Hato and Numu do with the gifts they receive from the Tuans who are on the boat?
3. Why do the Sawi people see Kani and Mahean as the epitome of manhood?
4. What is Ebenezer Vine trying to accomplish with his lecture tour?
5. Why do the Sawi people hide in the thorn bushes when the plane comes?
6. Why does Richardson title this chapter "Baptism of Strangeness"?
7. What does the village of Mauro look like?
8. What do the young 7-month-old Stephen and the grown Sawi man Narai have in common?
9. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in modern life?
10. For his journey to Haenam, Yae dresses in a very careful way. What are some of the underlying meanings which his clothing convey?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)