|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many pigs are being cooked on this first Christmas?
(d) Five hundred.
2. What does Richardson build after five years among the Sawi to replace his small thatchbox home?
(a) A three-bedroom dwelling.
(b) A riverboat home.
(c) An underground bunker.
(d) A 14-bedroom hotel.
3. Why do the young boys spread the news that the Richardson family is eating brains?
(a) Because their macaroni supper looks like brains.
(b) Because the Richardsons frighten them.
(c) Because they are lying to get attention.
(d) Because Richardsons tell the boys this to frighten them.
4. How many people can be seated at a worship service inside the new Sawidome?
(a) Fifty thousand.
(b) One thousand.
(d) One hundred.
5. Why are the Sawi people so upset with Don Richardson over his actions with Warahai?
(a) Richardson is keeping the village from going on a wild boar hunt.
(b) Richardson is not allowing the rain gods to bring nourishment to the jungle.
(c) Richardson is trying to save a bad man.
(d) Richardson is not allowing them to carry out their death and dying rituals.
6. What is the third level of despair?
(a) Throwing the bones of the deceased upon the death camp bonfire.
(b) Plunging one's hand deep into the putrid body cavity of the dead person.
(c) Setting the dead person's body onto a river raft, loaded with stones.
(d) Standing for several hours absolutely still, next to the body.
7. What does "my liver trembles" refer to?
(a) It means "I am extremely hungry."
(b) It means "you have aroused longing in me."
(c) It means "the day has come for me to die."
(d) It means "illness has struck me and I am near death."
8. What does Richardson believe is stopping the Sawi people from following the Christian path?
(a) Fear of being crucified like Jesus.
(b) Fear of the power of God and Jesus.
(c) Fear of Richardson and the Tuan people.
(d) Fear of unfavorable reaction from the demon world.
9. Where are dead bodies interred in a Sawi village?
(a) They are sunk in the Kronkel river just downstream of the village.
(b) In a small, coffin-sized gravehouse, elevated five to fifteen feet above ground.
(c) In a communal grave, on the edge of the village.
(d) Deep in the earth, directly under the family longhouse.
10. Who is willing to give up his only son?
11. What does Richardson believe keeps true peace from existing among Sawi people?
(a) The fact that they are illiterate.
(b) The inability of the Sawi people to understand what peace is.
(c) The belief of the Sawi people in demons.
(d) The possibility of tusi asonai man.
12. What do the Sawi men build on the Kronkel river under Richardson's guidance?
(a) A breakwater barrier.
(b) A huge raft made of ironwood poles.
(c) A 110-foot iron bridge.
(d) A small island made of concrete.
13. What is the first thing Warahi says when he comes out of his coma?
(a) "Where am I?"
(b) "O Mother, don't be sad."
(c) "Help me up, I must walk."
(d) "I am hungry."
14. What two villages are fighting on the Tuan's doorstep?
(a) The Kamur and Haenam villages are in battle.
(b) The Kayangar and the Sawi are in battle.
(c) The Sawi are fighting the Tuan.
(d) The Harasiomi and the Kaondahari are fighting.
15. What are the relatives of Warahai doing to his body now that they believe his soul has left?
(a) Carrying him around the village on their shoulders.
(b) Burning him with coals, shouting his name and pinching him.
(c) Putting heavy stones on him in order to sink his body to the bottom of the river.
(d) Laying sago bread across his chest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richardson conclude has been the reason Sawi people have survived so long?
2. What does the word "navo" mean in Sawi?
3. Why is Hato so filled with grief?
4. Why does Amio want Hurip to die?
5. What life forms must the Richardson family learn to live with inside their new home?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)