|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Beray not welcoming to the men from Wiyar?
(a) They would not let him marry into the tribe.
(b) Beray had recently been attacked by the Wiyar men.
(c) They had cannibalized his father six years earlier.
(d) Beray had been banished from Wiyar.
2. What does Richardson believe is stopping the Sawi people from following the Christian path?
(a) Fear of Richardson and the Tuan people.
(b) Fear of unfavorable reaction from the demon world.
(c) Fear of being crucified like Jesus.
(d) Fear of the power of God and Jesus.
3. What brings a time of peace to the Sawi tribes?
(a) The weather is very calm.
(b) The river is full of fish.
(c) The Tuans give many gifts.
(d) The peace child exchange between two villages.
4. What does Richardson believe keeps true peace from existing among Sawi people?
(a) The belief of the Sawi people in demons.
(b) The inability of the Sawi people to understand what peace is.
(c) The fact that they are illiterate.
(d) The possibility of tusi asonai man.
5. What is the second level of despair?
(a) Dancing under the gravehouse platform as maggots and rotting flesh rain down.
(b) Dressing the dead person's body in colorful clothing.
(c) Starting a bonfire at the death camp.
(d) Covering oneself with Sago thorns and rolling on the ground.
6. Why is Richardson so excited about the peace child ritual?
(a) It shows the Sawi people are capable of understanding and practicing peace.
(b) He is not excited; he thinks it is all very hopeless and sad.
(c) He thinks it will make a good book.
(d) He believes that Christianity must have been introduced to the Sawi long ago.
7. What is Don Richardson most shocked to discover about the Sawi people?
(a) That they eat no fruit.
(b) That they honor cruelty.
(c) That they often get lost.
(d) That they honor goodness and light.
8. What does "Myao Kondon" mean?
(a) The end of the end.
(b) The big tree just beyond view.
(c) The thousand lakes and rivers.
(d) The greatest Spirit.
9. What problems does Richardson face personally as he starts his sixth month of living with the Sawi people?
(a) Depression, Stephen's malaria, his wife's pregnancy and a general loss of hope.
(b) Monsoon rains which washed away the foundation of his home.
(c) Daily threats of violence to his family, his home being set on fire and his mother dying back in Canada.
(d) Government interference and high taxes.
10. What happens to Er when he makes advances towards a girl?
(a) She accuses him of terrible things and he is banished.
(b) She chases him into the river.
(c) Her male relatives shoot him with arrows.
(d) He is forced to marry the girl.
11. What ritual does "Eyes Red with Watching" in chapter 23 describe?
(a) The Sawi ritual of grief and veneration.
(b) The Sawi ritual of new birth.
(c) The Sawi ritual of baptism.
(d) The Sawi ritual of sleeplessness.
12. What is Don Richardson's first order of business with the Sawi tribe?
(a) To learn the Sawi language.
(b) To cure the sick and heal the lame.
(c) To convert the children to Christianity.
(d) To establish trading alliances with neighboring tribes.
13. What does Richardson organize to celebrate his first Christmas with the Sawi?
(a) A trip for his family to Australia.
(b) A huge ironwood tree covered with ornaments.
(c) A large scale inter-village feast.
(d) A Bible study for a few close Sawi friends.
14. What is the fourth level of despair?
(a) Eating food with the hand that had been plunged into the dead person's body.
(b) Throwing oneself, briefly, upon the death bonfire.
(c) Throwing oneself into the grave with the dead body.
(d) Sinking the dead person's body into the Kronkel river.
15. What is Aham's role in the village?
(a) She is a sorceresses who has visions of spiritual events.
(b) She is the leader of the women.
(c) She is a naturopath.
(d) She is a herbalist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first patriarch in the Sawi tribe to convert to Christianity?
2. How does the author describe a Sawi manhouse?
3. What machine does the Richardson family have that is very mysterious to the Sawi people?
4. How do the Sawi prepare a body for burial?
5. Why is Richardson shocked by the dead man Warahai's condition?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)