|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Ryan's wife?
2. Where does the meeting take place?
3. Who/what invades Ryan's hospital room?
4. What sport did Ryan play in younger days?
5. Who meets Ryan back at the office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who finds Alex's gun? What type of gun is it? Where is it found?
2. What is being tracked at the terrorist training camp? What is the purpose of the tracking system?
3. Why is the British press being so hard on the Prince of Wales? Why is the Prince being blamed for the tragedy? What does Ryan say in response?
4. What is the problem with listening in on Cooley's phone conversations? Who does Cooley call?
5. What is Ryan's state in the hospital? What issue makes Ryan wary?
6. Which two important figures watch the newscast? What are their individual reactions?
7. How does Ryan attempt to deal with Sally's demeanor when she returns home from the hospital? Does the plan work?
8. Discuss the scene in which Robby takes the terrorists inside the house by surprise.
9. What is part of the preparation Ryan must take to protect himself and the family? Who is on board to help with the preparation? What is Ryan told to do?
10. Alex surmises that his gun has been recovered from the quarry. What is Alex's reaction to the news? What is Alex's final determination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Admiral Greer predicts that he can get Ryan to join the CIA at least on a temporary basis. Explain in detail Greer's job, where he fits into the story, why he wants Ryan, and what his plans include. Also discuss Greer's personal attitude toward Ryan and vice versa.
Essay Topic 2
There is a great deal of political intrigue involved in the book. This is a common theme for Tom Clancy. Write about Clancy's work. What other books involve Jack Ryan and/or similar themes to the ones presented in "Patriot Games?" Why do you think Clancy is so fascinated with terrorists and international intrigue? What is Clancy's background? How many books has Clancy written? Have you ever read any of Clancy's other books?
Essay Topic 3
Dennis Cooley seems to start out in the book as a bookstore owner that happens to pass along vital information to various contacts at the ULA. Somewhere along the way, Cooley becomes savvy to the activities of the ULA and inserts himself as an important person, eventually working directly with O'Donnell. Explain the change in Cooley's role, what precipitated it, and how Cooley felt about the change. What was O'Donnell's reaction to the change? Why do you think O'Donnell did not kill Cooley after the store had been breached? How else could Cooley be a valuable resource for O'Donnell and the ULA?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)