|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Through the Ironwood Curtain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Yae's wife, Kautap, throw his stone ax in the river when she hears that her husband has been murdered?
(a) She is mad with grief.
(b) She is angry at him for going to Haenam.
(c) She believes Yae's spirit will need the ax in the world of the dead.
(d) She doesn't want anyone else to use it.
2. What is the name of the sea which the Kronkel river empties into?
(a) The Arafura Sea.
(b) The Agrabar Waterway.
(c) The Agramenon Basin.
(d) The Atlantic Ocean.
3. What is Yae waiting for before he goes to the village of Haenam?
(a) For the rains to come and water his crops.
(b) For God to send him inspiration so that he can name his child.
(c) For the village to nominate him chief.
(d) For the tide to turn so that he can journey more easily.
4. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
(a) They are crossing a major threshold necessary to known the ultimate essence of their existence.
(b) It means that they no longer belong to the tribe.
(c) It means they are now an adult.
(d) It means that they will someday go to heaven and be an angel.
5. How does Yae get from the tree house to the ground?
(a) Yae travels from treetop to treetop, rarely touching the ground.
(b) Yae swings from vines to a nearby tree and then jumps down.
(c) Yae jumps into a soft pile of leaves.
(d) Yae climbs down a long, vine-fastened ladder.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the elders Kigo, Hatu and Numu volunteer to make contact with the Tuans?
2. What does "Tuwi asonai makaerin" mean?
3. What effect does the tide have upon the black, algae-stained Kronkel river?
4. What do Sawi men smoke in their pipes?
5. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)