Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who addresses the trainees when called to formation in Act 1, Part 2?
2. What does Ardell say to Pavlo in regards to the person Pavlo sees in the mirror?
3. What is the second question to Pavlo from Ardell?
4. Upon finding Pavlo in the state he is in, what does Hinkle do upon returning to the game?
5. What is the general response of the trainees to Hinkle's discovery about Pavlo's being in bed for too long?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are the playwright's use of the "collage effect" of creation especially poignant in this act?
2. Explore the ways in which Pavlo is made to feel helpless in this act. Theorize on the writer's purpose for creating these moments.
3. In the final scene, how does Wall live up to the metaphorical meaning of his name?
4. How does the scene in which Pavlo grabs the grenade display yet another ironic moment in his seemingly life-long struggle for identity? What character trait seems to remain intact to the very end of his life, possibly leading to his ultimate demise?
5. Tower mentions the North Star more than a few times throughout the play, and finally in Act 2, Part 4. Up until this point, what are the possible meanings of these references to the North Star?
6. How does Pavlo's answer Kress regarding stealing and how does this provide an insight into Pavlo's egocentric nature?
7. What can the audience understand about Pavlo's mentality in Act 2, Part 4 when Pavlo shouts back to Ardell after being wounded that they can "hurt him as many times as they want?"
8. How is this scene, as well as Ardell's character, a seminaly metaphoric catalyst, displaying Pavlo's transformations and inner desires?
9. Consider the graphic scenes presented in this part, and think about the word "mutilation." Employ this word to describe the deeper meanings of what is happening in these scenes. How are things, people, and ideas mutilated throughout this scene?
10. Pavlo believes that good soldiers are never helpless in any situation. How does this belief play out and dramatize itself in his experience with the Corporal and following scenes?
Essay Topic 1
As new characters are introduced, we begin to realize that many of their names may not have been arbitrarily assigned. That is to say that their names have metaphorical meaning in relation to the plot and setting itself. Write an essay exploring the possible meanings behind 3 or more characters' names in the play and how those names fit the characters' words and/or actions. Conclude by crediting these metaphors to a deeper understanding of Rabe's intention in naming these characters.
Essay Topic 2
We see how both aspects to Pavlo's character, his innocence and his fear of helplessness, lead him to a re-definition of identity. Explain this is a thematically relevant aspect to his story using examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
How does the non-existence of the "wounded twice rule" function as a metaphor for the nature of Pavlo's delusional belief system? Use examples to support your answer, specifically to back up the nature of Pavlo's delusional belief system.
This section contains 2,114 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)