|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22, The Power of Aumamay.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the word "navo" mean in Sawi?
(a) Help me.
2. In 1963 who does the Dutch government begin to give control of the Netherlands New Guinea to?
(a) Through the League of Nations they give control to the United States.
(b) Through the World Court they give control to Australia.
(c) Through the Geneva Accord they give control to the Sawi.
(d) Through the United Nations they transfer control to Indonesian sovereignty.
3. What might a visitor in a Sawi village be offered as a snack?
(a) Lobster, recently cooked and dipped in butter.
(b) Chicken pot pie with carrots and potatoes.
(c) Freshly toasted sago grubs.
(d) Pudding made from a bear liver.
4. What does Richardson like about the possibility of building on the kidari?
(a) It is a good place for the mission plane to land.
(b) It is in the middle of a large village.
(c) It is close to connections for electricity and gas.
(d) It is surrounded by huge stone walls.
5. How does Mavo respond to the protection and kindness which Richardson shows to him?
(a) Mavo leaves the area and travels to the nearest Dutch government outpost.
(b) Mavo gives Richardson one of his own children.
(c) Mavo converts to Christianity that evening.
(d) Mavo promises he will follow the Richardsons anywhere.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most powerful family relationship in Sawi culture?
2. How many treehouses are there, in total, in the Mauro village?
3. What is the first thing Warahi says when he comes out of his coma?
4. What is the ancient Sawi custom of "waness"?
5. Who is the woman, once beautiful, now covered in mud, weeping and wailing in grief?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)