|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22, The Power of Aumamay.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why must the women, young men and children leave when Yae's skull is cracked open?
(a) Because it is forbidden for them to hear the sound of a skull breaking open.
(b) Because they are not allowed to eat brains.
(c) Because only the older men are cannibals in the Sawi tribe.
(d) Because they all had to go and swim in the river until nightfall.
2. What does Don Richardson do that frightens the Sawi people away from his house?
(a) He lights a kerosene lamp in the darkness.
(b) He shoots a shot gun in their direction.
(c) He throws a handful of firecrackers out of the front door.
(d) He eats brains.
3. What is the first thing Warahi says when he comes out of his coma?
(a) "Where am I?"
(b) "O Mother, don't be sad."
(c) "Help me up, I must walk."
(d) "I am hungry."
4. What does seven-month-old Stephen think of his first journey down the Kronkel river?
(a) Stephen is full of wonder and awe.
(b) Stephen sleeps the entire way.
(c) Stephen is bored and plays with his toys, rarely looking up.
(d) Stephen is very frightened and cannot stop crying.
5. Where is Yae's wife, Kautap, cooking as Yae waits to go to Haenam?
(a) At the central place inside the treehouse.
(b) At the stove in her government-supplied trailer.
(c) In a small boat floating on the river.
(d) In the summer kitchen which is a separate building out back.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the women do during battle?
2. What time of day does the Richardson family arrive at their new home?
3. What is "saravon"?
4. What does the high pitched command signal should happen?
5. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)