|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Tio Ramon do for Allende's mother and brothers?
(a) Take them for rides in a car
(b) Take them to ballgames
(c) Take them to church
(d) Take them to the beach
2. Where does Allende work in her first job after graduating high school?
(a) The CIA
(b) The United Nations
(c) The Smithsonian
(d) A dress shop
3. Which of the following does Ernesto not do during Paula's illness?
(a) Leaves items under her pillow
(b) Makes tape recorded messages
(c) Brings flowers
(d) Visits every day
4. Who is Meme?
(a) Allende's grandmother
(b) Allende's daughter
(c) Allende's poodle
(d) Allende's aunt
5. The author flashes back to what time in this section?
(a) When Paula was born
(b) When she got married
(c) When her mother and brothers returned to Santiago
(d) When she graduated college
6. What nationality was Michael?
7. Which one of Allende's brothers was a great scholar?
8. Who is Tomas?
(a) Allende's father
(b) Allende's grandfather
(c) Allende's brother
(d) Allende's son
9. What was Allende doing when notified about her daughter?
(a) She was taking skiing lessons
(b) She was at a museum
(c) She was making dinner
(d) She was on a book tour
10. What did the Allendes do at the mental institution?
(a) Sing for patients
(b) Read to patients
(c) Visit relatives
(d) Pick fruit in the orchards
11. Allende bases a character in which of her books on her grandmother?
(a) The Infinite Plan
(b) Daughter of Fortune
(d) The House of Spirits
12. What did Allende's mother do to make some extra money?
(a) Freelance writing
(b) Catered parties
(c) Made hats
(d) Took care of children
13. Allende states that the only certainty of her life was _____________________.
(b) Her husband
(c) The hospital
(d) Her books
14. Why does Allende decide to write down her history and stories?
(a) To teach a writing class
(b) To give to the historical society
(c) To create a new book
(d) To help Paula reorient herself when she recovers
15. What book did Allende read on the sly when her parents were out?
(a) Peyton Place
(b) Tropic of Cancer
(c) A Thousand and One Nights
(d) The Joy of Sex
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Allende believe her task is at this point?
2. Allende tells Paula that Paula was Tata's _______________________.
3. How old is Allende when she returns to Tata's house from Lebanon?
4. How old was Allende's mother when she had Allende?
5. When does Allende see her father again?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)