|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what vehicle did Allende, Michael and Paula travel around Europe?
2. After a month in San Francisco, the doctors evaluate Paula as __________________________.
3. What is Allende wearing when the television crew arrives to film?
4. What is the setting for the activity in this section?
5. What helps to alleviate some of the pain Allende feels over Paula's condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony of Allende's daughter-in-law giving birth to her first child in the room where Paula will be brought to live out the balance of her life. Explain why this is an example of the circle of life and why Allende is particularly in tune with elements of nature and spirit.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the author's use of point of view in this story. Identify the point of view used and explain why this book qualifies. How would the book have changed if the author had selected a different point of view?
Essay Topic 3
What was the nature of the military takeover in Chile in the 1970s? Explain the political climate as well as the impact of the military coups on average citizens like Allende and her family. What is Allende's view on this time period in her life?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)