Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets Ryan back at the office?
2. How long does it take for the trial to begin?
3. Where does the unsuccessful attacker go after the scene at the Mall?
4. It was originally suspected that the ______, a terrorist group was responsible for the attack.
5. How long does it take to repair Ryan's shoulder in surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. The reader is introduced to Dennis Cooley, a bookstore owner. Discuss Cooley and why he is an important part of the story.
2. Owens still believes that the information on Miller came from the inside. Discuss Owens' theory and findings on the matter. What does Owens plan to do?
3. What happens to jeopardize Ryan's anonymity? Who is going to benefit from the information?
4. What detail about the visit from the Royals is Ryan not permitted to know? Why does it bother Ryan?
5. Which two important figures watch the newscast? What are their individual reactions?
6. What happens to the information gathered by the recon cameras? How does it happen?
7. Why is it automatically assumed that Ryan will return to the CIA?
8. What is Ryan thinking about as he is making his way to the Mall?
9. What is the next stage of the operation for Miller and O'Donnell? What is Alex's role in the plan?
10. Who is the PIRA member discovered by the British police? What has the person supposedly done? What is the person's demeanor?
Essay Topic 1
Write a bio on Sergeant Major Noah Breckenridge. Breckenridge turns out to be a valuable character in the book. Explain Breckenridge's career, what part he plays in the story and why his presence is valuable.
Essay Topic 2
The Prince and Princess of Wales, the Queen of England and the Duke of Edinburgh are all important characters in the book. Explain why Clancy never uses their names. Do you think the prince and princess are Charles and Diana? Do you think the Queen is Elizabeth II? Do you think the Duke of Edinburgh is Prince Phillip? If not, who might they be? Why does Clancy avoid using their names? Do you think Clancy did not want to name them directly for personal reasons? Do you think that Clancy chose not to name them so the references would not date the book? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning Ryan is clearly ill at ease in the presence of the Queen, Duke and other Royals. Discuss in detail the way the Royals are portrayed in the book. Is the portrayal accurate? Do you think Clancy has first hand knowledge of Buckingham Palace? What is the structure of the royal family? How does a monarchy operate? Does the Queen have sole power? What role does the Duke play? How does the relationship between the Royals and the Ryans change?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)