|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Richardson so excited about the peace child ritual?
(a) He is not excited; he thinks it is all very hopeless and sad.
(b) He thinks it will make a good book.
(c) It shows the Sawi people are capable of understanding and practicing peace.
(d) He believes that Christianity must have been introduced to the Sawi long ago.
2. What do the women do during battle?
(a) The women taunt their own men to be more brave.
(b) The women throw stones and sharp rocks at the enemy.
(c) The women curse and bang their pounding sticks on the ground.
(d) The women shield the children.
3. How do the Sawi prepare a body for burial?
(a) Anoint it with fragrant oils.
(b) Singe the skin with fire, cut off all the hair and disfigure the face.
(c) Wrap the body in a grass mat, bound with vines around the neck, wrist and ankles.
(d) Coat it in thick mud and dry it in the sun.
4. What do the Sawi men build on the Kronkel river under Richardson's guidance?
(a) A 110-foot iron bridge.
(b) A breakwater barrier.
(c) A huge raft made of ironwood poles.
(d) A small island made of concrete.
5. What do the Sawi people call Jesus?
(a) Tawanda Tahoi, the one who is beyond reach.
(b) Jesus the Tailor, the one who makes us new.
(c) Tarap Tim Kodon, the perfect peace child.
(d) Tahari Tamala, the spirit who rises again.
6. What does Richardson organize to celebrate his first Christmas with the Sawi?
(a) A large scale inter-village feast.
(b) A huge ironwood tree covered with ornaments.
(c) A Bible study for a few close Sawi friends.
(d) A trip for his family to Australia.
7. What machine does the Richardson family have that is very mysterious to the Sawi people?
(a) A gas-powered washing machine.
(b) A blender.
(c) A low flying helicopter.
(d) A food processor.
8. What is the third level of despair?
(a) Throwing the bones of the deceased upon the death camp bonfire.
(b) Standing for several hours absolutely still, next to the body.
(c) Plunging one's hand deep into the putrid body cavity of the dead person.
(d) Setting the dead person's body onto a river raft, loaded with stones.
9. What is Aham's role in the village?
(a) She is the leader of the women.
(b) She is a sorceresses who has visions of spiritual events.
(c) She is a naturopath.
(d) She is a herbalist.
10. What insult is hurtled at a Haenam youth which almost starts a serious battle?
(a) He is called "tuan like."
(b) He is called "slow as mud."
(c) He is called "lizard-skin."
(d) He is called "weird old man."
11. What is the fourth level of despair?
(a) Throwing oneself, briefly, upon the death bonfire.
(b) Throwing oneself into the grave with the dead body.
(c) Eating food with the hand that had been plunged into the dead person's body.
(d) Sinking the dead person's body into the Kronkel river.
12. What does Richardson conclude has been the reason Sawi people have survived so long?
(a) Their habit of aggressive fighting.
(b) Their habit of bathing in the river.
(c) Their habit of fishing and hunting.
(d) Their habit of living in small, isolated groups.
13. Where are dead bodies interred in a Sawi village?
(a) They are sunk in the Kronkel river just downstream of the village.
(b) Deep in the earth, directly under the family longhouse.
(c) In a communal grave, on the edge of the village.
(d) In a small, coffin-sized gravehouse, elevated five to fifteen feet above ground.
14. Why do the young boys spread the news that the Richardson family is eating brains?
(a) Because the Richardsons frighten them.
(b) Because Richardsons tell the boys this to frighten them.
(c) Because their macaroni supper looks like brains.
(d) Because they are lying to get attention.
15. When the Richardsons, Winifred and Mavo fall off the capsized dugout and into the Kronkel river, what happens first?
(a) Richardson rescues Stephen.
(b) Winifred and Mavo go back to the dugout and Mavo climbs on top of it.
(c) Crocodiles immediately surround them.
(d) Carol swims to the bank with her infant child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What vision does Aham have which convinces the Sawi villagers that there is no hope for Warahai?
2. What do Sawi people do if twins are born?
3. Who reads the Christmas scripture at the worship service?
4. Which two village groups need to make peace?
5. What does Richardson believe is stopping the Sawi people from following the Christian path?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)