|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Through the Ironwood Curtain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
(a) Kauwan is Yae's brother and has no power.
(b) Kauwan has been promised a wife by one of the village men.
(c) Kauwan is deaf and cannot hear Yae's cry of fear.
(d) Kauwan has been taken away to the jungle by his family.
2. What is the Ironwood Curtain?
(a) It refers to the border of iron which the Sawi people have erected around their territory.
(b) It means passing into the jungle that is full of trees which are called ironwood because of their dense hard wood.
(c) It means passing from the life of easy and plenty, where there is much light, to the darker world of the jungle.
(d) It refers to that curtain which hangs between life and death.
3. Are the Sawi women involved in head hunting?
(a) Not directly, but they encourage murder and would participate in clubbing to death wounded victims.
(b) The Sawi women are involved only if they are married.
(c) Yes, they are very good with spears and often had better aim than their husbands.
(d) Yes, they often lead the charge to the offending village.
4. Why does Yae's wife, Kautap, throw his stone ax in the river when she hears that her husband has been murdered?
(a) She believes Yae's spirit will need the ax in the world of the dead.
(b) She is angry at him for going to Haenam.
(c) She is mad with grief.
(d) She doesn't want anyone else to use it.
5. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
(a) A peace child.
(b) A thousand dollars.
(c) A gun and sword.
(d) His own wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does the tide have upon the black, algae-stained Kronkel river?
2. What kind of flour do the Sawi women use to make bread?
3. What is the name of the sea which the Kronkel river empties into?
4. What is unique about the kidari along the Kronkel river?
5. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)