|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the woman, once beautiful, now covered in mud, weeping and wailing in grief?
(a) Wumi, mother of a peace child.
(b) Carol, Don Richardson's wife.
(c) Mary, mother of Jesus.
(d) Watiro, one of the leading women in Kamur.
2. When the Richardsons, Winifred and Mavo fall off the capsized dugout and into the Kronkel river, what happens first?
(a) Crocodiles immediately surround them.
(b) Carol swims to the bank with her infant child.
(c) Winifred and Mavo go back to the dugout and Mavo climbs on top of it.
(d) Richardson rescues Stephen.
3. What have the Sawi villagers constructed around the Richardson home?
(a) Tatious, boat docks.
(b) Satanoun, battle structures.
(c) Saurai, temporary homes.
(d) Nadous, long fireplaces for cooking.
4. Where are dead bodies interred in a Sawi village?
(a) Deep in the earth, directly under the family longhouse.
(b) They are sunk in the Kronkel river just downstream of the village.
(c) In a small, coffin-sized gravehouse, elevated five to fifteen feet above ground.
(d) In a communal grave, on the edge of the village.
5. What gifts are given among the Sawi people at this first Christmas?
(a) Gold coins.
(b) Dugout canoes.
(c) Sago, beetle grubs and wild pork.
6. What insult is hurtled at a Haenam youth which almost starts a serious battle?
(a) He is called "lizard-skin."
(b) He is called "tuan like."
(c) He is called "weird old man."
(d) He is called "slow as mud."
7. In Sawi what does "cool water" mean?
(a) Shocking truth.
(c) Cold nights.
8. What is the fourth level of despair?
(a) Eating food with the hand that had been plunged into the dead person's body.
(b) Sinking the dead person's body into the Kronkel river.
(c) Throwing oneself, briefly, upon the death bonfire.
(d) Throwing oneself into the grave with the dead body.
9. Why are the Sawi people so upset with Don Richardson over his actions with Warahai?
(a) Richardson is not allowing them to carry out their death and dying rituals.
(b) Richardson is keeping the village from going on a wild boar hunt.
(c) Richardson is not allowing the rain gods to bring nourishment to the jungle.
(d) Richardson is trying to save a bad man.
10. What problems does Richardson face personally as he starts his sixth month of living with the Sawi people?
(a) Government interference and high taxes.
(b) Daily threats of violence to his family, his home being set on fire and his mother dying back in Canada.
(c) Monsoon rains which washed away the foundation of his home.
(d) Depression, Stephen's malaria, his wife's pregnancy and a general loss of hope.
11. What is the name of Don and Carol Richardson's second child?
(a) Moses James.
(b) Donald Paul.
(c) Shannon Douglas.
(d) Luke Andrew.
12. In the Sawi language, how many tenses does each verb have?
(a) Each verb has 3 tenses.
(b) Each verb has 19 tenses.
(c) Each verb has only 1 tense.
(d) Each verb has 103 tenses.
13. What medicine do the Richardsons have which saves the lives of Mavu, Nair and Paha?
14. What vision does Aham have which convinces the Sawi villagers that there is no hope for Warahai?
(a) A vision of Warahai speaking to her from the other side.
(b) A vision of a great tall Walahari bird which tells her to let go of Warahai.
(c) A vision of a spirit flock which cover the village as they fly over.
(d) A vision of a spirit which ambushes Warahai's soul and eats it.
15. What are the two pillars Richardson refers to?
(a) The pillars of wealth and fame.
(b) The pillar of treacherous violence and the pillar of the peace child.
(c) The center two pillars which support the manhouse.
(d) The pillars of the Old Testament and the New Testament.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Er when he makes advances towards a girl?
2. What does "Myao Kondon" mean?
3. What do the women do during battle?
4. What do Aham and Richardson have in common?
5. Why do the young boys spread the news that the Richardson family is eating brains?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)