|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, A Baptism of Strangeness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Ironwood Curtain?
(a) It means passing into the jungle that is full of trees which are called ironwood because of their dense hard wood.
(b) It refers to the border of iron which the Sawi people have erected around their territory.
(c) It refers to that curtain which hangs between life and death.
(d) It means passing from the life of easy and plenty, where there is much light, to the darker world of the jungle.
2. What is unique about the kidari along the Kronkel river?
(a) The kidari has dangerous currents which should be avoided.
(b) The kidari is the longest straight stretch of the river.
(c) The kidari has many types of exotic fish which visit it.
(d) The kidari is a waterfall which falls some 500 feet.
3. What flag flies on the deck of the "super canoe"?
(a) The stars and stripes of the United States.
(b) The Irian Jaya flag.
(c) The flag of pirates.
(d) The Dutch flag.
4. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
(a) Kauwan has been promised a wife by one of the village men.
(b) Kauwan is Yae's brother and has no power.
(c) Kauwan has been taken away to the jungle by his family.
(d) Kauwan is deaf and cannot hear Yae's cry of fear.
5. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in our present world?
(a) Cross-cultural communication.
(b) Despair and continual war.
(c) Annihilation and destruction.
(d) The end of all we know.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the ancient Sawi custom of "waness"?
2. What do the Sawi people do when the long poles holding up their homes begin to rot?
3. Yae's young brother Sao is ill. What is his sickness?
4. Why are the Kayagar men upset with Richardson when he announces his intention to build a home in Sawi territory?
5. What does the Richardson family sleep underneath?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)