|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Yae's wife, Kautap, cooking as Yae waits to go to Haenam?
(a) In the summer kitchen which is a separate building out back.
(b) In a small boat floating on the river.
(c) At the central place inside the treehouse.
(d) At the stove in her government-supplied trailer.
2. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
(a) Kauwan is deaf and cannot hear Yae's cry of fear.
(b) Kauwan is Yae's brother and has no power.
(c) Kauwan has been taken away to the jungle by his family.
(d) Kauwan has been promised a wife by one of the village men.
3. Are the Sawi women involved in head hunting?
(a) Yes, they often lead the charge to the offending village.
(b) Not directly, but they encourage murder and would participate in clubbing to death wounded victims.
(c) Yes, they are very good with spears and often had better aim than their husbands.
(d) The Sawi women are involved only if they are married.
4. How many pounds does the average wild boar weigh?
(a) 1,000 pounds.
(b) 10 pounds.
(c) 50 pounds.
(d) 180 pounds.
5. Why are the Kayagar men upset with Richardson when he announces his intention to build a home in Sawi territory?
(a) The Kayagar people don't want to paddle all the way down the river.
(b) The Kayagar men are afraid of the Sawi and think that Richardson will be killed.
(c) The village of Amyam is desperate to have a Tuan live with them.
(d) The Kayagar village of Amyam is better at building houses than the Sawi.
6. What kind of flour do the Sawi women use to make bread?
(a) Sago flour.
(b) Whole wheat flour.
(c) Rice flour.
(d) Bamboo fiber flour.
7. When Don Richardson first goes to work with the Sawi people, what foreign nation had claimed that area as its own?
(a) The Netherlands.
(b) The Germans.
(c) The Australians.
(d) The Americans.
8. Who is building Richardson's house?
(a) Kayagar, Atohwaem and Sawi tribes, along with Richardson and McCain build the home.
(b) Richardson builds the home by himself.
(c) Richardson brings in missionaries from all over New Guinea to build.
(d) The Sawi women are the builders of Richardson's home.
9. What does Richardson build his home with?
(a) Ironwood, split palm bark, mangrove poles and sago fronds.
(b) Oak, cherry, and walnut.
(c) He brings in a small airstream trailer and sets it on a platform.
(d) Parts of an old boat which was moored on the river nearby.
10. What event shatters the air of tension between the tribes on the first day of building?
(a) A boat from John McCain arrives
(b) A storm suddenly appears and lightning strikes the building.
(c) The Missionary Aviation Fellowship plane arrives.
(d) Richardson begins to rail and rage at both tribes.
11. What do the Sawi warriors bring on their first trading mission to Pirimapun?
(a) Sago flour, beetle grubs, lori parrots and chickens.
(b) Pottery made from dark red riverbank clay.
(c) Elaborately carved masks and feather-adorned costumes.
(d) Guns, ammunition, spears and dynamite.
12. Why is Yae going on a journey to the nearby village of Haenam?
(a) He is campaigning for political office and needs the support of Haenam villagers.
(b) He is going to visit his mother who lives in Haenam.
(c) He is thinking of moving from Mauro to Haenam.
(d) He is trying to forge an alliance between his village, Mauro, and Haenam.
13. What does Don Richardson interpret the tumult of Sawi activity as?
(a) A baptism into a new and strange world.
(b) A chance to learn the Sawi language.
(c) A dangerous cannibalistic ritual.
(d) The beginning of a violent war between Sawi and Tuan.
14. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
(a) Because it would show how wise she was.
(b) Because of lice.
(c) Because her husband has died.
(d) Because it customary for a bride to have a shaved head.
15. What year do the Richardsons go to New Guinea?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Sawi warriors do when they meet Don Richardson and John McCain for the first time?
2. Why must the women, young men and children leave when Yae's skull is cracked open?
3. What is Carol Richardson feeling as she steps onto the bank of her new home?
4. How does Yae get from the tree house to the ground?
5. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)