|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has been Allende's constant companion while in Madrid?
2. Allende states that her mother's side of the family was __________________.
3. Who is Tomas?
4. What was the initial report about Allende's daughter?
5. With whom does Allende and her family live with after their return home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for this section of the book?
2. What are some of the positive and negative effects of Salvador Allende's election to president of Chile?
3. How does Allende's distress about Paula exhibit in dreams?
4. What does Allende do when her daughter slips into a coma?
5. What are the details of transporting Paula to San Francisco and what is her medical state during the transfer?
6. What scandal forces Allende to resign her job from a children's television show?
7. What does the author call this section of the book?
8. What information does Allende provide to begin her book?
9. What are the circumstances that bring Allende back in contact with her father and his side of the family?
10. What was the nature of Allende's affair with a married man in Caracas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony of Allende's daughter-in-law giving birth to her first child in the room where Paula will be brought to live out the balance of her life. Explain why this is an example of the circle of life and why Allende is particularly in tune with elements of nature and spirit.
Essay Topic 2
Allende lived a life of relative privilege and experiences as part of a diplomatic family. How did her experiences influence her as a person? How did the experiences influence her writing? Can you cite any examples?
Essay Topic 3
PAULA, although biographical, is a classic story of coming to terms with loss. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)