|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Through the Ironwood Curtain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the ancient Sawi custom of "waness"?
(a) A bind created by one person eating food which has touched another person's genitals.
(b) A custom of men having more than one wife.
(c) One person mixing blood with another person.
(d) The custom of soaking food in water before eating it.
2. What is the Ironwood Curtain?
(a) It refers to that curtain which hangs between life and death.
(b) It means passing from the life of easy and plenty, where there is much light, to the darker world of the jungle.
(c) It refers to the border of iron which the Sawi people have erected around their territory.
(d) It means passing into the jungle that is full of trees which are called ironwood because of their dense hard wood.
3. How many treehouses are there, in total, in the Mauro village?
(d) Seven hundred and fifty.
4. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
(a) She cries out in jubilation and dances to celebrate her great honor.
(b) She promises that she will send it to Yae's wife as an expression of her sympathy.
(c) She is filled with remorse and grief and refuses to take it.
(d) She takes the bone and grinds it into fine dust and then spreads it atop the river.
5. What do the Tuans give the elders who come out to meet them for the first time?
(a) Necklaces made of brightly colored beads.
(b) A bible, radio and a flashlight.
(c) Pens, paper and stamps.
(d) Matches, razorblades and fishing equipment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brings the Sawi villagers to a sudden halt when they hear it for the first time?
2. Why must the women, young men and children leave when Yae's skull is cracked open?
3. What do Sawi men smoke in their pipes?
4. What is the Eren ceremony?
5. What effect does the tide have upon the black, algae-stained Kronkel river?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)