|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Shadow of the Tuans.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the white skin of the Tuans remind the Sawi people of?
(a) New sago flour.
(b) The mouth of a crocodile.
(c) Moonlight on the river.
(d) A face made of teeth.
2. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
(a) It means that they no longer belong to the tribe.
(b) It means that they will someday go to heaven and be an angel.
(c) It means they are now an adult.
(d) They are crossing a major threshold necessary to known the ultimate essence of their existence.
3. Why do the Richardsons go to live in New Guinea?
(a) They have no choice; they are sent by their families.
(b) They are writing a book on ancient cultures and want to do research.
(c) They think the climate would be good for their health.
(d) They feel called to serve God as missionaries.
4. Where is Yae sitting at the beginning of chapter one?
(a) Yae is sitting in a plane which is on its way to Istanbul.
(b) Yae is sitting in the hospital where his wife is dying in childbirth.
(c) Yae is sitting in his treehouse, forty feet above the Kronkel river.
(d) Yae is sitting by the man-made pool in his backyard.
5. Who actually completes the murder of Yae?
(a) The women and children of the Haenam village.
(b) His mother-in-law.
(c) He dies of starvation.
(d) The dogs of the village.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the sea which the Kronkel river empties into?
2. What does the tribe think of treachery and violence?
3. A typical stone axe would be swung 40 times to fell a tree. How many times does Hurip have to swing his steel axe to cut down the tree?
4. Where is Netherlands New Guinea, or Irian Jaya as it is later called, located in relation to Australia?
5. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)