|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Allende try to force Paula's doctors to do?
2. Who has been Allende's constant companion while in Madrid?
3. What does Allende do after Paula has been in the hospital for 100 days?
4. Where does Allende's mother work to support her children?
5. What did Tio give Allende on her ninth birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for this section of the book?
2. Compare Allende's physical surroundings with her internal state.
3. Describe the format of the book.
4. What information does Allende provide to begin her book?
5. When did writing become an expression for Allende?
7. How did Shakespeare's plays influence Allende's writing?
8. What other relatives come to the hospital to visit Paula?
9. Describe Allende's parents.
10. What does Allende recall about the political unrest in Lebanon where the family was living in the late 1950s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the nature of the military takeover in Chile in the 1970s? Explain the political climate as well as the impact of the military coups on average citizens like Allende and her family. What is Allende's view on this time period in her life?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think are the three main sorrows in Allende's life? Cite examples to support your answers. Explain how Allende grows from these experiences.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think are the three main joys in Allende's life? Cite examples to support your answers. Explain how Allende grows from these experiences.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)