|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does seven-month-old Stephen think of his first journey down the Kronkel river?
(a) Stephen sleeps the entire way.
(b) Stephen is full of wonder and awe.
(c) Stephen is bored and plays with his toys, rarely looking up.
(d) Stephen is very frightened and cannot stop crying.
2. What does Don Richardson interpret the tumult of Sawi activity as?
(a) A baptism into a new and strange world.
(b) A dangerous cannibalistic ritual.
(c) The beginning of a violent war between Sawi and Tuan.
(d) A chance to learn the Sawi language.
3. What does "Tuwi asonai makaerin" mean?
(a) To fatten with friendship.
(b) To bow with deep respect to ones mother in law.
(c) To give a child in exchange for goods and services.
(d) To leave a little on one's plate.
4. What effect does the tide have upon the black, algae-stained Kronkel river?
(a) The tide reverses the river's current and pushes it back into the swamp.
(b) The tide kills fish and wildlife as water rushes in and floods the area.
(c) The tide sends great cresting waves up the river which create chaos.
(d) The tide sends ocean salmon back to the place they spawned.
5. What is "saravon"?
(a) The relationship between a Sawi man and his mother-in-law.
(b) A customary display of force meant to reassure guests that they are safe.
(c) A milky drink offered to the river gods every morning.
(d) A nutritious stew made of pork, sago and onions.
6. How does Don Richardson find a way into the hearts and minds of the tribe?
(a) By cooking great meals and making good friends with the elders.
(b) By connecting with their own cultural redemptive analogies.
(c) By paying them large sums of cash.
(d) By having a great sense of humor.
7. How is wild boar meat carried out of the jungle?
(a) On a large platter of ironwood, carried on the hunter's head.
(b) In a bamboo box strapped on the hunter's shoulders and head.
(c) In a wheelbarrow.
(d) In a woven sago frond pack.
8. How many piers are driven into the jungle floor to build Richardson's house?
(a) Sixteen piers are placed.
(b) Two piers are placed.
(c) There are no piers; it is a small platform that the trailer sat on.
(d) Forty-five piers are placed.
9. Who is the patriarch of the Tumdu?
10. How many wives does the patriarch of Tumdu have?
(b) Twenty; he is a great chief.
(d) None, he is a priest.
11. What is Don Richardson feeling as he steps onto the bank of the Kronkel and meets those who are waiting for them?
(a) He is feeling triumphant at having made the voyage.
(b) He is angry at his wife for being so scared.
(c) He is psyching himself up for the sermon he is going to give.
(d) He is frightened that he may have misread the situation.
12. What does the white skin of the Tuans remind the Sawi people of?
(a) Moonlight on the river.
(b) A face made of teeth.
(c) New sago flour.
(d) The mouth of a crocodile.
13. What event shatters the air of tension between the tribes on the first day of building?
(a) A storm suddenly appears and lightning strikes the building.
(b) The Missionary Aviation Fellowship plane arrives.
(c) Richardson begins to rail and rage at both tribes.
(d) A boat from John McCain arrives
14. What is a good strategy for a Sawi village that wants to take revenge against another village?
(a) To move far away and not look back.
(b) To let wild animals loose near the village they want to harm.
(c) To make an alliance with a neutral village who will then help.
(d) To send many young women to the village and establish family ties.
15. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
(a) It means that they will someday go to heaven and be an angel.
(b) They are crossing a major threshold necessary to known the ultimate essence of their existence.
(c) It means they are now an adult.
(d) It means that they no longer belong to the tribe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Eren ceremony?
2. How does Richardson deal with the Kayagar chief, Yae, when the chief begins to speak loudly?
3. How many treehouses are there, in total, in the Mauro village?
4. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
5. What flag flies on the deck of the "super canoe"?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)