|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times has Vola told Peter that they should always tell the truth?
2. How are Peter and Vola driving into town in Chapter 24?
3. What direction does Pax run after Gray dies?
4. What color tin does Peter find in the niche behind the Sinbad book?
5. In Chapter 19, how many muffins had Peter eaten for breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pax see in Chapter 19 when he returns to the area where Gray's body rests?
2. What has Peter seen as he traveled toward the evacuated area?
3. Why does Peter believe that Vola would be a good teacher?
4. How does Vola help Peter understand the marionettes and how to work them?
5. How is Peter feeling and why at the beginning of Chapter 16?
6. What does Peter see when he emerges from the woods in Chapter 28?
7. How long after his mother's death did it take Peter to have a day where he did not think of her all day?
8. Why is Pax relieved at the beginning of Chapter 29 when he sees Bristle and Runt outside?
9. What does Peter remember in Chapter 20 that Pax did that might have saved his life?
10. Why does Peter agree to spend the night before leaving in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Peter and Pax grow and mature in the novel. How would you describe the maturity level of each of them at the beginning of the novel? How do they mature and come of age through events in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The plastic toy soldier is a symbol in the novel. What does the toy soldier symbolize in relation to Peter and Pax? What does it symbolize about Peter’s father? Why is the toy soldier important to the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Peter experiences feelings of guilt and anger when he thinks about his mother and her death. Why is Peter experiencing feelings of both built and anger when he thinks about his mother and her death? What was their relationship like? How did her death affect Peter and the young man he is becoming?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)