|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Tuan Eat Brains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Tuwi asonai makaerin" mean?
(a) To leave a little on one's plate.
(b) To fatten with friendship.
(c) To bow with deep respect to ones mother in law.
(d) To give a child in exchange for goods and services.
2. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
(a) They are crossing a major threshold necessary to known the ultimate essence of their existence.
(b) It means they are now an adult.
(c) It means that they will someday go to heaven and be an angel.
(d) It means that they no longer belong to the tribe.
3. What is "saravon"?
(a) A customary display of force meant to reassure guests that they are safe.
(b) A milky drink offered to the river gods every morning.
(c) The relationship between a Sawi man and his mother-in-law.
(d) A nutritious stew made of pork, sago and onions.
4. What is the Eren ceremony?
(a) A ritual in which a girl or woman is given the full status of matriarch.
(b) A ceremony in which a man and woman adopt orphaned children.
(c) A ritual in which a girl or woman is given the jawbone of a freshly killed victim.
(d) A ritual in which women cook pork and sago to celebrate the full moon.
5. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
(a) Kauwan has been taken away to the jungle by his family.
(b) Kauwan is Yae's brother and has no power.
(c) Kauwan is deaf and cannot hear Yae's cry of fear.
(d) Kauwan has been promised a wife by one of the village men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
2. What does the high pitched command signal should happen?
3. What is the word that Sawi greet one another with?
4. What does Don Richardson interpret the tumult of Sawi activity as?
5. What does Don Richardson do that frightens the Sawi people away from his house?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)