|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Don Richardson most shocked to discover about the Sawi people?
(a) That they often get lost.
(b) That they honor goodness and light.
(c) That they eat no fruit.
(d) That they honor cruelty.
2. What does Richardson believe keeps true peace from existing among Sawi people?
(a) The inability of the Sawi people to understand what peace is.
(b) The belief of the Sawi people in demons.
(c) The possibility of tusi asonai man.
(d) The fact that they are illiterate.
3. How many pigs are being cooked on this first Christmas?
(b) Five hundred.
4. What is Aham's role in the village?
(a) She is a naturopath.
(b) She is a herbalist.
(c) She is the leader of the women.
(d) She is a sorceresses who has visions of spiritual events.
5. Why is Richardson so excited about the peace child ritual?
(a) He thinks it will make a good book.
(b) He is not excited; he thinks it is all very hopeless and sad.
(c) He believes that Christianity must have been introduced to the Sawi long ago.
(d) It shows the Sawi people are capable of understanding and practicing peace.
6. What gifts are given among the Sawi people at this first Christmas?
(a) Gold coins.
(c) Dugout canoes.
(d) Sago, beetle grubs and wild pork.
7. How do the Sawi prepare a body for burial?
(a) Singe the skin with fire, cut off all the hair and disfigure the face.
(b) Coat it in thick mud and dry it in the sun.
(c) Wrap the body in a grass mat, bound with vines around the neck, wrist and ankles.
(d) Anoint it with fragrant oils.
8. Who is the woman, once beautiful, now covered in mud, weeping and wailing in grief?
(a) Wumi, mother of a peace child.
(b) Mary, mother of Jesus.
(c) Carol, Don Richardson's wife.
(d) Watiro, one of the leading women in Kamur.
9. What machine does the Richardson family have that is very mysterious to the Sawi people?
(a) A gas-powered washing machine.
(b) A low flying helicopter.
(c) A blender.
(d) A food processor.
10. When the Richardsons, Winifred and Mavo fall off the capsized dugout and into the Kronkel river, what happens first?
(a) Crocodiles immediately surround them.
(b) Winifred and Mavo go back to the dugout and Mavo climbs on top of it.
(c) Carol swims to the bank with her infant child.
(d) Richardson rescues Stephen.
11. What does "gefam ason" mean?
(a) The end of the world.
(b) Paddling through the storm.
(c) Tasting nothing.
(d) Touching the stench.
12. Why is it so important to Richardson that the patriarchs, the older men, convert to Christianity?
(a) Because Richardson believes only men can lead spiritually.
(b) Because the patriarchs can read and write and will spread the gospel.
(c) Because the patriarchs of the tribe hold much influence over the rest of the people.
(d) Because the patriarchs control all the money.
13. What is the third level of despair?
(a) Plunging one's hand deep into the putrid body cavity of the dead person.
(b) Standing for several hours absolutely still, next to the body.
(c) Throwing the bones of the deceased upon the death camp bonfire.
(d) Setting the dead person's body onto a river raft, loaded with stones.
14. Why is Richardson shocked by the dead man Warahai's condition?
(a) Warahai has been eaten by crocodiles.
(b) Warahai has been wrapped in sago leaves.
(c) Warahai is still conscious, has a faint pulse and is breathing.
(d) Warahai has been dead many days.
15. What two villages are fighting on the Tuan's doorstep?
(a) The Kayangar and the Sawi are in battle.
(b) The Sawi are fighting the Tuan.
(c) The Kamur and Haenam villages are in battle.
(d) The Harasiomi and the Kaondahari are fighting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don Richardson respect about the Sawi men?
2. Which two village groups need to make peace?
3. What do the women do during battle?
4. What do the Sawi people build for a dead person?
5. Who reads the Christmas scripture at the worship service?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)