|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Gods From the Sky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Richardson deal with the Kayagar chief, Yae, when the chief begins to speak loudly?
(a) Richardson puts his hand on Yae's shoulder and speaks English in a soothing tone.
(b) Richardson gets on his knees and prays loudly for peace.
(c) Richardson hits Yae very hard with a pile driver.
(d) Richardson gets the Sawi chief to fight Yae.
2. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
(a) It means they are now an adult.
(b) It means that they no longer belong to the tribe.
(c) They are crossing a major threshold necessary to known the ultimate essence of their existence.
(d) It means that they will someday go to heaven and be an angel.
3. What do the Tuans reportedly have to prevent fever and heal sores?
(a) Fire breathing guns.
(b) Antibiotics and oxygen tanks.
(c) Witchcraft called "obat."
(d) Animal totems.
4. What is the only safe way for a Sawi person to drink water from the river?
(a) To toss each scoop of water in the air and catch it in one's mouth.
(b) To drink it with a straw-like tool made of sago leaves.
(c) The river water must never be drunk. It is full of germs.
(d) To put one's head underwater completely and drink.
5. Who is Patches?
(a) The nickname for Richardson's young son.
(b) The fierce watchdog that lives with the missionary family of John McCain.
(c) The translator who makes "patchwork" of the early communications with the Sawi tribe.
(d) The cook who makes fried sago worms for Richardson's family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brings the Sawi villagers to a sudden halt when they hear it for the first time?
2. What is the word that Sawi greet one another with?
3. What does Richardson feel when he first shakes hands with a Sawi elder?
4. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
5. How many wives does Yae's cousin Wasi have?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)