|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who actually completes the murder of Yae?
(a) His mother-in-law.
(b) He dies of starvation.
(c) The dogs of the village.
(d) The women and children of the Haenam village.
2. What is Carol Richardson feeling as she steps onto the bank of her new home?
(a) Carol is hysterical with weeping.
(b) Carol is excited and awed.
(c) Carol is very angry with her husband.
(d) Carol is planning her escape.
3. Who is the patriarch of the Tumdu?
4. How many pounds does the average wild boar weigh?
(a) 10 pounds.
(b) 180 pounds.
(c) 50 pounds.
(d) 1,000 pounds.
5. A typical stone axe would be swung 40 times to fell a tree. How many times does Hurip have to swing his steel axe to cut down the tree?
(b) 39 times.
(c) 80 times.
(d) Four times
6. What does Narai do when he sees the arrival of the Richardsons?
(a) He sends up a flare to the other tribespeople.
(b) He sends a warning shot on the new gun that Richardson gave him.
(c) He shoots a flaming arrow back towards the village.
(d) He blows a warning signal on his bamboo horn to the other tribespeople.
7. How is wild boar meat carried out of the jungle?
(a) In a bamboo box strapped on the hunter's shoulders and head.
(b) In a woven sago frond pack.
(c) In a wheelbarrow.
(d) On a large platter of ironwood, carried on the hunter's head.
8. What kind of flour do the Sawi women use to make bread?
(a) Sago flour.
(b) Rice flour.
(c) Whole wheat flour.
(d) Bamboo fiber flour.
9. What flag flies on the deck of the "super canoe"?
(a) The Dutch flag.
(b) The stars and stripes of the United States.
(c) The Irian Jaya flag.
(d) The flag of pirates.
10. How does Richardson deal with the Kayagar chief, Yae, when the chief begins to speak loudly?
(a) Richardson puts his hand on Yae's shoulder and speaks English in a soothing tone.
(b) Richardson gets the Sawi chief to fight Yae.
(c) Richardson hits Yae very hard with a pile driver.
(d) Richardson gets on his knees and prays loudly for peace.
11. What is the name of the tribe that Don Richardson and his wife Carol live with?
(a) The Soweto tribe.
(b) The Sawi tribe.
(c) The South End tribe.
(d) The Sowanda tribe.
12. How do Don and Carol Richardson travel to New Guinea in 1962?
(a) They fly to Russia and then to Zurich and then to Australia and finally take a sailboat up to New Guinea.
(b) They sail from Vancouver on the ship "Oriana" and then fly into the interior.
(c) They fly from New York City on the Concorde and then drive into the Sawi territory.
(d) They drive from Canada to Mexico, take a small yacht across the Pacific Ocean and land in New Guinea.
13. Yae's young brother Sao is ill. What is his sickness?
(a) Sao has an immune system infection similar to AIDS.
(b) Sao is mentally ill.
(c) Sao has malaria.
(d) Sao has developed early dementia.
14. What does "Tuwi asonai makaerin" mean?
(a) To fatten with friendship.
(b) To bow with deep respect to ones mother in law.
(c) To leave a little on one's plate.
(d) To give a child in exchange for goods and services.
15. When Don Richardson first goes to work with the Sawi people, what foreign nation had claimed that area as its own?
(a) The Netherlands.
(b) The Germans.
(c) The Americans.
(d) The Australians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a good strategy for a Sawi village that wants to take revenge against another village?
2. Where is Yae sitting at the beginning of chapter one?
3. What does Hurip trade to obtain his "kapak," his steel ax?
4. Who is waiting at the new homesite when the Richardsons arrive?
5. What is the only safe way for a Sawi person to drink water from the river?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)