|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Gods From the Sky.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What brings the Sawi villagers to a sudden halt when they hear it for the first time?
(a) The explosion of a nuclear bomb.
(b) The large migration of birds which flew overhead.
(c) The diesel engines of the Dutch military boats.
(d) The song of a lark at break of day.
2. What is the Prairie Bible Institute?
(a) A far right think tank in western Kansas.
(b) A Christian community and missionary training school in Alberta, Canada.
(c) A large university in Nebraska which was founded by Mennonites.
(d) A school which teaches English and Dutch to the children from the Sawi culture.
3. What effect does the tide have upon the black, algae-stained Kronkel river?
(a) The tide kills fish and wildlife as water rushes in and floods the area.
(b) The tide sends ocean salmon back to the place they spawned.
(c) The tide reverses the river's current and pushes it back into the swamp.
(d) The tide sends great cresting waves up the river which create chaos.
4. What is the Eren ceremony?
(a) A ritual in which a girl or woman is given the jawbone of a freshly killed victim.
(b) A ceremony in which a man and woman adopt orphaned children.
(c) A ritual in which women cook pork and sago to celebrate the full moon.
(d) A ritual in which a girl or woman is given the full status of matriarch.
5. Where is Yae sitting at the beginning of chapter one?
(a) Yae is sitting in the hospital where his wife is dying in childbirth.
(b) Yae is sitting in a plane which is on its way to Istanbul.
(c) Yae is sitting in his treehouse, forty feet above the Kronkel river.
(d) Yae is sitting by the man-made pool in his backyard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yae's young brother Sao is ill. What is his sickness?
2. What does Richardson build his home with?
3. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
4. What do the Tuans reportedly have to prevent fever and heal sores?
5. When Don Richardson first goes to work with the Sawi people, what foreign nation had claimed that area as its own?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)