|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Don Richardson respect about the Sawi men?
(a) They are well traveled and have been all over the world.
(b) He does not respect anything about the Sawi men.
(c) They are accomplished naturalists and have great courage and survival skills.
(d) They are excellent writers and have captured their history in many books.
2. What ritual does "Eyes Red with Watching" in chapter 23 describe?
(a) The Sawi ritual of grief and veneration.
(b) The Sawi ritual of new birth.
(c) The Sawi ritual of baptism.
(d) The Sawi ritual of sleeplessness.
3. What does Don Richardson say to the battling warriors?
(a) "Es! That's enough!"
(b) "Get out of my front yard!"
(c) "No more steel tools unless you stop!"
(d) "There is another way!"
4. What is the name of Don and Carol Richardson's second child?
(a) Shannon Douglas.
(b) Moses James.
(c) Donald Paul.
(d) Luke Andrew.
5. What does Hato say about God?
(a) "God must be very, very far away."
(b) "God must not care for us if such things happen."
(c) "God does not know what he is doing."
(d) "God must have been sad just like me."
6. What are the two pillars Richardson refers to?
(a) The pillars of wealth and fame.
(b) The center two pillars which support the manhouse.
(c) The pillar of treacherous violence and the pillar of the peace child.
(d) The pillars of the Old Testament and the New Testament.
7. Why is Beray not welcoming to the men from Wiyar?
(a) They would not let him marry into the tribe.
(b) Beray had been banished from Wiyar.
(c) They had cannibalized his father six years earlier.
(d) Beray had recently been attacked by the Wiyar men.
8. What fruits and flowers do the missionaries introduce to the Sawi?
(a) Watermelon, oranges and grapefruit.
(b) Apple trees, green beans, potatoes and tomatoes.
(c) Peaches, sago and apricots.
(d) Pineapple, coconut palms, lemon trees and hibiscus.
9. What is the first thing Warahi says when he comes out of his coma?
(a) "Where am I?"
(b) "Help me up, I must walk."
(c) "O Mother, don't be sad."
(d) "I am hungry."
10. In the Sawi language, how many tenses does each verb have?
(a) Each verb has 19 tenses.
(b) Each verb has 3 tenses.
(c) Each verb has only 1 tense.
(d) Each verb has 103 tenses.
11. Near the end of the book, Richardson describes a new place where the mission plane lands. What is that place?
(a) The long sago bridge.
(b) The recently built airstrip.
(c) A floating bridge on the Kronkel.
(d) An ocean carrier.
12. What does Richardson conclude has been the reason Sawi people have survived so long?
(a) Their habit of living in small, isolated groups.
(b) Their habit of bathing in the river.
(c) Their habit of fishing and hunting.
(d) Their habit of aggressive fighting.
13. In the story about Jesus, who do the Sawi admire?
(a) Mary Magdalene.
(b) Pontius Pilate.
14. How many people can be seated at a worship service inside the new Sawidome?
(a) Fifty thousand.
(b) One thousand.
(c) One hundred.
15. Why are the Sawi people so upset with Don Richardson over his actions with Warahai?
(a) Richardson is keeping the village from going on a wild boar hunt.
(b) Richardson is not allowing them to carry out their death and dying rituals.
(c) Richardson is not allowing the rain gods to bring nourishment to the jungle.
(d) Richardson is trying to save a bad man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Warahai's mother crouched over the body of her son, covering his loins with her face and hands?
2. What do the Sawi people raise their children to be?
3. Why is it so important to Richardson that the patriarchs, the older men, convert to Christianity?
4. What two villages are fighting on the Tuan's doorstep?
5. What have the Sawi villagers constructed around the Richardson home?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)