|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Through the Ironwood Curtain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Yae get from the tree house to the ground?
(a) Yae swings from vines to a nearby tree and then jumps down.
(b) Yae climbs down a long, vine-fastened ladder.
(c) Yae jumps into a soft pile of leaves.
(d) Yae travels from treetop to treetop, rarely touching the ground.
2. What does "Tuwi asonai makaerin" mean?
(a) To fatten with friendship.
(b) To bow with deep respect to ones mother in law.
(c) To give a child in exchange for goods and services.
(d) To leave a little on one's plate.
3. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
(a) He is bringing them steel axes and a chain saw.
(b) He has been visiting them for seven months and they have been very friendly and warm.
(c) He is carrying a concealed gun so that if there is trouble, he can defend himself.
(d) He is marrying the chief's daughter and will soon be related to the tribe.
4. Yae's young brother Sao is ill. What is his sickness?
(a) Sao has developed early dementia.
(b) Sao has malaria.
(c) Sao has an immune system infection similar to AIDS.
(d) Sao is mentally ill.
5. What do Sawi men smoke in their pipes?
(a) Tobacco leaves.
(b) Ground bones of wild boars.
(c) Dried mushrooms.
(d) Sago leaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
2. What is the Ironwood Curtain?
3. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
4. What do the Tuans give the elders who come out to meet them for the first time?
5. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)