|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Through the Ironwood Curtain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unique about the kidari along the Kronkel river?
(a) The kidari has dangerous currents which should be avoided.
(b) The kidari is the longest straight stretch of the river.
(c) The kidari is a waterfall which falls some 500 feet.
(d) The kidari has many types of exotic fish which visit it.
2. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
(a) She is filled with remorse and grief and refuses to take it.
(b) She promises that she will send it to Yae's wife as an expression of her sympathy.
(c) She cries out in jubilation and dances to celebrate her great honor.
(d) She takes the bone and grinds it into fine dust and then spreads it atop the river.
3. Why does Yae's wife, Kautap, throw his stone ax in the river when she hears that her husband has been murdered?
(a) She doesn't want anyone else to use it.
(b) She believes Yae's spirit will need the ax in the world of the dead.
(c) She is mad with grief.
(d) She is angry at him for going to Haenam.
4. What is Yae waiting for before he goes to the village of Haenam?
(a) For the village to nominate him chief.
(b) For God to send him inspiration so that he can name his child.
(c) For the rains to come and water his crops.
(d) For the tide to turn so that he can journey more easily.
5. What is the ancient Sawi custom of "waness"?
(a) One person mixing blood with another person.
(b) A custom of men having more than one wife.
(c) A bind created by one person eating food which has touched another person's genitals.
(d) The custom of soaking food in water before eating it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Sawi warriors bring on their first trading mission to Pirimapun?
2. Why must the women, young men and children leave when Yae's skull is cracked open?
3. Who actually completes the murder of Yae?
4. What is "saravon"?
5. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)