|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, A Baptism of Strangeness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Richardsons go to live in New Guinea?
(a) They think the climate would be good for their health.
(b) They have no choice; they are sent by their families.
(c) They are writing a book on ancient cultures and want to do research.
(d) They feel called to serve God as missionaries.
2. What does Richardson build his home with?
(a) He brings in a small airstream trailer and sets it on a platform.
(b) Oak, cherry, and walnut.
(c) Ironwood, split palm bark, mangrove poles and sago fronds.
(d) Parts of an old boat which was moored on the river nearby.
3. What might a visitor in a Sawi village be offered as a snack?
(a) Pudding made from a bear liver.
(b) Chicken pot pie with carrots and potatoes.
(c) Freshly toasted sago grubs.
(d) Lobster, recently cooked and dipped in butter.
4. What kind of flour do the Sawi women use to make bread?
(a) Bamboo fiber flour.
(b) Sago flour.
(c) Rice flour.
(d) Whole wheat flour.
5. What do the Sawi people believe airplanes are?
(a) River spirits.
(b) German bomber planes.
(c) Supernatural creatures.
(d) Chariots of the gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in our present world?
2. Where is Netherlands New Guinea, or Irian Jaya as it is later called, located in relation to Australia?
3. Who is Ebenezer G. Vine?
4. What do the Tuans reportedly have to prevent fever and heal sores?
5. Yae's young brother Sao is ill. What is his sickness?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)