|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Tuan Eat Brains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Tuwi asonai makaerin" mean?
(a) To give a child in exchange for goods and services.
(b) To bow with deep respect to ones mother in law.
(c) To fatten with friendship.
(d) To leave a little on one's plate.
2. What is the only safe way for a Sawi person to drink water from the river?
(a) To toss each scoop of water in the air and catch it in one's mouth.
(b) To drink it with a straw-like tool made of sago leaves.
(c) To put one's head underwater completely and drink.
(d) The river water must never be drunk. It is full of germs.
3. Why must the women, young men and children leave when Yae's skull is cracked open?
(a) Because they are not allowed to eat brains.
(b) Because only the older men are cannibals in the Sawi tribe.
(c) Because it is forbidden for them to hear the sound of a skull breaking open.
(d) Because they all had to go and swim in the river until nightfall.
4. Are the Sawi women involved in head hunting?
(a) Yes, they often lead the charge to the offending village.
(b) Not directly, but they encourage murder and would participate in clubbing to death wounded victims.
(c) Yes, they are very good with spears and often had better aim than their husbands.
(d) The Sawi women are involved only if they are married.
5. What do Sawi people do if twins are born?
(a) They name them the same name, as they came at the same time.
(b) They kill the second twin, believing it to be an evil spirit.
(c) The second twin is ordained to be a tribal medicine man.
(d) They celebrate for many days, for they think it is very special.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
2. What life forms must the Richardson family learn to live with inside their new home?
3. What is "saravon"?
4. What does the Sawi expression "hahap kaman" mean?
5. Why is Hadi so important to Don Richardson?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)