Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Allende tells Paula that Paula was Tata's _______________________.
2. Why does Allende decide to write down her history and stories?
3. What gift does Allende remember getting for Christmas one year?
4. What was Michael's occupation when they married?
5. What does Allende's mother give her to express herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What topic does Allende turn to during the dark days of waiting at the hospital in Spain?
2. How did Shakespeare's plays influence Allende's writing?
3. How does Allende explain her love for writing and telling stories?
4. What was the result of Allende's affair?
5. How did Tio Ramon come to be a father figure for Allende?
6. Why does Allende decide to write this book?
7. What does Allende do when her daughter slips into a coma?
8. What was Allende's job during the early days of her first marriage?
9. What does Allende reveal about her love for nature and how she first came to realize it?
10. What is the setting for this section of the book?
Allende is a creative woman who lives an unconventional life. Do you think Allende could indulge her idiosyncrasies because her family's lifestyle allowed it? Or would Allende have found some outlet for her quirkiness regardless of her station in life? How much is financial status an issue in living the life that one pleases as opposed to the life one is obligated to live?
Explain the irony of Allende's daughter-in-law giving birth to her first child in the room where Paula will be brought to live out the balance of her life. Explain why this is an example of the circle of life and why Allende is particularly in tune with elements of nature and spirit.
The relationship of mothers and daughters is of obvious importance to Allende. Briefly describe the relationship between Paula and her mother. What lessons did her mother impart to her that become invaluable in her own relationship with her daughter, Paula? Explain.
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)