|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, A Baptism of Strangeness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many treehouses are there, in total, in the Mauro village?
(b) Seven hundred and fifty.
2. What does the high pitched command signal should happen?
(a) It signals that the drums should begin.
(b) It signals that everyone should go home.
(c) It signals that the children should ask for food and water.
(d) It signals that the Richardsons should be attacked and brought down.
3. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in our present world?
(a) Cross-cultural communication.
(b) The end of all we know.
(c) Despair and continual war.
(d) Annihilation and destruction.
4. How do Don and Carol Richardson travel to New Guinea in 1962?
(a) They drive from Canada to Mexico, take a small yacht across the Pacific Ocean and land in New Guinea.
(b) They fly to Russia and then to Zurich and then to Australia and finally take a sailboat up to New Guinea.
(c) They fly from New York City on the Concorde and then drive into the Sawi territory.
(d) They sail from Vancouver on the ship "Oriana" and then fly into the interior.
5. What is the primary redemptive analogy which Richardson uses to reach the tribal people?
(a) The tribal ritual of a "peace child."
(b) The tribal ritual of marriage.
(c) The tribal ritual of Jesus and the disciples.
(d) The tribal ritual of "fattening for slaughter."
Short Answer Questions
1. What flag flies on the deck of the "super canoe"?
2. Why are the Kayagar men upset with Richardson when he announces his intention to build a home in Sawi territory?
3. What does the Sawi expression "hahap kaman" mean?
4. What does the white skin of the Tuans remind the Sawi people of?
5. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)