|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mahean is the first to step forward to try to carry out the peace child ritual. What stops him?
(a) The child on his back weeps and wails until Mahean gives up.
(b) His conscience gets the better of him.
(c) A shower of arrows stops him.
(d) His wife, Syado, takes her child and runs back to the tribe.
2. In the Sawi language, how many tenses does each verb have?
(a) Each verb has 3 tenses.
(b) Each verb has 19 tenses.
(c) Each verb has 103 tenses.
(d) Each verb has only 1 tense.
3. What ritual does "Eyes Red with Watching" in chapter 23 describe?
(a) The Sawi ritual of grief and veneration.
(b) The Sawi ritual of sleeplessness.
(c) The Sawi ritual of baptism.
(d) The Sawi ritual of new birth.
4. What does Don Richardson respect about the Sawi men?
(a) They are accomplished naturalists and have great courage and survival skills.
(b) They are excellent writers and have captured their history in many books.
(c) He does not respect anything about the Sawi men.
(d) They are well traveled and have been all over the world.
5. Who is the first patriarch in the Sawi tribe to convert to Christianity?
6. What is Don Richardson's first order of business with the Sawi tribe?
(a) To convert the children to Christianity.
(b) To cure the sick and heal the lame.
(c) To learn the Sawi language.
(d) To establish trading alliances with neighboring tribes.
7. How many pigs are being cooked on this first Christmas?
(d) Five hundred.
8. Who is Biakadon?
(a) The leader of the Kumar village.
(b) The legendary god of the sea.
(c) The infant son of Kaiyo and Wumi.
(d) The young man who works for the Richardsons.
9. What insult is hurtled at a Haenam youth which almost starts a serious battle?
(a) He is called "tuan like."
(b) He is called "slow as mud."
(c) He is called "lizard-skin."
(d) He is called "weird old man."
10. What do the women do during battle?
(a) The women shield the children.
(b) The women curse and bang their pounding sticks on the ground.
(c) The women throw stones and sharp rocks at the enemy.
(d) The women taunt their own men to be more brave.
11. What is the second level of despair?
(a) Covering oneself with Sago thorns and rolling on the ground.
(b) Dancing under the gravehouse platform as maggots and rotting flesh rain down.
(c) Starting a bonfire at the death camp.
(d) Dressing the dead person's body in colorful clothing.
12. What does Richardson believe keeps true peace from existing among Sawi people?
(a) The fact that they are illiterate.
(b) The inability of the Sawi people to understand what peace is.
(c) The belief of the Sawi people in demons.
(d) The possibility of tusi asonai man.
13. What gifts are given among the Sawi people at this first Christmas?
(b) Dugout canoes.
(c) Gold coins.
(d) Sago, beetle grubs and wild pork.
14. What is the name of Don and Carol Richardson's second child?
(a) Donald Paul.
(b) Luke Andrew.
(c) Shannon Douglas.
(d) Moses James.
15. Why is it so difficult for the Sawi people to convert to Richardson's faith?
(a) They trust the ancient Sawi culture which is all they have ever known.
(b) They have no spiritual life.
(c) They are cowards and afraid to try anything new.
(d) They cannot speak English.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two villages are fighting on the Tuan's doorstep?
2. What do the Sawi men build on the Kronkel river under Richardson's guidance?
3. What medicine do the Richardsons have which saves the lives of Mavu, Nair and Paha?
4. Why do the young boys spread the news that the Richardson family is eating brains?
5. What problems does Richardson face personally as he starts his sixth month of living with the Sawi people?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)