|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Tuan Eat Brains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Richardson family sleep underneath?
(a) A wooden box.
(b) A mosquito net.
(c) The open sky full of stars.
(d) A crucifix.
2. What does Don Richardson do that frightens the Sawi people away from his house?
(a) He throws a handful of firecrackers out of the front door.
(b) He lights a kerosene lamp in the darkness.
(c) He eats brains.
(d) He shoots a shot gun in their direction.
3. What do Sawi people do if twins are born?
(a) They celebrate for many days, for they think it is very special.
(b) They kill the second twin, believing it to be an evil spirit.
(c) They name them the same name, as they came at the same time.
(d) The second twin is ordained to be a tribal medicine man.
4. What is "saravon"?
(a) A milky drink offered to the river gods every morning.
(b) The relationship between a Sawi man and his mother-in-law.
(c) A nutritious stew made of pork, sago and onions.
(d) A customary display of force meant to reassure guests that they are safe.
5. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
(a) He is carrying a concealed gun so that if there is trouble, he can defend himself.
(b) He is bringing them steel axes and a chain saw.
(c) He is marrying the chief's daughter and will soon be related to the tribe.
(d) He has been visiting them for seven months and they have been very friendly and warm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the ancient Sawi custom of "waness"?
2. Why does Yae's wife, Kautap, throw his stone ax in the river when she hears that her husband has been murdered?
3. What is Don Richardson feeling as he steps onto the bank of the Kronkel and meets those who are waiting for them?
4. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
5. What does Richardson feel when he first shakes hands with a Sawi elder?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)