|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25, Out of the Ancestral Cacoon.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the Kayagar men upset with Richardson when he announces his intention to build a home in Sawi territory?
(a) The Kayagar village of Amyam is better at building houses than the Sawi.
(b) The village of Amyam is desperate to have a Tuan live with them.
(c) The Kayagar men are afraid of the Sawi and think that Richardson will be killed.
(d) The Kayagar people don't want to paddle all the way down the river.
2. What are the relatives of Warahai doing to his body now that they believe his soul has left?
(a) Putting heavy stones on him in order to sink his body to the bottom of the river.
(b) Burning him with coals, shouting his name and pinching him.
(c) Laying sago bread across his chest.
(d) Carrying him around the village on their shoulders.
3. How does Don Richardson find a way into the hearts and minds of the tribe?
(a) By paying them large sums of cash.
(b) By cooking great meals and making good friends with the elders.
(c) By having a great sense of humor.
(d) By connecting with their own cultural redemptive analogies.
4. Which of these terms can be used to describe the tribe?
(a) Cannibalistic head hunters.
(b) Saintly contemplative monks.
(c) Modern aggressive innovators.
(d) Creative imaginative artists.
5. What is "saravon"?
(a) A milky drink offered to the river gods every morning.
(b) A nutritious stew made of pork, sago and onions.
(c) The relationship between a Sawi man and his mother-in-law.
(d) A customary display of force meant to reassure guests that they are safe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the expression "to fatten with friendship for the slaughter" mean?
2. What is Don Richardson feeling as he steps onto the bank of the Kronkel and meets those who are waiting for them?
3. What is the ancient Sawi custom of "waness"?
4. What does "Kanggime" mean in the language Dani?
5. What is the first level of despair?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)