|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, A Baptism of Strangeness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the tribe that Don Richardson and his wife Carol live with?
(a) The South End tribe.
(b) The Sawi tribe.
(c) The Soweto tribe.
(d) The Sowanda tribe.
2. Who is waiting at the new homesite when the Richardsons arrive?
(a) Two hundred armed warriors and many women and children,
(b) Hato and Yae.
(c) No one is waiting. The whole area is deserted.
(d) John McCain and his wife.
3. What does Don Richardson interpret the tumult of Sawi activity as?
(a) A baptism into a new and strange world.
(b) A chance to learn the Sawi language.
(c) The beginning of a violent war between Sawi and Tuan.
(d) A dangerous cannibalistic ritual.
4. What is Yae waiting for before he goes to the village of Haenam?
(a) For the tide to turn so that he can journey more easily.
(b) For the village to nominate him chief.
(c) For the rains to come and water his crops.
(d) For God to send him inspiration so that he can name his child.
5. What do the Tuans give the elders who come out to meet them for the first time?
(a) Necklaces made of brightly colored beads.
(b) Pens, paper and stamps.
(c) Matches, razorblades and fishing equipment.
(d) A bible, radio and a flashlight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Sawi expression "hahap kaman" mean?
2. Why is Hadi so important to Don Richardson?
3. What time of day does the Richardson family arrive at their new home?
4. What does Don Richardson do that frightens the Sawi people away from his house?
5. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)