|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Through the Ironwood Curtain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Yae's wife, Kautap, throw his stone ax in the river when she hears that her husband has been murdered?
(a) She is angry at him for going to Haenam.
(b) She is mad with grief.
(c) She believes Yae's spirit will need the ax in the world of the dead.
(d) She doesn't want anyone else to use it.
2. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
(a) She promises that she will send it to Yae's wife as an expression of her sympathy.
(b) She takes the bone and grinds it into fine dust and then spreads it atop the river.
(c) She cries out in jubilation and dances to celebrate her great honor.
(d) She is filled with remorse and grief and refuses to take it.
3. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
(a) Because of lice.
(b) Because it customary for a bride to have a shaved head.
(c) Because it would show how wise she was.
(d) Because her husband has died.
4. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
(a) He is carrying a concealed gun so that if there is trouble, he can defend himself.
(b) He is bringing them steel axes and a chain saw.
(c) He has been visiting them for seven months and they have been very friendly and warm.
(d) He is marrying the chief's daughter and will soon be related to the tribe.
5. How many wives does Yae's cousin Wasi have?
(c) Twenty five.
Short Answer Questions
1. What flag flies on the deck of the "super canoe"?
2. Why is Yae going on a journey to the nearby village of Haenam?
3. What is the name of the sea which the Kronkel river empties into?
4. What is unique about the kidari along the Kronkel river?
5. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)