|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, Cool Water Tomorrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Sawi men smoke in their pipes?
(a) Sago leaves.
(b) Dried mushrooms.
(c) Ground bones of wild boars.
(d) Tobacco leaves.
2. What is the ancient Sawi custom of "waness"?
(a) The custom of soaking food in water before eating it.
(b) A bind created by one person eating food which has touched another person's genitals.
(c) One person mixing blood with another person.
(d) A custom of men having more than one wife.
3. What is Don Richardson's first order of business with the Sawi tribe?
(a) To establish trading alliances with neighboring tribes.
(b) To convert the children to Christianity.
(c) To learn the Sawi language.
(d) To cure the sick and heal the lame.
4. Do the Sawi warriors bring weapons with them to Pirimapun?
(a) Yes, they take plenty of guns and ammunition to guard their goods.
(b) Yes, they line their canoes with 40 palmwood bows and hundreds of arrows.
(c) No, they are not worried about attack because they have supplies to trade.
(d) No, it is forbidden to take any weapon on the river; the spirit gods will be angry.
5. What does Richardson believe keeps true peace from existing among Sawi people?
(a) The possibility of tusi asonai man.
(b) The inability of the Sawi people to understand what peace is.
(c) The fact that they are illiterate.
(d) The belief of the Sawi people in demons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Yae going on a journey to the nearby village of Haenam?
2. In the Sawi language, how many tenses does each verb have?
3. What time of day does the Richardson family arrive at their new home?
4. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
5. What does "Myao Kondon" mean?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)