|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pavlo do after weapons drill that nobody else does?
2. How in the barracks during the conversation about Pavlo joining infantry did Pavlo claim his mother would react?
3. After Parker and Kress leave the furnace room, what does Pierce make Pavlo do?
4. Who is the first person to enter the barracks that is not a trainee in Act 1, Part 4?
5. What does Pierce first drunkenly say to Pavlo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Theorize on the effect that the two stabbings have on Pavlo in Act 2, Part 3.
2. Identify two juxtaposed aspects to Pavlo's character, and explain how they affect his identity.
3. Pavlo seems to respond to events in many different ways. Explain how his response to Pierce, when Pierce urges him to fight back, can be viewed as a highly perceptive and telling one for the audience about Pavlo's life views.
4. How does Pavlo's egocentrism and immaturity play a part in misleading him from the identity he so strongly desires?
5. Choose and explore one character trait of Pavlo that is revealed in the beginning of this play.
6. What may be the significance or playwright's purpose for Pavlo realizing he's dead so far along into the play and after the climax?
7. How does the playwright use both the inconsistent plot-line and paradoxical aspects of Pavlo's character traits to create an introduction that makes the audience want to watch more?
8. Although Kress seems to be convinced that Pavlo is stupid, is this an accurate assumption? Why or why not?
9. This is a play that bases its dramatizations of the main character's life by employing a "collage effect," scenes seemingly unrelated and presented in a somewhat random fashion but creating an artistic overall understanding of the plot. Explain how the scenes of this act add different perspectives to Pavlo's "collage effect."
10. In what ways do the scenes where Pavlo displays helplessness give insight into the reasons for Pavlo's drive to become a better or "good" soldier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As new characters are introduced, we begin to realize that many of their names may not have been arbitrarily assigned. That is to say that their names have metaphorical meaning in relation to the plot and setting itself. Write an essay exploring the possible meanings behind 3 or more characters' names in the play and how those names fit the characters' words and/or actions. Conclude by crediting these metaphors to a deeper understanding of Rabe's intention in naming these characters.
Essay Topic 2
Identify, connect, and examine all elements of foreshadowing you can find in this play, not excluding these subjects: A) Pavlo's death (2x's) B) Pavlo's failure with women C) Pavlo's helplessness. Combine all moments of foreshadowing and use them to make your own opinions about Rabe's style and use of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
In the early scenes Ardell is seen to be something of a guide, showing Pavlo both the way into death and the way into himself, but in one scene he becomes a manifestation or externalization of Pavlo's inner drive to be a good soldier. This is illustrated by the way he drills Pavlo on the use of his weapon, and in later scenes, he performs similar instructional functions in similar circumstances. Identify and explain other moments during which Ardell becomes an externalization of Pavlo's inner life.
This section contains 3,333 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)