|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the prison that had been holding Miller?
2. Where does the unsuccessful attacker go after the scene at the Mall?
3. How long does it take for the trial to begin?
4. The Police find materials they believe to have been stolen the previous summer from which company?
5. What is Ryan's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Ashley to be curious about Cooley's bookshop? What does Ashley learn on his visit to the store?
2. What happens to jeopardize Ryan's anonymity? Who is going to benefit from the information?
3. Ryan finally gets to leave the hospital and is relieved. Ryan becomes uneasy when he is escorted to Buckingham Palace. Discuss Ryan's experience at Buckingham Palace and how it affects his involvement in the case.
4. What happens after Ryan hears a grenade blast? What does he order the family to do? How does Ryan know what to do?
5. What detail about the visit from the Royals is Ryan not permitted to know? Why does it bother Ryan?
6. What is the situation regarding Ryan's injuries? What is the status of his recovery?
7. What is the problem with listening in on Cooley's phone conversations? Who does Cooley call?
8. What skills are possessed by the unnamed attacker? What is the man's opinion of Jack Ryan?
9. How do Miller and his companions escape from the scene of the ambush? What prohibits police from following the terrorists?
10. Why is it automatically assumed that Ryan will return to the CIA?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the ULA and the PIRA. What do the abbreviations stand for and how are the groups similar? Were the groups ever connected in any way? Explain. Which do you think is more dangerous? Why? Summarize the core mission of each group and the plans used to accomplish that mission.
Essay Topic 2
Write your own international/political story based on "Patriot Games." Use Jack Ryan as the lead character. Supply complete storyboards. Include character information, plot, synopsis, etc. Explain your inspiration.
Essay Topic 3
Dennis Cooley seems to start out in the book as a bookstore owner that happens to pass along vital information to various contacts at the ULA. Somewhere along the way, Cooley becomes savvy to the activities of the ULA and inserts himself as an important person, eventually working directly with O'Donnell. Explain the change in Cooley's role, what precipitated it, and how Cooley felt about the change. What was O'Donnell's reaction to the change? Why do you think O'Donnell did not kill Cooley after the store had been breached? How else could Cooley be a valuable resource for O'Donnell and the ULA?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)