|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tio Ramon?
2. Why did Allende feel guilty about Paula's disease?
3. What disease was Paula diagnosed with?
4. Who seems more fatalistic about Paula's possible death?
5. Where did Allende's family live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What initiated Allende's writing her first book?
2. What definitive news does Allende receive about Paula's condition?
3. How old is Allende in this section and what is the state of her mental and physical conditions?
4. What does Allende reveal about her love for nature and how she first came to realize it?
5. What does the author call this section of the book?
6. Why does Allende decide to write this book?
7. What was the nature of Allende's affair with a married man in Caracas?
8. Explain the courtship between Allende and her first husband, Michael.
9. What are the details of transporting Paula to San Francisco and what is her medical state during the transfer?
10. How does Paula die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Allende lived a life of relative privilege and experiences as part of a diplomatic family. How did her experiences influence her as a person? How did the experiences influence her writing? Can you cite any examples?
Essay Topic 2
Allende's work is sometimes categorized as magic realism. Explain what that means to you and why it is a common categorization for Latin writers especially. Cite an example that supports this classification of Allende's writing.
Essay Topic 3
Allende's story has some very important themes that run throughout the book. Cite at least three themes with examples to support your answers.
This section contains 1,735 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)