|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, Cool Water Tomorrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Sawi men smoke in their pipes?
(a) Tobacco leaves.
(b) Sago leaves.
(c) Ground bones of wild boars.
(d) Dried mushrooms.
2. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
(a) Because her husband has died.
(b) Because it would show how wise she was.
(c) Because it customary for a bride to have a shaved head.
(d) Because of lice.
3. What two villages are fighting on the Tuan's doorstep?
(a) The Kamur and Haenam villages are in battle.
(b) The Sawi are fighting the Tuan.
(c) The Harasiomi and the Kaondahari are fighting.
(d) The Kayangar and the Sawi are in battle.
4. What do the Tuans reportedly have to prevent fever and heal sores?
(a) Antibiotics and oxygen tanks.
(b) Witchcraft called "obat."
(c) Fire breathing guns.
(d) Animal totems.
5. What does Don Richardson do that frightens the Sawi people away from his house?
(a) He lights a kerosene lamp in the darkness.
(b) He throws a handful of firecrackers out of the front door.
(c) He eats brains.
(d) He shoots a shot gun in their direction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richardson believe keeps true peace from existing among Sawi people?
2. What do the Sawi assume when they hear that the Tuans are almost all men?
3. How does Don Richardson find a way into the hearts and minds of the tribe?
4. What might a visitor in a Sawi village be offered as a snack?
5. Why do the Richardsons go to live in New Guinea?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)