|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what business did Tata and his sons work?
2. Allende states that her mother's side of the family was __________________.
3. What does Pablo give to Allende to help her read?
4. What does Allende take to help her sleep at night?
5. What does Allende feel bad about her inability to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Allende and Ernesto differ in their outlooks for Paula's condition?
2. Describe the format of the book.
3. What does Allende do when her daughter slips into a coma?
4. How does Allende's distress about Paula exhibit in dreams?
5. How old is Allende in this section and what is the state of her mental and physical conditions?
7. How did Allende come to know Salvador Allende, the future president of Chile?
8. Describe Tio Ramon's infatuation with Paula.
9. What does Allende reveal about her love for nature and how she first came to realize it?
10. What happens to Allende's family after the death of Meme?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of Tio Ramon in Allende's life. What was his impact on her life? What was the evolution of their relationship? Cite some examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The relationship of mothers and daughters is of obvious importance to Allende. Briefly describe the relationship between Paula and her mother. What lessons did her mother impart to her that become invaluable in her own relationship with her daughter, Paula? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for the novel. Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events.
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)