|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Through the Ironwood Curtain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What brings the Sawi villagers to a sudden halt when they hear it for the first time?
(a) The diesel engines of the Dutch military boats.
(b) The song of a lark at break of day.
(c) The large migration of birds which flew overhead.
(d) The explosion of a nuclear bomb.
2. What is "saravon"?
(a) A nutritious stew made of pork, sago and onions.
(b) The relationship between a Sawi man and his mother-in-law.
(c) A milky drink offered to the river gods every morning.
(d) A customary display of force meant to reassure guests that they are safe.
3. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
(a) Because her husband has died.
(b) Because it would show how wise she was.
(c) Because of lice.
(d) Because it customary for a bride to have a shaved head.
4. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
(a) He is bringing them steel axes and a chain saw.
(b) He is marrying the chief's daughter and will soon be related to the tribe.
(c) He is carrying a concealed gun so that if there is trouble, he can defend himself.
(d) He has been visiting them for seven months and they have been very friendly and warm.
5. What kind of flour do the Sawi women use to make bread?
(a) Rice flour.
(b) Bamboo fiber flour.
(c) Sago flour.
(d) Whole wheat flour.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the elders Kigo, Hatu and Numu volunteer to make contact with the Tuans?
2. How many treehouses are there, in total, in the Mauro village?
3. What is the most powerful family relationship in Sawi culture?
4. How does Yae get from the tree house to the ground?
5. Why does Yae's wife, Kautap, throw his stone ax in the river when she hears that her husband has been murdered?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)