|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Paula's brain scans show?
2. Who does Allende's mother befriend while on retreat?
3. What job did Allende take when she returned to Caracas?
4. Which of the following is not one of the commodities in short supply in Chile in the 1970s?
5. Which of the following does Allende not witness in Caracas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony of Allende's daughter-in-law giving birth to her first child in the room where Paula will be brought to live out the balance of her life. Explain why this is an example of the circle of life and why Allende is particularly in tune with elements of nature and spirit.
Essay Topic 2
Allende lived a life of relative privilege and experiences as part of a diplomatic family. How did her experiences influence her as a person? How did the experiences influence her writing? Can you cite any examples?
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for the novel. Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events.
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)