|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25, Out of the Ancestral Cacoon.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "aumamay"?
(a) The Sawi believe it is a state of spiritual confusion.
(b) The Sawi believe it is "apparent life" when the body still lives but the soul is gone.
(c) The Sawi believe it is the only way to go to heaven.
(d) The Sawi believe it is the power of the River God Tatau visited upon the living.
2. Who is willing to give up his only son?
3. What are the relatives of Warahai doing to his body now that they believe his soul has left?
(a) Carrying him around the village on their shoulders.
(b) Putting heavy stones on him in order to sink his body to the bottom of the river.
(c) Burning him with coals, shouting his name and pinching him.
(d) Laying sago bread across his chest.
4. Do the Sawi warriors bring weapons with them to Pirimapun?
(a) No, it is forbidden to take any weapon on the river; the spirit gods will be angry.
(b) Yes, they line their canoes with 40 palmwood bows and hundreds of arrows.
(c) Yes, they take plenty of guns and ammunition to guard their goods.
(d) No, they are not worried about attack because they have supplies to trade.
5. Who comes in a dugout to help the stranded party?
(a) Another Tuan missionary.
(b) The outcast of the Kamur tribe, Natato.
(c) The Dutch government authorities.
(d) Mavo's own father, Taeri, and his daughter Aray.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
2. Why is it so important to Richardson that the patriarchs, the older men, convert to Christianity?
3. Who is Biakadon?
4. What is the only safe way for a Sawi person to drink water from the river?
5. Yae's young brother Sao is ill. What is his sickness?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)