|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
(a) He has been visiting them for seven months and they have been very friendly and warm.
(b) He is bringing them steel axes and a chain saw.
(c) He is carrying a concealed gun so that if there is trouble, he can defend himself.
(d) He is marrying the chief's daughter and will soon be related to the tribe.
2. How many treehouses are there, in total, in the Mauro village?
(d) Seven hundred and fifty.
3. Why are the Kayagar men upset with Richardson when he announces his intention to build a home in Sawi territory?
(a) The Kayagar village of Amyam is better at building houses than the Sawi.
(b) The village of Amyam is desperate to have a Tuan live with them.
(c) The Kayagar people don't want to paddle all the way down the river.
(d) The Kayagar men are afraid of the Sawi and think that Richardson will be killed.
4. What does the high pitched command signal should happen?
(a) It signals that the children should ask for food and water.
(b) It signals that everyone should go home.
(c) It signals that the Richardsons should be attacked and brought down.
(d) It signals that the drums should begin.
5. Who is waiting at the new homesite when the Richardsons arrive?
(a) Hato and Yae.
(b) No one is waiting. The whole area is deserted.
(c) John McCain and his wife.
(d) Two hundred armed warriors and many women and children,
6. What event shatters the air of tension between the tribes on the first day of building?
(a) A storm suddenly appears and lightning strikes the building.
(b) The Missionary Aviation Fellowship plane arrives.
(c) A boat from John McCain arrives
(d) Richardson begins to rail and rage at both tribes.
7. Yae's young brother Sao is ill. What is his sickness?
(a) Sao has an immune system infection similar to AIDS.
(b) Sao has developed early dementia.
(c) Sao is mentally ill.
(d) Sao has malaria.
8. Who is Patches?
(a) The translator who makes "patchwork" of the early communications with the Sawi tribe.
(b) The cook who makes fried sago worms for Richardson's family.
(c) The nickname for Richardson's young son.
(d) The fierce watchdog that lives with the missionary family of John McCain.
9. What does seven-month-old Stephen think of his first journey down the Kronkel river?
(a) Stephen is bored and plays with his toys, rarely looking up.
(b) Stephen is very frightened and cannot stop crying.
(c) Stephen is full of wonder and awe.
(d) Stephen sleeps the entire way.
10. What does "Kanggime" mean in the language Dani?
(a) Land without time.
(b) Mission State.
(c) Waiting until the sun comes up.
(d) The place of death.
11. Why do the Richardsons go to live in New Guinea?
(a) They have no choice; they are sent by their families.
(b) They feel called to serve God as missionaries.
(c) They think the climate would be good for their health.
(d) They are writing a book on ancient cultures and want to do research.
12. A typical stone axe would be swung 40 times to fell a tree. How many times does Hurip have to swing his steel axe to cut down the tree?
(a) 39 times.
(c) 80 times.
(d) Four times
13. Why is Hadi so important to Don Richardson?
(a) Hadi is the only Sawi who can read.
(b) Hadi is blind and Richardson feels very sorry for him.
(c) He is the first Sawi that Richardson has contact with and he speaks several tribal languages.
(d) Richardson feels that somehow Hadi is related to him.
14. Why is Yae going on a journey to the nearby village of Haenam?
(a) He is going to visit his mother who lives in Haenam.
(b) He is campaigning for political office and needs the support of Haenam villagers.
(c) He is thinking of moving from Mauro to Haenam.
(d) He is trying to forge an alliance between his village, Mauro, and Haenam.
15. What vessel does the Richardson family use to arrive at their new home?
(a) A speedboat.
(b) A plane.
(c) A rowboat with diesel motor.
(d) A long dugout canoe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a good strategy for a Sawi village that wants to take revenge against another village?
2. What do the Sawi assume when they hear that the Tuans are almost all men?
3. What do the Sawi warriors do when they meet Don Richardson and John McCain for the first time?
4. What is Don Richardson feeling as he steps onto the bank of the Kronkel and meets those who are waiting for them?
5. Where is Netherlands New Guinea, or Irian Jaya as it is later called, located in relation to Australia?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)