|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25, Out of the Ancestral Cacoon.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first level of despair?
(a) Hiking three miles to a nearby death camp.
(b) Sleeping with the body of the person who has died.
(c) Waiting for nine days and nights as the body decomposes in the grave house.
(d) Tearing one's clothing and covering oneself in ashes.
2. What is the primary redemptive analogy which Richardson uses to reach the tribal people?
(a) The tribal ritual of marriage.
(b) The tribal ritual of a "peace child."
(c) The tribal ritual of Jesus and the disciples.
(d) The tribal ritual of "fattening for slaughter."
3. Why does Yae's wife, Kautap, throw his stone ax in the river when she hears that her husband has been murdered?
(a) She doesn't want anyone else to use it.
(b) She is angry at him for going to Haenam.
(c) She is mad with grief.
(d) She believes Yae's spirit will need the ax in the world of the dead.
4. What do the Sawi assume when they hear that the Tuans are almost all men?
(a) Tuans are supernatural and do not need to procreate.
(b) Tuans kill and eat their women.
(c) Tuans live forever and therefore do not need offspring.
(d) The men must fight to obtain wives since there are so few women.
5. When the Richardsons, Winifred and Mavo fall off the capsized dugout and into the Kronkel river, what happens first?
(a) Crocodiles immediately surround them.
(b) Winifred and Mavo go back to the dugout and Mavo climbs on top of it.
(c) Richardson rescues Stephen.
(d) Carol swims to the bank with her infant child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Netherlands New Guinea, or Irian Jaya as it is later called, located in relation to Australia?
2. How does Yae get from the tree house to the ground?
3. What does Hato say about God?
4. What does Don Richardson say to the battling warriors?
5. Why are the Kayagar men upset with Richardson when he announces his intention to build a home in Sawi territory?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)