|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Allende states that the only certainty of her life was _____________________.
2. What does Allende feel bad about her inability to do?
3. The book is written as if it were _______________.
4. What was the family joke about Allende?
5. Where does Allende's mother work to support her children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the influence of Uncle Pablo in Allende's life?
2. What does Allende reveal about her love for nature and how she first came to realize it?
3. How did Shakespeare's plays influence Allende's writing?
4. What was the result of Allende's affair?
5. How do Allende and Ernesto differ in their outlooks for Paula's condition?
6. What are the circumstances that bring Allende back in contact with her father and his side of the family?
7. How did Tio Ramon come to be a father figure for Allende?
8. How does Allende's opinion of Tio Ramon change over the years?
9. How do Allende and Ernesto both let go of Paula?
10. How does Allende explain her love for writing and telling stories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony of Allende's daughter-in-law giving birth to her first child in the room where Paula will be brought to live out the balance of her life. Explain why this is an example of the circle of life and why Allende is particularly in tune with elements of nature and spirit.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for the novel. Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think are the three main sorrows in Allende's life? Cite examples to support your answers. Explain how Allende grows from these experiences.
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)