|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Shadow of the Tuans.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the white skin of the Tuans remind the Sawi people of?
(a) The mouth of a crocodile.
(b) Moonlight on the river.
(c) New sago flour.
(d) A face made of teeth.
2. Where is Netherlands New Guinea, or Irian Jaya as it is later called, located in relation to Australia?
(a) Southwest of Australia.
(b) It is not near Australia but located near India.
(c) It is in Australia, right in the central district.
(d) Directly north of Australia.
3. What is the name of the sea which the Kronkel river empties into?
(a) The Arafura Sea.
(b) The Agramenon Basin.
(c) The Agrabar Waterway.
(d) The Atlantic Ocean.
4. What is "saravon"?
(a) A milky drink offered to the river gods every morning.
(b) The relationship between a Sawi man and his mother-in-law.
(c) A nutritious stew made of pork, sago and onions.
(d) A customary display of force meant to reassure guests that they are safe.
5. How does Don Richardson find a way into the hearts and minds of the tribe?
(a) By cooking great meals and making good friends with the elders.
(b) By having a great sense of humor.
(c) By connecting with their own cultural redemptive analogies.
(d) By paying them large sums of cash.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Yae going on a journey to the nearby village of Haenam?
2. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
3. What principle does Don Richardson believe God gives him to offer the tribal people?
4. What is the only safe way for a Sawi person to drink water from the river?
5. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)