|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Willie?
2. Where did Allende learn to speak English?
3. What happened to the marriage between Allende's parents?
4. What does Allende take to help her sleep at night?
5. Allende wished that she was _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Allende reveal about her love for nature and how she first came to realize it?
2. How do Allende and Ernesto differ in their outlooks for Paula's condition?
3. How does Allende explain her love for writing and telling stories?
4. Describe Allende's grandmother, Meme's special gifts.
5. What accommodations have been made for Paula in Allende's home?
6. What definitive news does Allende receive about Paula's condition?
7. What topic does Allende turn to during the dark days of waiting at the hospital in Spain?
8. What does Allende share about her early school days in Santiago?
9. How did Tio Ramon come to be a father figure for Allende?
10. What was life like for the newly-married Allende and her first husband, Michael?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1The relationship of mothers and daughters is of obvious importance to Allende. Briefly describe the relationship between Paula and her mother. What lessons did her mother impart to her that become invaluable in her own relationship with her daughter, Paula? Explain.
Essay Topic 2Allende's story has some very important themes that run throughout the book. Cite at least three themes with examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3Allende has an obvious respect and affection for Pablo Neruda. Who is Neruda? What was his influence on Allende's writing? What was his influence on the world, especially Latin nations?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)