|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Michael needs a new license to practice as _________________ in Venezuela.
2. Why did Allende, Michael and Paula move to Europe?
3. What is the setting for the activity in this section?
4. What brought a new life to Allende and her family?
5. Where does Allende's lover want to run away to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the nature of this book and why the author created it the way she did. Why did she choose to create a collection of diary entries to tell her story? Is it effective? How is it different from reading a regular novel? How is it the same?
Essay Topic 2
PAULA, although biographical, is a classic story of coming to terms with loss. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Allende's work is sometimes categorized as magic realism. Explain what that means to you and why it is a common categorization for Latin writers especially. Cite an example that supports this classification of Allende's writing.
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)