|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the captured man?
2. Who is set to arrive in the US the following day?
3. Ryan determines that the members of the ULA most likely have had what kind of training?
4. How many students are in Ryan's class?
5. The person teams up with an American named ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Ryan learns that he has a guard on the door and questions to answer. Discuss the scene.
2. Owens still believes that the information on Miller came from the inside. Discuss Owens' theory and findings on the matter. What does Owens plan to do?
3. Ryan does not lie about his connection to the CIA but omits some details. What is Ryan's connection to the CIA? What does Ryan tell the press?
4. Name at least two famous women who were executed at the Tower of London. Also note the year in which the last execution took place.
5. Describe the opening scene in the book, including the people and locations involved.
6. Who is McKenney and why is he irritated with O'Donnell? Is there a legitimate reason for the annoyance?
7. Which two important figures watch the newscast? What are their individual reactions?
8. What questions does Ryan ask himself when trying to identify patterns within the terrorist network?
9. Why is Ryan angry enough to attack O'Neil? Who stops the confrontation?
10. Ryan is warned not to give out any sensitive information to which person? What is Ryan's opinion of the person? What does the person think of Ryan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dennis Cooley seems to start out in the book as a bookstore owner that happens to pass along vital information to various contacts at the ULA. Somewhere along the way, Cooley becomes savvy to the activities of the ULA and inserts himself as an important person, eventually working directly with O'Donnell. Explain the change in Cooley's role, what precipitated it, and how Cooley felt about the change. What was O'Donnell's reaction to the change? Why do you think O'Donnell did not kill Cooley after the store had been breached? How else could Cooley be a valuable resource for O'Donnell and the ULA?
Essay Topic 2
Jack Ryan is a historian at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. What does it mean to be a historian? Does Ryan teach about history, about the Navy, or something else entirely? What type of students does Ryan have? What else is Ryan called upon to do other than teach? What part of Ryan's job took him to the UK in the first place? How does Ryan's experience switch from the Naval Academy to the CIA? What is Ryan's military training and history? Do you think Ryan is the best person to sign on to the CIA for this case? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write your own international/political story based on "Patriot Games." Use Jack Ryan as the lead character. Supply complete storyboards. Include character information, plot, synopsis, etc. Explain your inspiration.
This section contains 2,058 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)