|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word best describes Ryan's feelings when met being taken away from the hospital?
2. The person teams up with an American named ____.
3. What emotion does Ryan display when he hears about the impending arrival?
4. What is the person's role in the PIRA?
5. What is the location of the terrorist training camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ryan angry enough to attack O'Neil? Who stops the confrontation?
2. What happens after Ryan hears a grenade blast? What does he order the family to do? How does Ryan know what to do?
3. Discuss the conversation held between Ryan and Jackson at home. Do the men agree?
4. What is at least one of the main issues between Jack and his father-in-law, Joe Muller?
5. What causes Ashley to be curious about Cooley's bookshop? What does Ashley learn on his visit to the store?
6. The reader is introduced to Dennis Cooley, a bookstore owner. Discuss Cooley and why he is an important part of the story.
7. What valuable information is learned about Alex? What seems to be Alex's main goal?
8. Name at least two famous women who were executed at the Tower of London. Also note the year in which the last execution took place.
9. What is Ryan's state in the hospital? What issue makes Ryan wary?
10. Ryan finally gets to leave the hospital and is relieved. Ryan becomes uneasy when he is escorted to Buckingham Palace. Discuss Ryan's experience at Buckingham Palace and how it affects his involvement in the case.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning Ryan is clearly ill at ease in the presence of the Queen, Duke and other Royals. Discuss in detail the way the Royals are portrayed in the book. Is the portrayal accurate? Do you think Clancy has first hand knowledge of Buckingham Palace? What is the structure of the royal family? How does a monarchy operate? Does the Queen have sole power? What role does the Duke play? How does the relationship between the Royals and the Ryans change?
Essay Topic 2
Jack Ryan begins to feel fear on a level previously unknown to him. Explain Ryan's feelings. Are they realistic? Is there a real reason to feel fear or is Ryan paranoid? What incident set off the fear? How does Ryan relate fear to the everyday life of the Prince of Wales? What does Ryan intend to discuss with the Prince? What might Ryan do to allay his fears? How do the fears affect Cathy and Sally?
Essay Topic 3
Write a bio on Sergeant Major Noah Breckenridge. Breckenridge turns out to be a valuable character in the book. Explain Breckenridge's career, what part he plays in the story and why his presence is valuable.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)