|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, A Baptism of Strangeness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many tribes are in the area of New Guinea?
(a) Fifteen distinct tribes.
(b) Only one.
(c) An estimated four hundred.
(d) Five distinct tribes and ten which could not be classified.
2. What does Narai do when he sees the arrival of the Richardsons?
(a) He blows a warning signal on his bamboo horn to the other tribespeople.
(b) He shoots a flaming arrow back towards the village.
(c) He sends a warning shot on the new gun that Richardson gave him.
(d) He sends up a flare to the other tribespeople.
3. What do the Sawi people do when the long poles holding up their homes begin to rot?
(a) They work with their neighbors and replace all the poles.
(b) They move to another location.
(c) They lower their houses to the ground.
(d) They replace them with steel girders.
4. What does Richardson build his home with?
(a) Parts of an old boat which was moored on the river nearby.
(b) Ironwood, split palm bark, mangrove poles and sago fronds.
(c) He brings in a small airstream trailer and sets it on a platform.
(d) Oak, cherry, and walnut.
5. What is Yae waiting for before he goes to the village of Haenam?
(a) For the rains to come and water his crops.
(b) For the tide to turn so that he can journey more easily.
(c) For God to send him inspiration so that he can name his child.
(d) For the village to nominate him chief.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Sawi warriors do when they meet Don Richardson and John McCain for the first time?
2. What is unique about the kidari along the Kronkel river?
3. What part of the human skeleton do Sawi children play with?
4. What effect does the tide have upon the black, algae-stained Kronkel river?
5. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in our present world?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)