|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Gods From the Sky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Patches?
(a) The nickname for Richardson's young son.
(b) The fierce watchdog that lives with the missionary family of John McCain.
(c) The cook who makes fried sago worms for Richardson's family.
(d) The translator who makes "patchwork" of the early communications with the Sawi tribe.
2. What brings the Sawi villagers to a sudden halt when they hear it for the first time?
(a) The song of a lark at break of day.
(b) The large migration of birds which flew overhead.
(c) The diesel engines of the Dutch military boats.
(d) The explosion of a nuclear bomb.
3. What does Richardson feel when he first shakes hands with a Sawi elder?
(a) That the Sawi are very short but quite strong.
(b) That they are equally human...flesh and blood...men.
(c) That the Sawi will never understand the way of the modern world.
(d) That these people are not to be trusted...ever...
4. Why do the elders Kigo, Hatu and Numu volunteer to make contact with the Tuans?
(a) These elders have learned some of the Auyu language and think maybe that is what the Tuans speak.
(b) The elders are near death anyway and think they have little to lose
(c) The elders are forced by their tribesmen to do this.
(d) The elders are confused and don't know what they are doing.
5. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in our present world?
(a) The end of all we know.
(b) Despair and continual war.
(c) Cross-cultural communication.
(d) Annihilation and destruction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hurip trade to obtain his "kapak," his steel ax?
2. What is the ancient Sawi custom of "waness"?
3. How do Don and Carol Richardson travel to New Guinea in 1962?
4. What is Yae waiting for before he goes to the village of Haenam?
5. What is the most powerful family relationship in Sawi culture?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)