|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, A Baptism of Strangeness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Kanggime" mean in the language Dani?
(a) Waiting until the sun comes up.
(b) Mission State.
(c) Land without time.
(d) The place of death.
2. Why is Yae going on a journey to the nearby village of Haenam?
(a) He is campaigning for political office and needs the support of Haenam villagers.
(b) He is going to visit his mother who lives in Haenam.
(c) He is trying to forge an alliance between his village, Mauro, and Haenam.
(d) He is thinking of moving from Mauro to Haenam.
3. What does the Richardson family sleep underneath?
(a) A crucifix.
(b) A wooden box.
(c) A mosquito net.
(d) The open sky full of stars.
4. A typical stone axe would be swung 40 times to fell a tree. How many times does Hurip have to swing his steel axe to cut down the tree?
(a) 80 times.
(b) 39 times.
(c) Four times
5. What does Don Richardson interpret the tumult of Sawi activity as?
(a) A dangerous cannibalistic ritual.
(b) The beginning of a violent war between Sawi and Tuan.
(c) A chance to learn the Sawi language.
(d) A baptism into a new and strange world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richardson feel when he first shakes hands with a Sawi elder?
2. Why are the Kayagar men upset with Richardson when he announces his intention to build a home in Sawi territory?
3. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
4. Are the Sawi women involved in head hunting?
5. What vessel does the Richardson family use to arrive at their new home?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)