|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Shadow of the Tuans.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What might a visitor in a Sawi village be offered as a snack?
(a) Pudding made from a bear liver.
(b) Chicken pot pie with carrots and potatoes.
(c) Lobster, recently cooked and dipped in butter.
(d) Freshly toasted sago grubs.
2. How many tribes are in the area of New Guinea?
(a) An estimated four hundred.
(b) Five distinct tribes and ten which could not be classified.
(c) Fifteen distinct tribes.
(d) Only one.
3. What is the name of the tribe that Don Richardson and his wife Carol live with?
(a) The Sawi tribe.
(b) The South End tribe.
(c) The Soweto tribe.
(d) The Sowanda tribe.
4. What does the expression "to fatten with friendship for the slaughter" mean?
(a) Forming friendships with the purpose of betrayal, murder and cannibalism.
(b) Preparing young men for battle with many feasts.
(c) Raising poultry in a kind and humane way.
(d) Raising beef cattle in jungle areas using grain and vegetables.
5. Who actually completes the murder of Yae?
(a) He dies of starvation.
(b) The women and children of the Haenam village.
(c) His mother-in-law.
(d) The dogs of the village.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Tuans reportedly have to prevent fever and heal sores?
2. Why is Yae going on a journey to the nearby village of Haenam?
3. What is a good strategy for a Sawi village that wants to take revenge against another village?
4. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
5. What do the Sawi assume when they hear that the Tuans are almost all men?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)