|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ritual does "Eyes Red with Watching" in chapter 23 describe?
(a) The Sawi ritual of sleeplessness.
(b) The Sawi ritual of new birth.
(c) The Sawi ritual of grief and veneration.
(d) The Sawi ritual of baptism.
2. What does Richardson believe is stopping the Sawi people from following the Christian path?
(a) Fear of Richardson and the Tuan people.
(b) Fear of unfavorable reaction from the demon world.
(c) Fear of being crucified like Jesus.
(d) Fear of the power of God and Jesus.
3. What does Hato say about God?
(a) "God does not know what he is doing."
(b) "God must not care for us if such things happen."
(c) "God must be very, very far away."
(d) "God must have been sad just like me."
4. Why is it so important to Richardson that the patriarchs, the older men, convert to Christianity?
(a) Because the patriarchs control all the money.
(b) Because Richardson believes only men can lead spiritually.
(c) Because the patriarchs can read and write and will spread the gospel.
(d) Because the patriarchs of the tribe hold much influence over the rest of the people.
5. Who is the first patriarch in the Sawi tribe to convert to Christianity?
6. What is the name of Don and Carol Richardson's second child?
(a) Shannon Douglas.
(b) Donald Paul.
(c) Moses James.
(d) Luke Andrew.
7. What does Don Richardson believe the real battle is about?
(a) Between God and Satan.
(b) Between women and men.
(c) Between the savagery and the gospel of peace.
(d) Between the modern world and the stone age world.
8. What two villages are fighting on the Tuan's doorstep?
(a) The Kayangar and the Sawi are in battle.
(b) The Kamur and Haenam villages are in battle.
(c) The Harasiomi and the Kaondahari are fighting.
(d) The Sawi are fighting the Tuan.
9. What do Sawi people do if twins are born?
(a) They name them the same name, as they came at the same time.
(b) They kill the second twin, believing it to be an evil spirit.
(c) The second twin is ordained to be a tribal medicine man.
(d) They celebrate for many days, for they think it is very special.
10. How does Mavo respond to the protection and kindness which Richardson shows to him?
(a) Mavo gives Richardson one of his own children.
(b) Mavo converts to Christianity that evening.
(c) Mavo leaves the area and travels to the nearest Dutch government outpost.
(d) Mavo promises he will follow the Richardsons anywhere.
11. What is Don Richardson's first order of business with the Sawi tribe?
(a) To convert the children to Christianity.
(b) To learn the Sawi language.
(c) To cure the sick and heal the lame.
(d) To establish trading alliances with neighboring tribes.
12. Why is Richardson so excited about the peace child ritual?
(a) He is not excited; he thinks it is all very hopeless and sad.
(b) He thinks it will make a good book.
(c) He believes that Christianity must have been introduced to the Sawi long ago.
(d) It shows the Sawi people are capable of understanding and practicing peace.
13. What vision does Aham have which convinces the Sawi villagers that there is no hope for Warahai?
(a) A vision of a great tall Walahari bird which tells her to let go of Warahai.
(b) A vision of a spirit flock which cover the village as they fly over.
(c) A vision of Warahai speaking to her from the other side.
(d) A vision of a spirit which ambushes Warahai's soul and eats it.
14. What insult is hurtled at a Haenam youth which almost starts a serious battle?
(a) He is called "weird old man."
(b) He is called "tuan like."
(c) He is called "slow as mud."
(d) He is called "lizard-skin."
15. How many teachers are working in the new Sawi school?
(b) Five hundred.
(d) One hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Aham's role in the village?
2. What does Richardson build after five years among the Sawi to replace his small thatchbox home?
3. Why is Warahai's mother crouched over the body of her son, covering his loins with her face and hands?
4. What do the women do during battle?
5. What is the second level of despair?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)