|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Through the Ironwood Curtain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Ironwood Curtain?
(a) It means passing from the life of easy and plenty, where there is much light, to the darker world of the jungle.
(b) It refers to that curtain which hangs between life and death.
(c) It refers to the border of iron which the Sawi people have erected around their territory.
(d) It means passing into the jungle that is full of trees which are called ironwood because of their dense hard wood.
2. What does "Tuwi asonai makaerin" mean?
(a) To give a child in exchange for goods and services.
(b) To leave a little on one's plate.
(c) To fatten with friendship.
(d) To bow with deep respect to ones mother in law.
3. How does Yae get from the tree house to the ground?
(a) Yae climbs down a long, vine-fastened ladder.
(b) Yae travels from treetop to treetop, rarely touching the ground.
(c) Yae jumps into a soft pile of leaves.
(d) Yae swings from vines to a nearby tree and then jumps down.
4. Where is Yae sitting at the beginning of chapter one?
(a) Yae is sitting in a plane which is on its way to Istanbul.
(b) Yae is sitting by the man-made pool in his backyard.
(c) Yae is sitting in his treehouse, forty feet above the Kronkel river.
(d) Yae is sitting in the hospital where his wife is dying in childbirth.
5. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
(a) His own wife.
(b) A peace child.
(c) A gun and sword.
(d) A thousand dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
2. Yae's young brother Sao is ill. What is his sickness?
3. Do the Sawi warriors bring weapons with them to Pirimapun?
4. Why is Yae going on a journey to the nearby village of Haenam?
5. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)