Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what vehicle did Allende, Michael and Paula travel around Europe?
2. Who dies when Allende is very young?
3. In what city do Allende, her mother and brothers live with Tio Ramon while he works at the Chilean embassy?
4. In what country in Europe did Allende, Michael and Paula live?
5. What was not hidden in Tio Ramon's wardrobe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the format of the book.
2. What was the nature of Allende's affair with a married man in Caracas?
3. How did Tio Ramon come to be a father figure for Allende?
4. What happens to Allende's family after the death of Meme?
5. What does Allende reveal about her love for nature and how she first came to realize it?
6. What are the circumstances that bring Allende back in contact with her father and his side of the family?
7. What other relatives come to the hospital to visit Paula?
8. Describe Allende's son, Nicolas, during his teenage years in Caracas.
9. How did Allende use art as a form of expression as a young girl?
10. How does Paula die?
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the novel. Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events.
Essay Topic 2
Allende's work is sometimes categorized as magic realism. Explain what that means to you and why it is a common categorization for Latin writers especially. Cite an example that supports this classification of Allende's writing.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the irony of Allende's mother leaving her first husband because of scandal yet never marrying Tio Ramon with whom she lived as husband and wife. Why did she make these decisions and why is it a situation of irony? Can you cite any other examples of irony in Allende's story?
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)