|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Narai do when he sees the arrival of the Richardsons?
(a) He blows a warning signal on his bamboo horn to the other tribespeople.
(b) He sends a warning shot on the new gun that Richardson gave him.
(c) He shoots a flaming arrow back towards the village.
(d) He sends up a flare to the other tribespeople.
2. Who is the patriarch of the Tumdu?
3. What is the name of the tribe that Don Richardson and his wife Carol live with?
(a) The Soweto tribe.
(b) The Sowanda tribe.
(c) The South End tribe.
(d) The Sawi tribe.
4. What is the only safe way for a Sawi person to drink water from the river?
(a) To put one's head underwater completely and drink.
(b) The river water must never be drunk. It is full of germs.
(c) To drink it with a straw-like tool made of sago leaves.
(d) To toss each scoop of water in the air and catch it in one's mouth.
5. What is a good strategy for a Sawi village that wants to take revenge against another village?
(a) To move far away and not look back.
(b) To make an alliance with a neutral village who will then help.
(c) To send many young women to the village and establish family ties.
(d) To let wild animals loose near the village they want to harm.
6. Who actually completes the murder of Yae?
(a) The women and children of the Haenam village.
(b) He dies of starvation.
(c) His mother-in-law.
(d) The dogs of the village.
7. How is wild boar meat carried out of the jungle?
(a) In a woven sago frond pack.
(b) On a large platter of ironwood, carried on the hunter's head.
(c) In a bamboo box strapped on the hunter's shoulders and head.
(d) In a wheelbarrow.
8. What does Richardson like about the possibility of building on the kidari?
(a) It is in the middle of a large village.
(b) It is surrounded by huge stone walls.
(c) It is a good place for the mission plane to land.
(d) It is close to connections for electricity and gas.
9. What do the Tuans reportedly have to prevent fever and heal sores?
(a) Fire breathing guns.
(b) Witchcraft called "obat."
(c) Antibiotics and oxygen tanks.
(d) Animal totems.
10. How many piers are driven into the jungle floor to build Richardson's house?
(a) Two piers are placed.
(b) There are no piers; it is a small platform that the trailer sat on.
(c) Forty-five piers are placed.
(d) Sixteen piers are placed.
11. Where is Yae's wife, Kautap, cooking as Yae waits to go to Haenam?
(a) At the stove in her government-supplied trailer.
(b) In the summer kitchen which is a separate building out back.
(c) In a small boat floating on the river.
(d) At the central place inside the treehouse.
12. Who is waiting at the new homesite when the Richardsons arrive?
(a) Hato and Yae.
(b) No one is waiting. The whole area is deserted.
(c) Two hundred armed warriors and many women and children,
(d) John McCain and his wife.
13. What brings the Sawi villagers to a sudden halt when they hear it for the first time?
(a) The song of a lark at break of day.
(b) The diesel engines of the Dutch military boats.
(c) The explosion of a nuclear bomb.
(d) The large migration of birds which flew overhead.
14. How does Richardson deal with the Kayagar chief, Yae, when the chief begins to speak loudly?
(a) Richardson gets the Sawi chief to fight Yae.
(b) Richardson gets on his knees and prays loudly for peace.
(c) Richardson puts his hand on Yae's shoulder and speaks English in a soothing tone.
(d) Richardson hits Yae very hard with a pile driver.
15. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
(a) They are crossing a major threshold necessary to known the ultimate essence of their existence.
(b) It means that they no longer belong to the tribe.
(c) It means they are now an adult.
(d) It means that they will someday go to heaven and be an angel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What principle does Don Richardson believe God gives him to offer the tribal people?
2. How do Don and Carol Richardson travel to New Guinea in 1962?
3. Yae's young brother Sao is ill. What is his sickness?
4. Why is Hadi so important to Don Richardson?
5. Why do the Richardsons go to live in New Guinea?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)