|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14, The Tuan Eat Brains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kauwan refuse to help Yae escape his terrible fate?
(a) Kauwan is Yae's brother and has no power.
(b) Kauwan has been taken away to the jungle by his family.
(c) Kauwan has been promised a wife by one of the village men.
(d) Kauwan is deaf and cannot hear Yae's cry of fear.
2. What do Sawi use to build the floors of their homes?
(a) Split palm tree bark.
(d) Clay from the riverbank.
3. Why does a Sawi wife shave her head?
(a) Because her husband has died.
(b) Because it would show how wise she was.
(c) Because it customary for a bride to have a shaved head.
(d) Because of lice.
4. Why must the women, young men and children leave when Yae's skull is cracked open?
(a) Because they are not allowed to eat brains.
(b) Because only the older men are cannibals in the Sawi tribe.
(c) Because they all had to go and swim in the river until nightfall.
(d) Because it is forbidden for them to hear the sound of a skull breaking open.
5. What is the Eren ceremony?
(a) A ritual in which women cook pork and sago to celebrate the full moon.
(b) A ritual in which a girl or woman is given the jawbone of a freshly killed victim.
(c) A ritual in which a girl or woman is given the full status of matriarch.
(d) A ceremony in which a man and woman adopt orphaned children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman Anai do when she hears that Yae's jawbone will be given to her?
2. Why are the Kayagar men upset with Richardson when he announces his intention to build a home in Sawi territory?
3. What do Sawi men smoke in their pipes?
4. What does eating flesh for the first time mean to Sawi children?
5. What life forms must the Richardson family learn to live with inside their new home?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)