|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Shadow of the Tuans.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Yae's wife, Kautap, throw his stone ax in the river when she hears that her husband has been murdered?
(a) She doesn't want anyone else to use it.
(b) She is mad with grief.
(c) She believes Yae's spirit will need the ax in the world of the dead.
(d) She is angry at him for going to Haenam.
2. What is "saravon"?
(a) A milky drink offered to the river gods every morning.
(b) A nutritious stew made of pork, sago and onions.
(c) A customary display of force meant to reassure guests that they are safe.
(d) The relationship between a Sawi man and his mother-in-law.
3. Why must the women, young men and children leave when Yae's skull is cracked open?
(a) Because it is forbidden for them to hear the sound of a skull breaking open.
(b) Because they all had to go and swim in the river until nightfall.
(c) Because they are not allowed to eat brains.
(d) Because only the older men are cannibals in the Sawi tribe.
4. A typical stone axe would be swung 40 times to fell a tree. How many times does Hurip have to swing his steel axe to cut down the tree?
(a) Four times
(c) 39 times.
(d) 80 times.
5. Why do the Richardsons go to live in New Guinea?
(a) They are writing a book on ancient cultures and want to do research.
(b) They have no choice; they are sent by their families.
(c) They feel called to serve God as missionaries.
(d) They think the climate would be good for their health.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many wives does Yae's cousin Wasi have?
2. What does the white skin of the Tuans remind the Sawi people of?
3. What does Hurip trade to obtain his "kapak," his steel ax?
4. Where is Netherlands New Guinea, or Irian Jaya as it is later called, located in relation to Australia?
5. What does the tribe think of treachery and violence?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)