|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hato say about God?
(a) "God does not know what he is doing."
(b) "God must be very, very far away."
(c) "God must have been sad just like me."
(d) "God must not care for us if such things happen."
2. How many pigs are being cooked on this first Christmas?
(d) Five hundred.
3. What do the women do during battle?
(a) The women throw stones and sharp rocks at the enemy.
(b) The women shield the children.
(c) The women curse and bang their pounding sticks on the ground.
(d) The women taunt their own men to be more brave.
4. How does the author describe a Sawi manhouse?
(a) As the Parthenon of Sawi culture.
(b) As a den of inequity.
(c) As a rundown, smoke-filled, unhealthy gathering place.
(d) As a library and movie theatre in the Sawi village.
5. What do the Sawi people call Jesus?
(a) Tawanda Tahoi, the one who is beyond reach.
(b) Tarap Tim Kodon, the perfect peace child.
(c) Jesus the Tailor, the one who makes us new.
(d) Tahari Tamala, the spirit who rises again.
6. When the Richardsons, Winifred and Mavo fall off the capsized dugout and into the Kronkel river, what happens first?
(a) Carol swims to the bank with her infant child.
(b) Crocodiles immediately surround them.
(c) Winifred and Mavo go back to the dugout and Mavo climbs on top of it.
(d) Richardson rescues Stephen.
7. What is the fourth level of despair?
(a) Sinking the dead person's body into the Kronkel river.
(b) Eating food with the hand that had been plunged into the dead person's body.
(c) Throwing oneself, briefly, upon the death bonfire.
(d) Throwing oneself into the grave with the dead body.
8. What medicine do the Richardsons have which saves the lives of Mavu, Nair and Paha?
9. Why is Beray not welcoming to the men from Wiyar?
(a) They had cannibalized his father six years earlier.
(b) Beray had recently been attacked by the Wiyar men.
(c) Beray had been banished from Wiyar.
(d) They would not let him marry into the tribe.
10. Why is it so important to Richardson that the patriarchs, the older men, convert to Christianity?
(a) Because the patriarchs of the tribe hold much influence over the rest of the people.
(b) Because the patriarchs can read and write and will spread the gospel.
(c) Because Richardson believes only men can lead spiritually.
(d) Because the patriarchs control all the money.
11. What is Don Richardson's first order of business with the Sawi tribe?
(a) To cure the sick and heal the lame.
(b) To convert the children to Christianity.
(c) To establish trading alliances with neighboring tribes.
(d) To learn the Sawi language.
12. What does Don Richardson believe the real battle is about?
(a) Between God and Satan.
(b) Between the modern world and the stone age world.
(c) Between women and men.
(d) Between the savagery and the gospel of peace.
13. What does "my liver trembles" refer to?
(a) It means "the day has come for me to die."
(b) It means "illness has struck me and I am near death."
(c) It means "you have aroused longing in me."
(d) It means "I am extremely hungry."
14. What fruits and flowers do the missionaries introduce to the Sawi?
(a) Apple trees, green beans, potatoes and tomatoes.
(b) Peaches, sago and apricots.
(c) Pineapple, coconut palms, lemon trees and hibiscus.
(d) Watermelon, oranges and grapefruit.
15. What do the Sawi people raise their children to be?
(a) Strong willed.
(b) Invisible in the jungle.
(c) Quiet and reticent.
(d) Musical and artistic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the woman, once beautiful, now covered in mud, weeping and wailing in grief?
2. What does Don Richardson respect about the Sawi men?
3. What insult is hurtled at a Haenam youth which almost starts a serious battle?
4. What does Richardson believe is stopping the Sawi people from following the Christian path?
5. In 1963 who does the Dutch government begin to give control of the Netherlands New Guinea to?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)