|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the high pitched command signal should happen?
(a) It signals that everyone should go home.
(b) It signals that the children should ask for food and water.
(c) It signals that the drums should begin.
(d) It signals that the Richardsons should be attacked and brought down.
2. What flag flies on the deck of the "super canoe"?
(a) The Irian Jaya flag.
(b) The stars and stripes of the United States.
(c) The flag of pirates.
(d) The Dutch flag.
3. What do Sawi men smoke in their pipes?
(a) Dried mushrooms.
(b) Ground bones of wild boars.
(c) Sago leaves.
(d) Tobacco leaves.
4. Who is waiting at the new homesite when the Richardsons arrive?
(a) John McCain and his wife.
(b) Two hundred armed warriors and many women and children,
(c) Hato and Yae.
(d) No one is waiting. The whole area is deserted.
5. What does the expression "to fatten with friendship for the slaughter" mean?
(a) Preparing young men for battle with many feasts.
(b) Forming friendships with the purpose of betrayal, murder and cannibalism.
(c) Raising beef cattle in jungle areas using grain and vegetables.
(d) Raising poultry in a kind and humane way.
6. What event shatters the air of tension between the tribes on the first day of building?
(a) Richardson begins to rail and rage at both tribes.
(b) A storm suddenly appears and lightning strikes the building.
(c) The Missionary Aviation Fellowship plane arrives.
(d) A boat from John McCain arrives
7. What does "Kanggime" mean in the language Dani?
(a) Waiting until the sun comes up.
(b) Land without time.
(c) Mission State.
(d) The place of death.
8. What is unique about the kidari along the Kronkel river?
(a) The kidari has dangerous currents which should be avoided.
(b) The kidari is a waterfall which falls some 500 feet.
(c) The kidari is the longest straight stretch of the river.
(d) The kidari has many types of exotic fish which visit it.
9. What kind of flour do the Sawi women use to make bread?
(a) Bamboo fiber flour.
(b) Sago flour.
(c) Rice flour.
(d) Whole wheat flour.
10. What time of day does the Richardson family arrive at their new home?
11. How many tribes are in the area of New Guinea?
(a) Five distinct tribes and ten which could not be classified.
(b) Fifteen distinct tribes.
(c) Only one.
(d) An estimated four hundred.
12. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
(a) Because her husband has died.
(b) Because it customary for a bride to have a shaved head.
(c) Because of lice.
(d) Because it would show how wise she was.
13. What does the tribe think of treachery and violence?
(a) They honor it as a legendary activity.
(b) They have never heard of treachery and violence.
(c) They don't understand it at all.
(d) They are horrified by the concepts and live only peaceful quiet lives.
14. Do the Sawi warriors bring weapons with them to Pirimapun?
(a) Yes, they line their canoes with 40 palmwood bows and hundreds of arrows.
(b) No, they are not worried about attack because they have supplies to trade.
(c) Yes, they take plenty of guns and ammunition to guard their goods.
(d) No, it is forbidden to take any weapon on the river; the spirit gods will be angry.
15. What does the Richardson family sleep underneath?
(a) A mosquito net.
(b) A wooden box.
(c) A crucifix.
(d) The open sky full of stars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What vessel does the Richardson family use to arrive at their new home?
2. What do the Tuans reportedly have to prevent fever and heal sores?
3. What is the Eren ceremony?
4. What do the Sawi people do when the long poles holding up their homes begin to rot?
5. Where is Yae sitting at the beginning of chapter one?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)