|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Shadow of the Tuans.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "saravon"?
(a) The relationship between a Sawi man and his mother-in-law.
(b) A nutritious stew made of pork, sago and onions.
(c) A customary display of force meant to reassure guests that they are safe.
(d) A milky drink offered to the river gods every morning.
2. Where is Yae sitting at the beginning of chapter one?
(a) Yae is sitting in a plane which is on its way to Istanbul.
(b) Yae is sitting by the man-made pool in his backyard.
(c) Yae is sitting in the hospital where his wife is dying in childbirth.
(d) Yae is sitting in his treehouse, forty feet above the Kronkel river.
3. Why does Yae's wife, Kautap, throw his stone ax in the river when she hears that her husband has been murdered?
(a) She is mad with grief.
(b) She doesn't want anyone else to use it.
(c) She believes Yae's spirit will need the ax in the world of the dead.
(d) She is angry at him for going to Haenam.
4. What principle does Don Richardson believe God gives him to offer the tribal people?
(a) The principle of redemption.
(b) The principle of capitalism.
(c) The principle of original sin.
(d) The principle of cause and effect.
5. How many tribes are in the area of New Guinea?
(a) Only one.
(b) Five distinct tribes and ten which could not be classified.
(c) Fifteen distinct tribes.
(d) An estimated four hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Don Richardson find a way into the hearts and minds of the tribe?
2. What does the expression "to fatten with friendship for the slaughter" mean?
3. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in our present world?
4. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
5. What year do the Richardsons go to New Guinea?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)