|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is believed that O'Donnell will not be found because of which of the following?
2. How long does it take to repair Ryan's shoulder in surgery?
3. The attacker is a master of which of the following:
4. Where is Ryan shot the first time?
5. Where is Miller supposed to be taken after leaving the prison? Where is Miller's new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the scene outside the Naval Academy and why it is of importance. Discuss how the incident is resolved.
2. Discuss the scene in which Robby takes the terrorists inside the house by surprise.
3. What is the physical state of Cathy and Sally on the day the Royals arrive?
4. Why is it automatically assumed that Ryan will return to the CIA?
5. What makes Ryan realize how grateful he is for his life in the US?
6. What unexpected event happens at Cooley's bookshop? What is learned when the area is surveyed afterward?
7. What prompts Ryan to attend a lecture at Georgetown? What occurs while he is at the university?
8. What does Breckenridge arrange after the man is apprehended at the gatehouse? Who is the strange man? What is the man's history?
9. Who is the PIRA member discovered by the British police? What has the person supposedly done? What is the person's demeanor?
10. How do Miller and his companions escape from the scene of the ambush? What prohibits police from following the terrorists?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Admiral Greer predicts that he can get Ryan to join the CIA at least on a temporary basis. Explain in detail Greer's job, where he fits into the story, why he wants Ryan, and what his plans include. Also discuss Greer's personal attitude toward Ryan and vice versa.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the ULA and the PIRA. What do the abbreviations stand for and how are the groups similar? Were the groups ever connected in any way? Explain. Which do you think is more dangerous? Why? Summarize the core mission of each group and the plans used to accomplish that mission.
Essay Topic 3
The Prince and Princess of Wales, the Queen of England and the Duke of Edinburgh are all important characters in the book. Explain why Clancy never uses their names. Do you think the prince and princess are Charles and Diana? Do you think the Queen is Elizabeth II? Do you think the Duke of Edinburgh is Prince Phillip? If not, who might they be? Why does Clancy avoid using their names? Do you think Clancy did not want to name them directly for personal reasons? Do you think that Clancy chose not to name them so the references would not date the book? Explain.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)