|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the operation Ryan participated in for the CIA?
2. Officers from which law enforcement agency visit Ryan in the hospital?
3. Which is not a part of Ryan's precautionary plan to protect himself and his family from Miller?
4. The people Ryan saved, the Prince and Princess of Wales, were in which type of car when attacked?
5. How many times does Ryan get shot in the opening scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction of Kevin O'Donnell when he sees the news coverage of the Miller trial?
2. Why is the British press being so hard on the Prince of Wales? Why is the Prince being blamed for the tragedy? What does Ryan say in response?
3. How does Ryan attempt to deal with Sally's demeanor when she returns home from the hospital? Does the plan work?
4. Which two important figures watch the newscast? What are their individual reactions?
5. What questions does Ryan ask himself when trying to identify patterns within the terrorist network?
6. Ryan is warned not to give out any sensitive information to which person? What is Ryan's opinion of the person? What does the person think of Ryan?
7. What misconception does Ryan have about the attack? Why is there a sense of disbelief when Ryan hears the real story?
8. Although the evening with the Royals is pleasant, there are underlying issues that create tension. Discuss at least one or two of the underlying issues.
9. What is the reaction of the students in Ryan's lecture hall on his first day back at the Naval Academy?
10. What information does the doctor give to Ryan and Jackson regarding Cathy's condition? What is said about Sally?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Prince and Princess of Wales, the Queen of England and the Duke of Edinburgh are all important characters in the book. Explain why Clancy never uses their names. Do you think the prince and princess are Charles and Diana? Do you think the Queen is Elizabeth II? Do you think the Duke of Edinburgh is Prince Phillip? If not, who might they be? Why does Clancy avoid using their names? Do you think Clancy did not want to name them directly for personal reasons? Do you think that Clancy chose not to name them so the references would not date the book? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
There is a great deal of political intrigue involved in the book. This is a common theme for Tom Clancy. Write about Clancy's work. What other books involve Jack Ryan and/or similar themes to the ones presented in "Patriot Games?" Why do you think Clancy is so fascinated with terrorists and international intrigue? What is Clancy's background? How many books has Clancy written? Have you ever read any of Clancy's other books?
Essay Topic 3
Dennis Cooley seems to start out in the book as a bookstore owner that happens to pass along vital information to various contacts at the ULA. Somewhere along the way, Cooley becomes savvy to the activities of the ULA and inserts himself as an important person, eventually working directly with O'Donnell. Explain the change in Cooley's role, what precipitated it, and how Cooley felt about the change. What was O'Donnell's reaction to the change? Why do you think O'Donnell did not kill Cooley after the store had been breached? How else could Cooley be a valuable resource for O'Donnell and the ULA?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)