|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Through the Ironwood Curtain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Tuwi asonai makaerin" mean?
(a) To give a child in exchange for goods and services.
(b) To leave a little on one's plate.
(c) To bow with deep respect to ones mother in law.
(d) To fatten with friendship.
2. What is the only safe way for a Sawi person to drink water from the river?
(a) To drink it with a straw-like tool made of sago leaves.
(b) To put one's head underwater completely and drink.
(c) The river water must never be drunk. It is full of germs.
(d) To toss each scoop of water in the air and catch it in one's mouth.
3. How many wives does Yae's cousin Wasi have?
(a) Twenty five.
4. Where is Yae's wife, Kautap, cooking as Yae waits to go to Haenam?
(a) At the stove in her government-supplied trailer.
(b) In the summer kitchen which is a separate building out back.
(c) At the central place inside the treehouse.
(d) In a small boat floating on the river.
5. Who actually completes the murder of Yae?
(a) The dogs of the village.
(b) The women and children of the Haenam village.
(c) His mother-in-law.
(d) He dies of starvation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Sawi people do when the long poles holding up their homes begin to rot?
2. What do Sawi men smoke in their pipes?
3. What do the Sawi warriors bring on their first trading mission to Pirimapun?
4. What might a visitor in a Sawi village be offered as a snack?
5. What is "saravon"?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)