|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Through the Ironwood Curtain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Yae sitting at the beginning of chapter one?
(a) Yae is sitting in a plane which is on its way to Istanbul.
(b) Yae is sitting by the man-made pool in his backyard.
(c) Yae is sitting in the hospital where his wife is dying in childbirth.
(d) Yae is sitting in his treehouse, forty feet above the Kronkel river.
2. Why is Yae going on a journey to the nearby village of Haenam?
(a) He is going to visit his mother who lives in Haenam.
(b) He is campaigning for political office and needs the support of Haenam villagers.
(c) He is trying to forge an alliance between his village, Mauro, and Haenam.
(d) He is thinking of moving from Mauro to Haenam.
3. What is the most powerful family relationship in Sawi culture?
(a) A man and his wife.
(b) A mother and her grandmother.
(c) Brother to brother.
(d) A man and his mother-in-law.
4. What is the Ironwood Curtain?
(a) It refers to that curtain which hangs between life and death.
(b) It means passing from the life of easy and plenty, where there is much light, to the darker world of the jungle.
(c) It means passing into the jungle that is full of trees which are called ironwood because of their dense hard wood.
(d) It refers to the border of iron which the Sawi people have erected around their territory.
5. What does "Tuwi asonai makaerin" mean?
(a) To give a child in exchange for goods and services.
(b) To leave a little on one's plate.
(c) To bow with deep respect to ones mother in law.
(d) To fatten with friendship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Sawi warriors do when they meet Don Richardson and John McCain for the first time?
2. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
3. What is the Eren ceremony?
4. What does Richardson like about the possibility of building on the kidari?
5. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)