|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Shadow of the Tuans.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What might a visitor in a Sawi village be offered as a snack?
(a) Chicken pot pie with carrots and potatoes.
(b) Freshly toasted sago grubs.
(c) Lobster, recently cooked and dipped in butter.
(d) Pudding made from a bear liver.
2. What is the name of the tribe that Don Richardson and his wife Carol live with?
(a) The Soweto tribe.
(b) The South End tribe.
(c) The Sowanda tribe.
(d) The Sawi tribe.
3. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
(a) It means they are now an adult.
(b) It means that they will someday go to heaven and be an angel.
(c) They are crossing a major threshold necessary to known the ultimate essence of their existence.
(d) It means that they no longer belong to the tribe.
4. What is "saravon"?
(a) A nutritious stew made of pork, sago and onions.
(b) A milky drink offered to the river gods every morning.
(c) A customary display of force meant to reassure guests that they are safe.
(d) The relationship between a Sawi man and his mother-in-law.
5. What do the Sawi assume when they hear that the Tuans are almost all men?
(a) Tuans are supernatural and do not need to procreate.
(b) Tuans kill and eat their women.
(c) Tuans live forever and therefore do not need offspring.
(d) The men must fight to obtain wives since there are so few women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year do the Richardsons go to New Guinea?
2. How many wives does Yae's cousin Wasi have?
3. Who actually completes the murder of Yae?
4. Why must the women, young men and children leave when Yae's skull is cracked open?
5. What does the tribe think of treachery and violence?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)