|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Do the Sawi men believe their children are strong?
(a) They do not care about their own children.
(b) Yes, they believe their own children are immortal.
(c) Yes, they believe their own children can withstand anything.
(d) No, they know their own children are very fragile.
2. Why is Richardson shocked by the dead man Warahai's condition?
(a) Warahai has been eaten by crocodiles.
(b) Warahai is still conscious, has a faint pulse and is breathing.
(c) Warahai has been wrapped in sago leaves.
(d) Warahai has been dead many days.
3. What does Don Richardson believe the real battle is about?
(a) Between the modern world and the stone age world.
(b) Between the savagery and the gospel of peace.
(c) Between women and men.
(d) Between God and Satan.
4. What life forms must the Richardson family learn to live with inside their new home?
(a) Worms, pythons, crocodiles, lions, jungle bears and hippos.
(b) Mosquitoes, cockroaches, crickets, flies, rats, lizards, bats and birds.
(c) Elephants, giraffes, picolos, vultures, eagles and griffins.
(d) Dogs, cats, parakeets, goats, cows, chickens and ducks.
5. Which two village groups need to make peace?
(a) Pirapum and Plactoman.
(b) Kayagar and Atum.
(c) Haenam and Kamur.
(d) Olada and Naydu.
6. What is Don Richardson's first order of business with the Sawi tribe?
(a) To establish trading alliances with neighboring tribes.
(b) To cure the sick and heal the lame.
(c) To learn the Sawi language.
(d) To convert the children to Christianity.
7. What does Richardson believe is stopping the Sawi people from following the Christian path?
(a) Fear of being crucified like Jesus.
(b) Fear of the power of God and Jesus.
(c) Fear of Richardson and the Tuan people.
(d) Fear of unfavorable reaction from the demon world.
8. What do Aham and Richardson have in common?
(a) They both believe that Warahari is dead.
(b) They have nothing in common.
(c) They are both over 60 years of age.
(d) They both believe in a spiritual world, and they both talk to spirit/god.
9. Who is Biakadon?
(a) The young man who works for the Richardsons.
(b) The legendary god of the sea.
(c) The leader of the Kumar village.
(d) The infant son of Kaiyo and Wumi.
10. How many people can be seated at a worship service inside the new Sawidome?
(b) Fifty thousand.
(c) One thousand.
(d) One hundred.
11. What do the Sawi people raise their children to be?
(a) Invisible in the jungle.
(b) Musical and artistic.
(c) Strong willed.
(d) Quiet and reticent.
12. How do the Sawi prepare a body for burial?
(a) Anoint it with fragrant oils.
(b) Coat it in thick mud and dry it in the sun.
(c) Wrap the body in a grass mat, bound with vines around the neck, wrist and ankles.
(d) Singe the skin with fire, cut off all the hair and disfigure the face.
13. What do the Sawi people call Jesus?
(a) Jesus the Tailor, the one who makes us new.
(b) Tawanda Tahoi, the one who is beyond reach.
(c) Tahari Tamala, the spirit who rises again.
(d) Tarap Tim Kodon, the perfect peace child.
14. What ritual does "Eyes Red with Watching" in chapter 23 describe?
(a) The Sawi ritual of new birth.
(b) The Sawi ritual of sleeplessness.
(c) The Sawi ritual of baptism.
(d) The Sawi ritual of grief and veneration.
15. What does "my liver trembles" refer to?
(a) It means "I am extremely hungry."
(b) It means "you have aroused longing in me."
(c) It means "illness has struck me and I am near death."
(d) It means "the day has come for me to die."
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Sawi language, how many tenses does each verb have?
2. Who is the first patriarch in the Sawi tribe to convert to Christianity?
3. What is the name of Don and Carol Richardson's second child?
4. Where are dead bodies interred in a Sawi village?
5. What is "aumamay"?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)