|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The British police get a tip about which PIRA member?
2. The Ryans are getting ready for which holiday?
3. Which has been unrelenting in the criticism of the Prince?
4. Where does the meeting take place?
5. How many times does Ryan get shot in the opening scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although the evening with the Royals is pleasant, there are underlying issues that create tension. Discuss at least one or two of the underlying issues.
2. Why is it automatically assumed that Ryan will return to the CIA?
3. What news is delivered to McKenney in regards to one of the ULA members? What is implied by O'Donnell regarding an upcoming transfer?
4. Discuss the conversation held between Ryan and Jackson at home. Do the men agree?
5. What technique does Ryan use to take out the first gunman? What does Ryan do to disable the man?
6. How do Miller and his companions escape from the scene of the ambush? What prohibits police from following the terrorists?
7. Why is Owen reluctant to allow Ashley to attend the meeting in Dublin? What convinces Owen to let Ashley go?
8. The reader is introduced to Dennis Cooley, a bookstore owner. Discuss Cooley and why he is an important part of the story.
9. Alex surmises that his gun has been recovered from the quarry. What is Alex's reaction to the news? What is Alex's final determination?
10. What does Ed Donoho do after learning about the accident involving Cathy and Sally? What is the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Owen is apprehensive of letting David Ashley go alone to meet with Murphy of the PIRA. Discuss the purpose of the meeting. Why does Murphy summon Ashley to Dublin? How could Owen and Ashley be sure that the PIRA would not launch an attack against the police? Can the PIRA be trusted? What does Murphy say to convince Ashley that the PIRA was not behind the attack on the Royals? Explain in detail the purpose of the PIRA and the actions they might take to further their cause.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the ULA and the PIRA. What do the abbreviations stand for and how are the groups similar? Were the groups ever connected in any way? Explain. Which do you think is more dangerous? Why? Summarize the core mission of each group and the plans used to accomplish that mission.
Essay Topic 3
Write your own international/political story based on "Patriot Games." Use Jack Ryan as the lead character. Supply complete storyboards. Include character information, plot, synopsis, etc. Explain your inspiration.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)