|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Shadow of the Tuans.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Sawi assume when they hear that the Tuans are almost all men?
(a) Tuans are supernatural and do not need to procreate.
(b) The men must fight to obtain wives since there are so few women.
(c) Tuans live forever and therefore do not need offspring.
(d) Tuans kill and eat their women.
2. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
(a) He has been visiting them for seven months and they have been very friendly and warm.
(b) He is carrying a concealed gun so that if there is trouble, he can defend himself.
(c) He is bringing them steel axes and a chain saw.
(d) He is marrying the chief's daughter and will soon be related to the tribe.
3. What effect does the tide have upon the black, algae-stained Kronkel river?
(a) The tide kills fish and wildlife as water rushes in and floods the area.
(b) The tide sends great cresting waves up the river which create chaos.
(c) The tide sends ocean salmon back to the place they spawned.
(d) The tide reverses the river's current and pushes it back into the swamp.
4. What does Hurip trade to obtain his "kapak," his steel ax?
(a) Pork, fish and stone-tipped arrows.
(b) One of his children.
(c) Gold and silver.
(d) Many months of work.
5. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
(a) It means that they no longer belong to the tribe.
(b) It means that they will someday go to heaven and be an angel.
(c) It means they are now an adult.
(d) They are crossing a major threshold necessary to known the ultimate essence of their existence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in our present world?
2. Where is Netherlands New Guinea, or Irian Jaya as it is later called, located in relation to Australia?
3. Why is Yae going on a journey to the nearby village of Haenam?
4. Where is Yae's wife, Kautap, cooking as Yae waits to go to Haenam?
5. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)