|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Paula located when Allende visits her?
2. Allende believes she has received a premonition about _____________________.
3. What did Tio Ramon do for Allende's mother and brothers?
4. Where does Allende's mother work to support her children?
5. To what city do Allende and her family return after the scandals in Peru?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the influence of Uncle Pablo in Allende's life?
2. What initiated Allende's writing her first book?
3. What loving acts do Paula's family members do prior to her death?
4. What is Paula's condition at this point in time?
5. What were Allende's political beliefs and how did she feel about President Salvador Allende?
6. What are the circumstances that bring Allende back in contact with her father and his side of the family?
7. What other relatives come to the hospital to visit Paula?
8. How does Allende describe her time in Caracas?
9. Why is Allende so adamant about pushing the doctors to wean Paula off oxygen?
10. What is Allende's wish for Paula now and what does Allende say she tries to do to make it happen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the nature of this book and why the author created it the way she did. Why did she choose to create a collection of diary entries to tell her story? Is it effective? How is it different from reading a regular novel? How is it the same?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think are the three main sorrows in Allende's life? Cite examples to support your answers. Explain how Allende grows from these experiences.
Essay Topic 3
Allende's work is sometimes categorized as magic realism. Explain what that means to you and why it is a common categorization for Latin writers especially. Cite an example that supports this classification of Allende's writing.
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)