|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Tuan Eat Brains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Sawi expression "hahap kaman" mean?
(a) All is lost and there is no hope left.
(b) The warriors are about to attack.
(c) The group is full of ecstatic joy.
(d) Dinner is ready.
2. What is the Eren ceremony?
(a) A ritual in which a girl or woman is given the full status of matriarch.
(b) A ritual in which a girl or woman is given the jawbone of a freshly killed victim.
(c) A ceremony in which a man and woman adopt orphaned children.
(d) A ritual in which women cook pork and sago to celebrate the full moon.
3. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
(a) Kauwan is Yae's brother and has no power.
(b) Kauwan has been promised a wife by one of the village men.
(c) Kauwan has been taken away to the jungle by his family.
(d) Kauwan is deaf and cannot hear Yae's cry of fear.
4. Why are the Kayagar men upset with Richardson when he announces his intention to build a home in Sawi territory?
(a) The Kayagar people don't want to paddle all the way down the river.
(b) The Kayagar village of Amyam is better at building houses than the Sawi.
(c) The Kayagar men are afraid of the Sawi and think that Richardson will be killed.
(d) The village of Amyam is desperate to have a Tuan live with them.
5. What does Richardson feel when he first shakes hands with a Sawi elder?
(a) That they are equally human...flesh and blood...men.
(b) That these people are not to be trusted...ever...
(c) That the Sawi are very short but quite strong.
(d) That the Sawi will never understand the way of the modern world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kauwan say that Yae should have given him in order to truly win his protection?
2. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
3. What is Carol Richardson feeling as she steps onto the bank of her new home?
4. Why is Hadi so important to Don Richardson?
5. Are the Sawi women involved in head hunting?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)