|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the family joke about Allende?
2. Allende tells Paula that Paula was Tata's _______________________.
3. How old was Allende when she met her current husband, Willie?
4. The author flashes back to what time in this section?
5. What did the family put in front of the windows while living in Beirut?
Short Essay Questions
1. What accommodations have been made for Paula in Allende's home?
2. Describe Allende's son, Nicolas, during his teenage years in Caracas.
3. Explain the courtship between Allende and her first husband, Michael.
4. When did writing become an expression for Allende?
5. What does Allende do when her daughter slips into a coma?
6. What topic does Allende turn to during the dark days of waiting at the hospital in Spain?
7. What are the details of transporting Paula to San Francisco and what is her medical state during the transfer?
8. How does Allende describe her time in Caracas?
9. What loving acts do Paula's family members do prior to her death?
10. What does Allende reveal about her love for nature and how she first came to realize it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a young girl, Allende loved to escape her world through reading and telling stories and this becomes an important theme throughout the book. Name at least two other themes in the journal entries and cite two examples for each to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the irony of Allende's daughter-in-law giving birth to her first child in the room where Paula will be brought to live out the balance of her life. Explain why this is an example of the circle of life and why Allende is particularly in tune with elements of nature and spirit.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of family in Allende's life. Explain why family seems to be especially important to Latin people and cultures. Cite three examples in the book that support this position.
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)