|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, A Baptism of Strangeness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does seven-month-old Stephen think of his first journey down the Kronkel river?
(a) Stephen is bored and plays with his toys, rarely looking up.
(b) Stephen sleeps the entire way.
(c) Stephen is full of wonder and awe.
(d) Stephen is very frightened and cannot stop crying.
2. What do the Sawi warriors bring on their first trading mission to Pirimapun?
(a) Guns, ammunition, spears and dynamite.
(b) Pottery made from dark red riverbank clay.
(c) Sago flour, beetle grubs, lori parrots and chickens.
(d) Elaborately carved masks and feather-adorned costumes.
3. Why is Hadi so important to Don Richardson?
(a) Hadi is blind and Richardson feels very sorry for him.
(b) He is the first Sawi that Richardson has contact with and he speaks several tribal languages.
(c) Hadi is the only Sawi who can read.
(d) Richardson feels that somehow Hadi is related to him.
4. How many tribes are in the area of New Guinea?
(a) Five distinct tribes and ten which could not be classified.
(b) Fifteen distinct tribes.
(c) Only one.
(d) An estimated four hundred.
5. What do the Sawi warriors do when they meet Don Richardson and John McCain for the first time?
(a) Most of the warriors faint and have to be revived with camphor.
(b) They stand in their canoes completely and totally still.
(c) They launch an attack of arrows.
(d) They panic, many of them leaping out of the canoes; everyone trembling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Tuans give the elders who come out to meet them for the first time?
2. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
3. Yae's young brother Sao is ill. What is his sickness?
4. Why are the Kayagar men upset with Richardson when he announces his intention to build a home in Sawi territory?
5. What is the most powerful family relationship in Sawi culture?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)