|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what city do Allende and her family return after the scandals in Peru?
2. In what city do Allende, her mother and brothers live with Tio Ramon while he works at the Chilean embassy?
3. Where did Allende learn to speak English?
4. Which of the following does Ernesto not do during Paula's illness?
5. The author flashes back to what time in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Paula's condition at this point in time?
2. Explain the spiritual connection Allende has with Paula at this time.
3. What was life like for the newly-married Allende and her first husband, Michael?
4. How did Shakespeare's plays influence Allende's writing?
5. What are Ernesto's perceptions of Paula at this point in time?
6. Who is Tio Ramon?
7. What does Allende reveal about her love for nature and how she first came to realize it?
8. What other relatives come to the hospital to visit Paula?
9. Why is Allende so grateful to have her mother with her in the hospital for a short while?
10. How does Allende's distress about Paula exhibit in dreams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the nature of the military takeover in Chile in the 1970s? Explain the political climate as well as the impact of the military coups on average citizens like Allende and her family. What is Allende's view on this time period in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the nature of this book and why the author created it the way she did. Why did she choose to create a collection of diary entries to tell her story? Is it effective? How is it different from reading a regular novel? How is it the same?
Essay Topic 3
As a young girl, Allende loved to escape her world through reading and telling stories and this becomes an important theme throughout the book. Name at least two other themes in the journal entries and cite two examples for each to support your answers.
This section contains 1,743 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)