|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Meme?
2. Who lures Allende into the woods for inappropriate reasons?
3. Who was actually the policeman that Tio Ramon brought to the house to scare the children after they took chocolates?
4. Which of the following did Tata not do after the death of Meme?
5. What was Michael's occupation when they married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What loving acts do Paula's family members do prior to her death?
2. What is the setting for this section of the book?
3. What topic does Allende turn to during the dark days of waiting at the hospital in Spain?
4. What are some of the positive and negative effects of Salvador Allende's election to president of Chile?
5. How does Paula die?
6. Why did Allende and her family have such a difficult time adapting to life in Caracas?
7. Compare Allende's physical surroundings with her internal state.
9. What was the result of Allende's affair?
10. Allende decides to take Paula home with her to San Francisco and acknowledges that Paul's illness is the second major tragedy in her life? What does she say was the first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Allende's work is sometimes categorized as magic realism. Explain what that means to you and why it is a common categorization for Latin writers especially. Cite an example that supports this classification of Allende's writing.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the irony of Allende's daughter-in-law giving birth to her first child in the room where Paula will be brought to live out the balance of her life. Explain why this is an example of the circle of life and why Allende is particularly in tune with elements of nature and spirit.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think are the three main sorrows in Allende's life? Cite examples to support your answers. Explain how Allende grows from these experiences.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)