|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Through the Ironwood Curtain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Ironwood Curtain?
(a) It means passing into the jungle that is full of trees which are called ironwood because of their dense hard wood.
(b) It means passing from the life of easy and plenty, where there is much light, to the darker world of the jungle.
(c) It refers to the border of iron which the Sawi people have erected around their territory.
(d) It refers to that curtain which hangs between life and death.
2. Why is Yae going on a journey to the nearby village of Haenam?
(a) He is thinking of moving from Mauro to Haenam.
(b) He is campaigning for political office and needs the support of Haenam villagers.
(c) He is going to visit his mother who lives in Haenam.
(d) He is trying to forge an alliance between his village, Mauro, and Haenam.
3. Are the Sawi women involved in head hunting?
(a) Yes, they often lead the charge to the offending village.
(b) Yes, they are very good with spears and often had better aim than their husbands.
(c) The Sawi women are involved only if they are married.
(d) Not directly, but they encourage murder and would participate in clubbing to death wounded victims.
4. What do the Tuans give the elders who come out to meet them for the first time?
(a) Matches, razorblades and fishing equipment.
(b) Necklaces made of brightly colored beads.
(c) A bible, radio and a flashlight.
(d) Pens, paper and stamps.
5. What brings the Sawi villagers to a sudden halt when they hear it for the first time?
(a) The song of a lark at break of day.
(b) The explosion of a nuclear bomb.
(c) The large migration of birds which flew overhead.
(d) The diesel engines of the Dutch military boats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the sea which the Kronkel river empties into?
2. What is the Eren ceremony?
3. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
4. Who actually completes the murder of Yae?
5. What is unique about the kidari along the Kronkel river?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)