|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many foxes are in the meadow when Gray and Pax return in Chapter 9?
2. What does the fox realize his boy is doing at the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. How old was Peter when he went to a therapist?
4. What is the kid wearing that Peter watches during ball practice in Chapter 6?
5. In Chapter 10, where has Peter ripped skin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Gray and Pax meet the challenger fox?
2. How does Vola treat Peter's injury?
3. How does Bristle catch a rat?
4. What does the woman look like that Peter sees when he wakes in Chapter 8?
5. Why was it not safe for Pax to be near the hillside and meadow with the other foxes in Chapter 7?
6. What does Peter ask Vola to help him do in Chapter 10?
7. How had Peter handled fracturing his thumb?
8. Why does Peter have to leave Pax at the beginning of the novel?
9. Why did Bristle and Runt's parents go to a humans' farm?
10. What are the first two mistakes that Peter makes in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vola told Peter how she killed a soldier in the war. How did Vola feel about killing before and after killing that particular soldier? Why did she feel that she needed to do penance for the man’s death? How did she do penance?
Essay Topic 2
Gray is kind to Pax. What does Gray teach Pax? What type of relationship do they have? How does their relationship change as they travel together, and how does it affect Pax and the way he is maturing?
Essay Topic 3
The plastic toy soldier is a symbol in the novel. What does the toy soldier symbolize in relation to Peter and Pax? What does it symbolize about Peter’s father? Why is the toy soldier important to the plot?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)