|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the word "navo" mean in Sawi?
(c) Help me.
2. What does Don Richardson say to the battling warriors?
(a) "Get out of my front yard!"
(b) "There is another way!"
(c) "Es! That's enough!"
(d) "No more steel tools unless you stop!"
3. Why is it so important to Richardson that the patriarchs, the older men, convert to Christianity?
(a) Because the patriarchs control all the money.
(b) Because Richardson believes only men can lead spiritually.
(c) Because the patriarchs can read and write and will spread the gospel.
(d) Because the patriarchs of the tribe hold much influence over the rest of the people.
4. What do Aham and Richardson have in common?
(a) They have nothing in common.
(b) They both believe in a spiritual world, and they both talk to spirit/god.
(c) They both believe that Warahari is dead.
(d) They are both over 60 years of age.
5. How many people can be seated at a worship service inside the new Sawidome?
(a) One hundred.
(c) One thousand.
(d) Fifty thousand.
6. What medicine do the Richardsons have which saves the lives of Mavu, Nair and Paha?
7. Why is Richardson so excited about the peace child ritual?
(a) He thinks it will make a good book.
(b) He believes that Christianity must have been introduced to the Sawi long ago.
(c) It shows the Sawi people are capable of understanding and practicing peace.
(d) He is not excited; he thinks it is all very hopeless and sad.
8. What problems does Richardson face personally as he starts his sixth month of living with the Sawi people?
(a) Daily threats of violence to his family, his home being set on fire and his mother dying back in Canada.
(b) Monsoon rains which washed away the foundation of his home.
(c) Depression, Stephen's malaria, his wife's pregnancy and a general loss of hope.
(d) Government interference and high taxes.
9. Why is Warahai's mother crouched over the body of her son, covering his loins with her face and hands?
(a) She is protecting them from being disfigured by the village.
(b) She is trying to see if her son is still breathing.
(c) The Sawi believe that a soul sometimes lingers in the generative organs.
(d) She is performing "atama karun," an ancient Sawi ritual.
10. How many teachers are working in the new Sawi school?
(b) Five hundred.
(c) One hundred.
11. Do the Sawi men believe their children are strong?
(a) Yes, they believe their own children can withstand anything.
(b) No, they know their own children are very fragile.
(c) They do not care about their own children.
(d) Yes, they believe their own children are immortal.
12. What life forms must the Richardson family learn to live with inside their new home?
(a) Dogs, cats, parakeets, goats, cows, chickens and ducks.
(b) Mosquitoes, cockroaches, crickets, flies, rats, lizards, bats and birds.
(c) Elephants, giraffes, picolos, vultures, eagles and griffins.
(d) Worms, pythons, crocodiles, lions, jungle bears and hippos.
13. Who is the first patriarch in the Sawi tribe to convert to Christianity?
14. What is the second level of despair?
(a) Covering oneself with Sago thorns and rolling on the ground.
(b) Starting a bonfire at the death camp.
(c) Dancing under the gravehouse platform as maggots and rotting flesh rain down.
(d) Dressing the dead person's body in colorful clothing.
15. What is the third level of despair?
(a) Standing for several hours absolutely still, next to the body.
(b) Plunging one's hand deep into the putrid body cavity of the dead person.
(c) Setting the dead person's body onto a river raft, loaded with stones.
(d) Throwing the bones of the deceased upon the death camp bonfire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What insult is hurtled at a Haenam youth which almost starts a serious battle?
2. When the Richardsons, Winifred and Mavo fall off the capsized dugout and into the Kronkel river, what happens first?
3. What gifts are given among the Sawi people at this first Christmas?
4. Who is Biakadon?
5. Near the end of the book, Richardson describes a new place where the mission plane lands. What is that place?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)