|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Through the Ironwood Curtain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many wives does Yae's cousin Wasi have?
(a) Twenty five.
2. What is "saravon"?
(a) A milky drink offered to the river gods every morning.
(b) A customary display of force meant to reassure guests that they are safe.
(c) The relationship between a Sawi man and his mother-in-law.
(d) A nutritious stew made of pork, sago and onions.
3. Yae's young brother Sao is ill. What is his sickness?
(a) Sao has an immune system infection similar to AIDS.
(b) Sao is mentally ill.
(c) Sao has malaria.
(d) Sao has developed early dementia.
4. What is the only safe way for a Sawi person to drink water from the river?
(a) To toss each scoop of water in the air and catch it in one's mouth.
(b) The river water must never be drunk. It is full of germs.
(c) To put one's head underwater completely and drink.
(d) To drink it with a straw-like tool made of sago leaves.
5. What is Yae waiting for before he goes to the village of Haenam?
(a) For the village to nominate him chief.
(b) For the tide to turn so that he can journey more easily.
(c) For the rains to come and water his crops.
(d) For God to send him inspiration so that he can name his child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Do the Sawi warriors bring weapons with them to Pirimapun?
2. Why do the elders Kigo, Hatu and Numu volunteer to make contact with the Tuans?
3. Why does Yae's wife, Kautap, throw his stone ax in the river when she hears that her husband has been murdered?
4. What do the Sawi warriors do when they meet Don Richardson and John McCain for the first time?
5. What brings the Sawi villagers to a sudden halt when they hear it for the first time?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)