|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Tuan Eat Brains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Eren ceremony?
(a) A ritual in which a girl or woman is given the full status of matriarch.
(b) A ritual in which women cook pork and sago to celebrate the full moon.
(c) A ritual in which a girl or woman is given the jawbone of a freshly killed victim.
(d) A ceremony in which a man and woman adopt orphaned children.
2. What is the only safe way for a Sawi person to drink water from the river?
(a) To drink it with a straw-like tool made of sago leaves.
(b) The river water must never be drunk. It is full of germs.
(c) To toss each scoop of water in the air and catch it in one's mouth.
(d) To put one's head underwater completely and drink.
3. Why must the women, young men and children leave when Yae's skull is cracked open?
(a) Because they are not allowed to eat brains.
(b) Because they all had to go and swim in the river until nightfall.
(c) Because it is forbidden for them to hear the sound of a skull breaking open.
(d) Because only the older men are cannibals in the Sawi tribe.
4. What does the Richardson family sleep underneath?
(a) The open sky full of stars.
(b) A crucifix.
(c) A wooden box.
(d) A mosquito net.
5. What is the word that Sawi greet one another with?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Kayagar men upset with Richardson when he announces his intention to build a home in Sawi territory?
2. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
3. What does Richardson feel when he first shakes hands with a Sawi elder?
4. What do Sawi men smoke in their pipes?
5. Why does Yae's wife, Kautap, throw his stone ax in the river when she hears that her husband has been murdered?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)