|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Tuan Eat Brains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Eren ceremony?
(a) A ritual in which a girl or woman is given the jawbone of a freshly killed victim.
(b) A ritual in which women cook pork and sago to celebrate the full moon.
(c) A ceremony in which a man and woman adopt orphaned children.
(d) A ritual in which a girl or woman is given the full status of matriarch.
2. What does Don Richardson do that frightens the Sawi people away from his house?
(a) He throws a handful of firecrackers out of the front door.
(b) He eats brains.
(c) He lights a kerosene lamp in the darkness.
(d) He shoots a shot gun in their direction.
3. Why are the Kayagar men upset with Richardson when he announces his intention to build a home in Sawi territory?
(a) The Kayagar village of Amyam is better at building houses than the Sawi.
(b) The Kayagar men are afraid of the Sawi and think that Richardson will be killed.
(c) The village of Amyam is desperate to have a Tuan live with them.
(d) The Kayagar people don't want to paddle all the way down the river.
4. What do Sawi people do if twins are born?
(a) The second twin is ordained to be a tribal medicine man.
(b) They name them the same name, as they came at the same time.
(c) They celebrate for many days, for they think it is very special.
(d) They kill the second twin, believing it to be an evil spirit.
5. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
(a) She cries out in jubilation and dances to celebrate her great honor.
(b) She is filled with remorse and grief and refuses to take it.
(c) She promises that she will send it to Yae's wife as an expression of her sympathy.
(d) She takes the bone and grinds it into fine dust and then spreads it atop the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only safe way for a Sawi person to drink water from the river?
2. What might a visitor in a Sawi village be offered as a snack?
3. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
4. When Yae arrives at the Haenam village at the beginning of Chapter 2, why is he so confident?
5. Who actually completes the murder of Yae?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)