|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unique about the kidari along the Kronkel river?
(a) The kidari has dangerous currents which should be avoided.
(b) The kidari has many types of exotic fish which visit it.
(c) The kidari is the longest straight stretch of the river.
(d) The kidari is a waterfall which falls some 500 feet.
2. Why do the elders Kigo, Hatu and Numu volunteer to make contact with the Tuans?
(a) The elders are forced by their tribesmen to do this.
(b) The elders are near death anyway and think they have little to lose
(c) These elders have learned some of the Auyu language and think maybe that is what the Tuans speak.
(d) The elders are confused and don't know what they are doing.
3. What does Richardson like about the possibility of building on the kidari?
(a) It is surrounded by huge stone walls.
(b) It is in the middle of a large village.
(c) It is a good place for the mission plane to land.
(d) It is close to connections for electricity and gas.
4. Who is waiting at the new homesite when the Richardsons arrive?
(a) No one is waiting. The whole area is deserted.
(b) Hato and Yae.
(c) Two hundred armed warriors and many women and children,
(d) John McCain and his wife.
5. What flag flies on the deck of the "super canoe"?
(a) The Irian Jaya flag.
(b) The Dutch flag.
(c) The stars and stripes of the United States.
(d) The flag of pirates.
6. What is the weather like on the day the Richardson family arrives at their new home?
(a) It is a cold night, almost freezing, when they arrive.
(b) It is a rainy tropical day during the monsoon.
(c) It is a hot, humid day in the jungle.
(d) It is a very windy, chilly day on the high plains.
7. Why are the Kayagar men upset with Richardson when he announces his intention to build a home in Sawi territory?
(a) The Kayagar men are afraid of the Sawi and think that Richardson will be killed.
(b) The village of Amyam is desperate to have a Tuan live with them.
(c) The Kayagar people don't want to paddle all the way down the river.
(d) The Kayagar village of Amyam is better at building houses than the Sawi.
8. What is the Eren ceremony?
(a) A ritual in which a girl or woman is given the full status of matriarch.
(b) A ritual in which a girl or woman is given the jawbone of a freshly killed victim.
(c) A ritual in which women cook pork and sago to celebrate the full moon.
(d) A ceremony in which a man and woman adopt orphaned children.
9. When Don Richardson first goes to work with the Sawi people, what foreign nation had claimed that area as its own?
(a) The Netherlands.
(b) The Germans.
(c) The Americans.
(d) The Australians.
10. What does "Kanggime" mean in the language Dani?
(a) Mission State.
(b) The place of death.
(c) Land without time.
(d) Waiting until the sun comes up.
11. Which of these terms can be used to describe the tribe?
(a) Creative imaginative artists.
(b) Modern aggressive innovators.
(c) Saintly contemplative monks.
(d) Cannibalistic head hunters.
12. What do the Sawi warriors do when they meet Don Richardson and John McCain for the first time?
(a) They launch an attack of arrows.
(b) They stand in their canoes completely and totally still.
(c) Most of the warriors faint and have to be revived with camphor.
(d) They panic, many of them leaping out of the canoes; everyone trembling.
13. What event shatters the air of tension between the tribes on the first day of building?
(a) A boat from John McCain arrives
(b) Richardson begins to rail and rage at both tribes.
(c) The Missionary Aviation Fellowship plane arrives.
(d) A storm suddenly appears and lightning strikes the building.
14. How many tribes are in the area of New Guinea?
(a) Fifteen distinct tribes.
(b) Only one.
(c) Five distinct tribes and ten which could not be classified.
(d) An estimated four hundred.
15. What time of day does the Richardson family arrive at their new home?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the patriarch of the Tumdu?
2. How many wives does Yae's cousin Wasi have?
3. Do the Sawi warriors bring weapons with them to Pirimapun?
4. What are the two new tools Richardson gives the men of Tumdu?
5. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)