|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, A Baptism of Strangeness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Yae's young brother Sao is ill. What is his sickness?
(a) Sao has malaria.
(b) Sao has developed early dementia.
(c) Sao has an immune system infection similar to AIDS.
(d) Sao is mentally ill.
2. What do Sawi use to build the floors of their homes?
(a) Split palm tree bark.
(b) Clay from the riverbank.
3. What does Hurip trade to obtain his "kapak," his steel ax?
(a) Many months of work.
(b) One of his children.
(c) Gold and silver.
(d) Pork, fish and stone-tipped arrows.
4. What do the Sawi warriors do when they meet Don Richardson and John McCain for the first time?
(a) They panic, many of them leaping out of the canoes; everyone trembling.
(b) They stand in their canoes completely and totally still.
(c) Most of the warriors faint and have to be revived with camphor.
(d) They launch an attack of arrows.
5. What does Richardson feel when he first shakes hands with a Sawi elder?
(a) That the Sawi will never understand the way of the modern world.
(b) That the Sawi are very short but quite strong.
(c) That they are equally human...flesh and blood...men.
(d) That these people are not to be trusted...ever...
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Yae's wife, Kautap, cooking as Yae waits to go to Haenam?
2. What do the Sawi assume when they hear that the Tuans are almost all men?
3. What do the Tuans give the elders who come out to meet them for the first time?
4. What do the Sawi people do when the long poles holding up their homes begin to rot?
5. What does Don Richardson interpret the tumult of Sawi activity as?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)