Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets Ryan back at the office?
2. How long does it take for the trial to begin?
3. Where does the unsuccessful attacker go after the scene at the Mall?
4. It was originally suspected that the ______, a terrorist group was responsible for the attack.
5. How long does it take to repair Ryan's shoulder in surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. The reader is introduced to Dennis Cooley, a bookstore owner. Discuss Cooley and why he is an important part of the story.
2. Owens still believes that the information on Miller came from the inside. Discuss Owens' theory and findings on the matter. What does Owens plan to do?
3. What happens to jeopardize Ryan's anonymity? Who is going to benefit from the information?
4. What detail about the visit from the Royals is Ryan not permitted to know? Why does it bother Ryan?
5. Which two important figures watch the newscast? What are their individual reactions?
6. What happens to the information gathered by the recon cameras? How does it happen?
7. Why is it automatically assumed that Ryan will return to the CIA?
8. What is Ryan thinking about as he is making his way to the Mall?
9. What is the next stage of the operation for Miller and O'Donnell? What is Alex's role in the plan?
10. Who is the PIRA member discovered by the British police? What has the person supposedly done? What is the person's demeanor?
The Prince and Princess of Wales, the Queen of England and the Duke of Edinburgh are all important characters in the book. Explain why Clancy never uses their names. Do you think the prince and princess are Charles and Diana? Do you think the Queen is Elizabeth II? Do you think the Duke of Edinburgh is Prince Phillip? If not, who might they be? Why does Clancy avoid using their names? Do you think Clancy did not want to name them directly for personal reasons? Do you think that Clancy chose not to name them so the references would not date the book? Explain.
Discuss the tension between Joe Muller and Jack Ryan. Why are the men at odds? Which do you feel is right? Which man acted inappropriately at the hospital? Compare and contract Muller and Ryan, including their careers and beliefs regarding family issues.
Jack Ryan is a historian at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. What does it mean to be a historian? Does Ryan teach about history, about the Navy, or something else entirely? What type of students does Ryan have? What else is Ryan called upon to do other than teach? What part of Ryan's job took him to the UK in the first place? How does Ryan's experience switch from the Naval Academy to the CIA? What is Ryan's military training and history? Do you think Ryan is the best person to sign on to the CIA for this case? Explain.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)