|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, A Baptism of Strangeness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What flag flies on the deck of the "super canoe"?
(a) The flag of pirates.
(b) The Irian Jaya flag.
(c) The Dutch flag.
(d) The stars and stripes of the United States.
2. What principle does Don Richardson believe God gives him to offer the tribal people?
(a) The principle of redemption.
(b) The principle of capitalism.
(c) The principle of original sin.
(d) The principle of cause and effect.
3. What do the Sawi assume when they hear that the Tuans are almost all men?
(a) The men must fight to obtain wives since there are so few women.
(b) Tuans kill and eat their women.
(c) Tuans live forever and therefore do not need offspring.
(d) Tuans are supernatural and do not need to procreate.
4. What does "Kanggime" mean in the language Dani?
(a) The place of death.
(b) Land without time.
(c) Mission State.
(d) Waiting until the sun comes up.
5. What does the expression "to fatten with friendship for the slaughter" mean?
(a) Raising poultry in a kind and humane way.
(b) Forming friendships with the purpose of betrayal, murder and cannibalism.
(c) Raising beef cattle in jungle areas using grain and vegetables.
(d) Preparing young men for battle with many feasts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ebenezer G. Vine?
2. What is Yae waiting for before he goes to the village of Haenam?
3. How does Yae get from the tree house to the ground?
4. What do the Tuans reportedly have to prevent fever and heal sores?
5. A typical stone axe would be swung 40 times to fell a tree. How many times does Hurip have to swing his steel axe to cut down the tree?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)