|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Kanggime" mean in the language Dani?
(a) Land without time.
(b) The place of death.
(c) Waiting until the sun comes up.
(d) Mission State.
2. Who is Patches?
(a) The fierce watchdog that lives with the missionary family of John McCain.
(b) The translator who makes "patchwork" of the early communications with the Sawi tribe.
(c) The nickname for Richardson's young son.
(d) The cook who makes fried sago worms for Richardson's family.
3. What does Richardson like about the possibility of building on the kidari?
(a) It is close to connections for electricity and gas.
(b) It is surrounded by huge stone walls.
(c) It is in the middle of a large village.
(d) It is a good place for the mission plane to land.
4. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in our present world?
(a) The end of all we know.
(b) Cross-cultural communication.
(c) Annihilation and destruction.
(d) Despair and continual war.
5. What brings the Sawi villagers to a sudden halt when they hear it for the first time?
(a) The diesel engines of the Dutch military boats.
(b) The large migration of birds which flew overhead.
(c) The song of a lark at break of day.
(d) The explosion of a nuclear bomb.
6. What is Carol Richardson feeling as she steps onto the bank of her new home?
(a) Carol is planning her escape.
(b) Carol is excited and awed.
(c) Carol is hysterical with weeping.
(d) Carol is very angry with her husband.
7. What does Don Richardson do that frightens the Sawi people away from his house?
(a) He throws a handful of firecrackers out of the front door.
(b) He lights a kerosene lamp in the darkness.
(c) He shoots a shot gun in their direction.
(d) He eats brains.
8. A typical stone axe would be swung 40 times to fell a tree. How many times does Hurip have to swing his steel axe to cut down the tree?
(a) Four times
(b) 80 times.
(c) 39 times.
9. What might a visitor in a Sawi village be offered as a snack?
(a) Chicken pot pie with carrots and potatoes.
(b) Pudding made from a bear liver.
(c) Freshly toasted sago grubs.
(d) Lobster, recently cooked and dipped in butter.
10. What are the two new tools Richardson gives the men of Tumdu?
(a) A radio and camera.
(b) A steel knife and steel machete.
(c) A steel fish gutting machine.
(d) A steel hammer and saw.
11. What does Richardson build his home with?
(a) Parts of an old boat which was moored on the river nearby.
(b) He brings in a small airstream trailer and sets it on a platform.
(c) Oak, cherry, and walnut.
(d) Ironwood, split palm bark, mangrove poles and sago fronds.
12. What do the Tumdu women use as flour in their cooking?
(a) Ironwood tree flour.
(b) Bamboo plant flour.
(c) Sago palm flour.
(d) Whole wheat flour.
13. What do Sawi use to build the floors of their homes?
(a) Clay from the riverbank.
(b) Split palm tree bark.
14. How does Richardson deal with the Kayagar chief, Yae, when the chief begins to speak loudly?
(a) Richardson gets the Sawi chief to fight Yae.
(b) Richardson puts his hand on Yae's shoulder and speaks English in a soothing tone.
(c) Richardson gets on his knees and prays loudly for peace.
(d) Richardson hits Yae very hard with a pile driver.
15. Why do the elders Kigo, Hatu and Numu volunteer to make contact with the Tuans?
(a) The elders are near death anyway and think they have little to lose
(b) These elders have learned some of the Auyu language and think maybe that is what the Tuans speak.
(c) The elders are forced by their tribesmen to do this.
(d) The elders are confused and don't know what they are doing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Sawi warriors do when they meet Don Richardson and John McCain for the first time?
2. What do Sawi men smoke in their pipes?
3. Who is building Richardson's house?
4. How does Yae get from the tree house to the ground?
5. What is a good strategy for a Sawi village that wants to take revenge against another village?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)