|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, Cool Water Tomorrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the women do during battle?
(a) The women curse and bang their pounding sticks on the ground.
(b) The women taunt their own men to be more brave.
(c) The women throw stones and sharp rocks at the enemy.
(d) The women shield the children.
2. Where is Yae sitting at the beginning of chapter one?
(a) Yae is sitting in the hospital where his wife is dying in childbirth.
(b) Yae is sitting in his treehouse, forty feet above the Kronkel river.
(c) Yae is sitting by the man-made pool in his backyard.
(d) Yae is sitting in a plane which is on its way to Istanbul.
3. What does Richardson build his home with?
(a) Ironwood, split palm bark, mangrove poles and sago fronds.
(b) Oak, cherry, and walnut.
(c) Parts of an old boat which was moored on the river nearby.
(d) He brings in a small airstream trailer and sets it on a platform.
4. What is the Ironwood Curtain?
(a) It refers to that curtain which hangs between life and death.
(b) It refers to the border of iron which the Sawi people have erected around their territory.
(c) It means passing from the life of easy and plenty, where there is much light, to the darker world of the jungle.
(d) It means passing into the jungle that is full of trees which are called ironwood because of their dense hard wood.
5. Are the Sawi women involved in head hunting?
(a) Yes, they often lead the charge to the offending village.
(b) Not directly, but they encourage murder and would participate in clubbing to death wounded victims.
(c) The Sawi women are involved only if they are married.
(d) Yes, they are very good with spears and often had better aim than their husbands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
2. What is Don Richardson's first order of business with the Sawi tribe?
3. Who is the patriarch of the Tumdu?
4. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
5. What do the Sawi people believe airplanes are?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)