|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22, The Power of Aumamay.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Yae going on a journey to the nearby village of Haenam?
(a) He is thinking of moving from Mauro to Haenam.
(b) He is campaigning for political office and needs the support of Haenam villagers.
(c) He is going to visit his mother who lives in Haenam.
(d) He is trying to forge an alliance between his village, Mauro, and Haenam.
2. Why do the young boys spread the news that the Richardson family is eating brains?
(a) Because they are lying to get attention.
(b) Because the Richardsons frighten them.
(c) Because their macaroni supper looks like brains.
(d) Because Richardsons tell the boys this to frighten them.
3. Mahean is the first to step forward to try to carry out the peace child ritual. What stops him?
(a) His wife, Syado, takes her child and runs back to the tribe.
(b) The child on his back weeps and wails until Mahean gives up.
(c) A shower of arrows stops him.
(d) His conscience gets the better of him.
4. What do the Sawi people call Jesus?
(a) Tarap Tim Kodon, the perfect peace child.
(b) Jesus the Tailor, the one who makes us new.
(c) Tawanda Tahoi, the one who is beyond reach.
(d) Tahari Tamala, the spirit who rises again.
5. Where is Yae sitting at the beginning of chapter one?
(a) Yae is sitting in his treehouse, forty feet above the Kronkel river.
(b) Yae is sitting in a plane which is on its way to Istanbul.
(c) Yae is sitting by the man-made pool in his backyard.
(d) Yae is sitting in the hospital where his wife is dying in childbirth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yae's young brother Sao is ill. What is his sickness?
2. What is the first thing Warahi says when he comes out of his coma?
3. What do the Sawi people do when the long poles holding up their homes begin to rot?
4. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
5. Why must the women, young men and children leave when Yae's skull is cracked open?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)