|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following people does not come to the hospital from South America?
2. Isabel Allende is a native of what country?
3. Who is Tomas?
4. Who was actually the policeman that Tio Ramon brought to the house to scare the children after they took chocolates?
5. Who is Paula?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Allende's distress about Paula exhibit in dreams?
2. Why is Allende so adamant about pushing the doctors to wean Paula off oxygen?
3. What definitive news does Allende receive about Paula's condition?
4. How does Allende's opinion of Tio Ramon change over the years?
5. What is Allende's daily routine in the hospital as she sits with Paula?
6. What does Allende recall about the political unrest in Lebanon where the family was living in the late 1950s?
7. Why does Allende decide to write this book?
8. Describe Allende's parents.
9. Describe the format of the book.
10. How does Allende explain her love for writing and telling stories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the novel. Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the irony of Allende's mother leaving her first husband because of scandal yet never marrying Tio Ramon with whom she lived as husband and wife. Why did she make these decisions and why is it a situation of irony? Can you cite any other examples of irony in Allende's story?
Essay Topic 3
Allende has an obvious respect and affection for Pablo Neruda. Who is Neruda? What was his influence on Allende's writing? What was his influence on the world, especially Latin nations?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)