|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Shadow of the Tuans.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Sawi assume when they hear that the Tuans are almost all men?
(a) Tuans kill and eat their women.
(b) The men must fight to obtain wives since there are so few women.
(c) Tuans are supernatural and do not need to procreate.
(d) Tuans live forever and therefore do not need offspring.
2. What does the tribe think of treachery and violence?
(a) They have never heard of treachery and violence.
(b) They honor it as a legendary activity.
(c) They are horrified by the concepts and live only peaceful quiet lives.
(d) They don't understand it at all.
3. A typical stone axe would be swung 40 times to fell a tree. How many times does Hurip have to swing his steel axe to cut down the tree?
(a) Four times
(b) 80 times.
(d) 39 times.
4. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
(a) She takes the bone and grinds it into fine dust and then spreads it atop the river.
(b) She is filled with remorse and grief and refuses to take it.
(c) She cries out in jubilation and dances to celebrate her great honor.
(d) She promises that she will send it to Yae's wife as an expression of her sympathy.
5. What is the only safe way for a Sawi person to drink water from the river?
(a) To toss each scoop of water in the air and catch it in one's mouth.
(b) To drink it with a straw-like tool made of sago leaves.
(c) The river water must never be drunk. It is full of germs.
(d) To put one's head underwater completely and drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year do the Richardsons go to New Guinea?
2. What do the Tuans reportedly have to prevent fever and heal sores?
3. What does the expression "to fatten with friendship for the slaughter" mean?
4. Why do the Richardsons go to live in New Guinea?
5. What might a visitor in a Sawi village be offered as a snack?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)