|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Tata?
2. Where did Allende learn to speak English?
3. Who is Willie?
4. Who lures Allende into the woods for inappropriate reasons?
5. Who has been Allende's constant companion while in Madrid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Allende's physical surroundings with her internal state.
2. What are the circumstances that bring Allende back in contact with her father and his side of the family?
3. How do Allende and Ernesto differ in their outlooks for Paula's condition?
4. What other relatives come to the hospital to visit Paula?
5. What was the result of Allende's affair?
6. What does Allende recall about the political unrest in Lebanon where the family was living in the late 1950s?
7. How did Tio Ramon come to be a father figure for Allende?
8. Describe Allende's grandmother, Meme's special gifts.
9. What does Allende do when her daughter slips into a coma?
10. What are Ernesto's perceptions of Paula at this point in time?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony of Allende's mother leaving her first husband because of scandal yet never marrying Tio Ramon with whom she lived as husband and wife. Why did she make these decisions and why is it a situation of irony? Can you cite any other examples of irony in Allende's story?
Essay Topic 2
PAULA, although biographical, is a classic story of coming to terms with loss. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Allende's work is sometimes categorized as magic realism. Explain what that means to you and why it is a common categorization for Latin writers especially. Cite an example that supports this classification of Allende's writing.
This section contains 1,782 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)