|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Through the Ironwood Curtain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Sawi warriors bring on their first trading mission to Pirimapun?
(a) Guns, ammunition, spears and dynamite.
(b) Elaborately carved masks and feather-adorned costumes.
(c) Pottery made from dark red riverbank clay.
(d) Sago flour, beetle grubs, lori parrots and chickens.
2. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
(a) A peace child.
(b) A thousand dollars.
(c) His own wife.
(d) A gun and sword.
3. What is the most powerful family relationship in Sawi culture?
(a) Brother to brother.
(b) A man and his mother-in-law.
(c) A mother and her grandmother.
(d) A man and his wife.
4. What might a visitor in a Sawi village be offered as a snack?
(a) Freshly toasted sago grubs.
(b) Pudding made from a bear liver.
(c) Chicken pot pie with carrots and potatoes.
(d) Lobster, recently cooked and dipped in butter.
5. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
(a) Because of lice.
(b) Because it customary for a bride to have a shaved head.
(c) Because it would show how wise she was.
(d) Because her husband has died.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yae's young brother Sao is ill. What is his sickness?
2. Where is Yae's wife, Kautap, cooking as Yae waits to go to Haenam?
3. What brings the Sawi villagers to a sudden halt when they hear it for the first time?
4. How many wives does Yae's cousin Wasi have?
5. How does Yae get from the tree house to the ground?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)