|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, A Baptism of Strangeness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is building Richardson's house?
(a) Kayagar, Atohwaem and Sawi tribes, along with Richardson and McCain build the home.
(b) The Sawi women are the builders of Richardson's home.
(c) Richardson builds the home by himself.
(d) Richardson brings in missionaries from all over New Guinea to build.
2. What is the weather like on the day the Richardson family arrives at their new home?
(a) It is a rainy tropical day during the monsoon.
(b) It is a cold night, almost freezing, when they arrive.
(c) It is a hot, humid day in the jungle.
(d) It is a very windy, chilly day on the high plains.
3. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
(a) Because her husband has died.
(b) Because it customary for a bride to have a shaved head.
(c) Because it would show how wise she was.
(d) Because of lice.
4. Where is Yae's wife, Kautap, cooking as Yae waits to go to Haenam?
(a) At the stove in her government-supplied trailer.
(b) At the central place inside the treehouse.
(c) In the summer kitchen which is a separate building out back.
(d) In a small boat floating on the river.
5. What does the expression "to fatten with friendship for the slaughter" mean?
(a) Raising poultry in a kind and humane way.
(b) Raising beef cattle in jungle areas using grain and vegetables.
(c) Preparing young men for battle with many feasts.
(d) Forming friendships with the purpose of betrayal, murder and cannibalism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carol Richardson feeling as she steps onto the bank of her new home?
2. What vessel does the Richardson family use to arrive at their new home?
3. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
4. What effect does the tide have upon the black, algae-stained Kronkel river?
5. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in our present world?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)