|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Allende try to force Paula's doctors to do?
(a) Give Paula a blood transfusion
(b) Send Paula home
(c) Turn off Paula's life support
(d) Wean Paula off oxygen
2. What was the family joke about Allende?
(a) Her ears are so big
(b) If her mother took the right child from the hospital
(c) She squeaked when she laughed
(d) She walked like a duck
3. Which of the following does Ernesto not do during Paula's illness?
(a) Brings flowers
(b) Leaves items under her pillow
(c) Makes tape recorded messages
(d) Visits every day
4. Who was Tata?
(a) Allende's gardener
(b) Allende's chauffeur
(c) Allende's poodle
(d) Allende's grandfather
5. What was the basis for Allende's writing as a child?
(a) Vivid imagination
(b) Outgoing personality
(c) Gift for gab
6. How old was Allende when she married her first husband, Michael?
7. Who is Willie?
(a) Allende's accountant
(b) Allende's husband
(c) Allende's editor
(d) Allende's driver
8. What had Allende recently completed?
(a) Knitting a sweater
(b) A cooking course
(c) A new novel
(d) A trip around the world
9. What does Allende believe her task is at this point?
(a) To pray the rosary
(b) To find better doctors
(c) To remain calm
(d) To distract death so it cannot find Paula
10. Why does Allende decide to write down her history and stories?
(a) To give to the historical society
(b) To create a new book
(c) To help Paula reorient herself when she recovers
(d) To teach a writing class
11. What does Tata believe that Allende is lacking?
12. Where did Allende paint murals?
(a) At her school
(b) At a social club
(c) On her bedroom walls
(d) At a cafe
13. What did Tio Ramon do for Allende's mother and brothers?
(a) Take them for rides in a car
(b) Take them to church
(c) Take them to the beach
(d) Take them to ballgames
14. Allende bases a character in which of her books on her grandmother?
(a) The House of Spirits
(c) Daughter of Fortune
(d) The Infinite Plan
15. What happens when Allende's father is involved in scandals in Peru?
(a) He is jailed
(b) He is exiled
(c) He is put on trial
(d) The family must return to Chile
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Allende's mother when she had Allende?
2. When does Allende see her father again?
3. What happened to the marriage between Allende's parents?
4. In what country was Allende visiting when she was notified about her daughter?
5. The book is written as if it were _______________.
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)