|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tata believe that Allende is lacking?
2. What does Allende believe her task is at this point?
3. What was not hidden in Tio Ramon's wardrobe?
4. What gift does Allende remember getting for Christmas one year?
5. Where does Ernesto's father return to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Allende so adamant about pushing the doctors to wean Paula off oxygen?
2. What happens to Allende's family after the death of Meme?
3. Describe Allende's parents.
4. What are the details of transporting Paula to San Francisco and what is her medical state during the transfer?
5. What is the setting for this section of the book?
6. Compare Allende's physical surroundings with her internal state.
7. When did writing become an expression for Allende?
8. How does Allende explain her love for writing and telling stories?
9. What does Allende do when her daughter slips into a coma?
10. How does Allende describe her time in Caracas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony of Allende's mother leaving her first husband because of scandal yet never marrying Tio Ramon with whom she lived as husband and wife. Why did she make these decisions and why is it a situation of irony? Can you cite any other examples of irony in Allende's story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of Tio Ramon in Allende's life. What was his impact on her life? What was the evolution of their relationship? Cite some examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Allende's story has some very important themes that run throughout the book. Cite at least three themes with examples to support your answers.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)