|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Tuan Eat Brains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What medicine do the Richardsons have which saves the lives of Mavu, Nair and Paha?
2. What might a visitor in a Sawi village be offered as a snack?
(a) Chicken pot pie with carrots and potatoes.
(b) Lobster, recently cooked and dipped in butter.
(c) Pudding made from a bear liver.
(d) Freshly toasted sago grubs.
3. What is "saravon"?
(a) The relationship between a Sawi man and his mother-in-law.
(b) A milky drink offered to the river gods every morning.
(c) A nutritious stew made of pork, sago and onions.
(d) A customary display of force meant to reassure guests that they are safe.
4. Why is Hadi so important to Don Richardson?
(a) He is the first Sawi that Richardson has contact with and he speaks several tribal languages.
(b) Hadi is the only Sawi who can read.
(c) Richardson feels that somehow Hadi is related to him.
(d) Hadi is blind and Richardson feels very sorry for him.
5. Why are the Kayagar men upset with Richardson when he announces his intention to build a home in Sawi territory?
(a) The Kayagar people don't want to paddle all the way down the river.
(b) The Kayagar village of Amyam is better at building houses than the Sawi.
(c) The village of Amyam is desperate to have a Tuan live with them.
(d) The Kayagar men are afraid of the Sawi and think that Richardson will be killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
2. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
3. Why must the women, young men and children leave when Yae's skull is cracked open?
4. What does the Sawi expression "hahap kaman" mean?
5. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)