|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Genesis of a Mission.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why must the women, young men and children leave when Yae's skull is cracked open?
(a) Because they all had to go and swim in the river until nightfall.
(b) Because it is forbidden for them to hear the sound of a skull breaking open.
(c) Because they are not allowed to eat brains.
(d) Because only the older men are cannibals in the Sawi tribe.
2. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
(a) A thousand dollars.
(b) A gun and sword.
(c) His own wife.
(d) A peace child.
3. Where is Netherlands New Guinea, or Irian Jaya as it is later called, located in relation to Australia?
(a) It is not near Australia but located near India.
(b) Southwest of Australia.
(c) Directly north of Australia.
(d) It is in Australia, right in the central district.
4. What year do the Richardsons go to New Guinea?
5. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
(a) She promises that she will send it to Yae's wife as an expression of her sympathy.
(b) She takes the bone and grinds it into fine dust and then spreads it atop the river.
(c) She cries out in jubilation and dances to celebrate her great honor.
(d) She is filled with remorse and grief and refuses to take it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Are the Sawi women involved in head hunting?
2. What brings the Sawi villagers to a sudden halt when they hear it for the first time?
3. What do the Sawi people do when the long poles holding up their homes begin to rot?
4. What is the most powerful family relationship in Sawi culture?
5. What does the white skin of the Tuans remind the Sawi people of?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)