|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ernesto's father return to?
2. Where did Allende's family live?
3. What was the family joke about Allende?
4. Allende bases a character in which of her books on her grandmother?
5. What was Michael's occupation when they married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What topic does Allende turn to during the dark days of waiting at the hospital in Spain?
2. How does Paula die?
3. Describe Allende's grandmother, Meme's special gifts.
4. What was life like for Allende when she, Michael and the children returned to Chile in the 1960s?
5. How did Allende come to know Salvador Allende, the future president of Chile?
6. Why does Allende decide to write this book?
7. Explain the spiritual connection Allende has with Paula at this time.
8. How did Allende use art as a form of expression as a young girl?
9. How did Shakespeare's plays influence Allende's writing?
10. How does Allende's opinion of Tio Ramon change over the years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony of Allende's daughter-in-law giving birth to her first child in the room where Paula will be brought to live out the balance of her life. Explain why this is an example of the circle of life and why Allende is particularly in tune with elements of nature and spirit.
Essay Topic 2
Allende has an obvious respect and affection for Pablo Neruda. Who is Neruda? What was his influence on Allende's writing? What was his influence on the world, especially Latin nations?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of family in Allende's life. Explain why family seems to be especially important to Latin people and cultures. Cite three examples in the book that support this position.
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)