|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, A Baptism of Strangeness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "saravon"?
(a) The relationship between a Sawi man and his mother-in-law.
(b) A customary display of force meant to reassure guests that they are safe.
(c) A nutritious stew made of pork, sago and onions.
(d) A milky drink offered to the river gods every morning.
2. What do the Sawi people do when the long poles holding up their homes begin to rot?
(a) They lower their houses to the ground.
(b) They work with their neighbors and replace all the poles.
(c) They move to another location.
(d) They replace them with steel girders.
3. What flag flies on the deck of the "super canoe"?
(a) The Dutch flag.
(b) The Irian Jaya flag.
(c) The stars and stripes of the United States.
(d) The flag of pirates.
4. Yae's young brother Sao is ill. What is his sickness?
(a) Sao has developed early dementia.
(b) Sao is mentally ill.
(c) Sao has an immune system infection similar to AIDS.
(d) Sao has malaria.
5. What year do the Richardsons go to New Guinea?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the white skin of the Tuans remind the Sawi people of?
2. What do the Sawi warriors bring on their first trading mission to Pirimapun?
3. Who is waiting at the new homesite when the Richardsons arrive?
4. Who is Ebenezer G. Vine?
5. What does seven-month-old Stephen think of his first journey down the Kronkel river?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)