|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the person guarding Ryan?
2. What is the position of the person Ryan tends to avoid?
3. The Ryans are getting ready for which holiday?
4. Which of the following was not one of the officers to visit Ryan?
5. What type of plane is taken by the Ryans from the UK to the US?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name at least two famous women who were executed at the Tower of London. Also note the year in which the last execution took place.
2. What happens to jeopardize Ryan's anonymity? Who is going to benefit from the information?
3. Why is Ryan angry enough to attack O'Neil? Who stops the confrontation?
4. Discuss the scene in which Robby takes the terrorists inside the house by surprise.
5. What is the plan to raid Camp 18? What actually happens?
6. Alex surmises that his gun has been recovered from the quarry. What is Alex's reaction to the news? What is Alex's final determination?
7. What causes Ashley to be curious about Cooley's bookshop? What does Ashley learn on his visit to the store?
8. What is Ryan thinking about as he is making his way to the Mall?
9. Discuss the conversation held between Ryan and Jackson at home. Do the men agree?
10. Owens still believes that the information on Miller came from the inside. Discuss Owens' theory and findings on the matter. What does Owens plan to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Jack Ryan is a historian at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. What does it mean to be a historian? Does Ryan teach about history, about the Navy, or something else entirely? What type of students does Ryan have? What else is Ryan called upon to do other than teach? What part of Ryan's job took him to the UK in the first place? How does Ryan's experience switch from the Naval Academy to the CIA? What is Ryan's military training and history? Do you think Ryan is the best person to sign on to the CIA for this case? Explain.
Essay Topic 2The Prince and Princess of Wales, the Queen of England and the Duke of Edinburgh are all important characters in the book. Explain why Clancy never uses their names. Do you think the prince and princess are Charles and Diana? Do you think the Queen is Elizabeth II? Do you think the Duke of Edinburgh is Prince Phillip? If not, who might they be? Why does Clancy avoid using their names? Do you think Clancy did not want to name them directly for personal reasons? Do you think that Clancy chose not to name them so the references would not date the book? Explain.
Essay Topic 3There is a great deal of political intrigue involved in the book. This is a common theme for Tom Clancy. Write about Clancy's work. What other books involve Jack Ryan and/or similar themes to the ones presented in "Patriot Games?" Why do you think Clancy is so fascinated with terrorists and international intrigue? What is Clancy's background? How many books has Clancy written? Have you ever read any of Clancy's other books?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)