|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the students tell Ryan to do the next time he is faced with a similar situation like the one faced in London?
2. It is believed that O'Donnell will not be found because of which of the following?
3. What is Ryan's profession?
4. Where is Miller supposed to be taken after leaving the prison? Where is Miller's new home?
5. Where is the rare bookshop and center of ULA operations located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does the doctor give to Ryan and Jackson regarding Cathy's condition? What is said about Sally?
2. What is being tracked at the terrorist training camp? What is the purpose of the tracking system?
3. Why is Ryan angry enough to attack O'Neil? Who stops the confrontation?
4. How does Ryan attempt to deal with Sally's demeanor when she returns home from the hospital? Does the plan work?
5. What is the next stage of the operation for Miller and O'Donnell? What is Alex's role in the plan?
6. Ryan learns that he has a guard on the door and questions to answer. Discuss the scene.
7. Describe the opening scene in the book, including the people and locations involved.
8. What skills are possessed by the unnamed attacker? What is the man's opinion of Jack Ryan?
9. What is part of the preparation Ryan must take to protect himself and the family? Who is on board to help with the preparation? What is Ryan told to do?
10. Owens and Ashley look into Watkins' military history. What is learned about Watkins and what may have turned him against the crown?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the ULA and the PIRA. What do the abbreviations stand for and how are the groups similar? Were the groups ever connected in any way? Explain. Which do you think is more dangerous? Why? Summarize the core mission of each group and the plans used to accomplish that mission.
Essay Topic 2
Owen is apprehensive of letting David Ashley go alone to meet with Murphy of the PIRA. Discuss the purpose of the meeting. Why does Murphy summon Ashley to Dublin? How could Owen and Ashley be sure that the PIRA would not launch an attack against the police? Can the PIRA be trusted? What does Murphy say to convince Ashley that the PIRA was not behind the attack on the Royals? Explain in detail the purpose of the PIRA and the actions they might take to further their cause.
Essay Topic 3
Jack Ryan is a historian at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. What does it mean to be a historian? Does Ryan teach about history, about the Navy, or something else entirely? What type of students does Ryan have? What else is Ryan called upon to do other than teach? What part of Ryan's job took him to the UK in the first place? How does Ryan's experience switch from the Naval Academy to the CIA? What is Ryan's military training and history? Do you think Ryan is the best person to sign on to the CIA for this case? Explain.
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)