|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Shadow of the Tuans.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Yae's wife, Kautap, cooking as Yae waits to go to Haenam?
(a) In a small boat floating on the river.
(b) At the central place inside the treehouse.
(c) At the stove in her government-supplied trailer.
(d) In the summer kitchen which is a separate building out back.
2. Where is Yae sitting at the beginning of chapter one?
(a) Yae is sitting in the hospital where his wife is dying in childbirth.
(b) Yae is sitting in a plane which is on its way to Istanbul.
(c) Yae is sitting by the man-made pool in his backyard.
(d) Yae is sitting in his treehouse, forty feet above the Kronkel river.
3. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
(a) Kauwan has been taken away to the jungle by his family.
(b) Kauwan is deaf and cannot hear Yae's cry of fear.
(c) Kauwan is Yae's brother and has no power.
(d) Kauwan has been promised a wife by one of the village men.
4. Who actually completes the murder of Yae?
(a) The dogs of the village.
(b) He dies of starvation.
(c) His mother-in-law.
(d) The women and children of the Haenam village.
5. What do the Sawi assume when they hear that the Tuans are almost all men?
(a) Tuans kill and eat their women.
(b) Tuans are supernatural and do not need to procreate.
(c) Tuans live forever and therefore do not need offspring.
(d) The men must fight to obtain wives since there are so few women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the tribe that Don Richardson and his wife Carol live with?
2. What is the only safe way for a Sawi person to drink water from the river?
3. Which of these terms can be used to describe the tribe?
4. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
5. What is the name of the sea which the Kronkel river empties into?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)