|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Allende work in her first job after graduating high school?
2. Who is Paula?
3. When does Allende see her father again?
4. What happened to the marriage between Allende's parents?
5. With whom does Allende and her family live with after their return home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Allende and Ernesto both let go of Paula?
2. What initiated Allende's writing her first book?
3. What does Allende recall about the political unrest in Lebanon where the family was living in the late 1950s?
4. What happens to Allende's family after the death of Meme?
5. Why is Allende so grateful to have her mother with her in the hospital for a short while?
6. What was the influence of Uncle Pablo in Allende's life?
7. Describe Ernesto's devotion to his wife, Paula.
8. What is Allende's wish for Paula now and what does Allende say she tries to do to make it happen?
9. What was life like for the newly-married Allende and her first husband, Michael?
10. What information does Allende provide to begin her book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of family in Allende's life. Explain why family seems to be especially important to Latin people and cultures. Cite three examples in the book that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
PAULA, although biographical, is a classic story of coming to terms with loss. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of Tio Ramon in Allende's life. What was his impact on her life? What was the evolution of their relationship? Cite some examples to support your answers.
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)