|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Patches?
(a) The nickname for Richardson's young son.
(b) The cook who makes fried sago worms for Richardson's family.
(c) The fierce watchdog that lives with the missionary family of John McCain.
(d) The translator who makes "patchwork" of the early communications with the Sawi tribe.
2. What does Narai do when he sees the arrival of the Richardsons?
(a) He sends a warning shot on the new gun that Richardson gave him.
(b) He shoots a flaming arrow back towards the village.
(c) He sends up a flare to the other tribespeople.
(d) He blows a warning signal on his bamboo horn to the other tribespeople.
3. What does Richardson like about the possibility of building on the kidari?
(a) It is a good place for the mission plane to land.
(b) It is surrounded by huge stone walls.
(c) It is close to connections for electricity and gas.
(d) It is in the middle of a large village.
4. What does Hurip trade to obtain his "kapak," his steel ax?
(a) Many months of work.
(b) Gold and silver.
(c) Pork, fish and stone-tipped arrows.
(d) One of his children.
5. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
(a) Because her husband has died.
(b) Because it customary for a bride to have a shaved head.
(c) Because of lice.
(d) Because it would show how wise she was.
6. Where is Netherlands New Guinea, or Irian Jaya as it is later called, located in relation to Australia?
(a) Southwest of Australia.
(b) It is in Australia, right in the central district.
(c) Directly north of Australia.
(d) It is not near Australia but located near India.
7. What event shatters the air of tension between the tribes on the first day of building?
(a) Richardson begins to rail and rage at both tribes.
(b) The Missionary Aviation Fellowship plane arrives.
(c) A storm suddenly appears and lightning strikes the building.
(d) A boat from John McCain arrives
8. What does the high pitched command signal should happen?
(a) It signals that the children should ask for food and water.
(b) It signals that the drums should begin.
(c) It signals that everyone should go home.
(d) It signals that the Richardsons should be attacked and brought down.
9. What time of day does the Richardson family arrive at their new home?
10. What does the white skin of the Tuans remind the Sawi people of?
(a) Moonlight on the river.
(b) The mouth of a crocodile.
(c) New sago flour.
(d) A face made of teeth.
11. How is wild boar meat carried out of the jungle?
(a) In a bamboo box strapped on the hunter's shoulders and head.
(b) On a large platter of ironwood, carried on the hunter's head.
(c) In a woven sago frond pack.
(d) In a wheelbarrow.
12. What does "Tuwi asonai makaerin" mean?
(a) To bow with deep respect to ones mother in law.
(b) To fatten with friendship.
(c) To give a child in exchange for goods and services.
(d) To leave a little on one's plate.
13. How many treehouses are there, in total, in the Mauro village?
(c) Seven hundred and fifty.
14. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
(a) Kauwan is Yae's brother and has no power.
(b) Kauwan is deaf and cannot hear Yae's cry of fear.
(c) Kauwan has been taken away to the jungle by his family.
(d) Kauwan has been promised a wife by one of the village men.
15. Do the Sawi warriors bring weapons with them to Pirimapun?
(a) Yes, they take plenty of guns and ammunition to guard their goods.
(b) Yes, they line their canoes with 40 palmwood bows and hundreds of arrows.
(c) No, it is forbidden to take any weapon on the river; the spirit gods will be angry.
(d) No, they are not worried about attack because they have supplies to trade.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many piers are driven into the jungle floor to build Richardson's house?
2. What is unique about the kidari along the Kronkel river?
3. How do Don and Carol Richardson travel to New Guinea in 1962?
4. What is the Prairie Bible Institute?
5. What do Sawi use to build the floors of their homes?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)