|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Gods From the Sky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Do the Sawi warriors bring weapons with them to Pirimapun?
(a) No, it is forbidden to take any weapon on the river; the spirit gods will be angry.
(b) No, they are not worried about attack because they have supplies to trade.
(c) Yes, they take plenty of guns and ammunition to guard their goods.
(d) Yes, they line their canoes with 40 palmwood bows and hundreds of arrows.
2. What is "saravon"?
(a) The relationship between a Sawi man and his mother-in-law.
(b) A nutritious stew made of pork, sago and onions.
(c) A milky drink offered to the river gods every morning.
(d) A customary display of force meant to reassure guests that they are safe.
3. What effect does the tide have upon the black, algae-stained Kronkel river?
(a) The tide sends great cresting waves up the river which create chaos.
(b) The tide kills fish and wildlife as water rushes in and floods the area.
(c) The tide sends ocean salmon back to the place they spawned.
(d) The tide reverses the river's current and pushes it back into the swamp.
4. How many wives does Yae's cousin Wasi have?
(c) Twenty five.
5. What is the name of the tribe that Don Richardson and his wife Carol live with?
(a) The Sowanda tribe.
(b) The Soweto tribe.
(c) The Sawi tribe.
(d) The South End tribe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Sawi expression "hahap kaman" mean?
2. Why does Yae's wife, Kautap, throw his stone ax in the river when she hears that her husband has been murdered?
3. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in our present world?
4. What brings the Sawi villagers to a sudden halt when they hear it for the first time?
5. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)