|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Tuan Eat Brains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Don Richardson's first order of business with the Sawi tribe?
(a) To learn the Sawi language.
(b) To cure the sick and heal the lame.
(c) To establish trading alliances with neighboring tribes.
(d) To convert the children to Christianity.
2. What machine does the Richardson family have that is very mysterious to the Sawi people?
(a) A food processor.
(b) A low flying helicopter.
(c) A gas-powered washing machine.
(d) A blender.
3. What does "Tuwi asonai makaerin" mean?
(a) To bow with deep respect to ones mother in law.
(b) To fatten with friendship.
(c) To give a child in exchange for goods and services.
(d) To leave a little on one's plate.
4. What does Don Richardson do that frightens the Sawi people away from his house?
(a) He shoots a shot gun in their direction.
(b) He lights a kerosene lamp in the darkness.
(c) He throws a handful of firecrackers out of the front door.
(d) He eats brains.
5. What is the Eren ceremony?
(a) A ritual in which women cook pork and sago to celebrate the full moon.
(b) A ceremony in which a man and woman adopt orphaned children.
(c) A ritual in which a girl or woman is given the full status of matriarch.
(d) A ritual in which a girl or woman is given the jawbone of a freshly killed victim.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
2. What is Carol Richardson feeling as she steps onto the bank of her new home?
3. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
4. What is the only safe way for a Sawi person to drink water from the river?
5. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)