|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21, The Living Dead.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
(a) Kauwan has been promised a wife by one of the village men.
(b) Kauwan is Yae's brother and has no power.
(c) Kauwan is deaf and cannot hear Yae's cry of fear.
(d) Kauwan has been taken away to the jungle by his family.
2. What kind of flour do the Sawi women use to make bread?
(a) Bamboo fiber flour.
(b) Rice flour.
(c) Sago flour.
(d) Whole wheat flour.
3. Who comes in a dugout to help the stranded party?
(a) The outcast of the Kamur tribe, Natato.
(b) Another Tuan missionary.
(c) Mavo's own father, Taeri, and his daughter Aray.
(d) The Dutch government authorities.
4. What is "saravon"?
(a) A nutritious stew made of pork, sago and onions.
(b) A milky drink offered to the river gods every morning.
(c) A customary display of force meant to reassure guests that they are safe.
(d) The relationship between a Sawi man and his mother-in-law.
5. What do Sawi people do if twins are born?
(a) The second twin is ordained to be a tribal medicine man.
(b) They kill the second twin, believing it to be an evil spirit.
(c) They name them the same name, as they came at the same time.
(d) They celebrate for many days, for they think it is very special.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hurip trade to obtain his "kapak," his steel ax?
2. What is Don Richardson's first order of business with the Sawi tribe?
3. What part of the human skeleton do Sawi children play with?
4. What does "my liver trembles" refer to?
5. What vessel does the Richardson family use to arrive at their new home?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)