|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22, The Power of Aumamay.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are dead bodies interred in a Sawi village?
(a) They are sunk in the Kronkel river just downstream of the village.
(b) In a small, coffin-sized gravehouse, elevated five to fifteen feet above ground.
(c) Deep in the earth, directly under the family longhouse.
(d) In a communal grave, on the edge of the village.
2. What do the Sawi people raise their children to be?
(a) Invisible in the jungle.
(b) Musical and artistic.
(c) Strong willed.
(d) Quiet and reticent.
3. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
(a) He is marrying the chief's daughter and will soon be related to the tribe.
(b) He is carrying a concealed gun so that if there is trouble, he can defend himself.
(c) He has been visiting them for seven months and they have been very friendly and warm.
(d) He is bringing them steel axes and a chain saw.
4. Why do the elders Kigo, Hatu and Numu volunteer to make contact with the Tuans?
(a) The elders are near death anyway and think they have little to lose
(b) The elders are confused and don't know what they are doing.
(c) The elders are forced by their tribesmen to do this.
(d) These elders have learned some of the Auyu language and think maybe that is what the Tuans speak.
5. What is the ancient Sawi custom of "waness"?
(a) A bind created by one person eating food which has touched another person's genitals.
(b) The custom of soaking food in water before eating it.
(c) A custom of men having more than one wife.
(d) One person mixing blood with another person.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Kayagar men upset with Richardson when he announces his intention to build a home in Sawi territory?
2. Why must the women, young men and children leave when Yae's skull is cracked open?
3. What is unique about the kidari along the Kronkel river?
4. What do Sawi people do if twins are born?
5. What happens to Er when he makes advances towards a girl?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)