|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Myao Kondon" mean?
(a) The thousand lakes and rivers.
(b) The end of the end.
(c) The greatest Spirit.
(d) The big tree just beyond view.
2. What fruits and flowers do the missionaries introduce to the Sawi?
(a) Peaches, sago and apricots.
(b) Watermelon, oranges and grapefruit.
(c) Apple trees, green beans, potatoes and tomatoes.
(d) Pineapple, coconut palms, lemon trees and hibiscus.
3. What medicine do the Richardsons have which saves the lives of Mavu, Nair and Paha?
4. What do Sawi people do if twins are born?
(a) They kill the second twin, believing it to be an evil spirit.
(b) They celebrate for many days, for they think it is very special.
(c) The second twin is ordained to be a tribal medicine man.
(d) They name them the same name, as they came at the same time.
5. What does Richardson conclude has been the reason Sawi people have survived so long?
(a) Their habit of bathing in the river.
(b) Their habit of living in small, isolated groups.
(c) Their habit of aggressive fighting.
(d) Their habit of fishing and hunting.
6. Why is Warahai's mother crouched over the body of her son, covering his loins with her face and hands?
(a) She is performing "atama karun," an ancient Sawi ritual.
(b) The Sawi believe that a soul sometimes lingers in the generative organs.
(c) She is protecting them from being disfigured by the village.
(d) She is trying to see if her son is still breathing.
7. Why are the Sawi people so upset with Don Richardson over his actions with Warahai?
(a) Richardson is trying to save a bad man.
(b) Richardson is not allowing them to carry out their death and dying rituals.
(c) Richardson is not allowing the rain gods to bring nourishment to the jungle.
(d) Richardson is keeping the village from going on a wild boar hunt.
8. What do the Sawi people raise their children to be?
(a) Invisible in the jungle.
(b) Strong willed.
(c) Musical and artistic.
(d) Quiet and reticent.
9. What brings a time of peace to the Sawi tribes?
(a) The peace child exchange between two villages.
(b) The river is full of fish.
(c) The Tuans give many gifts.
(d) The weather is very calm.
10. What two villages are fighting on the Tuan's doorstep?
(a) The Sawi are fighting the Tuan.
(b) The Kayangar and the Sawi are in battle.
(c) The Kamur and Haenam villages are in battle.
(d) The Harasiomi and the Kaondahari are fighting.
11. What do the Sawi men build on the Kronkel river under Richardson's guidance?
(a) A breakwater barrier.
(b) A small island made of concrete.
(c) A 110-foot iron bridge.
(d) A huge raft made of ironwood poles.
12. What happens to Er when he makes advances towards a girl?
(a) Her male relatives shoot him with arrows.
(b) She chases him into the river.
(c) She accuses him of terrible things and he is banished.
(d) He is forced to marry the girl.
13. In 1963 who does the Dutch government begin to give control of the Netherlands New Guinea to?
(a) Through the World Court they give control to Australia.
(b) Through the Geneva Accord they give control to the Sawi.
(c) Through the United Nations they transfer control to Indonesian sovereignty.
(d) Through the League of Nations they give control to the United States.
14. What does "my liver trembles" refer to?
(a) It means "illness has struck me and I am near death."
(b) It means "the day has come for me to die."
(c) It means "you have aroused longing in me."
(d) It means "I am extremely hungry."
15. When the Richardsons, Winifred and Mavo fall off the capsized dugout and into the Kronkel river, what happens first?
(a) Crocodiles immediately surround them.
(b) Richardson rescues Stephen.
(c) Carol swims to the bank with her infant child.
(d) Winifred and Mavo go back to the dugout and Mavo climbs on top of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Sawi people build for a dead person?
2. Mahean is the first to step forward to try to carry out the peace child ritual. What stops him?
3. What is Aham's role in the village?
4. Why is Hato so filled with grief?
5. What does Richardson organize to celebrate his first Christmas with the Sawi?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)