|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Tuan Eat Brains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Are the Sawi women involved in head hunting?
(a) Yes, they often lead the charge to the offending village.
(b) The Sawi women are involved only if they are married.
(c) Not directly, but they encourage murder and would participate in clubbing to death wounded victims.
(d) Yes, they are very good with spears and often had better aim than their husbands.
2. Why does Yae's wife, Kautap, throw his stone ax in the river when she hears that her husband has been murdered?
(a) She is angry at him for going to Haenam.
(b) She is mad with grief.
(c) She believes Yae's spirit will need the ax in the world of the dead.
(d) She doesn't want anyone else to use it.
3. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
(a) He is bringing them steel axes and a chain saw.
(b) He is marrying the chief's daughter and will soon be related to the tribe.
(c) He is carrying a concealed gun so that if there is trouble, he can defend himself.
(d) He has been visiting them for seven months and they have been very friendly and warm.
4. Who actually completes the murder of Yae?
(a) The women and children of the Haenam village.
(b) His mother-in-law.
(c) He dies of starvation.
(d) The dogs of the village.
5. What is the only safe way for a Sawi person to drink water from the river?
(a) To put one's head underwater completely and drink.
(b) To toss each scoop of water in the air and catch it in one's mouth.
(c) The river water must never be drunk. It is full of germs.
(d) To drink it with a straw-like tool made of sago leaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
2. What does the Richardson family sleep underneath?
3. What is Carol Richardson feeling as she steps onto the bank of her new home?
4. What is the ancient Sawi custom of "waness"?
5. What does "Tuwi asonai makaerin" mean?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)