|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Allende's brothers ran away as a teenager and never returned?
2. Who is Tomas?
3. What does Allende think is the most beautiful part of Chile?
4. In what city do Allende, her mother and brothers live with Tio Ramon while he works at the Chilean embassy?
5. How many years are Paula and Ernesto married when Paula gets sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the positive and negative effects of Salvador Allende's election to president of Chile?
2. What does Allende share about her early school days in Santiago?
3. How do Allende and Ernesto both let go of Paula?
4. What does Allende reveal about her love for nature and how she first came to realize it?
5. What loving acts do Paula's family members do prior to her death?
6. What definitive news does Allende receive about Paula's condition?
7. Describe Allende's grandmother, Meme's special gifts.
8. What are Ernesto's perceptions of Paula at this point in time?
9. How old is Allende in this section and what is the state of her mental and physical conditions?
10. How did Allende use art as a form of expression as a young girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Allende is a creative woman who lives an unconventional life. Do you think Allende could indulge her idiosyncrasies because her family's lifestyle allowed it? Or would Allende have found some outlet for her quirkiness regardless of her station in life? How much is financial status an issue in living the life that one pleases as opposed to the life one is obligated to live?
Essay Topic 2
What was the nature of the military takeover in Chile in the 1970s? Explain the political climate as well as the impact of the military coups on average citizens like Allende and her family. What is Allende's view on this time period in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of family in Allende's life. Explain why family seems to be especially important to Latin people and cultures. Cite three examples in the book that support this position.
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)