|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Yae sitting at the beginning of chapter one?
(a) Yae is sitting in the hospital where his wife is dying in childbirth.
(b) Yae is sitting in his treehouse, forty feet above the Kronkel river.
(c) Yae is sitting by the man-made pool in his backyard.
(d) Yae is sitting in a plane which is on its way to Istanbul.
2. How many treehouses are there, in total, in the Mauro village?
(d) Seven hundred and fifty.
3. How many tribes are in the area of New Guinea?
(a) Only one.
(b) An estimated four hundred.
(c) Five distinct tribes and ten which could not be classified.
(d) Fifteen distinct tribes.
4. What do the Tuans give the elders who come out to meet them for the first time?
(a) Pens, paper and stamps.
(b) Matches, razorblades and fishing equipment.
(c) A bible, radio and a flashlight.
(d) Necklaces made of brightly colored beads.
5. What year do the Richardsons go to New Guinea?
6. What does the high pitched command signal should happen?
(a) It signals that the children should ask for food and water.
(b) It signals that everyone should go home.
(c) It signals that the Richardsons should be attacked and brought down.
(d) It signals that the drums should begin.
7. What does Don Richardson do that frightens the Sawi people away from his house?
(a) He throws a handful of firecrackers out of the front door.
(b) He shoots a shot gun in their direction.
(c) He lights a kerosene lamp in the darkness.
(d) He eats brains.
8. What kind of flour do the Sawi women use to make bread?
(a) Whole wheat flour.
(b) Rice flour.
(c) Sago flour.
(d) Bamboo fiber flour.
9. Where is Netherlands New Guinea, or Irian Jaya as it is later called, located in relation to Australia?
(a) It is in Australia, right in the central district.
(b) Southwest of Australia.
(c) Directly north of Australia.
(d) It is not near Australia but located near India.
10. What brings the Sawi villagers to a sudden halt when they hear it for the first time?
(a) The song of a lark at break of day.
(b) The explosion of a nuclear bomb.
(c) The diesel engines of the Dutch military boats.
(d) The large migration of birds which flew overhead.
11. Why is Yae going on a journey to the nearby village of Haenam?
(a) He is thinking of moving from Mauro to Haenam.
(b) He is going to visit his mother who lives in Haenam.
(c) He is trying to forge an alliance between his village, Mauro, and Haenam.
(d) He is campaigning for political office and needs the support of Haenam villagers.
12. What do the Tuans reportedly have to prevent fever and heal sores?
(a) Antibiotics and oxygen tanks.
(b) Witchcraft called "obat."
(c) Fire breathing guns.
(d) Animal totems.
13. What event shatters the air of tension between the tribes on the first day of building?
(a) Richardson begins to rail and rage at both tribes.
(b) A storm suddenly appears and lightning strikes the building.
(c) A boat from John McCain arrives
(d) The Missionary Aviation Fellowship plane arrives.
14. What is Don Richardson feeling as he steps onto the bank of the Kronkel and meets those who are waiting for them?
(a) He is feeling triumphant at having made the voyage.
(b) He is frightened that he may have misread the situation.
(c) He is psyching himself up for the sermon he is going to give.
(d) He is angry at his wife for being so scared.
15. How does Richardson deal with the Kayagar chief, Yae, when the chief begins to speak loudly?
(a) Richardson gets on his knees and prays loudly for peace.
(b) Richardson hits Yae very hard with a pile driver.
(c) Richardson gets the Sawi chief to fight Yae.
(d) Richardson puts his hand on Yae's shoulder and speaks English in a soothing tone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
2. What is a good strategy for a Sawi village that wants to take revenge against another village?
3. What do the Sawi warriors do when they meet Don Richardson and John McCain for the first time?
4. Who is Ebenezer G. Vine?
5. What part of the human skeleton do Sawi children play with?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)