|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Gods From the Sky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Are the Sawi women involved in head hunting?
(a) Yes, they often lead the charge to the offending village.
(b) Yes, they are very good with spears and often had better aim than their husbands.
(c) The Sawi women are involved only if they are married.
(d) Not directly, but they encourage murder and would participate in clubbing to death wounded victims.
2. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in our present world?
(a) Annihilation and destruction.
(b) Despair and continual war.
(c) Cross-cultural communication.
(d) The end of all we know.
3. What effect does the tide have upon the black, algae-stained Kronkel river?
(a) The tide sends ocean salmon back to the place they spawned.
(b) The tide reverses the river's current and pushes it back into the swamp.
(c) The tide kills fish and wildlife as water rushes in and floods the area.
(d) The tide sends great cresting waves up the river which create chaos.
4. Where is Yae sitting at the beginning of chapter one?
(a) Yae is sitting in his treehouse, forty feet above the Kronkel river.
(b) Yae is sitting in the hospital where his wife is dying in childbirth.
(c) Yae is sitting in a plane which is on its way to Istanbul.
(d) Yae is sitting by the man-made pool in his backyard.
5. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
(a) His own wife.
(b) A thousand dollars.
(c) A gun and sword.
(d) A peace child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Netherlands New Guinea, or Irian Jaya as it is later called, located in relation to Australia?
2. What do the Tuans give the elders who come out to meet them for the first time?
3. When Don Richardson first goes to work with the Sawi people, what foreign nation had claimed that area as its own?
4. A typical stone axe would be swung 40 times to fell a tree. How many times does Hurip have to swing his steel axe to cut down the tree?
5. Why does Yae's wife, Kautap, throw his stone ax in the river when she hears that her husband has been murdered?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)