|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ryan is taken to which hospital?
2. Ryan is released from the hospital and is met by which important person?
3. Who is assigned to review the recon photos?
4. Ryan is eager to dismiss his connection to which organization?
5. With whom does Ryan get into an argument at the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to jeopardize Ryan's anonymity? Who is going to benefit from the information?
2. What detail about the visit from the Royals is Ryan not permitted to know? Why does it bother Ryan?
3. What is the next stage of the operation for Miller and O'Donnell? What is Alex's role in the plan?
4. What is the physical state of Cathy and Sally on the day the Royals arrive?
5. Who finds Alex's gun? What type of gun is it? Where is it found?
6. What is Ryan's state in the hospital? What issue makes Ryan wary?
7. Although the evening with the Royals is pleasant, there are underlying issues that create tension. Discuss at least one or two of the underlying issues.
8. What is the catalyst for Ryan to agree to sign on to the CIA? What is Greer's reaction?
9. What is the problem with listening in on Cooley's phone conversations? Who does Cooley call?
10. What is the situation regarding Ryan's injuries? What is the status of his recovery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a great deal of political intrigue involved in the book. This is a common theme for Tom Clancy. Write about Clancy's work. What other books involve Jack Ryan and/or similar themes to the ones presented in "Patriot Games?" Why do you think Clancy is so fascinated with terrorists and international intrigue? What is Clancy's background? How many books has Clancy written? Have you ever read any of Clancy's other books?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning Ryan is clearly ill at ease in the presence of the Queen, Duke and other Royals. Discuss in detail the way the Royals are portrayed in the book. Is the portrayal accurate? Do you think Clancy has first hand knowledge of Buckingham Palace? What is the structure of the royal family? How does a monarchy operate? Does the Queen have sole power? What role does the Duke play? How does the relationship between the Royals and the Ryans change?
Essay Topic 3
Dennis Cooley seems to start out in the book as a bookstore owner that happens to pass along vital information to various contacts at the ULA. Somewhere along the way, Cooley becomes savvy to the activities of the ULA and inserts himself as an important person, eventually working directly with O'Donnell. Explain the change in Cooley's role, what precipitated it, and how Cooley felt about the change. What was O'Donnell's reaction to the change? Why do you think O'Donnell did not kill Cooley after the store had been breached? How else could Cooley be a valuable resource for O'Donnell and the ULA?
This section contains 1,996 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)