|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Beray not welcoming to the men from Wiyar?
(a) They had cannibalized his father six years earlier.
(b) Beray had been banished from Wiyar.
(c) Beray had recently been attacked by the Wiyar men.
(d) They would not let him marry into the tribe.
2. What is the first level of despair?
(a) Sleeping with the body of the person who has died.
(b) Hiking three miles to a nearby death camp.
(c) Waiting for nine days and nights as the body decomposes in the grave house.
(d) Tearing one's clothing and covering oneself in ashes.
3. How many teachers are working in the new Sawi school?
(b) One hundred.
(c) Five hundred.
4. What does Richardson organize to celebrate his first Christmas with the Sawi?
(a) A trip for his family to Australia.
(b) A large scale inter-village feast.
(c) A huge ironwood tree covered with ornaments.
(d) A Bible study for a few close Sawi friends.
5. What does the word "navo" mean in Sawi?
(c) Help me.
6. What medicine do the Richardsons have which saves the lives of Mavu, Nair and Paha?
7. What does "gefam ason" mean?
(a) The end of the world.
(b) Paddling through the storm.
(c) Tasting nothing.
(d) Touching the stench.
8. What is Don Richardson's first order of business with the Sawi tribe?
(a) To convert the children to Christianity.
(b) To cure the sick and heal the lame.
(c) To establish trading alliances with neighboring tribes.
(d) To learn the Sawi language.
9. What vision does Aham have which convinces the Sawi villagers that there is no hope for Warahai?
(a) A vision of Warahai speaking to her from the other side.
(b) A vision of a great tall Walahari bird which tells her to let go of Warahai.
(c) A vision of a spirit which ambushes Warahai's soul and eats it.
(d) A vision of a spirit flock which cover the village as they fly over.
10. Who comes in a dugout to help the stranded party?
(a) The Dutch government authorities.
(b) The outcast of the Kamur tribe, Natato.
(c) Mavo's own father, Taeri, and his daughter Aray.
(d) Another Tuan missionary.
11. In 1963 who does the Dutch government begin to give control of the Netherlands New Guinea to?
(a) Through the World Court they give control to Australia.
(b) Through the League of Nations they give control to the United States.
(c) Through the Geneva Accord they give control to the Sawi.
(d) Through the United Nations they transfer control to Indonesian sovereignty.
12. What gifts are given among the Sawi people at this first Christmas?
(a) Dugout canoes.
(b) Sago, beetle grubs and wild pork.
(c) Gold coins.
13. What does Richardson conclude has been the reason Sawi people have survived so long?
(a) Their habit of fishing and hunting.
(b) Their habit of living in small, isolated groups.
(c) Their habit of aggressive fighting.
(d) Their habit of bathing in the river.
14. What life forms must the Richardson family learn to live with inside their new home?
(a) Elephants, giraffes, picolos, vultures, eagles and griffins.
(b) Dogs, cats, parakeets, goats, cows, chickens and ducks.
(c) Mosquitoes, cockroaches, crickets, flies, rats, lizards, bats and birds.
(d) Worms, pythons, crocodiles, lions, jungle bears and hippos.
15. When the Richardsons, Winifred and Mavo fall off the capsized dugout and into the Kronkel river, what happens first?
(a) Richardson rescues Stephen.
(b) Winifred and Mavo go back to the dugout and Mavo climbs on top of it.
(c) Crocodiles immediately surround them.
(d) Carol swims to the bank with her infant child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is willing to give up his only son?
2. What happens to Er when he makes advances towards a girl?
3. Who is the first patriarch in the Sawi tribe to convert to Christianity?
4. Mahean is the first to step forward to try to carry out the peace child ritual. What stops him?
5. What do Sawi people do if twins are born?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)