|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, A Baptism of Strangeness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Are the Sawi women involved in head hunting?
(a) Yes, they often lead the charge to the offending village.
(b) Yes, they are very good with spears and often had better aim than their husbands.
(c) The Sawi women are involved only if they are married.
(d) Not directly, but they encourage murder and would participate in clubbing to death wounded victims.
2. What vessel does the Richardson family use to arrive at their new home?
(a) A long dugout canoe.
(b) A rowboat with diesel motor.
(c) A speedboat.
(d) A plane.
3. What does the Sawi expression "hahap kaman" mean?
(a) The group is full of ecstatic joy.
(b) The warriors are about to attack.
(c) Dinner is ready.
(d) All is lost and there is no hope left.
4. What does "Kanggime" mean in the language Dani?
(a) Waiting until the sun comes up.
(b) Land without time.
(c) The place of death.
(d) Mission State.
5. Who is waiting at the new homesite when the Richardsons arrive?
(a) No one is waiting. The whole area is deserted.
(b) John McCain and his wife.
(c) Two hundred armed warriors and many women and children,
(d) Hato and Yae.
Short Answer Questions
1. Do the Sawi warriors bring weapons with them to Pirimapun?
2. What is the Ironwood Curtain?
3. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
4. What does Don Richardson interpret the tumult of Sawi activity as?
5. What effect does the tide have upon the black, algae-stained Kronkel river?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)