|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22, The Power of Aumamay.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it so difficult for the Sawi people to convert to Richardson's faith?
(a) They cannot speak English.
(b) They are cowards and afraid to try anything new.
(c) They trust the ancient Sawi culture which is all they have ever known.
(d) They have no spiritual life.
2. Who stands at the front of the battle, on the front line, so to speak?
(a) The jesters and clowns are sent to the front to distract.
(b) The young teenage boys.
(c) The women.
(d) The most experienced warriors.
3. What problems does Richardson face personally as he starts his sixth month of living with the Sawi people?
(a) Government interference and high taxes.
(b) Depression, Stephen's malaria, his wife's pregnancy and a general loss of hope.
(c) Monsoon rains which washed away the foundation of his home.
(d) Daily threats of violence to his family, his home being set on fire and his mother dying back in Canada.
4. What is the Eren ceremony?
(a) A ritual in which a girl or woman is given the full status of matriarch.
(b) A ceremony in which a man and woman adopt orphaned children.
(c) A ritual in which women cook pork and sago to celebrate the full moon.
(d) A ritual in which a girl or woman is given the jawbone of a freshly killed victim.
5. Where is Yae's wife, Kautap, cooking as Yae waits to go to Haenam?
(a) In a small boat floating on the river.
(b) At the central place inside the treehouse.
(c) In the summer kitchen which is a separate building out back.
(d) At the stove in her government-supplied trailer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richardson believe keeps true peace from existing among Sawi people?
2. What does seven-month-old Stephen think of his first journey down the Kronkel river?
3. Who is Patches?
4. What do the Tuans give the elders who come out to meet them for the first time?
5. What do Sawi people do if twins are born?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)