|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25, Out of the Ancestral Cacoon.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sawi what does "cool water" mean?
(b) Shocking truth.
(d) Cold nights.
2. What is the fourth level of despair?
(a) Sinking the dead person's body into the Kronkel river.
(b) Throwing oneself into the grave with the dead body.
(c) Eating food with the hand that had been plunged into the dead person's body.
(d) Throwing oneself, briefly, upon the death bonfire.
3. Who comes in a dugout to help the stranded party?
(a) The outcast of the Kamur tribe, Natato.
(b) Mavo's own father, Taeri, and his daughter Aray.
(c) The Dutch government authorities.
(d) Another Tuan missionary.
4. What does the tribe think of treachery and violence?
(a) They honor it as a legendary activity.
(b) They don't understand it at all.
(c) They are horrified by the concepts and live only peaceful quiet lives.
(d) They have never heard of treachery and violence.
5. Which two village groups need to make peace?
(a) Haenam and Kamur.
(b) Olada and Naydu.
(c) Kayagar and Atum.
(d) Pirapum and Plactoman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carol Richardson feeling as she steps onto the bank of her new home?
2. What does seven-month-old Stephen think of his first journey down the Kronkel river?
3. What does Don Richardson do that frightens the Sawi people away from his house?
4. Where is Netherlands New Guinea, or Irian Jaya as it is later called, located in relation to Australia?
5. What two villages are fighting on the Tuan's doorstep?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)