|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Shadow of the Tuans.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the tribe think of treachery and violence?
(a) They are horrified by the concepts and live only peaceful quiet lives.
(b) They have never heard of treachery and violence.
(c) They don't understand it at all.
(d) They honor it as a legendary activity.
2. What is the name of the tribe that Don Richardson and his wife Carol live with?
(a) The South End tribe.
(b) The Sowanda tribe.
(c) The Soweto tribe.
(d) The Sawi tribe.
3. Why is Yae going on a journey to the nearby village of Haenam?
(a) He is trying to forge an alliance between his village, Mauro, and Haenam.
(b) He is going to visit his mother who lives in Haenam.
(c) He is thinking of moving from Mauro to Haenam.
(d) He is campaigning for political office and needs the support of Haenam villagers.
4. What do the Tuans reportedly have to prevent fever and heal sores?
(a) Antibiotics and oxygen tanks.
(b) Witchcraft called "obat."
(c) Animal totems.
(d) Fire breathing guns.
5. What is the only safe way for a Sawi person to drink water from the river?
(a) The river water must never be drunk. It is full of germs.
(b) To put one's head underwater completely and drink.
(c) To toss each scoop of water in the air and catch it in one's mouth.
(d) To drink it with a straw-like tool made of sago leaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
2. What might a visitor in a Sawi village be offered as a snack?
3. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
4. What is "saravon"?
5. What do the Sawi assume when they hear that the Tuans are almost all men?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)