|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What direction does Pax run after Gray dies?
2. In Chapter 25, where is Runt sleekping?
3. In Chapter 30, what are a large group of vultures circling?
4. In Chapter 26, how long does a soldier say that the area where Peter is has been evacuated?
5. In Chapter 21, from where does Pax watch Runt all night and into the next day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Peter believe that Vola would be a good teacher?
2. How is Gray doing at the beginning of Chapter 17?
3. What happens to Pax when Runt runs into the field in Chapter 19?
4. What does Peter see in Chapter 30?
5. What are the three conditions that Peter asked Vola to follow in return for him waiting until morning to leave?
6. What is good about the location where Pax, Bristle, and Runt are staying in Chapter 25?
7. In Chapter 20, what has Peter done that morning?
8. What does Peter see when he emerges from the woods in Chapter 28?
9. How does Peter get up a ten-foot sheer rock wall in Chapter 28?
10. Why does a soldier let Peter into the evacuated area?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vola is angered by humans who start wars, but do not tell the truth about the effects war has on people and on land. What experiences has Vola had in war? What effects has she had to endure because of war? How have those experiences shaped the way she describes war and its effects to Peter? What does Peter learn about war? How does he come to view war and how does that affect the choices he makes?
Essay Topic 2
Peter carries his mother’s bracelet with him when he leaves his grandfather’s house. What does the bracelet look like? Why does Peter carry it with him? What does it symbolize to Peter, and what did it symbolize for his mother?
Essay Topic 3
The plastic toy soldier is a symbol in the novel. What does the toy soldier symbolize in relation to Peter and Pax? What does it symbolize about Peter’s father? Why is the toy soldier important to the plot?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)