|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Shadow of the Tuans.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many tribes are in the area of New Guinea?
(a) An estimated four hundred.
(b) Five distinct tribes and ten which could not be classified.
(c) Fifteen distinct tribes.
(d) Only one.
2. What does Richardson believe is unavoidable in our present world?
(a) Annihilation and destruction.
(b) The end of all we know.
(c) Despair and continual war.
(d) Cross-cultural communication.
3. What year do the Richardsons go to New Guinea?
4. What does the tribe think of treachery and violence?
(a) They are horrified by the concepts and live only peaceful quiet lives.
(b) They don't understand it at all.
(c) They have never heard of treachery and violence.
(d) They honor it as a legendary activity.
5. Where is Netherlands New Guinea, or Irian Jaya as it is later called, located in relation to Australia?
(a) Southwest of Australia.
(b) It is in Australia, right in the central district.
(c) It is not near Australia but located near India.
(d) Directly north of Australia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the expression "to fatten with friendship for the slaughter" mean?
2. What is a good strategy for a Sawi village that wants to take revenge against another village?
3. What is the primary redemptive analogy which Richardson uses to reach the tribal people?
4. What does Hurip trade to obtain his "kapak," his steel ax?
5. What part of the human skeleton do Sawi children play with?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)