|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country in Europe did Allende, Michael and Paula live?
2. What is the name of Allende's second child?
3. Which of the following does Allende not witness in Caracas?
4. Which of the following is not one of the commodities in short supply in Chile in the 1970s?
5. What brought a new life to Allende and her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship of mothers and daughters is of obvious importance to Allende. Briefly describe the relationship between Paula and her mother. What lessons did her mother impart to her that become invaluable in her own relationship with her daughter, Paula? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the nature of this book and why the author created it the way she did. Why did she choose to create a collection of diary entries to tell her story? Is it effective? How is it different from reading a regular novel? How is it the same?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the author's use of point of view in this story. Identify the point of view used and explain why this book qualifies. How would the book have changed if the author had selected a different point of view?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)