|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will mail letters for Vola?
2. What type of trees grow on Mason's Ridge?
3. In which of his mother's litters was Runt born?
4. In Chapter 5, how long does Bristle say that Pax can stay with them?
5. What type of bird does Pax see in Chapter 3 as he waits by the road for Peter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the fox sense that the car is slowing in Chapter 1?
2. How does Bristle catch a rat?
3. What does Runt look like?
4. Why does Peter watch a kid on the ball field who is wearing a red t-shirt?
5. What sense of the war does Pax get from the crows?
6. How does Runt help Pax in Chapter 13?
7. What does Pax see when he looks down into the meadow in Chapter 9?
8. In Chapter 7, how does Pax feel after he moves back to the road to wait for his humans?
9. What was Pax's early life like?
10. Why does Peter have to leave Pax at the beginning of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between Pax and Bristle changes in the novel. What is their relationship like when they first meet? How does their relationship change? Why does it change?
Essay Topic 2
Vola wants nothing to do with Peter when she finds him in her barn. How would you describe the relationship between Vola and Peter when they first meet? How does Peter convince her to help him? How does their time together change what they think of one another? How does relationship grow? How would you describe their relationship by the time they part?
Essay Topic 3
Most of the time Peter has hope that Pax is surviving. Why does Peter vacillate between hope and despair when he thinks about Pax? In what ways does Peter merge with Pax? What can he sense about Pax? How does that cause him to hope? Why is Peter able to have hope that Pax is surviving?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)