|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lifestyle does Allende adopt when the family returns to Chile?
2. What is the name of Allende's daughter-in-law who is about to give birth?
3. What did Michael not tell Allende when she said she wanted to be with her lover in Spain?
4. Which birthday is Allende celebrating in this section?
5. What illness do Michael, Paula and Nicolas all have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a young girl, Allende loved to escape her world through reading and telling stories and this becomes an important theme throughout the book. Name at least two other themes in the journal entries and cite two examples for each to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What do you think are the three main joys in Allende's life? Cite examples to support your answers. Explain how Allende grows from these experiences.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the author's use of point of view in this story. Identify the point of view used and explain why this book qualifies. How would the book have changed if the author had selected a different point of view?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)