|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Tuan Eat Brains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why must the women, young men and children leave when Yae's skull is cracked open?
(a) Because they all had to go and swim in the river until nightfall.
(b) Because they are not allowed to eat brains.
(c) Because it is forbidden for them to hear the sound of a skull breaking open.
(d) Because only the older men are cannibals in the Sawi tribe.
2. What does Don Richardson interpret the tumult of Sawi activity as?
(a) A dangerous cannibalistic ritual.
(b) A chance to learn the Sawi language.
(c) A baptism into a new and strange world.
(d) The beginning of a violent war between Sawi and Tuan.
3. What is the most powerful family relationship in Sawi culture?
(a) A man and his mother-in-law.
(b) A mother and her grandmother.
(c) Brother to brother.
(d) A man and his wife.
4. What does "Tuwi asonai makaerin" mean?
(a) To leave a little on one's plate.
(b) To bow with deep respect to ones mother in law.
(c) To give a child in exchange for goods and services.
(d) To fatten with friendship.
5. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
(a) She cries out in jubilation and dances to celebrate her great honor.
(b) She is filled with remorse and grief and refuses to take it.
(c) She takes the bone and grinds it into fine dust and then spreads it atop the river.
(d) She promises that she will send it to Yae's wife as an expression of her sympathy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the word that Sawi greet one another with?
2. Who actually completes the murder of Yae?
3. What is Carol Richardson feeling as she steps onto the bank of her new home?
4. Why do the young boys spread the news that the Richardson family is eating brains?
5. What is the Eren ceremony?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)