|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Shadow of the Tuans.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Yae get from the tree house to the ground?
(a) Yae swings from vines to a nearby tree and then jumps down.
(b) Yae jumps into a soft pile of leaves.
(c) Yae climbs down a long, vine-fastened ladder.
(d) Yae travels from treetop to treetop, rarely touching the ground.
2. What does the tribe think of treachery and violence?
(a) They honor it as a legendary activity.
(b) They have never heard of treachery and violence.
(c) They don't understand it at all.
(d) They are horrified by the concepts and live only peaceful quiet lives.
3. How many tribes are in the area of New Guinea?
(a) An estimated four hundred.
(b) Only one.
(c) Five distinct tribes and ten which could not be classified.
(d) Fifteen distinct tribes.
4. What is a good strategy for a Sawi village that wants to take revenge against another village?
(a) To let wild animals loose near the village they want to harm.
(b) To make an alliance with a neutral village who will then help.
(c) To move far away and not look back.
(d) To send many young women to the village and establish family ties.
5. What does Hurip trade to obtain his "kapak," his steel ax?
(a) Pork, fish and stone-tipped arrows.
(b) Gold and silver.
(c) Many months of work.
(d) One of his children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in our present world?
2. A typical stone axe would be swung 40 times to fell a tree. How many times does Hurip have to swing his steel axe to cut down the tree?
3. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
4. What does the expression "to fatten with friendship for the slaughter" mean?
5. Where is Netherlands New Guinea, or Irian Jaya as it is later called, located in relation to Australia?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)