|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, Cool Water Tomorrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Yae waiting for before he goes to the village of Haenam?
(a) For the rains to come and water his crops.
(b) For the tide to turn so that he can journey more easily.
(c) For God to send him inspiration so that he can name his child.
(d) For the village to nominate him chief.
2. What does Richardson conclude has been the reason Sawi people have survived so long?
(a) Their habit of fishing and hunting.
(b) Their habit of bathing in the river.
(c) Their habit of aggressive fighting.
(d) Their habit of living in small, isolated groups.
3. What brings the Sawi villagers to a sudden halt when they hear it for the first time?
(a) The explosion of a nuclear bomb.
(b) The diesel engines of the Dutch military boats.
(c) The song of a lark at break of day.
(d) The large migration of birds which flew overhead.
4. What do the Sawi people raise their children to be?
(a) Quiet and reticent.
(b) Musical and artistic.
(c) Strong willed.
(d) Invisible in the jungle.
5. What does Don Richardson say to the battling warriors?
(a) "No more steel tools unless you stop!"
(b) "There is another way!"
(c) "Get out of my front yard!"
(d) "Es! That's enough!"
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most powerful family relationship in Sawi culture?
2. In Sawi what does "cool water" mean?
3. What do the Tuans give the elders who come out to meet them for the first time?
4. A typical stone axe would be swung 40 times to fell a tree. How many times does Hurip have to swing his steel axe to cut down the tree?
5. What does Hurip trade to obtain his "kapak," his steel ax?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)