|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The book is written as if it were _______________.
2. What nationality was Michael?
3. Who was Tata?
4. Who did Allende pledge to never use as a fictional character in anything she writes?
5. What happens when Allende's father is involved in scandals in Peru?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Allende's grandmother, Meme's special gifts.
2. Why is Allende so adamant about pushing the doctors to wean Paula off oxygen?
3. How did Allende come to know Salvador Allende, the future president of Chile?
4. Explain some of Allende's activities in Chile that put her family in danger.
5. How does Allende's opinion of Tio Ramon change over the years?
6. What was the result of Allende's affair?
7. What initiated Allende's writing her first book?
8. What are the circumstances that bring Allende back in contact with her father and his side of the family?
9. What other relatives come to the hospital to visit Paula?
10. Allende decides to take Paula home with her to San Francisco and acknowledges that Paul's illness is the second major tragedy in her life? What does she say was the first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony of Allende's mother leaving her first husband because of scandal yet never marrying Tio Ramon with whom she lived as husband and wife. Why did she make these decisions and why is it a situation of irony? Can you cite any other examples of irony in Allende's story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Allende's independent attitude and controversial choices in relation to the burgeoning Women's Rights movement in the 1960s and 1970s. Cite some examples that indicate that Allende embraced the new attitudes and roles for women. In what ways does Allende fit both the typical and atypical roles of Latin women?
Essay Topic 3
Allende's story has some very important themes that run throughout the book. Cite at least three themes with examples to support your answers.
This section contains 1,807 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)