|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Ryan do for a living?
2. Ryan formerly belonged to which branch of the military?
3. With whom does Ryan get into an argument at the hospital?
4. Which group was responsible for the attack?
5. Who meets Ryan back at the office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem with listening in on Cooley's phone conversations? Who does Cooley call?
2. What skills are possessed by the unnamed attacker? What is the man's opinion of Jack Ryan?
3. Owens still believes that the information on Miller came from the inside. Discuss Owens' theory and findings on the matter. What does Owens plan to do?
4. Why is Owen reluctant to allow Ashley to attend the meeting in Dublin? What convinces Owen to let Ashley go?
5. What information does the doctor give to Ryan and Jackson regarding Cathy's condition? What is said about Sally?
6. Ryan does not lie about his connection to the CIA but omits some details. What is Ryan's connection to the CIA? What does Ryan tell the press?
7. Owens and Ashley look into Watkins' military history. What is learned about Watkins and what may have turned him against the crown?
8. Name at least two famous women who were executed at the Tower of London. Also note the year in which the last execution took place.
9. What is the plan to raid Camp 18? What actually happens?
10. What surprise guest visits Ryan in the hospital? Describe at least part of what is discussed at the meeting.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a full character description on Alexander Constantine/Constantine Duppens. What led Alex to join up with the ULA? Was Alex ever a member of the ULA or PIRA? Is Alex a mercenary, or does he see himself as a man with a mission? What type of training did Alex have before joining the terrorist organization? The author states that Alex has his own agenda, that there is more to come after he is through with the ULA. What does Alex mean when he says there is change on the horizon and he intends to be part of it?
Essay Topic 2
Owen is apprehensive of letting David Ashley go alone to meet with Murphy of the PIRA. Discuss the purpose of the meeting. Why does Murphy summon Ashley to Dublin? How could Owen and Ashley be sure that the PIRA would not launch an attack against the police? Can the PIRA be trusted? What does Murphy say to convince Ashley that the PIRA was not behind the attack on the Royals? Explain in detail the purpose of the PIRA and the actions they might take to further their cause.
Essay Topic 3
Clancy is a master at using foreshadowing to hint at various key pieces of information. Use at least five examples of foreshadowing in the story and explain why each is important. How else could Clancy reveal the pertinent information if he did not use the foreshadowing technique?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)