Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what vehicle did Allende, Michael and Paula travel around Europe?
2. Who dies when Allende is very young?
3. In what city do Allende, her mother and brothers live with Tio Ramon while he works at the Chilean embassy?
4. In what country in Europe did Allende, Michael and Paula live?
5. What was not hidden in Tio Ramon's wardrobe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the format of the book.
2. What was the nature of Allende's affair with a married man in Caracas?
3. How did Tio Ramon come to be a father figure for Allende?
4. What happens to Allende's family after the death of Meme?
5. What does Allende reveal about her love for nature and how she first came to realize it?
6. What are the circumstances that bring Allende back in contact with her father and his side of the family?
7. What other relatives come to the hospital to visit Paula?
8. Describe Allende's son, Nicolas, during his teenage years in Caracas.
9. How did Allende use art as a form of expression as a young girl?
10. How does Paula die?
Essay Topic 1
Allende lived a life of relative privilege and experiences as part of a diplomatic family. How did her experiences influence her as a person? How did the experiences influence her writing? Can you cite any examples?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship of mothers and daughters is of obvious importance to Allende. Briefly describe the relationship between Paula and her mother. What lessons did her mother impart to her that become invaluable in her own relationship with her daughter, Paula? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Allende's independent attitude and controversial choices in relation to the burgeoning Women's Rights movement in the 1960s and 1970s. Cite some examples that indicate that Allende embraced the new attitudes and roles for women. In what ways does Allende fit both the typical and atypical roles of Latin women?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)