Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who addresses the trainees when called to formation in Act 1, Part 2?
2. What does Ardell say to Pavlo in regards to the person Pavlo sees in the mirror?
3. What is the second question to Pavlo from Ardell?
4. Upon finding Pavlo in the state he is in, what does Hinkle do upon returning to the game?
5. What is the general response of the trainees to Hinkle's discovery about Pavlo's being in bed for too long?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are the playwright's use of the "collage effect" of creation especially poignant in this act?
2. Explore the ways in which Pavlo is made to feel helpless in this act. Theorize on the writer's purpose for creating these moments.
3. In the final scene, how does Wall live up to the metaphorical meaning of his name?
4. How does the scene in which Pavlo grabs the grenade display yet another ironic moment in his seemingly life-long struggle for identity? What character trait seems to remain intact to the very end of his life, possibly leading to his ultimate demise?
5. Tower mentions the North Star more than a few times throughout the play, and finally in Act 2, Part 4. Up until this point, what are the possible meanings of these references to the North Star?
6. How does Pavlo's answer Kress regarding stealing and how does this provide an insight into Pavlo's egocentric nature?
7. What can the audience understand about Pavlo's mentality in Act 2, Part 4 when Pavlo shouts back to Ardell after being wounded that they can "hurt him as many times as they want?"
8. How is this scene, as well as Ardell's character, a seminaly metaphoric catalyst, displaying Pavlo's transformations and inner desires?
9. Consider the graphic scenes presented in this part, and think about the word "mutilation." Employ this word to describe the deeper meanings of what is happening in these scenes. How are things, people, and ideas mutilated throughout this scene?
10. Pavlo believes that good soldiers are never helpless in any situation. How does this belief play out and dramatize itself in his experience with the Corporal and following scenes?
Essay Topic 1
Identify, connect, and examine all elements of foreshadowing you can find in this play, not excluding these subjects: A) Pavlo's death (2x's) B) Pavlo's failure with women C) Pavlo's helplessness. Combine all moments of foreshadowing and use them to make your own opinions about Rabe's style and use of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Rabe's anti-war message comes through loud and clear in several ways in the final scenes of the play. Find at least 5 moments during which Rabe sends his message and explain how each moment is employed to be clear and strong. Conclude by explaining what you believe might be the play's thematic warning about war in general and what it ultimately offers to humanity.
Essay Topic 3
Pavlo's wish to become "bone" is repeated twice in this short play. Theorize on the metaphorical implications of these two moments, comparing the similarities and differences between them and finally giving explanation as to the importance of these two situations occurring for Pavlo's character.
This section contains 2,116 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)