|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Tuan Eat Brains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Sawi expression "hahap kaman" mean?
(a) The group is full of ecstatic joy.
(b) All is lost and there is no hope left.
(c) The warriors are about to attack.
(d) Dinner is ready.
2. What is the only safe way for a Sawi person to drink water from the river?
(a) To put one's head underwater completely and drink.
(b) The river water must never be drunk. It is full of germs.
(c) To drink it with a straw-like tool made of sago leaves.
(d) To toss each scoop of water in the air and catch it in one's mouth.
3. Why does Yae's wife, Kautap, throw his stone ax in the river when she hears that her husband has been murdered?
(a) She doesn't want anyone else to use it.
(b) She believes Yae's spirit will need the ax in the world of the dead.
(c) She is mad with grief.
(d) She is angry at him for going to Haenam.
4. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
(a) He is bringing them steel axes and a chain saw.
(b) He is carrying a concealed gun so that if there is trouble, he can defend himself.
(c) He has been visiting them for seven months and they have been very friendly and warm.
(d) He is marrying the chief's daughter and will soon be related to the tribe.
5. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
(a) They are crossing a major threshold necessary to known the ultimate essence of their existence.
(b) It means that they will someday go to heaven and be an angel.
(c) It means they are now an adult.
(d) It means that they no longer belong to the tribe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don Richardson do that frightens the Sawi people away from his house?
2. What machine does the Richardson family have that is very mysterious to the Sawi people?
3. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
4. What medicine do the Richardsons have which saves the lives of Mavu, Nair and Paha?
5. Why is Hadi so important to Don Richardson?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)