|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Allende states that her mother's side of the family was __________________.
2. What gift does Allende remember getting for Christmas one year?
3. Who dies when Allende is very young?
4. What happens when Allende's father is involved in scandals in Peru?
5. What had Allende recently completed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tio Ramon come to be a father figure for Allende?
2. How does Paula die?
3. What topic does Allende turn to during the dark days of waiting at the hospital in Spain?
4. What does Allende reveal about her love for nature and how she first came to realize it?
5. How did Allende use art as a form of expression as a young girl?
6. What information does Allende provide to begin her book?
7. Explain some of Allende's activities in Chile that put her family in danger.
8. What loving acts do Paula's family members do prior to her death?
9. What was the result of Allende's affair?
10. Why did Allende and her family have such a difficult time adapting to life in Caracas?
Essay Topic 1
What was the nature of the military takeover in Chile in the 1970s? Explain the political climate as well as the impact of the military coups on average citizens like Allende and her family. What is Allende's view on this time period in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Allende's work is sometimes categorized as magic realism. Explain what that means to you and why it is a common categorization for Latin writers especially. Cite an example that supports this classification of Allende's writing.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Allende's independent attitude and controversial choices in relation to the burgeoning Women's Rights movement in the 1960s and 1970s. Cite some examples that indicate that Allende embraced the new attitudes and roles for women. In what ways does Allende fit both the typical and atypical roles of Latin women?
This section contains 1,789 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)