|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Allende and her family live with after their return home?
(a) Mama and Papa
(b) Meme and Tata
(c) Gigi and Papa
(d) Meme and Papa
2. Allende believes she has received a premonition about _____________________.
(a) Tata's death
(b) Paula's death
(c) Her next book
(d) Her mother's marriage
3. The author flashes back to what time in this section?
(a) When Paula was born
(b) When she graduated college
(c) When she got married
(d) When her mother and brothers returned to Santiago
4. Allende states that the only certainty of her life was _____________________.
(a) Her books
(b) Her husband
(d) The hospital
5. About whom does Allende have a frightening dream?
6. What was not hidden in Tio Ramon's wardrobe?
(a) Racy magazines
7. Where did Allende learn to speak English?
(a) Listening to the radio
(b) From Tio Ramon
(c) A school for British girls
(d) From her mother
8. What did Tio give Allende on her ninth birthday?
(a) A princess outfit
(b) Complete set of William Shakespeare's works
(c) A bicycle
(d) A life sized doll
9. Which one of Allende's brothers ran away as a teenager and never returned?
10. In what business did Tata and his sons work?
11. What were Paula's last words to Allende before slipping into a coma?
(a) I'm scared
(b) I love you
(c) Take care of Ernesto
(d) Pray for me
12. What does Allende wish for more than anything at this point?
(a) For Pancho to return
(b) For Paula to reawaken
(c) For Willie to return
(d) For Ernesto to get on with his life
13. What did Allende's mother do to make some extra money?
(a) Freelance writing
(b) Made hats
(c) Took care of children
(d) Catered parties
14. Why did Allende feel guilty about Paula's disease?
(a) For making fun of her symptoms
(b) For ignoring Paula's pleas for help
(c) For passing on the tendency to get it
(d) For not noticing it earlier
15. Allende's daughter is in a hospital in what city?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tomas?
2. Who was Tata?
3. What does Tata believe that Allende is lacking?
4. Who seems more fatalistic about Paula's possible death?
5. Allende bases a character in which of her books on her grandmother?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)