|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Biakadon?
(a) The leader of the Kumar village.
(b) The legendary god of the sea.
(c) The infant son of Kaiyo and Wumi.
(d) The young man who works for the Richardsons.
2. Who comes in a dugout to help the stranded party?
(a) The outcast of the Kamur tribe, Natato.
(b) Another Tuan missionary.
(c) Mavo's own father, Taeri, and his daughter Aray.
(d) The Dutch government authorities.
3. What is the second level of despair?
(a) Dressing the dead person's body in colorful clothing.
(b) Starting a bonfire at the death camp.
(c) Dancing under the gravehouse platform as maggots and rotting flesh rain down.
(d) Covering oneself with Sago thorns and rolling on the ground.
4. Do the Sawi men believe their children are strong?
(a) Yes, they believe their own children can withstand anything.
(b) No, they know their own children are very fragile.
(c) Yes, they believe their own children are immortal.
(d) They do not care about their own children.
5. What does Richardson believe is stopping the Sawi people from following the Christian path?
(a) Fear of being crucified like Jesus.
(b) Fear of Richardson and the Tuan people.
(c) Fear of the power of God and Jesus.
(d) Fear of unfavorable reaction from the demon world.
6. What is "aumamay"?
(a) The Sawi believe it is the only way to go to heaven.
(b) The Sawi believe it is "apparent life" when the body still lives but the soul is gone.
(c) The Sawi believe it is the power of the River God Tatau visited upon the living.
(d) The Sawi believe it is a state of spiritual confusion.
7. Who is willing to give up his only son?
8. What is the name of Don and Carol Richardson's second child?
(a) Luke Andrew.
(b) Donald Paul.
(c) Shannon Douglas.
(d) Moses James.
9. What have the Sawi villagers constructed around the Richardson home?
(a) Satanoun, battle structures.
(b) Nadous, long fireplaces for cooking.
(c) Saurai, temporary homes.
(d) Tatious, boat docks.
10. What does Hato say about God?
(a) "God must be very, very far away."
(b) "God must not care for us if such things happen."
(c) "God must have been sad just like me."
(d) "God does not know what he is doing."
11. What is the third level of despair?
(a) Standing for several hours absolutely still, next to the body.
(b) Setting the dead person's body onto a river raft, loaded with stones.
(c) Plunging one's hand deep into the putrid body cavity of the dead person.
(d) Throwing the bones of the deceased upon the death camp bonfire.
12. What is Aham's role in the village?
(a) She is the leader of the women.
(b) She is a naturopath.
(c) She is a sorceresses who has visions of spiritual events.
(d) She is a herbalist.
13. What does the word "navo" mean in Sawi?
(c) Help me.
14. In the story about Jesus, who do the Sawi admire?
(a) Mary Magdalene.
(d) Pontius Pilate.
15. What is the first level of despair?
(a) Sleeping with the body of the person who has died.
(b) Hiking three miles to a nearby death camp.
(c) Waiting for nine days and nights as the body decomposes in the grave house.
(d) Tearing one's clothing and covering oneself in ashes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it so difficult for the Sawi people to convert to Richardson's faith?
2. What do the Sawi people call Jesus?
3. What does "Myao Kondon" mean?
4. What does Richardson conclude has been the reason Sawi people have survived so long?
5. How many people can be seated at a worship service inside the new Sawidome?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)