|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Through the Ironwood Curtain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Richardson like about the possibility of building on the kidari?
(a) It is close to connections for electricity and gas.
(b) It is in the middle of a large village.
(c) It is surrounded by huge stone walls.
(d) It is a good place for the mission plane to land.
2. Why does Yae's wife, Kautap, throw his stone ax in the river when she hears that her husband has been murdered?
(a) She is angry at him for going to Haenam.
(b) She believes Yae's spirit will need the ax in the world of the dead.
(c) She doesn't want anyone else to use it.
(d) She is mad with grief.
3. What does "Tuwi asonai makaerin" mean?
(a) To leave a little on one's plate.
(b) To fatten with friendship.
(c) To give a child in exchange for goods and services.
(d) To bow with deep respect to ones mother in law.
4. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
(a) They are crossing a major threshold necessary to known the ultimate essence of their existence.
(b) It means they are now an adult.
(c) It means that they will someday go to heaven and be an angel.
(d) It means that they no longer belong to the tribe.
5. Who actually completes the murder of Yae?
(a) The women and children of the Haenam village.
(b) The dogs of the village.
(c) His mother-in-law.
(d) He dies of starvation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the ancient Sawi custom of "waness"?
2. What do Sawi men smoke in their pipes?
3. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
4. Why must the women, young men and children leave when Yae's skull is cracked open?
5. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)