|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Through the Ironwood Curtain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Tuwi asonai makaerin" mean?
(a) To fatten with friendship.
(b) To bow with deep respect to ones mother in law.
(c) To give a child in exchange for goods and services.
(d) To leave a little on one's plate.
2. What is the Eren ceremony?
(a) A ceremony in which a man and woman adopt orphaned children.
(b) A ritual in which women cook pork and sago to celebrate the full moon.
(c) A ritual in which a girl or woman is given the full status of matriarch.
(d) A ritual in which a girl or woman is given the jawbone of a freshly killed victim.
3. What do Sawi men smoke in their pipes?
(a) Dried mushrooms.
(b) Ground bones of wild boars.
(c) Sago leaves.
(d) Tobacco leaves.
4. Yae's young brother Sao is ill. What is his sickness?
(a) Sao has developed early dementia.
(b) Sao is mentally ill.
(c) Sao has malaria.
(d) Sao has an immune system infection similar to AIDS.
5. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
(a) He has been visiting them for seven months and they have been very friendly and warm.
(b) He is marrying the chief's daughter and will soon be related to the tribe.
(c) He is carrying a concealed gun so that if there is trouble, he can defend himself.
(d) He is bringing them steel axes and a chain saw.
Short Answer Questions
1. What flag flies on the deck of the "super canoe"?
2. What do the Sawi warriors bring on their first trading mission to Pirimapun?
3. What do the Sawi people do when the long poles holding up their homes begin to rot?
4. Are the Sawi women involved in head hunting?
5. Why must the women, young men and children leave when Yae's skull is cracked open?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)