|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Gods From the Sky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Ironwood Curtain?
(a) It means passing into the jungle that is full of trees which are called ironwood because of their dense hard wood.
(b) It refers to the border of iron which the Sawi people have erected around their territory.
(c) It means passing from the life of easy and plenty, where there is much light, to the darker world of the jungle.
(d) It refers to that curtain which hangs between life and death.
2. Do the Sawi warriors bring weapons with them to Pirimapun?
(a) No, they are not worried about attack because they have supplies to trade.
(b) No, it is forbidden to take any weapon on the river; the spirit gods will be angry.
(c) Yes, they line their canoes with 40 palmwood bows and hundreds of arrows.
(d) Yes, they take plenty of guns and ammunition to guard their goods.
3. What does "Kanggime" mean in the language Dani?
(a) Land without time.
(b) Waiting until the sun comes up.
(c) Mission State.
(d) The place of death.
4. How many treehouses are there, in total, in the Mauro village?
(b) Seven hundred and fifty.
5. What brings the Sawi villagers to a sudden halt when they hear it for the first time?
(a) The song of a lark at break of day.
(b) The large migration of birds which flew overhead.
(c) The explosion of a nuclear bomb.
(d) The diesel engines of the Dutch military boats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hurip trade to obtain his "kapak," his steel ax?
2. How does Yae get from the tree house to the ground?
3. How many tribes are in the area of New Guinea?
4. When Don Richardson first goes to work with the Sawi people, what foreign nation had claimed that area as its own?
5. Are the Sawi women involved in head hunting?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)