|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pablo give to Allende to help her read?
2. Where does Allende's mother work to support her children?
3. Who is Paula?
4. How many years was Ernesto's father in exile in South America?
5. What was the basis for Allende's writing as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Allende do when her daughter slips into a coma?
2. Why did Allende and her family have such a difficult time adapting to life in Caracas?
3. Why is Allende so grateful to have her mother with her in the hospital for a short while?
4. Explain the spiritual connection Allende has with Paula at this time.
5. Compare Allende's physical surroundings with her internal state.
6. How does Paula die?
7. How did Allende use art as a form of expression as a young girl?
8. How did Shakespeare's plays influence Allende's writing?
9. How does Allende's opinion of Tio Ramon change over the years?
10. What happens to Allende's family after the death of Meme?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of family in Allende's life. Explain why family seems to be especially important to Latin people and cultures. Cite three examples in the book that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
What do you think are the three main sorrows in Allende's life? Cite examples to support your answers. Explain how Allende grows from these experiences.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Allende's independent attitude and controversial choices in relation to the burgeoning Women's Rights movement in the 1960s and 1970s. Cite some examples that indicate that Allende embraced the new attitudes and roles for women. In what ways does Allende fit both the typical and atypical roles of Latin women?
This section contains 1,786 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)