|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Shadow of the Tuans.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the expression "to fatten with friendship for the slaughter" mean?
(a) Forming friendships with the purpose of betrayal, murder and cannibalism.
(b) Preparing young men for battle with many feasts.
(c) Raising beef cattle in jungle areas using grain and vegetables.
(d) Raising poultry in a kind and humane way.
2. Why does Yae's wife, Kautap, throw his stone ax in the river when she hears that her husband has been murdered?
(a) She believes Yae's spirit will need the ax in the world of the dead.
(b) She doesn't want anyone else to use it.
(c) She is mad with grief.
(d) She is angry at him for going to Haenam.
3. Why do the Richardsons go to live in New Guinea?
(a) They are writing a book on ancient cultures and want to do research.
(b) They feel called to serve God as missionaries.
(c) They have no choice; they are sent by their families.
(d) They think the climate would be good for their health.
4. Who actually completes the murder of Yae?
(a) His mother-in-law.
(b) He dies of starvation.
(c) The dogs of the village.
(d) The women and children of the Haenam village.
5. What do the Tuans reportedly have to prevent fever and heal sores?
(a) Witchcraft called "obat."
(b) Animal totems.
(c) Fire breathing guns.
(d) Antibiotics and oxygen tanks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
2. How many wives does Yae's cousin Wasi have?
3. What does the tribe think of treachery and violence?
4. What is "saravon"?
5. What is a good strategy for a Sawi village that wants to take revenge against another village?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)