|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, A Baptism of Strangeness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Netherlands New Guinea, or Irian Jaya as it is later called, located in relation to Australia?
(a) It is in Australia, right in the central district.
(b) Southwest of Australia.
(c) Directly north of Australia.
(d) It is not near Australia but located near India.
2. How does Richardson deal with the Kayagar chief, Yae, when the chief begins to speak loudly?
(a) Richardson hits Yae very hard with a pile driver.
(b) Richardson gets on his knees and prays loudly for peace.
(c) Richardson gets the Sawi chief to fight Yae.
(d) Richardson puts his hand on Yae's shoulder and speaks English in a soothing tone.
3. Why is Yae going on a journey to the nearby village of Haenam?
(a) He is trying to forge an alliance between his village, Mauro, and Haenam.
(b) He is campaigning for political office and needs the support of Haenam villagers.
(c) He is thinking of moving from Mauro to Haenam.
(d) He is going to visit his mother who lives in Haenam.
4. What does Richardson like about the possibility of building on the kidari?
(a) It is a good place for the mission plane to land.
(b) It is in the middle of a large village.
(c) It is surrounded by huge stone walls.
(d) It is close to connections for electricity and gas.
5. What is the most powerful family relationship in Sawi culture?
(a) A man and his wife.
(b) Brother to brother.
(c) A man and his mother-in-law.
(d) A mother and her grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richardson build his home with?
2. What is unique about the kidari along the Kronkel river?
3. What is the ancient Sawi custom of "waness"?
4. Who is Patches?
5. What is the name of the tribe that Don Richardson and his wife Carol live with?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)