|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The book is written as if it were _______________.
2. What does Pablo give to Allende to help her read?
3. Which one of Allende's brothers ran away as a teenager and never returned?
4. What does Allende do after Paula has been in the hospital for 100 days?
5. Allende wished that she was _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the courtship between Allende and her first husband, Michael.
2. What are Ernesto's perceptions of Paula at this point in time?
3. What does the author call this section of the book?
4. How did Allende use art as a form of expression as a young girl?
5. Describe the format of the book.
6. Describe Allende's grandmother, Meme's special gifts.
7. How does Paula die?
8. What was the influence of Uncle Pablo in Allende's life?
9. How old is Allende in this section and what is the state of her mental and physical conditions?
10. What does Allende recall about the political unrest in Lebanon where the family was living in the late 1950s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Allende has an obvious respect and affection for Pablo Neruda. Who is Neruda? What was his influence on Allende's writing? What was his influence on the world, especially Latin nations?
Essay Topic 2
Allende lived a life of relative privilege and experiences as part of a diplomatic family. How did her experiences influence her as a person? How did the experiences influence her writing? Can you cite any examples?
Essay Topic 3
PAULA, although biographical, is a classic story of coming to terms with loss. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)