|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Shadow of the Tuans.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the primary redemptive analogy which Richardson uses to reach the tribal people?
(a) The tribal ritual of Jesus and the disciples.
(b) The tribal ritual of marriage.
(c) The tribal ritual of a "peace child."
(d) The tribal ritual of "fattening for slaughter."
2. Where is Yae sitting at the beginning of chapter one?
(a) Yae is sitting by the man-made pool in his backyard.
(b) Yae is sitting in a plane which is on its way to Istanbul.
(c) Yae is sitting in the hospital where his wife is dying in childbirth.
(d) Yae is sitting in his treehouse, forty feet above the Kronkel river.
3. What effect does the tide have upon the black, algae-stained Kronkel river?
(a) The tide reverses the river's current and pushes it back into the swamp.
(b) The tide sends ocean salmon back to the place they spawned.
(c) The tide kills fish and wildlife as water rushes in and floods the area.
(d) The tide sends great cresting waves up the river which create chaos.
4. Where is Netherlands New Guinea, or Irian Jaya as it is later called, located in relation to Australia?
(a) It is not near Australia but located near India.
(b) Directly north of Australia.
(c) Southwest of Australia.
(d) It is in Australia, right in the central district.
5. What might a visitor in a Sawi village be offered as a snack?
(a) Freshly toasted sago grubs.
(b) Chicken pot pie with carrots and potatoes.
(c) Pudding made from a bear liver.
(d) Lobster, recently cooked and dipped in butter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year do the Richardsons go to New Guinea?
2. Yae's young brother Sao is ill. What is his sickness?
3. What principle does Don Richardson believe God gives him to offer the tribal people?
4. What do the Sawi assume when they hear that the Tuans are almost all men?
5. How many tribes are in the area of New Guinea?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)