|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, A Baptism of Strangeness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the ancient Sawi custom of "waness"?
(a) One person mixing blood with another person.
(b) A bind created by one person eating food which has touched another person's genitals.
(c) The custom of soaking food in water before eating it.
(d) A custom of men having more than one wife.
2. What brings the Sawi villagers to a sudden halt when they hear it for the first time?
(a) The song of a lark at break of day.
(b) The explosion of a nuclear bomb.
(c) The large migration of birds which flew overhead.
(d) The diesel engines of the Dutch military boats.
3. Why are the Kayagar men upset with Richardson when he announces his intention to build a home in Sawi territory?
(a) The Kayagar village of Amyam is better at building houses than the Sawi.
(b) The village of Amyam is desperate to have a Tuan live with them.
(c) The Kayagar men are afraid of the Sawi and think that Richardson will be killed.
(d) The Kayagar people don't want to paddle all the way down the river.
4. What year do the Richardsons go to New Guinea?
5. What time of day does the Richardson family arrive at their new home?
Short Answer Questions
1. What vessel does the Richardson family use to arrive at their new home?
2. A typical stone axe would be swung 40 times to fell a tree. How many times does Hurip have to swing his steel axe to cut down the tree?
3. What does seven-month-old Stephen think of his first journey down the Kronkel river?
4. What does Richardson build his home with?
5. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in our present world?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)