|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25, Out of the Ancestral Cacoon.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fruits and flowers do the missionaries introduce to the Sawi?
(a) Watermelon, oranges and grapefruit.
(b) Apple trees, green beans, potatoes and tomatoes.
(c) Peaches, sago and apricots.
(d) Pineapple, coconut palms, lemon trees and hibiscus.
2. Which of these terms can be used to describe the tribe?
(a) Modern aggressive innovators.
(b) Creative imaginative artists.
(c) Saintly contemplative monks.
(d) Cannibalistic head hunters.
3. How many pigs are being cooked on this first Christmas?
(b) Five hundred.
4. Why does Yae's wife, Kautap, throw his stone ax in the river when she hears that her husband has been murdered?
(a) She is angry at him for going to Haenam.
(b) She doesn't want anyone else to use it.
(c) She is mad with grief.
(d) She believes Yae's spirit will need the ax in the world of the dead.
5. Why is it so difficult for the Sawi people to convert to Richardson's faith?
(a) They have no spiritual life.
(b) They are cowards and afraid to try anything new.
(c) They cannot speak English.
(d) They trust the ancient Sawi culture which is all they have ever known.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
2. What do Sawi men smoke in their pipes?
3. In 1963 who does the Dutch government begin to give control of the Netherlands New Guinea to?
4. Do the Sawi men believe their children are strong?
5. What flag flies on the deck of the "super canoe"?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)