|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, A Baptism of Strangeness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many piers are driven into the jungle floor to build Richardson's house?
(a) There are no piers; it is a small platform that the trailer sat on.
(b) Sixteen piers are placed.
(c) Two piers are placed.
(d) Forty-five piers are placed.
2. What year do the Richardsons go to New Guinea?
3. What does the tribe think of treachery and violence?
(a) They have never heard of treachery and violence.
(b) They honor it as a legendary activity.
(c) They don't understand it at all.
(d) They are horrified by the concepts and live only peaceful quiet lives.
4. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
(a) It means that they will someday go to heaven and be an angel.
(b) It means that they no longer belong to the tribe.
(c) It means they are now an adult.
(d) They are crossing a major threshold necessary to known the ultimate essence of their existence.
5. What does Richardson build his home with?
(a) Oak, cherry, and walnut.
(b) Ironwood, split palm bark, mangrove poles and sago fronds.
(c) He brings in a small airstream trailer and sets it on a platform.
(d) Parts of an old boat which was moored on the river nearby.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Richardsons go to live in New Guinea?
2. What do the Tuans reportedly have to prevent fever and heal sores?
3. What is Carol Richardson feeling as she steps onto the bank of her new home?
4. Who actually completes the murder of Yae?
5. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)