|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Shadow of the Tuans.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A typical stone axe would be swung 40 times to fell a tree. How many times does Hurip have to swing his steel axe to cut down the tree?
(a) 80 times.
(b) 39 times.
(d) Four times
2. How does Yae get from the tree house to the ground?
(a) Yae jumps into a soft pile of leaves.
(b) Yae climbs down a long, vine-fastened ladder.
(c) Yae swings from vines to a nearby tree and then jumps down.
(d) Yae travels from treetop to treetop, rarely touching the ground.
3. What do the Tuans reportedly have to prevent fever and heal sores?
(a) Witchcraft called "obat."
(b) Fire breathing guns.
(c) Animal totems.
(d) Antibiotics and oxygen tanks.
4. Why does Yae's wife, Kautap, throw his stone ax in the river when she hears that her husband has been murdered?
(a) She doesn't want anyone else to use it.
(b) She is mad with grief.
(c) She believes Yae's spirit will need the ax in the world of the dead.
(d) She is angry at him for going to Haenam.
5. What is the name of the sea which the Kronkel river empties into?
(a) The Agrabar Waterway.
(b) The Atlantic Ocean.
(c) The Agramenon Basin.
(d) The Arafura Sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
2. What does the tribe think of treachery and violence?
3. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
4. What does the white skin of the Tuans remind the Sawi people of?
5. Where is Netherlands New Guinea, or Irian Jaya as it is later called, located in relation to Australia?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)