|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Shadow of the Tuans.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who actually completes the murder of Yae?
(a) His mother-in-law.
(b) The dogs of the village.
(c) He dies of starvation.
(d) The women and children of the Haenam village.
2. Why do the Richardsons go to live in New Guinea?
(a) They have no choice; they are sent by their families.
(b) They are writing a book on ancient cultures and want to do research.
(c) They think the climate would be good for their health.
(d) They feel called to serve God as missionaries.
3. What kind of flour do the Sawi women use to make bread?
(a) Whole wheat flour.
(b) Bamboo fiber flour.
(c) Rice flour.
(d) Sago flour.
4. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
(a) She takes the bone and grinds it into fine dust and then spreads it atop the river.
(b) She cries out in jubilation and dances to celebrate her great honor.
(c) She is filled with remorse and grief and refuses to take it.
(d) She promises that she will send it to Yae's wife as an expression of her sympathy.
5. Why must the women, young men and children leave when Yae's skull is cracked open?
(a) Because they are not allowed to eat brains.
(b) Because they all had to go and swim in the river until nightfall.
(c) Because only the older men are cannibals in the Sawi tribe.
(d) Because it is forbidden for them to hear the sound of a skull breaking open.
Short Answer Questions
1. A typical stone axe would be swung 40 times to fell a tree. How many times does Hurip have to swing his steel axe to cut down the tree?
2. What does "Tuwi asonai makaerin" mean?
3. What is the name of the tribe that Don Richardson and his wife Carol live with?
4. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in our present world?
5. Where is Yae sitting at the beginning of chapter one?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)