|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Richardson organize to celebrate his first Christmas with the Sawi?
(a) A Bible study for a few close Sawi friends.
(b) A large scale inter-village feast.
(c) A huge ironwood tree covered with ornaments.
(d) A trip for his family to Australia.
2. Why is Warahai's mother crouched over the body of her son, covering his loins with her face and hands?
(a) She is trying to see if her son is still breathing.
(b) She is protecting them from being disfigured by the village.
(c) The Sawi believe that a soul sometimes lingers in the generative organs.
(d) She is performing "atama karun," an ancient Sawi ritual.
3. Why is Hato so filled with grief?
(a) Hato had lost his parents recently.
(b) Hato had seen many of his children die of malaria.
(c) Hato was in grief over the loss of his place as chief.
(d) Hato had given a peace child to the Kayagar and they killed and ate the child.
4. What two villages are fighting on the Tuan's doorstep?
(a) The Kayangar and the Sawi are in battle.
(b) The Harasiomi and the Kaondahari are fighting.
(c) The Sawi are fighting the Tuan.
(d) The Kamur and Haenam villages are in battle.
5. What is the first thing Warahi says when he comes out of his coma?
(a) "Where am I?"
(b) "Help me up, I must walk."
(c) "O Mother, don't be sad."
(d) "I am hungry."
6. Near the end of the book, Richardson describes a new place where the mission plane lands. What is that place?
(a) A floating bridge on the Kronkel.
(b) The recently built airstrip.
(c) The long sago bridge.
(d) An ocean carrier.
7. What gifts are given among the Sawi people at this first Christmas?
(a) Gold coins.
(b) Dugout canoes.
(d) Sago, beetle grubs and wild pork.
8. Who reads the Christmas scripture at the worship service?
(a) Isai, now a literate Sawi preacher.
(c) Carol Richardson.
(d) Richardson's son, Stephen.
9. What fruits and flowers do the missionaries introduce to the Sawi?
(a) Peaches, sago and apricots.
(b) Pineapple, coconut palms, lemon trees and hibiscus.
(c) Watermelon, oranges and grapefruit.
(d) Apple trees, green beans, potatoes and tomatoes.
10. What is Aham's role in the village?
(a) She is a naturopath.
(b) She is a sorceresses who has visions of spiritual events.
(c) She is a herbalist.
(d) She is the leader of the women.
11. When the Richardsons, Winifred and Mavo fall off the capsized dugout and into the Kronkel river, what happens first?
(a) Carol swims to the bank with her infant child.
(b) Richardson rescues Stephen.
(c) Winifred and Mavo go back to the dugout and Mavo climbs on top of it.
(d) Crocodiles immediately surround them.
12. What does Don Richardson respect about the Sawi men?
(a) They are well traveled and have been all over the world.
(b) They are accomplished naturalists and have great courage and survival skills.
(c) He does not respect anything about the Sawi men.
(d) They are excellent writers and have captured their history in many books.
13. Why are the Sawi people so upset with Don Richardson over his actions with Warahai?
(a) Richardson is not allowing them to carry out their death and dying rituals.
(b) Richardson is keeping the village from going on a wild boar hunt.
(c) Richardson is not allowing the rain gods to bring nourishment to the jungle.
(d) Richardson is trying to save a bad man.
14. What is the fourth level of despair?
(a) Eating food with the hand that had been plunged into the dead person's body.
(b) Throwing oneself, briefly, upon the death bonfire.
(c) Throwing oneself into the grave with the dead body.
(d) Sinking the dead person's body into the Kronkel river.
15. Who stands at the front of the battle, on the front line, so to speak?
(a) The most experienced warriors.
(b) The young teenage boys.
(c) The jesters and clowns are sent to the front to distract.
(d) The women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the woman, once beautiful, now covered in mud, weeping and wailing in grief?
2. In the Sawi language, how many tenses does each verb have?
3. Who is Biakadon?
4. What does "my liver trembles" refer to?
5. Why do the young boys spread the news that the Richardson family is eating brains?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)