|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Through the Ironwood Curtain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Ironwood Curtain?
(a) It means passing from the life of easy and plenty, where there is much light, to the darker world of the jungle.
(b) It means passing into the jungle that is full of trees which are called ironwood because of their dense hard wood.
(c) It refers to that curtain which hangs between life and death.
(d) It refers to the border of iron which the Sawi people have erected around their territory.
2. Are the Sawi women involved in head hunting?
(a) Yes, they are very good with spears and often had better aim than their husbands.
(b) Not directly, but they encourage murder and would participate in clubbing to death wounded victims.
(c) Yes, they often lead the charge to the offending village.
(d) The Sawi women are involved only if they are married.
3. What kind of flour do the Sawi women use to make bread?
(a) Sago flour.
(b) Rice flour.
(c) Bamboo fiber flour.
(d) Whole wheat flour.
4. What is "saravon"?
(a) A nutritious stew made of pork, sago and onions.
(b) The relationship between a Sawi man and his mother-in-law.
(c) A customary display of force meant to reassure guests that they are safe.
(d) A milky drink offered to the river gods every morning.
5. What is the most powerful family relationship in Sawi culture?
(a) A mother and her grandmother.
(b) Brother to brother.
(c) A man and his wife.
(d) A man and his mother-in-law.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only safe way for a Sawi person to drink water from the river?
2. What is Yae waiting for before he goes to the village of Haenam?
3. What do the Sawi warriors do when they meet Don Richardson and John McCain for the first time?
4. How many wives does Yae's cousin Wasi have?
5. What is the ancient Sawi custom of "waness"?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)