|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Tuan Eat Brains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
(a) He is marrying the chief's daughter and will soon be related to the tribe.
(b) He is bringing them steel axes and a chain saw.
(c) He has been visiting them for seven months and they have been very friendly and warm.
(d) He is carrying a concealed gun so that if there is trouble, he can defend himself.
2. Why are the Kayagar men upset with Richardson when he announces his intention to build a home in Sawi territory?
(a) The village of Amyam is desperate to have a Tuan live with them.
(b) The Kayagar village of Amyam is better at building houses than the Sawi.
(c) The Kayagar people don't want to paddle all the way down the river.
(d) The Kayagar men are afraid of the Sawi and think that Richardson will be killed.
3. What is Don Richardson feeling as he steps onto the bank of the Kronkel and meets those who are waiting for them?
(a) He is angry at his wife for being so scared.
(b) He is psyching himself up for the sermon he is going to give.
(c) He is frightened that he may have misread the situation.
(d) He is feeling triumphant at having made the voyage.
4. What does the Richardson family sleep underneath?
(a) A mosquito net.
(b) The open sky full of stars.
(c) A wooden box.
(d) A crucifix.
5. What is "saravon"?
(a) A nutritious stew made of pork, sago and onions.
(b) A customary display of force meant to reassure guests that they are safe.
(c) A milky drink offered to the river gods every morning.
(d) The relationship between a Sawi man and his mother-in-law.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the high pitched command signal should happen?
2. What does the Sawi expression "hahap kaman" mean?
3. What is Don Richardson's first order of business with the Sawi tribe?
4. Why must the women, young men and children leave when Yae's skull is cracked open?
5. Are the Sawi women involved in head hunting?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)