|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Allende's mother work to support her children?
2. What happens when Allende's father is involved in scandals in Peru?
3. Who has been Allende's constant companion while in Madrid?
4. Allende states that the only certainty of her life was _____________________.
5. Isabel Allende is a native of what country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the courtship between Allende and her first husband, Michael.
2. Describe Allende's parents.
3. What is Paula's initial diagnosis and how does Allende feel when she realizes the nature of her daughter's illness?
4. How does Allende explain her love for writing and telling stories?
5. What happens to Allende's family after the death of Meme?
6. What was the result of Allende's affair?
7. What are the details of transporting Paula to San Francisco and what is her medical state during the transfer?
8. How do Allende and Ernesto both let go of Paula?
9. Why did Allende and her family have such a difficult time adapting to life in Caracas?
10. How did Allende use art as a form of expression as a young girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Allende's work is sometimes categorized as magic realism. Explain what that means to you and why it is a common categorization for Latin writers especially. Cite an example that supports this classification of Allende's writing.
Essay Topic 2
The relationship of mothers and daughters is of obvious importance to Allende. Briefly describe the relationship between Paula and her mother. What lessons did her mother impart to her that become invaluable in her own relationship with her daughter, Paula? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the author's use of point of view in this story. Identify the point of view used and explain why this book qualifies. How would the book have changed if the author had selected a different point of view?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)