|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Harriet doing when a bus passes her in Chapter 18?
(b) Picking up litter.
(c) Going to the post office.
(d) Going through the garbage.
2. What happens to Harriet while riding the bus in Chapter 14?
(a) She thinks she sees Avel.
(b) She falls and hits her head.
(c) She has a panic attack.
(d) She gets off at the wrong stop.
3. Why does Patty Jane decide to go to school in Chapter 12?
(a) She is not qualified for any good jobs.
(b) She wants an excuse to get out of the house.
(c) She wants to meet new people.
(d) She wins some scholarship money.
4. What state is Harriet in when Patty Jane and Nora check on her in Chapter 25?
(a) Harriet is coughing up blood.
(b) Harriet is unconscious.
(c) Harriet is drunk.
(d) Harriet is vomiting.
5. Where does Patty Jane see her husband's face in Chapter 11?
(a) Amongst a crowd of people.
(b) On cereal boxes.
(c) On the side of a bus.
(d) On a poster.
6. Where does Reese invite Harriet to in Chapter 18?
(a) To a church.
(b) To a movie.
(c) To an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.
(d) For a picnic.
7. How does Patty Jane feel about seeing Thor in Chapter 22?
8. How do Patty Jane and Clyde find themselves rolling in the snow in Chapter 13?
(a) They fall while walking across a field.
(b) The jump behind a snow bank to avoid being seen.
(c) They slide down some icy steps.
(d) They are playing with Nora.
9. What does Harriet find in the hotel room in Chapter 17?
(a) A cup of coffee and a muffin.
(b) A new dress.
(c) A bouquet.
(d) A set of keys.
10. How many months pass before Ione returns from her trip?
(a) Eight months.
(b) Five months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Six months.
11. What is Reese's job?
(a) Police officer.
(b) Hotel manager.
(c) Dry cleaner.
12. What shocks the women during the first lecture in Chapter 12?
(a) That the speaker tells them about her experiences abroad.
(c) The speaker's honesty.
(d) An argument between the speaker and one of the women.
13. What do Harriet and Nora do as a surprise in Chapter 24?
(a) Prepare a slideshow.
(b) Do a dance.
(c) Play a trumpet duet.
(d) Jump out of a cake.
14. What gift does Ione give Harriet in Chapter 25?
(a) A music box.
(b) A silk scarf.
(c) A watch.
(d) A teddy bear.
15. How does Nora's relationship with her mother change as she becomes a teenager?
(a) It becomes more formal.
(b) They become more honest.
(c) It becomes more tense.
(d) They become closer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Clyde's last name?
2. What is Patty Jane unable to understand about Clyde's sculptures?
3. How does Harriet surprise Reese in Chapter 18?
4. Why is Patty Jane unhappy with Harriet when she returns home in Chapter 14?
5. Where is Harriet buying when she bumps into Reese in Chapter 18?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)