|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Shadow of the Tuans.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year do the Richardsons go to New Guinea?
2. How does Don Richardson find a way into the hearts and minds of the tribe?
(a) By connecting with their own cultural redemptive analogies.
(b) By having a great sense of humor.
(c) By cooking great meals and making good friends with the elders.
(d) By paying them large sums of cash.
3. What is the primary redemptive analogy which Richardson uses to reach the tribal people?
(a) The tribal ritual of a "peace child."
(b) The tribal ritual of marriage.
(c) The tribal ritual of Jesus and the disciples.
(d) The tribal ritual of "fattening for slaughter."
4. Where is Yae sitting at the beginning of chapter one?
(a) Yae is sitting in his treehouse, forty feet above the Kronkel river.
(b) Yae is sitting in the hospital where his wife is dying in childbirth.
(c) Yae is sitting in a plane which is on its way to Istanbul.
(d) Yae is sitting by the man-made pool in his backyard.
5. What is Yae waiting for before he goes to the village of Haenam?
(a) For the tide to turn so that he can journey more easily.
(b) For God to send him inspiration so that he can name his child.
(c) For the village to nominate him chief.
(d) For the rains to come and water his crops.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Richardsons go to live in New Guinea?
2. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in our present world?
3. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
4. What effect does the tide have upon the black, algae-stained Kronkel river?
5. What kind of flour do the Sawi women use to make bread?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)