|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Gods From the Sky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Kanggime" mean in the language Dani?
(a) The place of death.
(b) Mission State.
(c) Waiting until the sun comes up.
(d) Land without time.
2. Where is Yae's wife, Kautap, cooking as Yae waits to go to Haenam?
(a) In a small boat floating on the river.
(b) In the summer kitchen which is a separate building out back.
(c) At the central place inside the treehouse.
(d) At the stove in her government-supplied trailer.
3. What do Sawi men smoke in their pipes?
(a) Sago leaves.
(b) Tobacco leaves.
(c) Ground bones of wild boars.
(d) Dried mushrooms.
4. What is the ancient Sawi custom of "waness"?
(a) One person mixing blood with another person.
(b) A custom of men having more than one wife.
(c) A bind created by one person eating food which has touched another person's genitals.
(d) The custom of soaking food in water before eating it.
5. What is the most powerful family relationship in Sawi culture?
(a) A man and his mother-in-law.
(b) A mother and her grandmother.
(c) A man and his wife.
(d) Brother to brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
2. Who actually completes the murder of Yae?
3. When Don Richardson first goes to work with the Sawi people, what foreign nation had claimed that area as its own?
4. What does the white skin of the Tuans remind the Sawi people of?
5. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)