|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Through the Ironwood Curtain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Tuwi asonai makaerin" mean?
(a) To fatten with friendship.
(b) To bow with deep respect to ones mother in law.
(c) To leave a little on one's plate.
(d) To give a child in exchange for goods and services.
2. What effect does the tide have upon the black, algae-stained Kronkel river?
(a) The tide kills fish and wildlife as water rushes in and floods the area.
(b) The tide reverses the river's current and pushes it back into the swamp.
(c) The tide sends ocean salmon back to the place they spawned.
(d) The tide sends great cresting waves up the river which create chaos.
3. Why does Yae's wife, Kautap, throw his stone ax in the river when she hears that her husband has been murdered?
(a) She is mad with grief.
(b) She believes Yae's spirit will need the ax in the world of the dead.
(c) She doesn't want anyone else to use it.
(d) She is angry at him for going to Haenam.
4. Why do the elders Kigo, Hatu and Numu volunteer to make contact with the Tuans?
(a) The elders are near death anyway and think they have little to lose
(b) The elders are forced by their tribesmen to do this.
(c) These elders have learned some of the Auyu language and think maybe that is what the Tuans speak.
(d) The elders are confused and don't know what they are doing.
5. What part of the human skeleton do Sawi children play with?
(a) The hip socket.
(b) The entire skeleton.
(c) The polished skull.
(d) The leg bones.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
2. What kind of flour do the Sawi women use to make bread?
3. What is Yae waiting for before he goes to the village of Haenam?
4. Yae's young brother Sao is ill. What is his sickness?
5. Why is Yae going on a journey to the nearby village of Haenam?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)