|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Allende informed that her daughter was ill?
2. Why does Allende decide to write down her history and stories?
3. In what city do Allende, her mother and brothers live with Tio Ramon while he works at the Chilean embassy?
4. Who is Meme?
5. Who did Allende pledge to never use as a fictional character in anything she writes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Allende's daily routine in the hospital as she sits with Paula?
2. How did Allende come to know Salvador Allende, the future president of Chile?
3. When did writing become an expression for Allende?
4. How does Paula die?
5. Describe Allende's parents.
6. What does Allende do when her daughter slips into a coma?
7. What was the nature of Allende's affair with a married man in Caracas?
8. How does Allende describe her time in Caracas?
9. How does Allende's distress about Paula exhibit in dreams?
10. What were Allende's political beliefs and how did she feel about President Salvador Allende?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Allende has an obvious respect and affection for Pablo Neruda. Who is Neruda? What was his influence on Allende's writing? What was his influence on the world, especially Latin nations?
Essay Topic 2
What was the nature of Meme's spirituality? How did it exhibit? Do you think it was authentic? Or was it the vivid imagination of a gifted storyteller? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Allende's story has some very important themes that run throughout the book. Cite at least three themes with examples to support your answers.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)