|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, A Baptism of Strangeness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
(a) She cries out in jubilation and dances to celebrate her great honor.
(b) She is filled with remorse and grief and refuses to take it.
(c) She takes the bone and grinds it into fine dust and then spreads it atop the river.
(d) She promises that she will send it to Yae's wife as an expression of her sympathy.
2. What does "Kanggime" mean in the language Dani?
(a) Waiting until the sun comes up.
(b) Land without time.
(c) Mission State.
(d) The place of death.
3. Who is building Richardson's house?
(a) Richardson builds the home by himself.
(b) The Sawi women are the builders of Richardson's home.
(c) Kayagar, Atohwaem and Sawi tribes, along with Richardson and McCain build the home.
(d) Richardson brings in missionaries from all over New Guinea to build.
4. What does seven-month-old Stephen think of his first journey down the Kronkel river?
(a) Stephen is bored and plays with his toys, rarely looking up.
(b) Stephen is very frightened and cannot stop crying.
(c) Stephen sleeps the entire way.
(d) Stephen is full of wonder and awe.
5. What does the high pitched command signal should happen?
(a) It signals that the Richardsons should be attacked and brought down.
(b) It signals that everyone should go home.
(c) It signals that the children should ask for food and water.
(d) It signals that the drums should begin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event shatters the air of tension between the tribes on the first day of building?
2. What is the weather like on the day the Richardson family arrives at their new home?
3. How many wives does Yae's cousin Wasi have?
4. Why is Yae going on a journey to the nearby village of Haenam?
5. What does the Sawi expression "hahap kaman" mean?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)