|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Shadow of the Tuans.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why must the women, young men and children leave when Yae's skull is cracked open?
(a) Because only the older men are cannibals in the Sawi tribe.
(b) Because they all had to go and swim in the river until nightfall.
(c) Because it is forbidden for them to hear the sound of a skull breaking open.
(d) Because they are not allowed to eat brains.
2. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
(a) He is carrying a concealed gun so that if there is trouble, he can defend himself.
(b) He is bringing them steel axes and a chain saw.
(c) He has been visiting them for seven months and they have been very friendly and warm.
(d) He is marrying the chief's daughter and will soon be related to the tribe.
3. Where is Yae's wife, Kautap, cooking as Yae waits to go to Haenam?
(a) In a small boat floating on the river.
(b) At the stove in her government-supplied trailer.
(c) At the central place inside the treehouse.
(d) In the summer kitchen which is a separate building out back.
4. What is a good strategy for a Sawi village that wants to take revenge against another village?
(a) To make an alliance with a neutral village who will then help.
(b) To let wild animals loose near the village they want to harm.
(c) To send many young women to the village and establish family ties.
(d) To move far away and not look back.
5. What do the Tuans reportedly have to prevent fever and heal sores?
(a) Animal totems.
(b) Antibiotics and oxygen tanks.
(c) Witchcraft called "obat."
(d) Fire breathing guns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the white skin of the Tuans remind the Sawi people of?
2. Which of these terms can be used to describe the tribe?
3. What is Yae waiting for before he goes to the village of Haenam?
4. Where is Yae sitting at the beginning of chapter one?
5. What is the only safe way for a Sawi person to drink water from the river?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)