|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the woman, once beautiful, now covered in mud, weeping and wailing in grief?
(a) Wumi, mother of a peace child.
(b) Carol, Don Richardson's wife.
(c) Mary, mother of Jesus.
(d) Watiro, one of the leading women in Kamur.
2. How many people can be seated at a worship service inside the new Sawidome?
(b) One thousand.
(c) Fifty thousand.
(d) One hundred.
3. What is Don Richardson's first order of business with the Sawi tribe?
(a) To learn the Sawi language.
(b) To cure the sick and heal the lame.
(c) To convert the children to Christianity.
(d) To establish trading alliances with neighboring tribes.
4. How many pigs are being cooked on this first Christmas?
(c) Five hundred.
5. Why is Richardson so excited about the peace child ritual?
(a) He believes that Christianity must have been introduced to the Sawi long ago.
(b) It shows the Sawi people are capable of understanding and practicing peace.
(c) He is not excited; he thinks it is all very hopeless and sad.
(d) He thinks it will make a good book.
6. How do the Sawi prepare a body for burial?
(a) Coat it in thick mud and dry it in the sun.
(b) Wrap the body in a grass mat, bound with vines around the neck, wrist and ankles.
(c) Singe the skin with fire, cut off all the hair and disfigure the face.
(d) Anoint it with fragrant oils.
7. In the Sawi language, how many tenses does each verb have?
(a) Each verb has only 1 tense.
(b) Each verb has 103 tenses.
(c) Each verb has 3 tenses.
(d) Each verb has 19 tenses.
8. Why does Amio want Hurip to die?
(a) Hurip tried to kill Amio earlier in the day.
(b) Hurip owes Amio much money and will not pay.
(c) Hurip killed the peace child which Hato, Amio's father, gave to the Kayagar.
(d) Hurip is his father's uncle and not to be trusted.
9. What does Richardson conclude has been the reason Sawi people have survived so long?
(a) Their habit of bathing in the river.
(b) Their habit of aggressive fighting.
(c) Their habit of living in small, isolated groups.
(d) Their habit of fishing and hunting.
10. What fruits and flowers do the missionaries introduce to the Sawi?
(a) Watermelon, oranges and grapefruit.
(b) Pineapple, coconut palms, lemon trees and hibiscus.
(c) Apple trees, green beans, potatoes and tomatoes.
(d) Peaches, sago and apricots.
11. What have the Sawi villagers constructed around the Richardson home?
(a) Tatious, boat docks.
(b) Satanoun, battle structures.
(c) Saurai, temporary homes.
(d) Nadous, long fireplaces for cooking.
12. What does Richardson believe is stopping the Sawi people from following the Christian path?
(a) Fear of Richardson and the Tuan people.
(b) Fear of unfavorable reaction from the demon world.
(c) Fear of the power of God and Jesus.
(d) Fear of being crucified like Jesus.
13. Who is Biakadon?
(a) The infant son of Kaiyo and Wumi.
(b) The young man who works for the Richardsons.
(c) The leader of the Kumar village.
(d) The legendary god of the sea.
14. What are the relatives of Warahai doing to his body now that they believe his soul has left?
(a) Laying sago bread across his chest.
(b) Carrying him around the village on their shoulders.
(c) Putting heavy stones on him in order to sink his body to the bottom of the river.
(d) Burning him with coals, shouting his name and pinching him.
15. What does "Myao Kondon" mean?
(a) The big tree just beyond view.
(b) The end of the end.
(c) The greatest Spirit.
(d) The thousand lakes and rivers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Aham and Richardson have in common?
2. What is the first level of despair?
3. What problems does Richardson face personally as he starts his sixth month of living with the Sawi people?
4. Why is Hato so filled with grief?
5. Why are the Sawi people so upset with Don Richardson over his actions with Warahai?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)