|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
(a) His own wife.
(b) A peace child.
(c) A gun and sword.
(d) A thousand dollars.
2. How is wild boar meat carried out of the jungle?
(a) On a large platter of ironwood, carried on the hunter's head.
(b) In a wheelbarrow.
(c) In a woven sago frond pack.
(d) In a bamboo box strapped on the hunter's shoulders and head.
3. What does the Sawi expression "hahap kaman" mean?
(a) The group is full of ecstatic joy.
(b) Dinner is ready.
(c) All is lost and there is no hope left.
(d) The warriors are about to attack.
4. Why must the women, young men and children leave when Yae's skull is cracked open?
(a) Because they all had to go and swim in the river until nightfall.
(b) Because it is forbidden for them to hear the sound of a skull breaking open.
(c) Because only the older men are cannibals in the Sawi tribe.
(d) Because they are not allowed to eat brains.
5. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
(a) They are crossing a major threshold necessary to known the ultimate essence of their existence.
(b) It means that they will someday go to heaven and be an angel.
(c) It means that they no longer belong to the tribe.
(d) It means they are now an adult.
6. What is "saravon"?
(a) A nutritious stew made of pork, sago and onions.
(b) A milky drink offered to the river gods every morning.
(c) The relationship between a Sawi man and his mother-in-law.
(d) A customary display of force meant to reassure guests that they are safe.
7. How does Don Richardson find a way into the hearts and minds of the tribe?
(a) By connecting with their own cultural redemptive analogies.
(b) By having a great sense of humor.
(c) By paying them large sums of cash.
(d) By cooking great meals and making good friends with the elders.
8. What kind of flour do the Sawi women use to make bread?
(a) Bamboo fiber flour.
(b) Rice flour.
(c) Whole wheat flour.
(d) Sago flour.
9. When Don Richardson first goes to work with the Sawi people, what foreign nation had claimed that area as its own?
(a) The Germans.
(b) The Australians.
(c) The Americans.
(d) The Netherlands.
10. What is Don Richardson feeling as he steps onto the bank of the Kronkel and meets those who are waiting for them?
(a) He is feeling triumphant at having made the voyage.
(b) He is frightened that he may have misread the situation.
(c) He is psyching himself up for the sermon he is going to give.
(d) He is angry at his wife for being so scared.
11. Where is Yae's wife, Kautap, cooking as Yae waits to go to Haenam?
(a) At the stove in her government-supplied trailer.
(b) At the central place inside the treehouse.
(c) In the summer kitchen which is a separate building out back.
(d) In a small boat floating on the river.
12. What does seven-month-old Stephen think of his first journey down the Kronkel river?
(a) Stephen is full of wonder and awe.
(b) Stephen sleeps the entire way.
(c) Stephen is very frightened and cannot stop crying.
(d) Stephen is bored and plays with his toys, rarely looking up.
13. Why do the Richardsons go to live in New Guinea?
(a) They are writing a book on ancient cultures and want to do research.
(b) They think the climate would be good for their health.
(c) They feel called to serve God as missionaries.
(d) They have no choice; they are sent by their families.
14. How many wives does Yae's cousin Wasi have?
(a) Twenty five.
15. What do the Tumdu women use as flour in their cooking?
(a) Bamboo plant flour.
(b) Ironwood tree flour.
(c) Sago palm flour.
(d) Whole wheat flour.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is building Richardson's house?
2. What is the name of the sea which the Kronkel river empties into?
3. What do the Sawi warriors do when they meet Don Richardson and John McCain for the first time?
4. What principle does Don Richardson believe God gives him to offer the tribal people?
5. What time of day does the Richardson family arrive at their new home?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)