|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Through the Ironwood Curtain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most powerful family relationship in Sawi culture?
(a) A mother and her grandmother.
(b) A man and his mother-in-law.
(c) Brother to brother.
(d) A man and his wife.
2. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
(a) Kauwan is deaf and cannot hear Yae's cry of fear.
(b) Kauwan is Yae's brother and has no power.
(c) Kauwan has been taken away to the jungle by his family.
(d) Kauwan has been promised a wife by one of the village men.
3. How many wives does Yae's cousin Wasi have?
(c) Twenty five.
4. What is the only safe way for a Sawi person to drink water from the river?
(a) The river water must never be drunk. It is full of germs.
(b) To put one's head underwater completely and drink.
(c) To toss each scoop of water in the air and catch it in one's mouth.
(d) To drink it with a straw-like tool made of sago leaves.
5. Why do the elders Kigo, Hatu and Numu volunteer to make contact with the Tuans?
(a) The elders are forced by their tribesmen to do this.
(b) The elders are confused and don't know what they are doing.
(c) These elders have learned some of the Auyu language and think maybe that is what the Tuans speak.
(d) The elders are near death anyway and think they have little to lose
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Sawi warriors bring on their first trading mission to Pirimapun?
2. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
3. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
4. Why must the women, young men and children leave when Yae's skull is cracked open?
5. What is the name of the sea which the Kronkel river empties into?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)