|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Through the Ironwood Curtain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unique about the kidari along the Kronkel river?
(a) The kidari has many types of exotic fish which visit it.
(b) The kidari is the longest straight stretch of the river.
(c) The kidari is a waterfall which falls some 500 feet.
(d) The kidari has dangerous currents which should be avoided.
2. Why must the women, young men and children leave when Yae's skull is cracked open?
(a) Because it is forbidden for them to hear the sound of a skull breaking open.
(b) Because only the older men are cannibals in the Sawi tribe.
(c) Because they are not allowed to eat brains.
(d) Because they all had to go and swim in the river until nightfall.
3. What might a visitor in a Sawi village be offered as a snack?
(a) Freshly toasted sago grubs.
(b) Lobster, recently cooked and dipped in butter.
(c) Chicken pot pie with carrots and potatoes.
(d) Pudding made from a bear liver.
4. What do the Tuans give the elders who come out to meet them for the first time?
(a) Necklaces made of brightly colored beads.
(b) Matches, razorblades and fishing equipment.
(c) A bible, radio and a flashlight.
(d) Pens, paper and stamps.
5. What do the Sawi warriors bring on their first trading mission to Pirimapun?
(a) Sago flour, beetle grubs, lori parrots and chickens.
(b) Guns, ammunition, spears and dynamite.
(c) Pottery made from dark red riverbank clay.
(d) Elaborately carved masks and feather-adorned costumes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sawi men smoke in their pipes?
2. How does Yae get from the tree house to the ground?
3. Where is Yae's wife, Kautap, cooking as Yae waits to go to Haenam?
4. What is the only safe way for a Sawi person to drink water from the river?
5. What does "Tuwi asonai makaerin" mean?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)