|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, how long does the moon light Peter's way?
2. In which of his mother's litters was Runt born?
3. In Chapter 10, where does Peter stop?
4. How did Runt and Bristle's parents die?
5. Where does Peter sleep at the end of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the first two mistakes that Peter makes in Chapter 4?
2. Why did Bristle and Runt's parents go to a humans' farm?
3. How does Runt help Pax in Chapter 13?
4. What does Gray tell Bristle, Runt, and his mate that he will do in Chapter 9?
5. How does Bristle catch a rat?
6. What was Pax's early life like?
7. What does Runt look like?
8. What does Peter look like when he sees his reflection in a store window?
9. How does Pax feel at the beginning of Chapter 13?
10. How had Peter handled fracturing his thumb?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vola is angered by humans who start wars, but do not tell the truth about the effects war has on people and on land. What experiences has Vola had in war? What effects has she had to endure because of war? How have those experiences shaped the way she describes war and its effects to Peter? What does Peter learn about war? How does he come to view war and how does that affect the choices he makes?
Essay Topic 2
Peter has dealt with coyotes before he scares them away at the end of the novel. What does Peter think about when he hears the sounds of coyotes during his journey? What do coyotes have to do with Peter and his mother? How does Peter handle the situation with the coyotes that are threatening Pax and Bristle? In what way is that incident a chance for Peter to redeem himself?
Essay Topic 3
Gray is kind to Pax. What does Gray teach Pax? What type of relationship do they have? How does their relationship change as they travel together, and how does it affect Pax and the way he is maturing?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)