|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Allende states that the only certainty of her life was _____________________.
2. What does Allende's mother give her to express herself?
3. Where did Allende paint murals?
4. What disease was Paula diagnosed with?
5. Who is Tomas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Allende recall about the political unrest in Lebanon where the family was living in the late 1950s?
2. How did Tio Ramon come to be a father figure for Allende?
3. What was life like for Allende when she, Michael and the children returned to Chile in the 1960s?
4. What are the circumstances that bring Allende back in contact with her father and his side of the family?
5. What is the setting for this section of the book?
6. Why did Allende and her family have such a difficult time adapting to life in Caracas?
7. Who is Tio Ramon?
8. What loving acts do Paula's family members do prior to her death?
9. What definitive news does Allende receive about Paula's condition?
10. Describe the format of the book.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the author's use of point of view in this story. Identify the point of view used and explain why this book qualifies. How would the book have changed if the author had selected a different point of view?
Essay Topic 2
Allende is a creative woman who lives an unconventional life. Do you think Allende could indulge her idiosyncrasies because her family's lifestyle allowed it? Or would Allende have found some outlet for her quirkiness regardless of her station in life? How much is financial status an issue in living the life that one pleases as opposed to the life one is obligated to live?
Essay Topic 3
Allende has an obvious respect and affection for Pablo Neruda. Who is Neruda? What was his influence on Allende's writing? What was his influence on the world, especially Latin nations?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)